Why do teenagers wear so little winter clothing?

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you tell me what sort of jackets these are? Unlike one of the people posting above who claimed that indoors was always overheated these days, I must disagree and I often need to wear a jacket or coat indoors because they seem to have the AC cranked on all year long and it's FREEZING, especially in the summer. I just hate lugging a jacket around everywhere I go and hate it even more when it's literally 100 degrees outside but sub-freezing inside.
North face and Patagonia make really pack able jackets that I use indoors in overly ACed places

Upvote 0

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I asked one of my junior high Sunday School students why he wore shorts in the winter. His answer was that he was outdoors only briefly, between the car and the school, etc., and he'd rather feel comfortable indoors than during those brief periods. Seemed reasonable to me.

I also find that as I get older I want more warmth. These days I'm not warm enough even in the summer, because buildings are air conditioned so much.
Even when we drive we still wear snow pants, it takes forever for the car to heat up!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
North face and Patagonia make really pack able jackets that I use indoors in overly ACed places
Patagonia vs. The North Face Jackets - Comparison Guide

"Price
$199.00

Since both jackets are so similar in terms of price, insulation, and features, the main differences between these two jackets can be summed up as consumer preferences. Which jacket do you think looks the best?"

For us poor and lowly, For ONE jacket That's equivalent to 2 years budget for clothes including shoes !

Upvote 0

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Patagonia vs. The North Face Jackets - Comparison Guide

"Price
$199.00

Since both jackets are so similar in terms of price, insulation, and features, the main differences between these two jackets can be summed up as consumer preferences. Which jacket do you think looks the best?"

For us poor and lowly, For ONE jacket That's equivalent to 2 years budget for clothes including shoes !
Good winter gear unfortunately is very expensive

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There’s probably other brands on the lower end too. I’m a massive discount fan so I always buy winter clothes at the end of the season when they get discounted, same with summer and put them away. Saves a lot of money.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It's almost a joke - seeing the "homeless" with very expensive jackets and coats and shoes...... and phones..... and stereos ...... and usually with cartons of cigarettes .....

They have much more expensive 'things', for nought, than obedient Ekklesia do - like the Apostles wrote " .... we eke out our existence doing odd jobs that we can find ,,,, we are wearing threadbare clothes, often attacked by wild animals (real animals and/or men), sometimes with no place to lay our head .... " treated like thrown out potato peelings on the trash heap ..... exactly as Jesus Said , it happens daily....

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I don’t see that here. The homeless around here are lucky if they actually have a sleeping bag without holes.
It was that way here also, as in most cities in the usa, until recently.
Big moves politically and socially (sadly not churches obeying Yahweh by faith in Jesus) ,
led to huge benefits when people OR agencies
collected $100,000.00 in order to pass on $10,000.00(in goods) to the local poor.
See? There is great profit in doing so, for the flesh/ world/ carnal/ political...

Upvote 0

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There’s probably other brands on the lower end too. I’m a massive discount fan so I always buy winter clothes at the end of the season when they get discounted, same with summer and put them away. Saves a lot of money.
I’ve actually bought most of my winter gear in the summer

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's almost a joke - seeing the "homeless" with very expensive jackets and coats and shoes...... and phones..... and stereos ...... and usually with cartons of cigarettes .....

Jeff, you have to understand their situation can be very depressing and at least having some appearance of normality or even looking a bit better than others/pampering ones self, may go a long way to help them feel better about themselves, their situation.

And they may also think that expensive coat will give them just what they need, and need more than most...warmth. And it may well be a fact it does.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Jeff, you have to understand their situation can be very depressing and at least having some appearance of normality or even looking a bit better than others/pampering ones self, may go a long way to help them feel better about themselves, their situation.

And they may also think that expensive coat will give them just what they need, and need more than most...warmth. And it may well be a fact it does.
I've been working with the homeless for decades, and been homeless, voluntarily a few times without any concern or problem from being homeless in Seattle, :) , and other places.

I talk with them almost every day. More depressing is how the rich look down on them no matter what. (not the worldly rich, but the CHURCHES).

They disobey Yahweh's Word, Jesus direction, to take the homeless in when they need a place to stay (with wisdom, please - many of them either DO NOT WANT to sleep in a house -
or , being mentally and spiritually ill, do not know how to behave at all - they almost always steal from the house they are taken in to, so far... with few if any exceptions. (But that might be due to lack of training of the head of the home, not knowing how to be prepared and what to do)..

They will trade their 'expensive' coat for a bottle of booze, or for a gun, or for cigarettes 8 days a week ! (not all, but many will)

The 'expensive' coats and shoes and blankets, now carried in shopping carts stolen from a grocery store, are more and more numerous,
as "to look good" the charities/ churches/ groups/ take up collections
of coats or money or shoes or blankets.... without getting close to the people, without being with them in their need, without being able to know or understand what is really needed, without really obeying what Jesus says, laying down our lives for one another (within the assembly first then for others) .... running a business based (not on the BIBLE)
but on national rules and guidelines: (501c3 sound familiar?) > a big sham that is popular and growing...

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been working with the homeless for decades, and been homeless, voluntarily a few times without any concern or problem from being homeless in Seattle, :) , and other places.

I talk with them almost every day. More depressing is how the rich look down on them no matter what. (not the worldly rich, but the CHURCHES).

They disobey Yahweh's Word, Jesus direction, to take the homeless in when they need a place to stay (with wisdom, please - many of them either DO NOT WANT to sleep in a house -
or , being mentally and spiritually ill, do not know how to behave at all - they almost always steal from the house they are taken in to, so far... with few if any exceptions. (But that might be due to lack of training of the head of the home, not knowing how to be prepared and what to do)..

They will trade their 'expensive' coat for a bottle of booze, or for a gun, or for cigarettes 8 days a week ! (not all, but many will)

The 'expensive' coats and shoes and blankets, now carried in shopping carts stolen from a grocery store, are more and more numerous,
as "to look good" the charities/ churches/ groups/ take up collections
of coats or money or shoes or blankets.... without getting close to the people, without being with them in their need, without being able to know or understand what is really needed, without really obeying what Jesus says, laying down our lives for one another (within the assembly first then for others) .... running a business based (not on the BIBLE)
but on national rules and guidelines: (501c3 sound familiar?) > a big sham that is popular and growing...

My comment was how I might feel about the situation if I were homeless, and what I might do to help me feel better. It's much like I'd treat myself with any type depression, homeless or not.

I believe you on how churches act, and it's sad, but expected in this day and age.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

Thank you! I had no idea these even existed as I've had the same coat for decades and so never bothered to look for a new one. I did check these out on Amazon and saw a few possibilities from $40 to $50.

Upvote 0

SaintCody777

The young, curious Berean
Jan 11, 2018
Miami, Florida
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
So does Uniqlo. I actually have a Uniqlo parka with a hood that has down feathering and it wraps and packs up into a small bag. The thing I really like about it is that when I am inside for a long time and it's cold outside, I don't have to carry a jacket around in my hand. I can just pack a warm jacket into a small bag and put it in my little slingbag. I bought the jacket from the Uniqlo store in New York city because I visited there this past November. It was cold and I didn't want to carry a big jacket around.
In South Florida, some places like the malls can have the A.C. very cool inside, Even in the summer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So does Uniqlo. I actually have a Uniqlo parka with a hood that has down feathering and it wraps and packs up into a small bag. The thing I really like about it is that when I am inside for a long time and it's cold outside, I don't have to carry a jacket around in my hand. I can just pack a warm jacket into a small bag and put it in my little slingbag. I bought the jacket from the Uniqlo store in New York city because I visited there this past November. It was cold and I didn't want to carry a big jacket around.
In South Florida, some places like the malls can have the A.C. very cool inside, Even in the summer.
It’s crazy how even big parkas can be packed away so easily. My daughter and I both wear huge Canada Goose parkas and even those pack away easily. They also have straps on the inside so you can wear it over your shoulders like a back pack

Upvote 0

SaintCody777

The young, curious Berean
Jan 11, 2018
Miami, Florida
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It’s crazy how even big parkas can be packed away so easily. My daughter and I both wear huge Canada Goose parkas and even those pack away easily. They also have straps on the inside so you can wear it over your shoulders like a back pack
I never knew Canada Goose has a packable parka. I have a big Canada Goose jacket.

Upvote 0

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never knew Canada Goose has a packable parka. I have a big Canada Goose jacket.
It’s not as packable as a uniqlo, but given its size it packs away pretty well. Which one do you have? We both have the hooded full length parka

Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it depends on the kids and the school. At my high school, we had a uniform...girls had to wear skirts. No girl was caught standing outside for very long in the uniform skirt in Canada. Brrrrr!
I do see teenagers at the local public high schools outside, at the end of the property dressed rather lightly for -22 conditions. I think most of them must be stoned or something (since most of them are vaping or smoking) but it is way too cold for sneakers and sweatshirts. I have to admit they sure do look COOL. lol
January in Canada is when you don't see anyone's face...people are wrapped up so tightly that you can hardly tell who you're skating beside at the rink.
I hate the cold. I'm a terrible Canadian. I probably look like a giant marshmallow whenever I leave the house. :D

Upvote 0

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it depends on the kids and the school. At my high school, we had a uniform...girls had to wear skirts. No girl was caught standing outside for very long in the uniform skirt in Canada. Brrrrr!
I do see teenagers at the local public high schools outside, at the end of the property dressed rather lightly for -22 conditions. I think most of them must be stoned or something (since most of them are vaping or smoking) but it is way too cold for sneakers and sweatshirts. I have to admit they sure do look COOL. lol
January in Canada is when you don't see anyone's face...people are wrapped up so tightly that you can hardly tell who you're skating beside at the rink.
I hate the cold. I'm a terrible Canadian. I probably look like a giant marshmallow whenever I leave the house. :D
What’s the point of forcing girls to wear skirts in the winter? And lol when my daughter and I went to church this morning the only visible part of us were our eyes because we were so wrapped up in our hoods and scarves. The marshmallow look is definitely an effective one for the cold I have to say.

• Agree
Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0