Why does God allow suffering? Bear in mind, those that don't need a perfect distraction, suffer less

How less than perfect can God's answer to suffering be?

• It has to be perfect!

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • It's a matter of chance!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends on what you've said!

• It depends on the Devil!

• It depends on lots of things!

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • It doesn't matter.

• It matters a little bit.

• I wish it mattered less...

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I'm thankful for whatever God can give (selah)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Zion Princess

Jul 6, 2021
Cincinnati
✟10,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is my theory (based on my studies) on what the meaning of suffering is and how it relates to the fall of Man in Genesis:
Suffering is part of the redemption story. Without suffering we wouldn’t fully understand the depths of good and evil. We could not comprehend what real love or gratitude really means. It wasn’t God’s choice to put us in a world of suffering. It was man’s choice and we are a part of this fallen world. This world truly is a mix of good and evil. There is truly both to be found. A lot of life is random. Sometimes you will encounter more good and sometimes more bad and every combination. Adam and Eve ate the fruit because they were curious and wanted to know what good and evil were. They knew only good, so I take this as meaning when good encounters evil and they collide. What happens? Suffering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Suffering is part of the redemption story. Without suffering we wouldn’t fully understand the depths of good and evil. We could not comprehend what real love or gratitude really means.
I disagree! We don’t need to experience pain to appreciate comfort, we don’t need to taste nasty in order to appreciate delicious, and we don’t need to experience evil to appreciate good. One does not require the other.
It wasn’t God’s choice to put us in a world of suffering. It was man’s choice and we are a part of this fallen world.
Well there you go! If evil was necessary in order to experience good, God would have made a world of suffering in order for us to appreciate good.
Adam and Eve ate the fruit because they were curious and wanted to know what good and evil were.
Where in the Bible does it say Adam and Eve ate the fruit because they wanted to know good and evil?

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,282.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So why was it so important for someone to tell them they were naked?
Nobody told them they were naked. Read Genesis 3:7 again:
“And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked".

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,282.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Adam and Eve ate the fruit because they were curious and wanted to know what good and evil were.

They weren't curious. They were disobedient. To say they were curious gives credence to satan's lies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zion Princess

Jul 6, 2021
Cincinnati
✟10,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I disagree! We don’t need to experience pain to appreciate comfort, we don’t need to taste nasty in order to appreciate delicious, and we don’t need to experience evil to appreciate good. One does not require the other.

Well there you go! If evil was necessary in order to experience good, God would have made a world of suffering in order for us to appreciate good.

Where in the Bible does it say Adam and Eve ate the fruit because they wanted to know good and evil?[/QUOTE

it’s hard to respond to these things unless I know what you do believe because I don’t have any context otherwise. You’re just telling me what you don’t agree with. The first 2 things are part of my theory, not fact, so to that I say Ok cool man, agree to disagree. the third thing you can find in Genesis.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zion Princess

Jul 6, 2021
Cincinnati
✟10,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They can be both. They were also infants, so what did God expect?
Yes, I agree. They can be both. Most biblical scholars agree with the interpretation of the text that Adam and Eve were created with age (fully grown adults). Infants wouldn’t be at the age of accountability to make that type of decision.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I agree. They can be both. Most biblical scholars agree with the interpretation of the text that Adam and Eve were created with age (fully grown adults). Infants wouldn’t be at the age of accountability to make that type of decision.
Fully grown physically. And they knew how to walk and talk, but they hadn't had a chance to mature mentally. No way they made it even a year before The Fall or there would have been more than two folk getting kicked out of The Garden (if you catch my drift).

• Haha
Reactions: Zion Princess
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Nobody told them they were naked. Read Genesis 3:7 again:
“And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked".
The person I was responding to claimed somebody had to tell them they were naked. I was responding in the context of what he believes.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
it’s hard to respond to these things unless I know what you do believe because I don’t have any context otherwise. You’re just telling me what you don’t agree with. The first 2 things are part of my theory, not fact, so to that I say Ok cool man, agree to disagree. the third thing you can find in Genesis.
Fair enough; so let's go with what you believe. So you believe the presence of evil is necessary in order to appreciate good? Does this mean evil will be present in Heaven in order for those who make it there can appreciate the good there?

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The way I would look at this is that such a people would forget the God who made them, and instead worship their own righteousness. God wants to commune with people who want to know Him, and love Him.
But then that means that if God had made us righteous and with free will we would not then need him.

God building us to need him is a bit creepy.

• Haha
Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
As we would have been.
Then you have to wonder why God mandated that the way he made humans- naked, is in and of itself wrong. Seems odd that he would make us in his image and then say "but that image must be covered".

Upvote 0