Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Your argument is exactly the same thing as asking a Christian why they go to the doctor when they are deathly sick instead of trusting that Jesus will heal them. In the case of expecting God to heal you as opposed to going to the doctor, we need to realize that one way God may provide your healing is by God enabling the medical field to be able to treat you.

One means of God's protection may be His giving you the strength and ability to protect your family and yourself by being able to own and use a gun.

Creative speculation but I don't get a god that gives you a killing weapon to shoot your neighbor in case they shoot you first. Also a gun that can accidentally kill your own child ...

or a god that gives your child cancer so you get to watch as the little suffers until she draws her last breath.

Nah, you want to trust guns and doctors instead of a miracle cure from Jesus.

If I had the powers of making important requests come true, no one would need a gun or a human doctor. I would just.do.it.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My understanding is that The Sermon on the Mount did not originate from Jesus. It's borrowed from the Talmud.
Or it's borrowed from Buddhists. Or from the Zoroastrians. Or the Essenes. Or or or.

Nobody seems to have a completely bulletproof source, mind you. They're just pretty sure that Our Lord ganked His ideas from someone/something else.

Not really! For me, that's a lot of speculation to justify killing. To me, turning the other cheek means you do not retaliate.
Um, it isn't speculation. Do some research about ancient society in the East and the Middle East. Or heck, just look at their social customs in the modern day to see plenty of leftovers of the shame/honor paradigm.

Jesus sacrificed his life to rid humanity of original sin.

Original sin ORIGINATED from Adam and Eve in the creation story.

Without Adam and Eve, wouldn't the whole Jesus story come apart?
The reality of sin is not disputed. Sacred Scripture truthfully describes mankind as having fallen into sin. The first few chapters of Genesis offer an account of how that happened. How literally one chooses to take that account of the fall into sin is for the individual to decide. The reality of the fall is what it is. The fact of sin is what matters. It's an undeniable reality.

Some Christians choose to believe in a literal Adam and a literal Eve eating literal fruit in literal disobedience to God's literal instructions. I am in no position to say that those people are right or that they're wrong. I'm simply saying that there is room for different opinions on the subject.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Why does a Christian need a fire extinguisher?

Why does a Christian need a smoke alarm?

Why does a Christian need a burglar alarm?

Why does a Christian need a seat belt?

Why does a Christian need locks on their doors?

God can and does take care of His children, but that doesn't mean they should stand around being lazy and stupid, waiting for Him to do it all. They have the responsibility to do what they can.

And sometimes, with or without their defensive efforts, they get hurt or killed.
God is in charge, and we live or die at His bidding.

Sometimes God's help takes the form of steady aim and quick reflexes.
So Jesus' promise is no good to you?
John 14:14
If you will ask for anything in my name, I will do it"

The creatives responses for the justification of killing weapons is interesting though. Are you calling "turning the other cheek" as being lazy since it means NOT to kill your attacker?

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,402.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why is everyone ignoring the promise from Jesus, so that you can ask him to protect you from harm?

I just know he is up there, because he has interacted with me. And God can bless us with things we should not doubt that were from God. From experience, i say prayer works but sometimes you don't get an answer immediately, sometimes we can ask for years for something the bible supports, but God seems silent, but other times God responds with great things when we are not expecting anything.
When we get to heaven we should know from what bad things God protected us while on earth.

Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Or it's borrowed from Buddhists. Or from the Zoroastrians. Or the Essenes. Or or or.

Nobody seems to have a completely bulletproof source, mind you. They're just pretty sure that Our Lord ganked His ideas from someone/something else.

Um, it isn't speculation. Do some research about ancient society in the East and the Middle East. Or heck, just look at their social customs in the modern day to see plenty of leftovers of the shame/honor paradigm.

The reality of sin is not disputed. Sacred Scripture truthfully describes mankind as having fallen into sin. The first few chapters of Genesis offer an account of how that happened. How literally one chooses to take that account of the fall into sin is for the individual to decide. The reality of the fall is what it is. The fact of sin is what matters. It's an undeniable reality.

Some Christians choose to believe in a literal Adam and a literal Eve eating literal fruit in literal disobedience to God's literal instructions. I am in no position to say that those people are right or that they're wrong. I'm simply saying that there is room for different opinions on the subject.
You appear to be telling me the Bible is unreliable. So anything goes? That's not what Christianity is about.

Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I just know he is up there, because he has interacted with me. And God can bless us with things we should not doubt that were from God. From experience, i say prayer works but sometimes you don't get an answer immediately, sometimes we can ask for years for something the bible supports, but God seems silent, but other times God responds with great things when we are not expecting anything.
When we get to heaven we should know from what bad things God protected us while on earth.
Isn't that speculation and wishful thinking?

I was hoping for a concrete reason for why a Christian does not turn the other cheek since their demise would mean an instant meeting with Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So Jesus' promise is no good to you?

The creatives responses for the justification of killing weapons is interesting though. Are you calling "turning the other cheek" as being lazy since it means NOT to kill your attacker?

Are you KIDDING?!

I could fill a book with close calls where God saved me (and others with me) from death or serious injury. I could give you examples, but I doubt that you would believe them.

No, I trust in God for my safety, and for my family's. I've been in situations (like mission trips in other countries) where guns were illegal. I was as safe there as here at home with a gun within reach.

So why does a Christian need a gun?

Some of us feel the need to "pick up our end of the log" when we can.
"Faith without works is dead"
But in any event, God protects us, often from hazards we never anticipate.

Turning the other cheek is not lazy, and requires a great deal of courage and resolve.

But often, it is not prudent.

If someone were forcibly abducting one of your children, would you say
"Hey! You missed the others! Take them too!"

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,402.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Isn't what speculation and wishful thinking?

I was hoping for a concrete reason for why a Christian does not turn the other cheek since their demise would mean an instant meeting with Jesus.

We are not supposed to be 'free game' stomped by everyone kind of thing, that is not what turn the other cheek is about i think. Even Jesus sometimes defended himself.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That is not according to scripture.

Oh? Proof-texting from an atheist? It's a silly game, but I will play at least one round:

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword" (Matthew 10:34).

He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one" (Luke 22:36).

If a thief is found breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there shall be no bloodguilt for him (Exodus 22:2).

The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, "Avenge the people of Israel on the Midianites. Afterward you shall be gathered to your people" (Numbers 31:1).​

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Oh? Proof-texting from an atheist?

You obviously don't know many atheists, esp the ones from religious backstories. They have actually read the Bible, unlike the vast majority of cultural Christians who cannot name even one out of 66 books.

It's a silly game, but I will play at least one round:

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword" (Matthew 10:34).

He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one" (Luke 22:36).

If a thief is found breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there shall be no bloodguilt for him (Exodus 22:2).

The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, "Avenge the people of Israel on the Midianites. Afterward you shall be gathered to your people" (Numbers 31:1).​
So are you saying god's word is a game to you?

Trust me, I am familiar with these pieces ... I just wanted to see how many Christians choose to cherry pick the bits that fit their values.

I could cite bits of scripture that would get me banned, even though it's
verbatim from the Bible.

Any wonder there are over 40 thousand versions/denominations of Christianity, along with a number of versions of the Bible? The word "version" was the first thing that became problematic to me since I was initially taught that god's word was absolute and unchanging.

But congratulations for citing justifications from the Bible for killing weapons.

You have just confirmed that Christianity is a culture for you. It's not about the goodness of a moral god. Right?

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,402.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You obviously don't know many atheists, esp the ones from religious backstories. They have actually read the Bible, unlike the vast majority of cultural Christians who cannot name even one out of 66 books.

So are you saying god's word is a game to you?

Trust me, I am familiar with these pieces ... I just wanted to see how many Christians choose to cherry pick the bits that fit their values.

I could cite bits of scripture that would get me banned, even though it's
verbatim from the Bible.

Any wonder there are over 40 thousand versions/denominations of Christianity, along with a number of versions of the Bible? The word "version" was the first thing that became problematic to me since I was initially taught that god's word was absolute and unchanging.

But congratulations for citing justifications from the Bible for killing weapons.

You have just confirmed that Christianity is a culture for you. It's not about the goodness of a moral god. Right?

Form a chain of logic with the premise that God exists, you will figure something out i guess, because God really exists, its not just a belief christians have, God can actually manifest to people. I went from barely believing in God, to not doubt him again in my entire life because of experiencing things from him.

Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Are you KIDDING?!

I could fill a book with close calls where God saved me (and others with me) from death or serious injury. I could give you examples, but I doubt that you would believe them.

No, I trust in God for my safety, and for my family's. I've been in situations (like mission trips in other countries) where guns were illegal. I was as safe there as here at home with a gun within reach.

So why does a Christian need a gun?

Some of us feel the need to "pick up our end of the log" when we can.
"Faith without works is dead"
But in any event, God protects us, often from hazards we never anticipate.

Turning the other cheek is not lazy, and requires a great deal of courage and resolve.

But often, it is not prudent.

If someone were forcibly abducting one of your children, would you say
"Hey! You missed the others! Take them too!"
Is it not narcissistic to believe god saved you and not a child whose life had barely begun?

I know a number of people like you who said "oh NO, I believe in god...god has done so much for me!

Yet, what about that child who suffers every single day of his life and dies before the age of 5 from preventable causes?

Does the acute suffering of a small child not matter because it must be god's will?

Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Form a chain of logic with the premise that God exists, you will figure something out i guess, because God really exists, its not just a belief christians have, God can actually manifest to people. I went from barely believing in God, to not doubt him again in my entire life because of experiencing things from him.
So god likes you and not that little kid who died at age of 5 after a lifetime of hardship and suffering?

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,402.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it not narcissistic to believe god saved you and not a child whose life had barely begun?

I know a number of people like you who said "oh NO, I believe in god...god has done so much for me!

Yet, what about that child who suffers every single day of his life and dies before the age of 5 from preventable causes?

Does the acute suffering of a small child not matter because it must be god's will?

That is stuff that christians have barely any answer for, but that does not make God false or something to not take in account in your life.

Humans play a big part on this too, you just can't take out the responsability of humans in human suffering, God does not save every child or everyone who would deserve it, hard to understand maybe, but accusing God is not smart. And he is good from what i have experienced about him, he is really good with his childs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

You pose some thoughtful questions, but they will take some vigorous untangling.
I don't have the time for that now; trust that the tragedy in one's life is NOT a measure of God's love for them - or lack of it..

And consider this: believing in God is not a sign of virtue;
Satan believes in God. He has been face-to-face with Him. Yet he is evil.

Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
You pose some thoughtful questions, but they will take some vigorous untangling.
I don't have the time for that now; trust that the tragedy in one's life is NOT a measure of God's love for them - or lack of it..

And consider this: believing in God is not a sign of virtue;
Satan believes in God. He has been face-to-face with Him. Yet he is evil.
How do you know Satan is evil?

He's not the one that wants the credit for creating evil.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things.
Could it be that we have an imaginary enemy after all?

Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I said no such thing. I said there is room different opinions.

I said no such thing. I said there is room for different opinions.

Oh good, just what I need. An atheist telling me what my faith is all about. The perfect way to start the new year!
Yeah, an atheist has higher standards for your beliefs than you do.

You don't know where the Sermon on the Mount originated from?

Is god's word so ambiguous it's open to speculation and subjective interpretation and opinions? How convenient.

Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Oh? Proof-texting from an atheist? It's a silly game, but I will play at least one round:

So, which one is YOUR Jesus?

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword" Matthew 10:34

Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword.

Matthew 26:52

Be careful about insulting atheists about what they know about YOUR religion.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.