Nov 9, 2013
✟245,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I’m not sure why you call the atheist posters here trolls. I see counter arguments to the premise of the article But nothing trollish.
I think you are the only atheist who actually read the article and attempted to understand it. The others merely saw an ideological opportunity, skimmed, misrepresented, flouted, and called it a day. Like I said.

It's why, for example, you now find yourself trying to explain to an atheist how someone could move from Islam to atheism to Christianity. I am not convinced that those who require such explanations are engaging in good faith, or evincing any real attempt to understand the article.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think you are the only atheist who actually read the article and attempted to understand it.
My guess is that there are a few here who have commented who are quite familar not just with the article but with the woman herself. What she has written and what has been written about her. She was almost considered an honorary member of the Four Horsemen.

Her early life could not really have been described as overtly religious. But she then became a very strong supporter of Islam in her teenage years. Then rejected that religion completely by the time she was in her early 30's.

She then declared herself to be an atheist and rejected the idea of God and became positively anti-Islam to the point of being described as Islamaphobic. So we've had a few separate stages in her life up to that point. From a passing association with Islam to a dyed-in-the-wool Muslim, to a rejection of Islam, to a vociferous opponent of everything Islamic to declaring a lack of belief in God and becoming a self confessed atheist.

That nutshell of a story would be worth a couple of hundred posts in any thread about her. But then she says she feels she shouldn't have rejected God so she becomes...a Christian. Heaven knows what type of Christian - I still can't find out which denomination she picked. And more importantly...why.

I can't help but suggest that if we give it enough time we might see Buddhism or Hinduism added to her list of belief systems she considers worth a try.

• Informative
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I hope I'm not sending this thread sideways by asking this question, that's not my intent. As we read the article, she mentions "woke theology" as one of the threats to "western civilization" which she says is "eating into the moral fibre of the next generation". If you can explain what she is meaning here, it would be helpful to me.
I'm afraid only she can explain that...

The author has a need that she believes can only be fulfilled by embracing a religious belief. Islam did not work for her in the end so she is giving Christianity a try.
When you reject Islam and are no longer a Muslim, that leaves the question, well, what are you now? Initially, she left Islam for Western secularism, but appears to have concluded that worldview doesn't work either. So where to from here? Since she now credits (rightly in my view) to Christianity the characteristics of Western Civilization that she values, it opens another question: might Christianity actually be true?

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟312,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When you reject Islam and are no longer a Muslim, that leaves the question, well, what are you now? Initially, she left Islam for Western secularism, but appears to have concluded that worldview doesn't work either. So where to from here? Since she now credits (rightly in my view) to Christianity the characteristics of Western Civilization that she values, it opens another question: might Christianity actually be true?
None of that supports that Christianity is true. I may work for her, and other people, but that doesn't make a bulk of Christian claims true.

I understand her going to Christianity, there are many atheists that I have known that became atheists out of anger of their church and not their God, but they didn't know how to separate the two. And when they did, they went to a different church. So this isn't evidence that Christianity is true to me, it is just her needing the comfort and purpose that some religions give.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,869.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Since she now credits (rightly in my view) to Christianity the characteristics of Western Civilization that she values, it opens another question: might Christianity actually be true?
In her spiritual journey she may have found that Christianity works for her. In what form is unclear. The thing is, each of us has our own walk and what works for her may not work for others.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟573,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status