Bronx
✟16,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to be someone who always listened to stations like K-Love. A few years ago where I live K-Love moved to another channel and in that channels place came a new Christian station which is slightly better, more rock, some hip hop mixed in but still has the same problems. In CCM stations whether it be local or satellite, all the songs sounds the same, same repetitive chords and voices. Nothing just sounds creative, it's all bland. It's all boring. I am a Christian but I admit I do have my own musical tastes and the slow worship songs are fine but not for me. Why does Christian radio have the most boring and bland collection of Christian music? You really have to search for actual good Christian artist, I been looking at more indie Christian musicians and other alternative bands who you won't hear on CCM radio and they are great. Sometimes I would rather listen to secular music because those artists for the most part care about creating art, why can't Christian music have that mentality, you can still worship God while creating something good.

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Here's a music educator's and gigging jazz bassist's take on some of the artistic issues he has with CCM. I think he makes some good points, primarily from the perspective of a performer:

A favorite online music critic of mine once put it that CCM does not 'work' like other music/art because it is music for people who already have the answer to any and every possible problem in their lives. I thought that was an interesting take on it, and I can definitely see (well, hear) what he means.

Upvote 0

.Jeremiah.

Jul 26, 2021
The South
✟21,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to be someone who always listened to stations like K-Love. A few years ago where I live K-Love moved to another channel and in that channels place came a new Christian station which is slightly better, more rock, some hip hop mixed in but still has the same problems. In CCM stations whether it be local or satellite, all the songs sounds the same, same repetitive chords and voices. Nothing just sounds creative, it's all bland. It's all boring. I am a Christian but I admit I do have my own musical tastes and the slow worship songs are fine but not for me. Why does Christian radio have the most boring and bland collection of Christian music? You really have to search for actual good Christian artist, I been looking at more indie Christian musicians and other alternative bands who you won't hear on CCM radio and they are great. Sometimes I would rather listen to secular music because those artists for the most part care about creating art, why can't Christian music have that mentality, you can still worship God while creating something good.
I experienced the same as you.
Boring and repetitive, very repetitive.

Matthew 6:7
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

I stick to my music now.
Country, rock, Hawaiian, classical.
Much more spiritual that the typical modern Christian music.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I was never really into this movement, genre, sub culture or whatever you call if. But I got plenty of exposure from it from days going to parochial school and later when I was in the Charismatic movement when lots of folks ditched secular rock etc. in favor of this.

Once in a while I love to watch You-tube videos describing the Christian Entertainment industry and culture lots of really great stuff etc. Would post a link, the most recent one had some swear words in it from people in the industry speaking very candidly about their frustrations etc.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
7D9E53A6-0ADF-4EA0-98B7-7F468A12BC80.jpeg
I agree bro it's all garb I've pretty much stopped listening to music in general but that's just me

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Kind like liking Bob Ross he is not going to paint different, so if you do not like it. You might want to find another, either type of christian music or go back to the greats.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Lain Iwakura

Aug 26, 2021
Windsor
✟19,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, it is neither rock, even if it takes some of that style, but it also isn't sacred music, though it wants that same content. Style itself has a message, which in music can be both the content itself or greater than the lyrical content. Attempting to alter rock style to fit Christian 'praise' content fails because it has to alter the style for suitable content. If the style remained there would be dissonance between the style and lyrical content.

Very few artists are skilled enough to bridge the gap. And those that are capable will find that it offends certain sensibilities one way or another, as all fringe and experimental music does, so it cannot find center stage.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It’s manufactured for a market with poor taste and low standards who want something easily digestible and unchallenging. Evangelical culture doesn’t foster the sort of ambiguity or exploration required for genuine creativity or thoughtfulness- everything about Evangelical culture tries to feed you the safe answers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Creativity isn’t a focal point in Christian circles or a priority. You find few places nurturing artists and developing creatives. I’m not surprised the results are lacking. Most end up finding that in secular circles.

I noticed the same with ministry. Everything is formulaic and thinking outside the box isn’t the norm. One of my associates runs a training program for people called to ministry with concepts I’ve never heard.

You need more of that. The familiar has grown stale.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s manufactured for a market with poor taste and low standards who want something easily digestible and unchallenging. Evangelical culture doesn’t foster the sort of ambiguity or exploration required for genuine creativity or thoughtfulness- everything about Evangelical culture tries to feed you the safe answers.
Honestly, ... that's rather insulting.

The christian world is and has been made up of a broad range of gifted individuals ... Bach, Mendelsohnn, Handel, Mozart, Schubert, Stravinsky, Dvorak, Wagner, Messiaen, etc.

https://www.christianheritageedinburgh.org.uk/2016/08/20/spiritual-lives-of-the-great-composers/

Bach is, essentially, the father of Western music. All that we find to love ... or hate ... in our musical context ... rests upon the basics set down by Bach.

Likewise, many of the great scientific minds have also been christian ... Newton, Bacon, Kepler, Pascal, Boyle, Euler, Volta, Ampere, Babbage, Faraday, Riemann, Mendel, Marconi, Sikorsky, etc.

List of Christians in science and technology - Wikipedia

Typically, I value and enjoy your contributions in these forums. But this comment represents simple (and arguably rather uninformed) bias of thought.

Passing over the notion of taste/talent not actually being a human virtue, ... as it neither makes a man/woman any more or less moral, ... I would counter that I constantly find plenty of tasteless trash (schlock might be a great description) ... in art, music, media, etc. ... out in the secular world, as well.

Let's face it, ... most of what humans produce is of an average taste level, at best. Which is why that which is produced by the "greats" stands out.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christian music is a ministry first and foremost. It would fail in its purpose ... if it didn't appeal to the rank and file. Something like a Sunday School teacher singing "Jesus Loves Me" may not qualify to be regarded as art, ... but it is manifestly ministry.

For those who want something more than simple ministry (i.e. art, etc.), ... it is there if you seek it out, ... just as it is in the secular world.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Honestly, ... that's rather insulting.

The christian world is and has been made up of a broad range of gifted individuals ... Bach, Mendelsohnn, Handel, Mozart, Schubert, Stravinsky, Dvorak, Wagner, Messiaen, etc.

https://www.christianheritageedinburgh.org.uk/2016/08/20/spiritual-lives-of-the-great-composers/

Bach is, essentially, the father of Western music. All that we find to love ... or hate ... in our musical context ... rests upon the basics set down by Bach.

Likewise, many of the great scientific minds have also been christian ... Newton, Bacon, Kepler, Pascal, Boyle, Euler, Volta, Ampere, Babbage, Faraday, Riemann, Mendel, Marconi, Sikorsky, etc.

List of Christians in science and technology - Wikipedia

Typically, I value and enjoy your contributions in these forums. But this comment represents simple (and arguably rather uninformed) bias of thought.

Passing over the notion of taste/talent not actually being a human virtue, ... as it neither makes a man/woman any more or less moral, ... I would counter that I constantly find plenty of tasteless trash (schlock might be a great description) ... in art, music, media, etc. ... out in the secular world, as well.

Let's face it, ... most of what humans produce is of an average taste level, at best. Which is why that which is produced by the "greats" stands out.

Yeah, there’s plenty of tasteless garbage outside of CCM, too. I’m continually amazed, for example, that anybody can watch broadcast tv or listen to modern country.

But none of that negates what I said, nor does your list of scientists and artists. Note that I specifically said “Evangelical culture,” not “Christian culture.” Evangelicalism is a specific subset of Christianity that didn’t even exist when some of those folks were alive, and hadn’t yet developed its own culture for many more. Either way, though I didn’t clarify this, I was referring to the contemporary American incarnation of Evangelical culture, which is something like 100-150 years old.

And it’s not like I’m speaking from the outside- I’ve been SBC my entire life and I work in media production. Practically everything about Evangelical culture conditions you to just sit there and uncritically accept what the man on stage/screen is feeding you; and while secular culture has that in abundance as well, secular culture also has a history of fostering media criticism, scientific analysis, and philosophy that’s entirely absent from Evangelical culture. You can’t build a base of quality art on a foundation that consists of nothing more than consumerism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And it’s not like I’m speaking from the outside- I’ve been SBC my entire life and I work in media production.
And it is your contention ... from an insider's viewpoint, no less ... that there is NO contemporary christian music out there worth listening to ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And it is your contention ... from an insider's viewpoint, no less ... that there is NO contemporary christian music out there worth listening to ?

I’m sure there’s some. And it’s definitely gotten better since the 90’s, especially from a technical perspective - CCM no longer sounds cheap even if it’s uninteresting.

I don’t pay attention to the CCM industry much anymore - seems like every time I poke my head in, I see little more than marginal improvements on something that otherwise doesn’t interest me at all.

But I’m a big fan of the bands Johnnyswim and The Civil Wars and they strike me as pretty good examples of what CCM could be and ought to aspire to. If you’re not familiar, The Civil Wars was a duo, one of whom had previously enjoyed a fair amount of success in CCM circles. Johnnyswim is another duo, but a husband and wife, who’ve built their public persona in part on celebrating their marriage and parenthood. And in both cases, their music is great and more interesting than a lot of what passes for CCM.

FWIW, I have many of the same complaints about the country music industry. The fact that The Civil Wars got way more love from the Grammies than they did from the CMA’s ought to make country fans feel ashamed. There are so many great artists in the “americana” and “alt country” spaces, but the country industry keeps pushing and awarding the same handful of people year in and year out.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m sure there’s some. And it’s definitely gotten better since the 90’s, especially from a technical perspective - CCM no longer sounds cheap even if it’s uninteresting.

I don’t pay attention to the CCM industry much anymore - seems like every time I poke my head in, I see little more than marginal improvements on something that otherwise doesn’t interest me at all.

But I’m a big fan of the bands Johnnyswim and The Civil Wars and they strike me as pretty good examples of what CCM could be and ought to aspire to. If you’re not familiar, The Civil Wars was a duo, one of whom had previously enjoyed a fair amount of success in CCM circles. Johnnyswim is another duo, but a husband and wife, who’ve built their public persona in part on celebrating their marriage and parenthood. And in both cases, their music is great and more interesting than a lot of what passes for CCM.

FWIW, I have many of the same complaints about the country music industry. The fact that The Civil Wars got way more love from the Grammies than they did from the CMA’s ought to make country fans feel ashamed. There are so many great artists in the “americana” and “alt country” spaces, but the country industry keeps pushing and awarding the same handful of people year in and year out.
Of course, you do realize that music appreciation is subjective, right ?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Of course, you do realize that music appreciation is subjective, right ?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ?

Sure, but anybody can look at a genre and compare the offerings within that genre for novelty, or complexity, or variety, or whatever metric you wish to apply. I listen to a lot of singer-songwriter style folk music, which is hardly a hotbed of musical innovation, so I’m not going to argue that a lack of progress along one axis is sufficient cause to write off an entire genre. But when you’re derivative along many axes and when your primary business model is in producing a sanitized version of somebody else’s creation…

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The repetetivness is intentional. The pulpit requires it in order to hypnotize the congregation into an altered emotionally driven state. This unfortunately is a Pagan practice that has creeped into Christiandom. I am fully convinced this is not what God has in mind for worship however, be that as it may, modern relevant denominations need like a crutch.
Musical Hypnosis: Sound and Selfhood from Mesmerism to Brainwashing
Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sure, but anybody can look at a genre and compare the offerings within that genre for novelty, or complexity, or variety, or whatever metric you wish to apply. I listen to a lot of singer-songwriter style folk music, which is hardly a hotbed of musical innovation, so I’m not going to argue that a lack of progress along one axis is sufficient cause to write off an entire genre. But when you’re derivative along many axes and when your primary business model is in producing a sanitized version of somebody else’s creation…
The church uses music to minister, ... there is not much use for reinventing the wheel ... not that God doesn't inspire some invention now and again ...

Upvote 0