Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
This is a genuine question. Please do not see any kind of goading just because I am not a Christian. This is a question I have asked a lot but have never received any kind of response that even makes sense.

My understanding is that our life on earth is but a blink of the eye.

My understanding is that our only purpose is to praise and worship god/Jesus and to share his message in preparation of meeting him when we die.

My understanding of the purpose of a gun is to protect ourselves from a potential killer by shooting them before they shoot us. (I understand this is also the reasoning behind military action as opposed to military defence).

My understanding is that the NRA is HUGELY supported by conservative Christians.

QUESTION:

With this in mind:
The SIXTH commandment from god via Moses is THOU SHALT NOT KILL.

Why does a Christian need a gun when:

His purpose on life is merely in preparation to meet Jesus?

Shouldn't he "turn the other cheek" because if he is killed, it would mean he has obeyed god's commandment AND he will meet Jesus sooner rather than later?

I mean, what does a Christian need on earth more than his need of Jesus?

Furthermore, in John 14:14, Jesus promises to grant you anything you ask for in his name. If there is a genuine reason you don't want to die YET, why not just ask Jesus to protect you so you do not have to risk killing anyone and ending up in prison?

But seriously, I thought nothing mattered except to be with Jesus.

Can someone answer the question?​
John 14: 14
"If you will ask anything
in my name, I will do it."

- Jesus

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In America many people walk with a bible in one hand and a gun in the other, it surely doesn't make much sense to me when Jesus says those who kill with the sword will die with the sword.

i believe you shall not kill is a good rule but do acknowledge that their is a place for guns both in sport and for the countries defence, (not as aggressors). For i do believe that we are allow to defend ourselves against invading armies but not otherwise.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
In America many people walk with a bible in one hand and a gun in the other, it surely doesn't make much sense to me when Jesus says those who kill with the sword will die with the sword.

i believe you shall not kill is a good rule but do acknowledge that their is a place for guns both in sport and for the countries defence, (not as aggressors). For i do believe that we are allow to defend ourselves against invading armies but not otherwise.

Peace.

Re red bold.
For the sake of debate, why does the biggest Christian country in the world bother extending time on earth when the Bible says to turn the other cheek, and this would result in being with Jesus sooner rather than later?

Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Self defense is the obvious answer. A person has a duty to defend themselves and their family. Pacifists represent only a small percentage of Christians.
That is not according to scripture.

Matthew 5:38-40 New International Version (NIV)
Eye for Eye
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth. 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.​

Perhaps pacifists are the true Christians?

Also that would be ignoring the commandment THOU SHALT NOT KILL, hence ignoring god.

Jesus said to love everyone, which means you are not to harm even your enemy. If they kill you first, you get to be with Jesus. Why delay your meeting with Jesus?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'd love to know how, when and why pacifists started thinking they're the majority in the Christian world.

A- That's not true; they're not the majority.
B- It wouldn't matter even if they were the majority because they're wrong.
C- Life is the first liberty. If you don't have the right to defend yourself from undue violence then no other "right" you think you possess matters.

Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I'd love to know how, when and why pacifists started thinking they're the majority in the Christian world.

A- That's not true; they're not the majority.
B- It wouldn't matter even if they were the majority because they're wrong.
C- Life is the first liberty. If you don't have the right to defend yourself from undue violence then no other "right" you think you possess matters.
I have never been under the impression that pacifists were the majority in the Christian world. Heck NO! Huge numbers of Bible Belters have military careers and own numerous guns. They also take pride in shooting animals and mounting the heads on their lounge room walls.

I'm sorry but America has the biggest military machine in the world by FAR. As the biggest Christian country in the world, that is bizarre since the US military has proactively engaged in attacks, often using the Bible as its inspiration. Just ask George W. Bush. Why did Bush not simply appoint prayer warriors in every state, and hold prayer meetings online 24/7? Wouldn't that be the Christian thing to do?
Bush: God told me to invade Iraq

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have never been under the impression that pacifists were the majority in the Christian world. Heck NO! Huge numbers of Bible Belters have military careers and own numerous guns. They also take pride in shooting animals and mounting the heads on their lounge room walls.
That's lovely. But your profile says you are an atheist. I choose to take you at your word and so I believe that you are an actual atheist.

And yet, it's not hard to find a lot of wine aunt types of, ahem, matronly Christian women who got the idea somewhere along the line that their faith countenances things like pacifism and divorce. You know, the old classic virtues. This type of Christian seems genuinely shocked at how militant Christians have been at various points in history.

I'm sorry but America has the biggest military machine in the world by FAR. As the biggest Christian country in the world, that is bizarre since the US military has proactively engaged in attacks, often using the Bible as its inspiration. Just ask George W. Bush.
CF has rules which prohibit the use of certain words. As insipid as I find those rules to be, they remain rules.

Therefore, I cannot give you my unfiltered opinion of George W. But I hope you can read between the lines here.

Having said all of that (or not said it, really), I would imagine that my unfiltered opinion of George W. probably wouldn't be very appreciated by most atheists. If you disagree, I welcome your correction. But I assume that atheists are quite fed up with hearing "No true Irishman" responses from Christians when George W., Jimmy Swaggart and others pop up as subjects of conversation.

In any case, I do not like George W. as a President very much. I've met him and some of his family and they seem like decent people. I guess. But as a President... well, it's enough to say that I have had the opportunity to vote for him in five or six circumstances and I either didn't vote or else voted for the other guy. I should hope that covers it.

Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
That's lovely. But your profile says you are an atheist. I choose to take you at your word and so I believe that you are an actual atheist.

And yet, it's not hard to find a lot of wine aunt types of, ahem, matronly Christian women who got the idea somewhere along the line that their faith countenances things like pacifism and divorce. You know, the old classic virtues. This type of Christian seems genuinely shocked at how militant Christians have been at various points in history.

CF has rules which prohibit the use of certain words. As insipid as I find those rules to be, they remain rules.

Therefore, I cannot give you my unfiltered opinion of George W. But I hope you can read between the lines here.

Having said all of that (or not said it, really), I would imagine that my unfiltered opinion of George W. probably wouldn't be very appreciated by most atheists. If you disagree, I welcome your correction. But I assume that atheists are quite fed up with hearing "No true Irishman" responses from Christians when George W., Jimmy Swaggart and others pop up as subjects of conversation.

In any case, I do not like George W. as a President very much. I've met him and some of his family and they seem like decent people. I guess. But as a President... well, it's enough to say that I have had the opportunity to vote for him in five or six circumstances and I either didn't vote or else voted for the other guy. I should hope that covers it.
What on earth did I say that made it appear that I, on the one hand, label myself as atheist then pretend to be a Christian?

I am merely asking questions USING scripture against actual Christian values as practised in real life. i.e. The bible says TURN THE OTHER CHEEK, and the biggest Christian country in the world erects the biggest killing machine on earth to proactively attack other countries.

Why is this so...is my question. I TRULY, GENUINELY want to know.
If Christians were mostly like Pres Jimmy Carter, I would go to church just to be in their company because it would not matter to me that I don't believe in Adam and Eve and the rest of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rebecca4Christ

Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2019
Central U.S.
✟129,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
It actually said in the original text Thou shalt not murder.Murder is the shedding of innocent blood,which would not be someone intent on murdering us.God has never commanded we not protect ourselves or families from murderers.
Secondly,in those days the Roman Centurions would take advantage of citizens and make them carry their gear and such.Jesus was speaking about going along to get along basically.Turn the other cheek,If asked to go a mile go two....go along with less burdensome things.Someone breaking in to your home at 3am is a little burdensome,don't you think?
"Why delay your meeting with Jesus?"
Because we are here to share the good news with you,and the rest of the world before YOU meet Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HatedByAll

Changed by the Grace of God
Sep 13, 2019
Southeast
✟61,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To understand guns in America a quick civic lesson may be necessary. In many countries, the sovereign leader in a king, queen, or some sort of tribunal, etc. The agents of the sovereign government wield the sword. In America, "we the people" collectively "is" the sovereign unit of the government. By saying that, each person is responsible to make sure that the government does our bidding. To accomplish this, we vote to choose the people who have the title of the leader of the government, but in actuality, these people such as our Presidents, governors, etc are the employees of "we the people."

So we must understand. For "we the people" to faithfully make sure that the government does our bidding, our Constitution has recognized that we have a undeniable right to "wield the sword," which at this point in time refers to using firearms. An individual owning and carrying a gun is the same as a King, or ruler in another company carrying a gun.

But, the truth be known, the average American is not worried about their sovereignty as a citizen of the United States. The average American likes to carry and use a gun because they are fun to own and use. That and we like to be like everyone else around us. So many of my friends have one, two, or more 45-60 gun safes full of guns, so to be one of the guys, I have a few as well. :holy:

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am merely asking questions USING scripture against actual Christian values as practised in real life. i.e. The bible says TURN THE OTHER CHEEK, and the biggest Christian country in the world erects the biggest killing machine on earth to proactively attack other countries.
Theologians have debated the intent of that part of the Sermon On The Mount for centuries. Some have argued, as you seem to, that Our Lord is teaching a radical form of pacifism.

To my way of thinking, Our Lord was teaching the masses something about God's own character. And particularly in the ancient world, the concept of turning the other cheek as described in Sacred Scripture was weapons-grade psychological warfare.

The ancient world operated on a shame/honor paradigm. To be insulted by being slapped in the face was an attack on somebody's personal honor. The natural remedy for that in the ancient world involved shedding the aggressor's blood. Back then, nobody would have thought that a victim inflicting even greater harm upon his assailant was unusual.

By telling His followers to turn the other cheek (e.g., do not resist violence), Our Lord was showing an amazingly keen insight into human psychology in general as well as the social norms and prejudices of His time. Turning the other cheek would've caused just about everybody's brain to short out back in those times precisely because it's the exact opposite of what was expected.

God blesses those who believe in Him as well as those who do not believe in Him. He regularly intervenes in the lives of people who, by word or by deed, curse His name. Our Lord is saying something about God's character.

Does that help?

I don't believe in Adam and Eve and the rest of it.
A lot of Christians don't believe in Adam and Eve as literal history either.

Upvote 0

HatedByAll

Sep 13, 2019
Southeast
✟61,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also, the areas where guns are extremely common in the United States are rural areas. Many of my friends live ten to thirty miles from anything. Here in the southeast, if you need a law enforcement officer it might be a half hour or longer before they can even get to you, much less how long it will take them to get into position to protect you. For that reason, if you want to be protected from anything, felons, or even a rabid dog or a coyote, you have to have a weapon available, whatever that weapon may be.

Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Disappointing responses.

Perhaps everyone is busy cheering in the new year with the mandatory glass of happy juice.

For me, it's just another year and I don't drink much beyond water. Unless we're talking coffee ...
To understand guns in America a quick civic lesson may be necessary. In many countries, the sovereign leader in a king, queen, or some sort of tribunal, etc. The agents of the sovereign government wield the sword. In America, "we the people" collectively "is" the sovereign unit of the government. By saying that, each person is responsible to make sure that the government does our bidding. To accomplish this, we vote to choose the people who have the title of the leader of the government, but in actuality, these people such as our Presidents, governors, etc are the employees of "we the people."

So we must understand. For "we the people" to faithfully make sure that the government does our bidding, our Constitution has recognized that we have a undeniable right to "wield the sword," which at this point in time refers to using firearms. An individual owning and carrying a gun is the same as a King, or ruler in another company carrying a gun.

But, the truth be known, the average American is not worried about their sovereignty as a citizen of the United States. The average American likes to carry and use a gun because they are fun to own and use. That and we like to be like everyone else around us. So many of my friends have one, two, or more 45-60 gun safes full of guns, so to be one of the guys, I have a few as well. :holy:
The question was never about the constitution or anything political, the question has to do with why a Christian personally needs a killing weapon when they have Jesus who made this promise
John 14:14
"If you will ask for anything in my name, I will do it"

Why do you need a gun when Jesus can protect you?

THOU SHALT NOT KILL. This is the command that was etched in my brain since before I made my first communion.

I am now an atheist.

Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Also, the areas where guns are extremely common in the United States are rural areas. Many of my friends live ten to thirty miles from anything. Here in the southeast, if you need a law enforcement officer it might be a half hour or longer before they can even get to you, much less how long it will take them to get into position to protect you. For that reason, if you want to be protected from anything, felons, or even a rabid dog or a coyote, you have to have a weapon available, whatever that weapon may be.
Why not take Jesus up on his promise and ask him, in his name, to protect you anytime you feel threatened?

If you will ask for anything in my name, I will do it"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,217.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't own guns, but preserving ones life and that of your family is one the strongest feelings a person can have.

"But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what watch the thief was coming, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken through."

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Theologians have debated the intent of that part of the Sermon On The Mount for centuries. Some have argued, as you seem to, that Our Lord is teaching a radical form of pacifism.

My understanding is that The Sermon on the Mount did not originate from Jesus. It's borrowed from the Talmud.

To my way of thinking, Our Lord was teaching the masses something about God's own character. And particularly in the ancient world, the concept of turning the other cheek as described in Sacred Scripture was weapons-grade psychological warfare.

The ancient world operated on a shame/honor paradigm. To be insulted by being slapped in the face was an attack on somebody's personal honor. The natural remedy for that in the ancient world involved shedding the aggressor's blood. Back then, nobody would have thought that a victim inflicting even greater harm upon his assailant was unusual.

By telling His followers to turn the other cheek (e.g., do not resist violence), Our Lord was showing an amazingly keen insight into human psychology in general as well as the social norms and prejudices of His time. Turning the other cheek would've caused just about everybody's brain to short out back in those times precisely because it's the exact opposite of what was expected.

God blesses those who believe in Him as well as those who do not believe in Him. He regularly intervenes in the lives of people who, by word or by deed, curse His name. Our Lord is saying something about God's character.

Does that help?

Not really! For me, that's a lot of speculation to justify killing. To me, turning the other cheek means you do not retaliate.

A lot of Christians don't believe in Adam and Eve as literal history either.
OK so here's the thing.

Jesus sacrificed his life to rid humanity of original sin.

Original sin ORIGINATED from Adam and Eve in the creation story.

Without Adam and Eve, wouldn't the
whole Jesus story come apart?

Upvote 0

HatedByAll

Sep 13, 2019
Southeast
✟61,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why not take Jesus up on his promise and ask him, in his name, to protect you anytime you feel threatened?

Your argument is exactly the same thing as asking a Christian why they go to the doctor when they are deathly sick instead of trusting that Jesus will heal them. In the case of expecting God to heal you as opposed to going to the doctor, we need to realize that one way God may provide your healing is by God enabling the medical field to be able to treat you.

One means of God's protection may be His giving you the strength and ability to protect your family and yourself by being able to own and use a gun.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Jezabella

Dec 3, 2019
Sydney
✟11,454.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't own guns, but preserving ones life and that of your family is one the strongest feelings a person can have.

"But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what watch the thief was coming, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken through."

Why is everyone ignoring the promise from Jesus, so that you can ask him to protect you from harm?

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Why does a Christian need a fire extinguisher?

Why does a Christian need a smoke alarm?

Why does a Christian need a burglar alarm?

Why does a Christian need a seat belt?

Why does a Christian need locks on their doors?

God can and does take care of His children, but that doesn't mean they should stand around being lazy and stupid, waiting for Him to do it all. They have the responsibility to do what they can.

And sometimes, with or without their defensive efforts, they get hurt or killed.
God is in charge, and we live or die at His bidding.

Sometimes God's help takes the form of steady aim and quick reflexes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.