Why do teenagers wear so little winter clothing?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
American diet is poor overall, especially in hospitals, schools and when menu is by a government approved dietician. (see online "3 white poisons" routinely given to children)

True. If you want good government food...join the military (of course you might have to march a little). :eek:

Upvote 0

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's also amazing to see so many shorts in cold weather!
I know! Last week we saw a group of kids in shorts on our way to school, meanwhile my daughter and I both had on our thick snow pants

Upvote 0

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm almost twenty now but I was a teenager who didn't wear winter clothing. It didn't matter how cold it got, I was always determined to tough it out. Most of the time, it's a self-esteem thing. Winter clothes are bulky. I had body image issues so wearing a bit thick winter coat made me feel like a cow.

I'm not sure what anyone else would have to say but that's why I chose to suffer. Dignity over warmth was my motto.

Upvote 0

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm almost twenty now but I was a teenager who didn't wear winter clothing. It didn't matter how cold it got, I was always determined to tough it out. Most of the time, it's a self-esteem thing. Winter clothes are bulky. I had body image issues so wearing a bit thick winter coat made me feel like a cow.

I'm not sure what anyone else would have to say but that's why I chose to suffer. Dignity over warmth was my motto.
Do you still do that? Or have you changed your ways?

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I take my daughter to school I’m always amazed by how underdressed the other students are. It’s below freezing and they’re out there without winter coats! My daughter on the other hand is always bundled up from head to toe, on our morning walks to school she wears a couple of sweaters, fleece lined leggings, snow pants, winter boots, a knee length puffy jacket, and the biggest and thickest winter coat we could find over it all. Her coat alone covers her from head to toe. I don’t understand how the other students aren’t freezing to death on their way to school!

I'm like your daughter; I bundle up literally head to toe, pinkie finger to neck, with multiple layers the second it drops below 65. Actually, I'm probably not like her because if she lives where it's literally below freezing and can walk to school in the morning, she's tougher than I am. I'm from Los Angeles, and to me, anything below 60 constitutes freezing, haha.
We can always recognize the tourists from the locals from how everyone is dressed when it's below 60. Angelenos react as though we're going to become human popsicles any moment, that our life is in peril from freezing to death, and the tourists from Canada or wherever are basking in the sunshine in summer clothing. We were mocked a few years ago when the weather forecasters were giving dire warnings about how a cold front was coming in, and everyone needed to prepare, and the rest of the internet was like - you think 55 degrees warrants that panic?, haha.

I'm in college now and have friends from places that are legitimately cold, like Minnesota and Ohio, and I'm always in awe of them wearing shorts and sandals when I'm shivering while fully covered up and wearing a thick puffy jacket plus three layers underneath. Anyways, if your daughter walks to school and others get rides there, that could be one reason why she needs to protect herself thoroughly and they can just jump off the bus or out of the car and dash into school. Does the school tend to crank up the heat? Mine did. If her school does that, then maybe kids don't want to drag around and / or stuff into their lockers scarves, gloves, coats and such. Is your daughter thin? I've always been skinny and think this is a factor for why I'm super sensitive to the cold. For K-12 I always went to schools that required uniforms, a polo shirt and a skirt for girls, or trousers that were not flattering, so everyone always wore the skirt. Most were content with the uniform, but I was chronically cold. I wore multiple pairs of leggings and tights under the skirt, the long sleeve polo and the sweater, plus a jacket, unless it was super sunny and not just warm but hot. I hate being cold. I'm in love with these jackets that are really warm but you can fold them up into a little bag and tote them with you everywhere. I do that even in the summer if I'm going indoors anywhere that might have the AC blasting.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's always been that way during my lifetime. It was that way 40 years ago when I was a teen and I've seen it with every generation. I assume it is a metabolism thing as they are young, active, growing, and just in a phase of life where their body doesn't need to retain heat as much. Again an assumption. I have seen as I get older I want more clothes because I get cold quicker.

I have even heard the same complaint made by Inuit parents in the Canadian high Arctic.

Upvote 0

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm like your daughter; I bundle up literally head to toe, pinkie finger to neck, with multiple layers the second it drops below 65. Actually, I'm probably not like her because if she lives where it's literally below freezing and can walk to school in the morning, she's tougher than I am. I'm from Los Angeles, and to me, anything below 60 constitutes freezing, haha.
We can always recognize the tourists from the locals from how everyone is dressed when it's below 60. Angelenos react as though we're going to become human popsicles any moment, that our life is in peril from freezing to death, and the tourists from Canada or wherever are basking in the sunshine in summer clothing. We were mocked a few years ago when the weather forecasters were giving dire warnings about how a cold front was coming in, and everyone needed to prepare, and the rest of the internet was like - you think 55 degrees warrants that panic?, haha.

I'm in college now and have friends from places that are legitimately cold, like Minnesota and Ohio, and I'm always in awe of them wearing shorts and sandals when I'm shivering while fully covered up and wearing a thick puffy jacket plus three layers underneath. Anyways, if your daughter walks to school and others get rides there, that could be one reason why she needs to protect herself thoroughly and they can just jump off the bus or out of the car and dash into school. Does the school tend to crank up the heat? Mine did. If her school does that, then maybe kids don't want to drag around and / or stuff into their lockers scarves, gloves, coats and such. Is your daughter thin? I've always been skinny and think this is a factor for why I'm super sensitive to the cold. For K-12 I always went to schools that required uniforms, a polo shirt and a skirt for girls, or trousers that were not flattering, so everyone always wore the skirt. Most were content with the uniform, but I was chronically cold. I wore multiple pairs of leggings and tights under the skirt, the long sleeve polo and the sweater, plus a jacket, unless it was super sunny and not just warm but hot. I hate being cold. I'm in love with these jackets that are really warm but you can fold them up into a little bag and tote them with you everywhere. I do that even in the summer if I'm going indoors anywhere that might have the AC blasting.
You sound more like me than my daughter! I’m always that person that breaks out winter gear in September. I’m jealous of you living in California though! I would love to spend winters there.

Even the other kids who walk to school are dressed like it’s not below freezing. And no she’s not fat, but not overly skinny either.

• Friendly
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’ve always run warm so I’d always takes jackets everywhere to keep my parents happy not wear them. I’m only cold when it’s literally several degrees below freezing, or when ill.

Upvote 0

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve always run warm so I’d always takes jackets everywhere to keep my parents happy not wear them. I’m only cold when it’s literally several degrees below freezing, or when ill.
Oh wow, we put on our jackets if it’s below 60 degrees

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Teenagers are often kinda dumb -- it goes with the territory. (I'd like to think that those of us who are older than that have gotten wiser but I'm not so sure.)
There’s a lot of wisdom in that! Thankfully despite the peer pressure I can still get my daughter to dress appropriately

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Teenagers are often kinda dumb -- it goes with the territory. (I'd like to think that those of us who are older than that have gotten wiser but I'm not so sure.)

I've been coming to this forum since I was 14. It's definitely disabused me of the notion that dumbness and immaturity are confined to youth, haha.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been coming to this forum since I was 14. It's definitely disabused me of the notion that dumbness and immaturity are confined to youth, haha.
That’s true! I should mention that I also see adults dressed like it’s summer too!

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I'm in love with these jackets that are really warm but you can fold them up into a little bag and tote them with you everywhere. I do that even in the summer if I'm going indoors anywhere that might have the AC blasting.

Can you tell me what sort of jackets these are? Unlike one of the people posting above who claimed that indoors was always overheated these days, I must disagree and I often need to wear a jacket or coat indoors because they seem to have the AC cranked on all year long and it's FREEZING, especially in the summer. I just hate lugging a jacket around everywhere I go and hate it even more when it's literally 100 degrees outside but sub-freezing inside.

Upvote 0

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you still do that? Or have you changed your ways?

No I grew out of it, as most teenagers do with things like that. It's usually just a phase. I'll admit that I'm not as affected by the cold as some other people are but I do wear winter clothing now.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I asked one of my junior high Sunday School students why he wore shorts in the winter. His answer was that he was outdoors only briefly, between the car and the school, etc., and he'd rather feel comfortable indoors than during those brief periods. Seemed reasonable to me.

I also find that as I get older I want more warmth. These days I'm not warm enough even in the summer, because buildings are air conditioned so much.

Upvote 0

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No I grew out of it, as most teenagers do with things like that. It's usually just a phase. I'll admit that I'm not as affected by the cold as some other people are but I do wear winter clothing now.
That’s good to hear!

Upvote 0