Why is Contraception Considered Morally Acceptable?

patricius79

Called to Jesus Through Mary
Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But you agree that hormones are not an alien invasion?

What kind of question is this?

It's just that if fertility is not a disease, then why are many women on medications to block fertility for years or perhaps even decades (correct me if I'm confused)?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's just that if fertility is not a disease, then why are many women on medications to block fertility for years or perhaps even decades (correct me if I'm confused)?
You do seem to be confused, and I will happily correct you. This is not a logical question. An if-then statement should consist of two things that are related. Recognizing the fact that it's not a disease has nothing to do with whether or not a person wants children.

I am perfectly fine with altering my body in medically unnecessary ways, though it's important to note that many women who are on these medications do need them for medical reasons. Which makes me curious: Would you say that a married woman who needs birth control medication should not have sex?

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do seem to be confused, and I will happily correct you. This is not a logical question. An if-then statement should consist of two things that are related. Recognizing the fact that it's not a disease has nothing to do with whether or not a person wants children.

I am perfectly fine with altering my body in medically unnecessary ways, though it's important to note that many women who are on these medications do need them for medical reasons. Which makes me curious: Would you say that a married woman who needs birth control medication should not have sex?

Assuming that these birth control medications are not being used with the intention of contraception, and assuming that they are not abortifacient, then there wouldn't be anything wrong with a married women having sex in that situation.

My concern is that I suspect the Pill is abortifacient, which adds a whole other issue, and so I don't know about that situation.

As far as fertility not being a disease, and the issue of wanting children. I didn't connect those two things.

I just connected the issue of treating a positive, healthy thing with medication. I.e., why take medication for a positive health condition?

You would say because someone doesn't want children. But if they strongly are against having children, then they can avoid sex during the fertile period or entirely, depending on the circumstances. Free will in that situation means there is no need for medication.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You would say because someone doesn't want children. But if they strongly are against having children, then they can avoid sex during the fertile period or entirely, depending on the circumstances.
If they prefer to avoid sex, they will do so. If they'd rather use contraception and have sex, they'll do that. You're not providing a "why" to explain why people who don't share your beliefs should do this.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,172.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You believe that abstaining from sex during the fertile period is a form of contraception?

It is an action taken with the specific purpose and intention of preventing pregnancy, to borrow your buzzwords. Not that adding pompous buzzwords makes an argument, but let's see if this approach makes more of an impression.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,172.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
My concern is that I suspect the Pill is abortifacient, which adds a whole other issue, and so I don't know about that situation.

Why would you suspect that?

As far as fertility not being a disease, and the issue of wanting children. I didn't connect those two things.

I just connected the issue of treating a positive, healthy thing with medication. I.e., why take medication for a positive health condition?

Why do you advocate that some couples abstain from sex for a week or two a month if fertility is such a positive thing?

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they prefer to avoid sex, they will do so. If they'd rather use contraception and have sex, they'll do that. You're not providing a "why" to explain why people who don't share your beliefs should do this.

If people don't believe in God, or their faith in God is weak, maybe they won't accept any reasoning about why they should allow God to have a role in deciding if a child is born into the world.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,172.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If people don't believe in God, or their faith in God is weak, maybe they won't accept any reasoning about why they should allow God to have a role in deciding if a child is born into the world.

This seems pretty obvious. You'll also find that people who don't believe in hostile alien life on Mars aren't going to be easily convinced we need to increase defense spending to counter that threat. Perhaps you should think a bit about why people who don't start by agreeing with your conclusions have a hard time taking them seriously.

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is an action taken with the specific purpose and intention of preventing pregnancy, to borrow your buzzwords. Not that adding pompous buzzwords makes an argument, but let's see if this approach makes more of an impression.

You believe that not having sex is an action?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not talking about simply not having sex. I'm talking about actively following NFP or other abstinence-based methods of contraception.

But do you believe that not having sex is an action, as you said in post 1105?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
No, there are also plenty of people who have strong faith but do not feel that God has a problem with us making decisions about reproduction in the same way that we make decisions about every other aspect of our lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, there are also plenty of people who have strong faith but do not feel that God has a problem with us making decisions about reproduction in the same way that we make decisions about every other aspect of our lives.

I think that people with strong faith in God know that our free will does not imply leaving the Creator out of our decisions, especially major decisions.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think that people with strong faith in God know that our free will does not imply leaving the Creator out of our decisions, especially major decisions.
You may think that, but there are still people who disagree with you who have strong faith. You can't change that.

Patricius79's faith =/= "strong" faith. Your personal views are not the standard for everyone else.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,172.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How does post 1110 address your claim in post 1105 that not having sex is an action?

It doesn't explain something I never said, since there'd be no reason for me to do that. I just tried to clear up your reading comprehension problem that led you to think that I did. If you don't understand my attempt, please explain what you don't understand. I can't imagine anyone sincerely misunderstanding what I'm talking about so you'll have to be more specific.

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may think that, but there are still people who disagree with you who have strong faith. You can't change that.

Patricius79's faith =/= "strong" faith. Your personal views are not the standard for everyone else.

You are saying that you believe there are people of strong faith who generally believe that God's Will should be left out of our major decisions?

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't explain something I never said, since there'd be no reason for me to do that. I just tried to clear up your reading comprehension problem that led you to think that I did. If you don't understand my attempt, please explain what you don't understand. I can't imagine anyone sincerely misunderstanding what I'm talking about so you'll have to be more specific.

In post 1105, you said that abstaining from sex is an action. That would mean that in your view not having sex is an action, right?

Upvote 0