south oxfordshire
✟574.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
He just keeps repeating it, like it's on rosary beads or something.
God is very active in the world. Just not so visible.

Well, of course, it's marvellous that you can see your non-visible God in action. But I'm sorry to say I just see someone who selectively picks and chooses incidents to attribute to God without looking objectively at whether it's justified or not.

Upvote 0

hasone

Jul 11, 2011
✟7,934.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
There is no best thinking Christianity only well constructed BS.

I'm sure we could discuss who does Santa's laundry for hours and hours and make a good case for both our views,
but it will still not show that Santa exists.

That would be a complete waste of my time because they will not read or listen to reasoned arguments, that's why we have the problems that we do, if it was all down to reason there would be no problems, religions are as we all know completely unreasonable.

I admit I do feel superior to anyone who needs to call on a mythical god in order to get them through the day,
which I must say is an unusual feeling for me because I don't know any Christians.
You are completely right about that because not only did I not reply to another post but I put it in the wrong section,
as you can see I have removed the post.

I disagree strongly with some of your points, but as you said that you posted in the wrong thread, I won't elaborate. I may find my way to wherever you intended to post it and engage you there.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
'Phew' is all I'm allowed to say.

Your allowed to say anything that wouldn't result in a class action lawsuit if printed in newspapers. This forum is not that limiting, unless personal insults are all one can muster.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
British Bulldog answered just fine for me when he wrote:
"Well, of course, it's marvellous that you can see your non-visible God in action. But I'm sorry to say I just see someone who selectively picks and chooses incidents to attribute to God without looking objectively at whether it's justified or not."

I might just ask how do you see your non-visible God in action? or do you just pick and choose and say it's God in action?

God makes sure that I'm informed by the timing of the response. If the time between when I "give up" and simply turn the entire matter over to him is more than 3/4 of a second from the change in my situation then.....well I can't say. It's never been longer than that.

But I do have to sweat through my part first. That's the hard part. "Easy" or egocentric prayers get no obvious answer.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no best thinking Christianity only well constructed BS.I'm sure we could discuss who does Santa's laundry for hours and hours and make a good case for both our views, but it will still not show that Santa exists.That would be a complete waste of my time because they will not read or listen to reasoned arguments, that's why we have the problems that we do, if it was all down to reason there would be no problems, religions are as we all know completely unreasonable.I admit I do feel superior to anyone who needs to call on a mythical god in order to get them through the day, which I must say is an unusual feeling for me because I don't know any Christians.You are completely right about that because not only did I not reply to another post but I put it in the wrong section, as you can see I have removed the post.

You don't back up a thing you say with outside sources.
The very complaint you make about others.

Upvote 0

hasone

Jul 11, 2011
✟7,934.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
What did I write that needed to be backed up? they were all my opinion.

It's true in general that an opinion needs no justification, but if you want others to share your opinion you will need to justify it somehow. A common method would be through the presentation of evidence.

I won't go into more detail unless this derail ends up being the new direction of the thread in general.

Upvote 0

hasone

Jul 11, 2011
✟7,934.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
First off I am not concerned with people sharing my opinion if I were I would not be on a religious forum.

Perhaps the reason I do not use "A common method would be through the presentation of evidence" is because any evidence presented here is totally ignored, they have no evidence to support what they believe now so how can we expect them to read or believe any evidence I/we present?

They believe what they believe because they want to believe it and they are not in the least bit interested whether it's true or not they just want to believe it.

Why, then, are you here? If, as you say, you can't any Christian's mind, why talk to them?

(that is what you're saying, right?)

again, I disagree with some of your statements and/or find them to be fallacious, but will refrain from elaborating at the moment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hasone

Jul 11, 2011
✟7,934.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
There maybe a few here who are on the edge or who are dissatisfied or just plain fed up with the lies they are being fed, it costs me nothing and it might just help someone, plus I'm British and we don't get so many of them here,
it's fascinating to watch and what they say they believe is just crazy, I can't wait to see what they will come up with next, it's sad and I shouldn't like it so much but it has the attraction of a soap opera only these lives are real.

There are a lot of Christians in Britain. By Christians do you perhaps mean creationists? Do you really live in a place where there are no Christians? Everyone you know is an atheist?

Again, I disagree with what I know of the attitude/methods/statements, but won't elaborate until I've gotten a fuller picture of it.

Upvote 0

Phileas

Aug 31, 2009
✟8,312.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are a lot of Christians in Britain. By Christians do you perhaps mean creationists? Do you really live in a place where there are no Christians? Everyone you know is an atheist?

Again, I disagree with what I know of the attitude/methods/statements, but won't elaborate until I've gotten a fuller picture of it.

In Wales the largest population are sheep and as far as I know sheep aren't all that religious. Except maybe a few who believe in Baaaddhism.

Upvote 0

British Bulldog

Jul 8, 2011
south oxfordshire
✟574.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative

Religion in Britain is a minority interest. I think I only know one person who is actively Christian and even he laughs at Creationists. We occasionally have a programme on tv about Creationists in America in the same way you might have a programme about people claiming to be abducted by aliens. They are taken about as seriously over here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Religion in Britain is a minority interest. I think I only know one person who is actively Christian and even he laughs at Creationists. We occasionally have a programme on tv about Creationists in America in the same way you might have a programme about people claiming to be abducted by aliens. They are taken about as seriously over here.
Are you saying the Pilgrims did the right thing in getting out of England?

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟9,913.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

I suppose the man of God should not be surprised that so many scoff at creationism when so many scoff just as readily at God's call to men to repent of their sins and live in holiness.

Upvote 0

British Bulldog

Jul 8, 2011
south oxfordshire
✟574.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
I suppose the man of God should not be surprised that so many scoff at creationism when so many scoff just as readily at God's call to men to repent of their sins and live in holiness.

Yes, that's the sort of stuff.

Upvote 0

Phileas

Aug 31, 2009
✟8,312.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Did you know that if Wales was flattened out it would be bigger than England.

Dude, not in front of the Americans, it was only a jest. England smells anyway; Scotland is where the magic lies.

Back (vaguely) on topic; I think I've only ever met a couple of creationists, but they were not making song and dance of it so it wasn't entirely clear. Talking openly about religion or politics to strangers is just seen as a bit of an embarassing conversation stopper. Better to keep talk to the weather and idle gossip.

Are you saying the Pilgrims did the right thing in getting out of England?
It's not that religion is actively suppressed over here, it's just not that popular or influential anymore. Like morris dancing or handlebar moustaches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm just telling you about how you are perceived in a different part of the world.
Thanks, but I don't need a different part of the world to tell me how I'm perceived:

Luke 21:17 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It's not that religion is actively suppressed over here...
I know religion isn't actively suppressed over there.

Over there, you have one of the largest mosques in all of Europe.

I don't think you would even dare to try to actively suppress religion.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Dude, not in front of the Americans, it was only a jest. England smells anyway; Scotland is where the magic lies.
I saw a conversation on Pogo once, where a guy from Wales reamed a guy from England, who make an innocent comment about the guy from Wales being English.

The guy from Wales gave him a lecture on he being a Celt.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Wales the largest population are sheep and as far as I know sheep aren't all that religious. Except maybe a few who believe in Baaaddhism.

The 2001 census showed that slightly less than 10% of the Welsh population are regular church- or chapel-goers (a slightly smaller proportion than in England or Scotland), although about 70% of the population see themselves as Christian in some way.
Religion in Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.