Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Bruce R McConkie was a so-called LDS Apostle and the Son in Law of Joseph Fielding Smith a Mormon So-called prophet. Yet his work is unofficial . Mormons who agree with there leaders tells us it's official doctrine, if they disagree it's unofficial .
Kettle calling the stove black.
"The term "Apocrypha" commonly appears in Christian religious contexts concerning disagreements about biblical canonicity. Apocryphal writings are a class of documents rejected by some[who?] as being either pseudepigraphical or unworthy to be properly called Scripture, though, as with other writings,[which?] they may sometimes be referenced for support, such as the lost Book of Jasher."

Upvote 0

Christian Apologist

Site Supporter
Apr 21, 2019
Vancouver Washington
Visit site
✟155,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Without proper context, it is hard to judge either article. Both articles were cut short.

There in proper context, I could post more since I belong to Gospelink, here's the same information from another LDS leader

"Let us consider the great mercy of God for a moment. a Chinese, born in China with a dark skin, and with all the handicaps of that race seems to have little opportunity. but think of the mercy of god to Chinese people who are willing to accept the gospel. In spite of whatever they might have done in the pre-existence to justify being born over there as Chinamen, if they now, in this life, accept the gospel and live it the rest of their lives they can have the Priesthood, go to the temple and receive endowments and sealings, and that means they can have exaltation. Isn't the mercy of God marvelous?

Think of the Negro, cursed as to the priesthood... This Negro, who in the pre-existence lived the type of life which justified the Lord in sending him to the earth in the lineage of Cain with a black skin, and possibly being born in darkest Africa--if that Negro is willing when he hears the gospel to accept it, he may have many of the blessings of the gospel. In spite of all he did in the pre-existent life, the Lord is willing, if the Negro accepts the gospel with real, sincerer faith, and is really converted, to give him the blessing of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. If that Negro is faithful all his days, he can and will enter the celestial kingdom. He will go there as a servant, but he will get celestial glory. (Race Problems--As They Affect The Church, An address by Mark E. Petersen at the Convention of Teachers of Religion on the College level; Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, August 27, 1954.)

Celestrail Servant.jpg

Upvote 0

Christian Apologist

Site Supporter
Apr 21, 2019
Vancouver Washington
Visit site
✟155,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Kettle calling the stove black.
"The term "Apocrypha" commonly appears in Christian religious contexts concerning disagreements about biblical canonicity. Apocryphal writings are a class of documents rejected by some[who?] as being either pseudepigraphical or unworthy to be properly called Scripture, though, as with other writings,[which?] they may sometimes be referenced for support, such as the lost Book of Jasher."

Is the "Apocrypha" or the Book of Jasher part of Mormon Canon ?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
There in proper context, I could post more since I belong to Gospelink, here's the same information from another LDS leader

"Let us consider the great mercy of God for a moment. a Chinese, born in China with a dark skin, and with all the handicaps of that race seems to have little opportunity. but think of the mercy of god to Chinese people who are willing to accept the gospel. In spite of whatever they might have done in the pre-existence to justify being born over there as Chinamen, if they now, in this life, accept the gospel and live it the rest of their lives they can have the Priesthood, go to the temple and receive endowments and sealings, and that means they can have exaltation. Isn't the mercy of God marvelous?

Think of the Negro, cursed as to the priesthood... This Negro, who in the pre-existence lived the type of life which justified the Lord in sending him to the earth in the lineage of Cain with a black skin, and possibly being born in darkest Africa--if that Negro is willing when he hears the gospel to accept it, he may have many of the blessings of the gospel. In spite of all he did in the pre-existent life, the Lord is willing, if the Negro accepts the gospel with real, sincerer faith, and is really converted, to give him the blessing of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. If that Negro is faithful all his days, he can and will enter the celestial kingdom. He will go there as a servant, but he will get celestial glory. (Race Problems--As They Affect The Church, An address by Mark E. Petersen at the Convention of Teachers of Religion on the College level; Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, August 27, 1954.)
(New Testament | Mark 10:44)

44 And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
(New Testament | Mark 10:44)

44 And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all.

Somebody forgot to tell JS---you can't get into the presence of God without his say so. And he claims he is going to be judging others, not a servant of all.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Somebody forgot to tell JS---you can't get into the presence of God without his say so. And he claims he is going to be judging others, not a servant of all.
Did Paul have the say so of Jesus Christ?

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 15:3 - 8)

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

Will the apostles judge Israel:

(New Testament | Matthew 19:27 - 28)

27 ¶ Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Wasn't Judas one of the twelve?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Did Paul have the say so of Jesus Christ?

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 15:3 - 8)

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

Will the apostles judge Israel:

(New Testament | Matthew 19:27 - 28)

27 ¶ Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Wasn't Judas one of the twelve?

He lost his place when he betrayed Jesus and instead of repenting, hanged himself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Of what exactly?
Joseph Smith was admonished by God on a few occasions. This was recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants. Paul was not perfect either and admitted so. He is responsible for much of the Bible:

(New Testament | 1 Timothy 1:15 - 16)

5 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Bruce R McConkie was a so-called LDS Apostle and the Son in Law of Joseph Fielding Smith a Mormon So-called prophet. Yet his work is unofficial . Mormons who agree with there leaders tells us it's official doctrine, if they disagree it's unofficial .

Anything that is official in nature will be released by the church itself, and so will the copyright page will either read "Copyright Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" or "Copyright Intellectual Reserve".

Deseret, Bookcraft, and various other imprints are third-party publishers who have no authority to declare something official or not, so if you see their copyright on a work it means that the work isn't official.

"Mormon Doctrine"? Bookcraft, IIRC.

Yeah.

McConkie never offered it up to the main body of the leadership for vetting as an official work, and instead chose to release it privately through a third-party publisher.

It's that simple.

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Christian Apologist

Site Supporter
Apr 21, 2019
Vancouver Washington
Visit site
✟155,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • Agree
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I did know that but making a point Mormons don't claim them either
Joseph Smith asked God if he should translate the Apocrypha and this was His reply:

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 91:1 - 6)

1 VERILY, thus saith the Lord unto you concerning the Apocrypha—There are many things contained therein that are true, and it is mostly translated correctly;
2 There are many things contained therein that are not true, which are interpolations by the hands of men.
3 Verily, I say unto you, that it is not needful that the Apocrypha should be translated.
4 Therefore, whoso readeth it, let him understand, for the Spirit manifesteth truth;
5 And whoso is enlightened by the Spirit shall obtain benefit therefrom;
6 And whoso receiveth not by the Spirit, cannot be benefited. Therefore it is not needful that it should be translated. Amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Joseph Smith was admonished by God on a few occasions. This was recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants. Paul was not perfect either and admitted so. He is responsible for much of the Bible:

(New Testament | 1 Timothy 1:15 - 16)

5 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Where?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is basic information, so much so that attempting to cite the work as a reference pretty much discredits your material in the eyes of anyone who knows what's going on.
Does this include your own church, who is known to quote Mormon Doctrine in its own, church published teaching manuals?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And yet it still shows up in your teaching manuals. Ex:

Invite a student to read the following statement by Elder Bruce R. McConkie of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:

100x133.jpg

Eternal life is the name given to the kind of life that our Eternal Father lives. … God’s life is eternal life; eternal life is God’s life—the expressions are synonymous” (Mormon Doctrine,2nd ed. [1966], 237).
https://www.lds.org/manual/old-test...s-1-5/lesson-2-the-plan-of-salvation?lang=eng

• Winner
Upvote 0