May 19, 2005
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
< staff edit >

You haven't answered my question, though I did answer yours. You can ask me about my opinion of Calvinism's definition of sovereignty in some other thread another time. Right now I'm trying to stay on topic and address the issue of whether Calvinists should accuse Arminians of being reprobates. My answer about the Jesus I believe in should suffice.

So what is your Jesus like? How is he different from mine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
150 percent sure - and you should know as well as anyone how I vehemently defend Calvinism here.

Don't let the naysayers fool you - most Calvinists think like I do. Even James White does. Despite his ongoing battle with Dave Hunt and Norman Geisler he still counts them as brothers.

I submit that those Calvinists who are quick to judge Arminians as non-Christian don't understand Arminianism.

I agree with this 100%!

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
But I am encouraged that a few Calvinists at least recognize that we are saved by believing in the crucified and risen Jesus alone, not by works or Calvinism or Arminianism or anything else. God offered the whole world reconciliation through that simple faith, and all who accept are saved. I stand against any teaching that adds to or subtracts from that essential tenet of the faith.

I don't think you have ever seen anyone on here state that they are saved by the works of Calvin (or Calvinism). However, God didn't offer the whole world reconciliation. He offered the call to reconciliation, which only those who have been regenerated will hear.

Upvote 0

2thePoint

Looking Up
May 19, 2005
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you have ever seen anyone on here state that they are saved by the works of Calvin (or Calvinism). However, God didn't offer the whole world reconciliation. He offered the call to reconciliation, which only those who have been regenerated will hear.

Calvinists have expressed doubt that anyone not accepting their definition of election is probably a reprobate. In this board. More than once. I think that may have been part of the reason the thread was started. So clearly, if salvation can be denied on the basis of rejection of Calvinism's doctrine of election, then they are indeed saying Calvinism is what saves.

But again, to stay on topic, I won't be dragged into another debate on whether God offered the whole world reconciliation; that horse has been beaten to a thousand deaths.

Upvote 0

2thePoint

Looking Up
May 19, 2005
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
< staff edit >

Added, you say? I've added nothing, but Calvinism adds "election".

I agree that salvation is by grace, but that faith is contrasted with works in the scriptures. It was all God's idea, including allowing us to freely choose, because that's the only way for love to be genuine. But faith is not a work, even though it is exercised by man.

At any rate, the question is not whether "Arminianism adds the work of human faith", but whether I believe in the Jesus who died for me and rose again. To that central tenet I neither add nor subtract.

Therefore, you are in danger of falsely accusing Arminians of adding to the gospel (while ignoring what Calvinism adds, by your criteria), and calling those with the Holy Spirit unsaved-- a very dangerous thing to do.

Once again: I believe in the Jesus who died and rose again, not merely to escape hell but to be reconciled to God and return his love. I trust only him to save me.

Therefore, I am saved according to the scriptures. I have the right Jesus, the right God, the right Spirit, nothing added or subtracted. If you say I need more then you add to the gospel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Added, you say? I've added nothing, but Calvinism adds "election".

I agree that salvation is by grace, but that faith is contrasted with works in the scriptures. It was all God's idea, including allowing us to freely choose, because that's the only way for love to be genuine. But faith is not a work, even though it is exercised by man.

At any rate, the question is not whether "Arminianism adds the work of human faith", but whether I believe in the Jesus who died for me and rose again. To that central tenet I neither add nor subtract.

Therefore, you are in danger of falsely accusing Arminians of adding to the gospel (while ignoring what Calvinism adds, by your criteria), and calling those with the Holy Spirit unsaved-- a very dangerous thing to do.

Once again: I believe in the Jesus who died and rose again, not merely to escape hell but to be reconciled to God and return his love. I trust only him to save me.

Therefore, I am saved according to the scriptures. I have the right Jesus, the right God, the right Spirit, nothing added or subtracted. If you say I need more then you add to the gospel.

How are Calvinist's adding election when it is a Biblical principle?

Upvote 0

2thePoint

Looking Up
May 19, 2005
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Faith is a work when one must come up with it on their own or make the decision to accept it. It isn't a work if it is given as a gift and our hearts regenerated so we don't have to decide to accept it or not.

All through scripture we only read of people exercising faith, not where it came from. If I exercise faith in Jesus, profess his name publicly, trust him for my salvation, am reconciled, etc., then what theory you may have on where this faith came from is irrelevant. That's my point: it is NOT the Calvinist view of the origin of faith that saved, neither the Calvinist view of the extent of the atonement, or the number of the elect, or anything else someone may try to add.

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved" is all it says. I believe. I am saved. Period.

I cannot overemphasize this distinction between the exercise of faith in the right Jesus and all theories on how that came about. How else can I say it? How else can scripture say it? Who dares to call me lost or reprobate because I refuse to add or subtract from this simple statement of faith?

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
All through scripture we only read of people exercising faith, not where it came from. If I exercise faith in Jesus, profess his name publicly, trust him for my salvation, am reconciled, etc., then what theory you may have on where this faith came from is irrelevant. That's my point: it is NOT the Calvinist view of the origin of faith that saved, neither the Calvinist view of the extent of the atonement, or the number of the elect, or anything else someone may try to add.

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved" is all it says. I believe. I am saved. Period.

I cannot overemphasize this distinction between the exercise of faith in the right Jesus and all theories on how that came about. How else can I say it? How else can scripture say it? Who dares to call me lost or reprobate because I refuse to add or subtract from this simple statement of faith?

I would like to remind everyone that to state or imply that another member is not a Christian here is a violation of the rules.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It's okay to think it and believe it......... just not "pc" on this forum to passionately express what one believes or thinks........... ;)

This whole thread is dedicated to the belief that we (Calvinists) do consider those who's beliefs differ from ours to be brothers and sisters in Christ. It's pretty rude, IMO, in a thread dedicated to that purpose, for someone who does believe differently to imply that we are not Christian. Just sayin'.

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
By this I submit most Calvinists don't understand Arminianism. I suggest you read Owen's A Display of Arminianism and the Death of Death also try Calvin's Calvinism/Treatise on Predestination. Though Calvin refutes Roman Catholics, his arguements would also apply to Arminians for they hold to the same belief about man's ability.

Thanks but I part ways with Calvin on more than one issue - this is one of them. Same goes for Owen - whose writings I love for the most part.

Upvote 0

Super Kal

the goal is to be more like You, and less like me
Nov 3, 2008
Mankato
✟25,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would more suggest Roger Olson's Arminian Theology: Myths and Realities if you want to fully understand what Arminianism is

There are a few other books that I could recommend, but for the time being, that is the best book I can offer. It deals specifically with some of the misinterpretations and misconceptions that Calvinism has given over the years. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
In "open" debate, I'd think one would take the good and the bad together......... just sayin'

This isn't a debate thread, it is an affirmation thread. But either way, it is still against the rules. Just sayin'.

Upvote 0
E

Eleiou

This isn't a debate thread, it is an affirmation thread.
Really? An affirmation is not what I took from the OP........ and I hold to a Reformed Soteriology.
But either way, it is still against the rules. Just sayin'.
As many Christians know objectively, "rules" without clear guidelines are subjective........... just sayin' ;)

Upvote 0