Why do teenagers wear so little winter clothing?

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Can you tell me what sort of jackets these are? Unlike one of the people posting above who claimed that indoors was always overheated these days, I must disagree and I often need to wear a jacket or coat indoors because they seem to have the AC cranked on all year long and it's FREEZING, especially in the summer. I just hate lugging a jacket around everywhere I go and hate it even more when it's literally 100 degrees outside but sub-freezing inside.

I love Uniqlo because their jackets and coats are really lightweight and portable, waterproof, easy to care for and resilient, and it's one of the few stores that carries an XXS (they have up through XL sizes too, but XXS is rarer). This is the jacket I carry with me virtually every day of the year, everywhere: WOMEN ULTRA LIGHT DOWN JACKET

In person it's a brighter, really pretty peacock color. It comes with a matching bag. I don't drive, so I can't just leave the jacket in the car and grab it as necessary, and this is great because it's so light I can easily fit it into my backpack or a medium sized purse.

This is the one I wear when it's legitimately cold:
WOMEN ULTRA LIGHT DOWN HOODED COAT

The warmest of their lightweight outerwear is their padded coat for kids, and if you're a slim, petite woman it might fit you if you get it in size 13. My arms eventually grew too long for it, but it lasted me for years.

When I go to places like NYC or to visit my grandparents in Ohio in the winter I wear a North Face parka that was designed for freezing temperatures. It is bulkier but definitely lighter than heavy coats.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’ve actually bought most of my winter gear in the summer

Yep! I go to South Africa in August and September every year, and it works out nicely because it's winter there but summer here, so everything I need to stock up on is on sale.

In LA there's a fun thrift store called It's a Wrap that buys the clothing from movies and TV shows, and it's another place where I've found heavy winter coats for a dramatically reduced price, especially in the summer. So many productions are set in colder places but filmed in LA, so the wardrobe departments buys the sort of heavy winter clothing you'd rarely find in a normal store locally. They'll buy extras for continuity in case one is torn or stained, so you can find some that still have their tags. We buy a lot of coats in the summer to donate to the homeless during the winter. I know you don't live in LA, but I'm throwing this out there in case anyone else here happens to and might find the tip to shop there useful. :)

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
also, surprised that some kids at our child's elementary school wear light coats and no hats when the real feel is 20 something

we've been told not to drop off before the doors open although some parents still do but technically kids shouldn't be outside waiting before school

recess is 20 min and the school keeps them inside if it goes below 20 degrees
our school said if anyone needed winter wear, they had some available

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
also, surprised that some kids at our child's elementary school wear light coats and no hats when the real feel is 20 something
That’s something I see all the time. So much body heat is lost from the head, that’s why my daughter and I wear hats, hoods, and scarves to cover up as much as possible, you can only see our eyes when we go out

Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When my daughter was in high school it was often said that the ones who chose not to bundle up, were often sick and couldn't figure out why. I know a few teenagers who refuse to own a winter coat because "it's not cool". lol
That’s exactly what happens when you go outside in the cold without bundling up. Whenever my daughter complains about having to dress warm I always remind her that it’s so she won’t get sick.

Upvote 0