Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Did Paul have the say so of Jesus Christ?

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 15:3 - 8)

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

Will the apostles judge Israel:

(New Testament | Matthew 19:27 - 28)

27 ¶ Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Wasn't Judas one of the twelve?

Judas was a devil. He won't even be in heaven.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Joseph Smith was admonished by God on a few occasions. This was recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants. Paul was not perfect either and admitted so. He is responsible for much of the Bible:

I asked of what he repented and where is that found.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
And yet it still shows up in your teaching manuals. Ex:

Invite a student to read the following statement by Elder Bruce R. McConkie of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:

100x133.jpg

Eternal life is the name given to the kind of life that our Eternal Father lives. … God’s life is eternal life; eternal life is God’s life—the expressions are synonymous” (Mormon Doctrine,2nd ed. [1966], 237).
Lesson 2: The Plan of Salvation
If what McConkie says what is true in his book, we can quote it anywhere. This particular saying is absolutely the truth. Some of what McConkie says in his book is controversial, so those parts we count as his opinion, but generally do not quote them in manuals.

I have quoted some of his controversial sayings when I have taught because they are interesting, but we do not see them as doctrines of the church.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I will read JS again only if you read EGW's The Great Controversy!!
If you read JS history you will find that on occasion the Lord does chide the prophet for not obeying explicitly the word of the Lord to him.

It is you that asked the question, where can this information be found. I have no quesitons about EGW's the Great Controversy. However if it were online, I would read at least parts of it. I will look. I have always thought Ellen White had a kindred spirit to JS. She was a bold outspoken follower of Christ and she says she received information from him as I remember. So I liked her.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I will read JS again only if you read EGW's The Great Controversy!!
Well I did read Was Ellen White a Prophet of God? A True Prophet and I found a couple of real good prophecies and some good health advice, that JS said also. If you read the word of wisdom in the D&C you will find similar types of advice for our members too.

I also found this interesting saying.
"a true prophet will proclaim that Jesus came in the flesh as fully human, capable of sin. I think you have argued with me that Jesus was fully God everlasting. But if he was capable of sin, sorry, that does not bode well for him being fully God. It rather follows what the Church of Jesus Christ says, that he was in the process of becoming fully God in his earthly ministry, capable of sin, learning obedience from what he suffered, being perfected through his trials etc.

Ellen also said in the later 1800's that it will not be long we will have to give up animal food. What's "it will not be long" before you pull the plug on this prophecy?

Ellen also said that we will even discard milk. Again, how long until we say it has been long enough for this prophecy to be fulfilled.

I think I will now read EGW's, the Great Controversy and see what else she says that is interesting.

Don't get me too wrong, I love her attitude, but I am going to hold her to the same stringent measure that you hold JS.

Upvote 0

Christian Apologist

Site Supporter
Apr 21, 2019
Vancouver Washington
Visit site
✟155,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does this include your own church, who is known to quote Mormon Doctrine in its own, church published teaching manuals?

Seems Mormons have a double standard

• Agree
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Well I did read Was Ellen White a Prophet of God? A True Prophet and I found a couple of real good prophecies and some good health advice, that JS said also. If you read the word of wisdom in the D&C you will find similar types of advice for our members too.

I also found this interesting saying.
"a true prophet will proclaim that Jesus came in the flesh as fully human, capable of sin. I think you have argued with me that Jesus was fully God everlasting. But if he was capable of sin, sorry, that does not bode well for him being fully God. It rather follows what the Church of Jesus Christ says, that he was in the process of becoming fully God in his earthly ministry, capable of sin, learning obedience from what he suffered, being perfected through his trials etc.

Ellen also said in the later 1800's that it will not be long we will have to give up animal food. What's "it will not be long" before you pull the plug on this prophecy?

Ellen also said that we will even discard milk. Again, how long until we say it has been long enough for this prophecy to be fulfilled.

I think I will now read EGW's, the Great Controversy and see what else she says that is interesting.

Don't get me too wrong, I love her attitude, but I am going to hold her to the same stringent measure that you hold JS.

We might get this thread closed for off topic!
However, Yes, Jesus was capable of sin, how can you be tempted if you can not fail? It would not be a temptation then. That was not Jesus before the incarnation. Jesus was both, at times His divinity shone through, but most of what He did, He did the as the Son of Man---to show us that with God, all things are possible. He was fully man as such still did not sin---He was fully God as such He commanded the elements and could have, at any time, called billions of angels to deliver Him out of this world--and did not. The agony at the Garden was as fully human. So was the temptation at the wilderness. He was tempted in all ways as we. Temptation requires the possibility of failure.

As for animal productids---Even McDonalds is serving meat substitute now as are most restaurants and many are offering vegan, there are vegan restaurants all over the place also. The time has come and even many celebrities have become vegans. Haven't you noticed? Look up Impossible burger, Beyond Meat, it's all over the place. There are an estimated 7.3 million vegetarians now, and gaining.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Does this include your own church, who is known to quote Mormon Doctrine in its own, church published teaching manuals?

I *know* you and I have been over this before.

Individual portions of the work have theological merit, and those portions have indeed been cited.

Thing is, what's cited represents the most current edition of the work as of the time the citation is made. If there's a works cited page, one can check it for verification.

In contrast, critics of the church love to quote the earliest editions of the work they can find, not cite the edition, and falsely present it as being 100% canonical.

Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
JESUS WAS NOT WRONG!

John 6:70
Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?
Yes Jesus knew he was a devil and still said that the twelve apostles would sit on twelve thrones and judge Israel:

(New Testament | Luke 22:28 - 30)

28 Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations.
29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;
30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Judas was one of the apostles Jesus addressed, therefore Judas will sit on a throne and judge Israel. However, you said "Judas was a devil. He won't even be in heaven." You are saying that Jesus was wrong.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yes Jesus knew he was a devil and still said that the twelve apostles would sit on twelve thrones and judge Israel:

(New Testament | Luke 22:28 - 30)

28 Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations.
29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;
30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Judas was one of the apostles Jesus addressed, therefore Judas will sit on a throne and judge Israel. However, you said "Judas was a devil. He won't even be in heaven." You are saying that Jesus was wrong.

He lost his seat-=--it goes to his replacement.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0