Why has God allowed the establishment and continuity of the monetary system as a part of our lives?

Aug 21, 2018
Beijing
✟10,703.00
Country
China
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Scripture makes it clear that we cannot serve two Gods, love of money is hatred of God. However, a question that has always troubled me, and has even led to very severe faith crises, is WHY has God allowed establishment and continuity of the monetary system as a thing that makes up such an important part of our lives. In the modern world, where the gap between rich and poor is becoming ever more wide, the scourge of money as something that makes or breaks lives has become ever more apparent. I believe it was not originally intended for money to be a part of our lives. If we really think about it, it is ridiculous how we, out of our "good" consciousness, can give value to something so artificial such as money. Gold, without the value we give to it that's measured by quantity, is simply another metal on Mendeleev's Periodic Table. Though I come from a very fortunate background money wise (though far from the top, nor do i desire to be at the top), a lot of what I see in this world makes me sad, and it is all because of the monetary system we are so tied to:

1. Across the world, and increasingly in my home country China, people are not judged based on the content of their character but by their wealth and social status. Sure, more or less, it has always been this way since the advent of so-called "civilization", but we're becoming more and more primitive and rustic when it comes to spiritual and moral cultivation.

2. It gives me a sense of guilt, as a middle class individual, that anything I have managed to do, to make myself and to make those I care about feel happier, was achieved because of money, not just because of "me" (if you know what I mean). What makes me deserving of a better life over that kid on the street? Assuming we are both of good character. Just because I have more pieces of paper and metal than him? It simply cannot be justified. Why do I somehow deserve a life with less worries than that kid on the street?

3. The pursuit of money and social status brings much stress, anxiety, and it destroys souls. Yet people who are trapped in this never-ending cycle of misery due to money being the only avenue to making any progress in their lives are forced to deal with these harsh realities that they're too powerless to do anything about, and many simply aren't strong enough to resist the psychological crushing and molding that often comes as a result of being forced to survive in this increasingly cold and ruthless world.

4. If I could do anything to help people I would, but what do I need to achieve any kind of tangible result? I NEED MONEY!

5. Money, despite the sheer ridiculousness of it even being a thing, is so frighteningly powerful because of the rich and powerful on top whom 99% of them have no real conscience to speak of. Banks and governments can choose to weave, or not weave money out of thin air based on nothing other than their whim. They throw a few scraps to people when it is to their benefit, but how many of them really care about how your average family is doing? I doubt that it's something that manages to even cross their minds, for 99% of them.

6. Money unites people, but often in non-genuine ways. People, whether as individuals or as part of interest groups, can pretend to smile and get along with each other if there's profit for all of them (and then, they turn their backs against each other). It is extremely fake and full of deception. What a way to be. Money is very much something that also divides people. In the face of money, I have seen and heard stories (as well as experienced it personally) of children and parents, relatives, friends, and couples go to war with each other like they've been archenemies for centuries. If we really get to the bottom of it, it's all fury, accusation, and the utterly despicable faces of humanity all in pursuit of a few pieces of paper and metal. Modern China is becoming absolutely disgusting in this regard, and I know the West is pretty much the same. It's a global cancer, really.

7. The influence of money and states on religion and the church. I recently traveled to England, for the first time ever in my life. I saw some beautiful buildings such as York Minster and St. Paul's in London, but part of me still dislikes the idea of such fancy architecture for the church because it's impure to me. What is the church? A church is a congregation of believers, more than anything else. It should be simple, assuming it even needs to be defined by any sort of physical building. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that the church even has to be a building. I certainly appreciated those historic sites, but there was something that didn't feel right to me. Christianity, or basically anything, changes when it becomes associated with power, wealth, and the state. Of course it is only natural for a ruling class to bind people to its will through some kind of ideological framework, but to me it's all corrupt. I also want to talk about the idea of tithing. Even an expression of piety and God's grace must involve money!

8. Money is something that really numbs the hearts, minds, and souls of humanity because many of us lose our ideals, our faith, and our optimism because we are told, either directly or indirectly, to "stop complaining, it is the way it is, just deal with it and get on with it." It's an endless cycle of hopelessness and suffering for so many of us deep in our hearts. The modern world keeps pushing us towards busyness and productivity, so much that many of us have no real time to reflect on any deeper questions. How much energy in spiritual pursuits will one have when their first and foremost concern is where they'll live and what they'll eat tomorrow? Sure there are those who have (or think they have) achieved that state of tranquility, but let's face it, the vast majority have not. Modern life's overwhelming focus on busyness and productivity (often to no meaningful end other than to make someone else richer), in my view, engineers a kind of passivity and apathy towards spirituality and social injustices. This is all part of a system which has managed to successfully keep us enslaved. The rich, powerful, and greedy on top are keenly aware of the fact that if they didn't try to keep us busy and stressed out all the time, that if we all had more moments of peace and clarity, we'd probably stop and ask ourselves: "What is this all for?" And then? We might start resisting.

9. On the Myers-Briggs I am an INFP, one of the rarest personality types (2-3% of the population, I believe). I've been told to "suck it up and deal with it" way too many times, too many times when I try to express some insight, when I ask questions, I'm told to shut up for being naive, for being a whiner who just can't deal with things as they are. In the past, when I was in a deeper state of depression, I nearly committed suicide by grabbing a knife and trying to slit my wrists. My deep sense of unhappiness in this world led me to seek counseling, but they all told me one way or another to "suck it up, it's not the world's problem, it's your problem for being a whiny little bugger." Sure, next time somebody wants to break my day, try dismissing me when I try to share some ideas and ideals with them. That'll make me back off. I thank God for lifting me up and I've not had any suicide attempt for 4 years, but the sense of sadness persists every time I think about how many humans become utterly inhuman just because of money.

10. Our physical deaths (the first), and our second chance at either eternal life or eternal condemnation at the Judgment are equalizers. However, for many of us, this earthly life we live is still a long one, and it brings me pain to see how people are so blinded by these false truths (AKA lies).

11. If I have my own children someday, what am I going to teach them about the world? Is this a world I'd really want to bring them into? Sure I can tell them that it's mostly rainbows and sunshine, but to me that would be deceiving them and deceiving myself. There are no easy solutions, really, if there are even any.

12. "I know you didn't grow up a rich and spoiled brat like many these days, but still you say these things, still you criticize and express your negative sentiments against the monetary system and what it does to people, because you haven't really lived at the bottom and you don't know what it means to fend for your very survival." That, to me, is an assumption that I'm arrogant and view people who have been less fortunate than me with contempt, when fact is I am nothing but the opposite. And it makes me feel very sad when people have the assumptions towards me when they don't even know, NOR try to understand where I am coming from. Nor do they care, I think. Too little time in the modern world is spent listening, KNOWING. You get to know more people, but you know less people. The whole mainstream culture, whether in the West or the East, is one of being in a hurry for time, for money. It is about the justification of squeezing and compartmentalizing time, things, and human interactions, rather than just living, doing, and savoring. The other day I was talking to a girl I sort of knew, she seemed nice at first so I thought about befriending her (no romantic intentions). I brought up what I typed just now to her, and her reply was:

"I think there are reasons for this. My time is precious, and I hope it becomes ever more precious. I don't think everyone is worth getting to know, and I have many things to do. I divide people into three categories: Those I know, those I don't know, and those I consider friends. You're not at level 3 yet."

To me, not only was an attitude like that so off-putting, it doesn't make sense to me either. How do you get to know someone better UNLESS you spend time with them in person? Yet her reply demonstrates her own "logic".

I thank God for all He has guided me through, but the whole issue of money at a spiritual and philosophical level is extremely difficult for me to reconcile between God, myself, and this life. I find it hard to accept the fact that a just God would allow the advent, and the continued existence of something He knows will bring so much pain, anger, frustration, greed, and heartbreak, and it is even part of His teachings. It really feels like a big slap in the face, the equivalent of saying: "I allowed for this mess to occur, yet now, out of my sheer hypocrisy, I will teach all of you how to deal with it in the midst of your suffering." I can't get my head around it.

• Agree
Reactions: Serving Zion

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Scripture makes it clear that we cannot serve two Gods, love of money is hatred of God. However, a question that has always troubled me, and has even led to very severe faith crises, is WHY has God allowed establishment and continuity of the monetary system as a thing that makes up such an important part of our lives. In the modern world, where the gap between rich and poor is becoming ever more wide, the scourge of money as something that makes or breaks lives has become ever more apparent. I believe it was not originally intended for money to be a part of our lives. If we really think about it, it is ridiculous how we, out of our "good" consciousness, can give value to something so artificial such as money. Gold, without the value we give to it that's measured by quantity, is simply another metal on Mendeleev's Periodic Table. Though I come from a very fortunate background money wise (though far from the top, nor do i desire to be at the top), a lot of what I see in this world makes me sad, and it is all because of the monetary system we are so tied to:

1. Across the world, and increasingly in my home country China, people are not judged based on the content of their character but by their wealth and social status. Sure, more or less, it has always been this way since the advent of so-called "civilization", but we're becoming more and more primitive and rustic when it comes to spiritual and moral cultivation.

2. It gives me a sense of guilt, as a middle class individual, that anything I have managed to do, to make myself and to make those I care about feel happier, was achieved because of money, not just because of "me" (if you know what I mean). What makes me deserving of a better life over that kid on the street? Assuming we are both of good character. Just because I have more pieces of paper and metal than him? It simply cannot be justified. Why do I somehow deserve a life with less worries than that kid on the street?

3. The pursuit of money and social status brings much stress, anxiety, and it destroys souls. Yet people who are trapped in this never-ending cycle of misery due to money being the only avenue to making any progress in their lives are forced to deal with these harsh realities that they're too powerless to do anything about, and many simply aren't strong enough to resist the psychological crushing and molding that often comes as a result of being forced to survive in this increasingly cold and ruthless world.

4. If I could do anything to help people I would, but what do I need to achieve any kind of tangible result? I NEED MONEY!

5. Money, despite the sheer ridiculousness of it even being a thing, is so frighteningly powerful because of the rich and powerful on top whom 99% of them have no real conscience to speak of. Banks and governments can choose to weave, or not weave money out of thin air based on nothing other than their whim. They throw a few scraps to people when it is to their benefit, but how many of them really care about how your average family is doing? I doubt that it's something that manages to even cross their minds, for 99% of them.

6. Money unites people, but often in non-genuine ways. People, whether as individuals or as part of interest groups, can pretend to smile and get along with each other if there's profit for all of them (and then, they turn their backs against each other). It is extremely fake and full of deception. What a way to be. Money is very much something that also divides people. In the face of money, I have seen and heard stories (as well as experienced it personally) of children and parents, relatives, friends, and couples go to war with each other like they've been archenemies for centuries. If we really get to the bottom of it, it's all fury, accusation, and the utterly despicable faces of humanity all in pursuit of a few pieces of paper and metal. Modern China is becoming absolutely disgusting in this regard, and I know the West is pretty much the same. It's a global cancer, really.

7. The influence of money and states on religion and the church. I recently traveled to England, for the first time ever in my life. I saw some beautiful buildings such as York Minster and St. Paul's in London, but part of me still dislikes the idea of such fancy architecture for the church because it's impure to me. What is the church? A church is a congregation of believers, more than anything else. It should be simple, assuming it even needs to be defined by any sort of physical building. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that the church even has to be a building. I certainly appreciated those historic sites, but there was something that didn't feel right to me. Christianity, or basically anything, changes when it becomes associated with power, wealth, and the state. Of course it is only natural for a ruling class to bind people to its will through some kind of ideological framework, but to me it's all corrupt. I also want to talk about the idea of tithing. Even an expression of piety and God's grace must involve money!

8. Money is something that really numbs the hearts, minds, and souls of humanity because many of us lose our ideals, our faith, and our optimism because we are told, either directly or indirectly, to "stop complaining, it is the way it is, just deal with it and get on with it." It's an endless cycle of hopelessness and suffering for so many of us deep in our hearts. The modern world keeps pushing us towards busyness and productivity, so much that many of us have no real time to reflect on any deeper questions. How much energy in spiritual pursuits will one have when their first and foremost concern is where they'll live and what they'll eat tomorrow? Sure there are those who have (or think they have) achieved that state of tranquility, but let's face it, the vast majority have not. Modern life's overwhelming focus on busyness and productivity (often to no meaningful end other than to make someone else richer), in my view, engineers a kind of passivity and apathy towards spirituality and social injustices. This is all part of a system which has managed to successfully keep us enslaved. The rich, powerful, and greedy on top are keenly aware of the fact that if they didn't try to keep us busy and stressed out all the time, that if we all had more moments of peace and clarity, we'd probably stop and ask ourselves: "What is this all for?" And then? We might start resisting.

9. On the Myers-Briggs I am an INFP, one of the rarest personality types (2-3% of the population, I believe). I've been told to "suck it up and deal with it" way too many times, too many times when I try to express some insight, when I ask questions, I'm told to shut up for being naive, for being a whiner who just can't deal with things as they are. In the past, when I was in a deeper state of depression, I nearly committed suicide by grabbing a knife and trying to slit my wrists. My deep sense of unhappiness in this world led me to seek counseling, but they all told me one way or another to "suck it up, it's not the world's problem, it's your problem for being a whiny little bugger." Sure, next time somebody wants to break my day, try dismissing me when I try to share some ideas and ideals with them. That'll make me back off. I thank God for lifting me up and I've not had any suicide attempt for 4 years, but the sense of sadness persists every time I think about how many humans become utterly inhuman just because of money.

10. Our physical deaths (the first), and our second chance at either eternal life or eternal condemnation at the Judgment are equalizers. However, for many of us, this earthly life we live is still a long one, and it brings me pain to see how people are so blinded by these false truths (AKA lies).

11. If I have my own children someday, what am I going to teach them about the world? Is this a world I'd really want to bring them into? Sure I can tell them that it's mostly rainbows and sunshine, but to me that would be deceiving them and deceiving myself. There are no easy solutions, really, if there are even any.

12. "I know you didn't grow up a rich and spoiled brat like many these days, but still you say these things, still you criticize and express your negative sentiments against the monetary system and what it does to people, because you haven't really lived at the bottom and you don't know what it means to fend for your very survival." That, to me, is an assumption that I'm arrogant and view people who have been less fortunate than me with contempt, when fact is I am nothing but the opposite. And it makes me feel very sad when people have the assumptions towards me when they don't even know, NOR try to understand where I am coming from. Nor do they care, I think. Too little time in the modern world is spent listening, KNOWING. You get to know more people, but you know less people. The whole mainstream culture, whether in the West or the East, is one of being in a hurry for time, for money. It is about the justification of squeezing and compartmentalizing time, things, and human interactions, rather than just living, doing, and savoring. The other day I was talking to a girl I sort of knew, she seemed nice at first so I thought about befriending her (no romantic intentions). I brought up what I typed just now to her, and her reply was:

"I think there are reasons for this. My time is precious, and I hope it becomes ever more precious. I don't think everyone is worth getting to know, and I have many things to do. I divide people into three categories: Those I know, those I don't know, and those I consider friends. You're not at level 3 yet."

To me, not only was an attitude like that so off-putting, it doesn't make sense to me either. How do you get to know someone better UNLESS you spend time with them in person? Yet her reply demonstrates her own "logic".

I thank God for all He has guided me through, but the whole issue of money at a spiritual and philosophical level is extremely difficult for me to reconcile between God, myself, and this life. I find it hard to accept the fact that a just God would allow the advent, and the continued existence of something He knows will bring so much pain, anger, frustration, greed, and heartbreak, and it is even part of His teachings. It really feels like a big slap in the face, the equivalent of saying: "I allowed for this mess to occur, yet now, out of my sheer hypocrisy, I will teach all of you how to deal with it in the midst of your suffering." I can't get my head around it.

Money is a way to conduct commerce. Biblically .... it's the love of money, not the money itself and yeah ... the love of money is wide-spread. Many times with the Lord .. it's not the "thing" it's the motive behind the "thing".

Motive - something (such as a need or desire) that causes a person to act

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why God established money IMO.
Everybody can't do everything they need to have done to live.
Unless everybody is able to make there own clothing, grow there own food, build there own houses, and do whatever else needs doing we will need to have something to give to someone else that can do these things for us.
And if everybody could do everything that needed to be done, we would not need each other.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
it's the love of money, not the money itself

The love of money is the root of all evil. Plants usually have more than one root. In this case, the "love of money" has a fellow root - the love of power. And the two go hand in hand. Money in all of our political economies is inevitably linked with power. Power is used to gain wealth, wealth is used to gain power - whether political power or brute power.

Money was an ingenious innovation that, as with virtually all inventions and innovations, man has used for both good and evil. Jesus did not condemn money per se but the seeking after money. He said "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be bonuses." But having wealth warps our sense of the relative importance of things around us, including God and our fellow humans - our neighbours.

In the Old Testament wealth was often seen as a sign of God's blessing. Read the Psalms, Proverbs, and Job, as well as many of the prophets, and you will see that "the righteous will prosper." But Job in particular provides a case study of a man who was not hung up on his wealth and prosperity, or even on the preciousness of his own family. He understood that EVERYTHING was given by God. "The Lord has given; and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." But even he felt that the link between "righteous living" and wealth had somehow been disturbed.

Paul tells us to be thankful in ALL things. He himself had learned to enjoy having things and to enjoy being without. He admonished theives to stop stealing, get productive lives "so that they can give to others." God does give wealth to some, but He expects more of them. The good use of money in supporting the true Kingdom of God can be blessed mightily if God is directing it.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Money is based on inequality (sin) between the haves and have-nots. If we all loved each other as our equal, money would disappear and all would love each other as themselves. Money = the world is under God's wrath.

The early Christians had a communism of love. "Jerusalem "communism" says "what's mine is yours." Modern communism says "what's yours is mine." Modern communism is theft. But either way, the Christian gives to those who ask of him. So whether we give in love or are robbed, our only right in these matters is to give, and not protect our assets." Abraham Kuiper

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The love of money is the root of all evil. Plants usually have more than one root. In this case, the "love of money" has a fellow root - the love of power. And the two go hand in hand. Money in all of our political economies is inevitably linked with power. Power is used to gain wealth, wealth is used to gain power - whether political power or brute power.

Money was an ingenious innovation that, as with virtually all inventions and innovations, man has used for both good and evil. Jesus did not condemn money per se but the seeking after money. He said "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be bonuses." But having wealth warps our sense of the relative importance of things around us, including God and our fellow humans - our neighbours.

In the Old Testament wealth was often seen as a sign of God's blessing. Read the Psalms, Proverbs, and Job, as well as many of the prophets, and you will see that "the righteous will prosper." But Job in particular provides a case study of a man who was not hung up on his wealth and prosperity, or even on the preciousness of his own family. He understood that EVERYTHING was given by God. "The Lord has given; and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." But even he felt that the link between "righteous living" and wealth had somehow been disturbed.

Paul tells us to be thankful in ALL things. He himself had learned to enjoy having things and to enjoy being without. He admonished theives to stop stealing, get productive lives "so that they can give to others." God does give wealth to some, but He expects more of them. The good use of money in supporting the true Kingdom of God can be blessed mightily if God is directing it.

Good post. Motive ... motive

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I really feel for you, and I am on the same buzz about this. I hate the spirit that is in the churches, that you are talking about. Their brochure racks are always empty, or full of the same old shallow "sinner's prayer" junk. Sure enough though, they've invested in a good stockpile of tithing envelopes!

I'd like to show you this brochure that puts money in a perspective as a solution to a problem rather than being a problem in and of itself, because the proper way to regard money is as "transaction in process" .. in it's most crude form, it is a system of ledger for trade, no different from a bartering ledger. The problem is something else in the human's dysfunction, that manifests as an abuse of money.

If I read you right though, your distress is about God's plan .. getting your head around why the world is like this, even though Jesus came 2,000 years ago and fed five thousand people with a few loaves and fishes.

If you could just let me know a bit more about where your thoughts are at with that, what do you think the world should be instead that it is not, and then I will see more clearly how the scriptures might have some insight into answering that for you.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why has God allowed the establishment and continuity of the monetary system as a part of our lives?

I do not believe that God intervenes or even allows what happens in this world in any way whatsoever. If there is evil or misfortune in the world, God is not going to fix it. If it is going to be fixed, it is up to us as Christians or Jews or Muslims or Hindus or atheists to work together to do the fixing. All of us are God's hands in this world. If we don't work to fix it, then we are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums