Why do people like Seventh-day Adventist and Adventist doctrine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There is a poorly named thread on this section of the board "why do people hate Seventh-day ADventists?" that could have a lot of the similar posts given - without such a bad title. ...

So then ... a "better title' for those who want to engage in that discussion but would not do it on a thread with such a poor title.

for example here is a post to consider

===============================

On YouTube I watched how the SDA are a cult. According to my dictionary there is nothing wrong with being a cult.

The SDA denomination is not a cult. In fact in the book "Kingdom of The Cults" by Walter Martin (Not an SDA) a number of different groups were reviewed - including the SDA church and Martin shows definatively that the SDA church is not a Cult.

In fact in 2015 Christianity Today stated that Adventists are the 5th largest Christian denomination world wide.
Adventists: Can Ben Carson's Church Stay Separatist?

(And now Having passed 19 million around the start of this year -- Adventist Review Online | Adventist Church Tops 19 Million Members )

CT states that Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Anglicanism, and the Assemblies of God are larger than the SDA denomination.

So it is irrefutably true that indeed some people like Seventh-day Adventists and also Adventist doctrine. But that does not mean all do.

As for "hating SDAs" I think that is also not true for most normal people.

For example Dr. Ben Carson - a recent presidential candidate is SDA.

What is more "Hacksaw Ridge" is about Desmond Doss - an SDA soldier.

Neither of these guys is "hated" by normal people - as a general rule. And I have met them both.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited:

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't hate them.

Adventists believe Jesus is the archangel Michael. Which is not scriptural. Whether they are a cult or not I don't know.

This is not accurate -

Adventists believe in the Trinity. God the Son is incarnate as the Son of God - Jesus Christ on earth. But as we see in Genesis 18 and 19 God and the angels can "appear" in the form of a man if they so choose. What is more God the Son can appear in the form of the archangel Michael for His own purposes. God has angels and Satan in rebellion has his fallen angels - Angels either hold their allegiance to God or to Satan. But in Revelation 12 the Angels faithful to God - who serve God are said to be in the group "Michael and HiS Angels" and in Hebrews 1 God says "Let all the Angels of God worship him" they serve God the Son. Who appears in the form of Michael in their ranks as the "Archangel" the head of them all. It is a "form" he takes not - but not an incarnation.

in Genesis 18
18 Now the LORD (YHWH) appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, while he was sitting at the tent door in the heat of the day. 2 When he lifted up his eyes and looked, behold, three men were standing opposite him; and when he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them and bowed himself to the earth,...

16 Then the men rose up from there, and looked down toward Sodom; and Abraham was walking with them to send them off. 17 The LORD (YHWH) said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do, 18 since Abraham will surely become a great and mighty nation, and in him all the nations of the earth will be blessed? 19 For I have chosen him, so that he may command his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing righteousness and justice, so that the Lord may bring upon Abraham what He has spoken about him.” 20 And the LORD said, “The outcry of Sodom and Gomorrah is indeed great, and their sin is exceedingly grave. 21 I will go down now, and see if they have done entirely according to its outcry, which has come to Me; and if not, I will know.”

22 Then the men turned away from there and went toward Sodom, while Abraham was still standing before the LORD

Genesis 19
Now the two angels came to Sodom in the evening as Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them and bowed down with his face to the ground.

@EastCoastRemnant and several others indicate they do not.

Individuals here and there may claim whatever they wish - but when talking about a denomination if you want to know what the church actually teaches look at its statement of faith. Seventh-day Adventists have an official voted statement of beliefs - voted by the entire world church - with representatives from all over the world coming together every 5 years to review and confirm or change-if-needed their statement of beliefs.

Beliefs :: The Official Site of the Seventh-day Adventist world church

Trinity (Fundamental Belief 2)
There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three co-eternal Persons. God is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension, yet known through His self-revelation. He is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and service by the whole creation. (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14; Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2; 1 Tim. 1:17; Rev. 14:7.) 1 John 5:7-10 KJV Mark 12:29-30

http://szu.adventist.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/28_Beliefs.pdf

And eastcoastRemnant will admit to this - the Adventist church - as a denomination believes exactly what you find there - the Trinity.

I myself might choose to have some odd idea or two - but I cannot in all honesty claim that whatever off the wall thing I happen to choose - is in fact the actual beliefs of the SDA denomination. For that you have to go to the actual voted statement of beliefs.

=========================== so then

1. We had 3 published statements of belief before Ellen White died - not one of them denied the Trinity.

2. IT was Ellen White who introduced "Third Person of the Godhead" terms into Adventist literature - and this turned the tide in favor the Trinitarian SDAs starting in the 1880's.

3. James White and others like him held such a wrong idea of the Trinity so as to oppose a doctrine that neither they nor any Christians today believe in.

For example

In 1855 J. James White published an article in the Review and Herald entitled “Preach the Word.” In dealing with Paul’s statement in 2 Timothy 4:4 “they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables” he wrote, “Here we might mention the Trinity, which does away the personality of God and His Son Jesus Christ, ....”

Joseph Bates wrote in 1868, “Respecting the trinity, I concluded that it was impossible for me to believe that the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, was also the Almighty God, the Father, one and the same being.”

4. But as their view of the definition for the term became more accurate and their understanding of the nature of God improved - the men like James White and Uriah Smith began to see no real difference between their own view of God the Father and God the Son - vs - the Trinitarian one.

But in 1876 he wrote that “S. D. Adventists hold the divinity of Christ so nearly with the Trinitarians, that we apprehend no trial here.”38 And a year later he declared his belief in the equality of the Son with the Father and condemned any view as erroneous that “makes Christ inferior to the Father.”38 (2) Originally Uriah Smith and others taught that Christ was the first created being. Later he adopted the position that Christ was begotten not created (see p. 3 above).............................

37 (The Day Star, Jan 21, 1846)

38 (Review And Herald, Oct 12, 1876)

============================

Trinity (Fundamental Belief 2)
There is one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, a unity of three co-eternal Persons. God is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension, yet known through His self-revelation. He is forever worthy of worship, adoration, and service by the whole creation. (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14; Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2; 1 Tim. 1:17; Rev. 14:7.) 1 John 5:7-10 KJV Mark 12:29-30

The power of evil had been strengthening for centuries, and the submission of men to this satanic captivity was amazing. Sin could be resisted and overcome only through the mighty agency of the Third Person of the Godhead, who would come with no modified energy, but in the fullness of divine power. It is the Spirit that makes effectual what has been wrought out by the world’s Redeemer. It is by the Spirit that the heart is made pure. Through the Spirit the believer becomes a partaker of the divine nature. Christ has given His Spirit as a divine power to overcome all hereditary and cultivated tendencies to evil, and to impress His own character upon His church. {DA 671.2}

We are to co-operate with the three highest powers in heaven,—the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost,—and these powers will work through us, making us workers together with God.—Special Testimonies, Series B, No. 7, p. 51. (1905). {Ev 617.3}

—We need to realize that the Holy Spirit, who is as much a person as God is a person, is walking through these grounds.—Manuscript 66, 1899 (From a talk to the students at the Avondale School.). {Ev 616.5}

The Holy Spirit is a person, for He beareth witness with our spirits that we are the children of God. When this witness is borne, it carries with it its own evidence. At such times we believe and are sure that we are the children of God.... {Ev 616.6}

The Holy Spirit has a personality, else He could not bear witness to our spirits and with our spirits that we are the children of God. He must also be a divine person, else He could not search out the secrets which lie hidden in the mind of God. “For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.”—Manuscript 20, 1906. {Ev 617.1}

the eternal heavenly dignitaries—God, and Christ, and the Holy Spirit—arming them [the disciples] with more than mortal energy, ... would advance with them to the work and convince the world of sin. Manuscript 145,

Jesus declared, “I am the resurrection, and the life.” In Christ is life, original, unborrowed, underived. “He that hath the Son hath life.” The divinity of Christ is the believer’s assurance of eternal life.—The Desire of Ages, 530 (1898). {Ev 616.2}

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Stop!! STOP!!!

Listen, we are all God's children. Quit the dang fussing and start praying for each other. I'm starting right now, praying for all of you.

I dare any of you to stop me.

God loves all of you and so do I.

Emmy

Thanks Emmy - we all should pray for one another.

I for one don't mind a bit - having someone who is not of my denomination ask about some doctrine that I hold or present a good Bible case for why they think a different doctrine would be better. I rather enjoy doing that Bible study and find that those who engage in that spirit are often great people to know and learn from.

Maybe the thread just has a poor title.

So in the spirit of cooperation I have started a thread where we can discuss the same points - but without such a poorly named title.

"Why do people like Seventh-day Adventists and Adventist doctrine?"

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟412,239.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Fact Check
  • Catholicism - 1,272 million.
  • Protestantism - 800 million.
  • Eastern Orthodoxy - 225–300 million.
  • Oriental Orthodoxy - 86 million.
  • Anglicanism - 85 million.
  • Restorationism and Nontrinitarianism - 42–48 million.
  • Independent Catholic denominations - 28 million.
  • Seventh Day Adventists - 18.1 million
  • Church of the East - 0.6 million.

• Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
There is a poorly named thread on this section of the board "why do people hate Seventh-day ADventists?" that could have a lot of the similar posts given - without such a bad title. ...

So then ... a "better title' for those who want to engage in that discussion but would not do it on a thread with such a poor title.

for example here is a post to consider

===============================

The SDA denomination is not a cult. In fact in the book "Kingdom of The Cults" by Walter Martin (Not an SDA) a number of different groups were reviewed - including the SDA church and Martin shows definatively that the SDA church is not a Cult.

In fact in 2015 Christianity Today stated that Adventists are the 5th largest Christian denomination world wide.

As for "hating SDAs" I think that is also not true for most normal people.

For example Dr. Ben Carson - a recent presidential candidate is SDA.

What is more "Hacksaw Ridge" is about Desmond Doss - an SDA soldier.

Neither of these guys is "hated" by normal people - as a general rule. And I have met them both.

in Christ,

Bob

Where shall I post if I don't love the SDA as a whole, but I don't hate the people in a theological system which is in contradiction to the gospel of Christ?

A quote from the founder of SDA, Ellen White, which is very disturbing, as she appears to be teaching a foreign gospel:

"...The terms of salvation for every son and daughter of Adam are here outlined. It is plainly stated that the condition of gaining eternal life is obedience to the commandments of God".

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Fact Check

Yay we outnumber the Anglicans! Another glorious moment for the ever obscure Oriental Orthodox.

:clap:

But alas there are only two of us on CF.com. :(

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Where shall I post if I don't love the SDA as a whole, but I don't hate the people in a theological system which is in contradiction to the gospel of Christ?

A quote from the founder of SDA, Ellen White, which is very disturbing, as she appears to be teaching a foreign gospel:

"...The terms of salvation for every son and daughter of Adam are here outlined. It is plainly stated that the condition of gaining eternal life is obedience to the commandments of God".

There are way, way too many passages to quote stating salvation is by grace.
. This is just a tiny sample.

We must learn in the school of Christ. Nothing but His righteousness can entitle us to one of the blessings of the covenant of grace. We have long desired and tried to obtain these blessings but have not received them because we have cherished the idea that we could do something to make ourselves worthy of them. We have not looked away from ourselves, believing that Jesus is a living Saviour. We must not think that our own grace and merits will save us; the grace of Christ is our only hope of salvation.CCh 47.4CCh 47.4
progressbar_frame.png
AA 9.1 edit (The Acts of the Apostles)
... agency for the salvation of men. It ... riches of the grace of Christ; and ...

2 EGW 1911
progressbar_frame.png
AA 205.3 edit (The Acts of the Apostles)
... blessing. “For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to ...

3 EGW 1911
progressbar_frame.png
AA 298.1 edit (The Acts of the Apostles)
only means of salvation, and urging them ... power of His grace. Before accepting ...

4 EGW 1911
progressbar_frame.png
AA 324.3 edit (The Acts of the Apostles)
... worketh repentance to salvation not to be ... influence of divine grace upon the ...

5 EGW 1911
progressbar_frame.png
AA 330.1 edit (The Acts of the Apostles)
... magnified the grace and mercy of ... truths essential to salvation in order to ...

6 EGW 1911
progressbar_frame.png
AA 438.3 edit (The Acts of the Apostles)
the offer of salvation through the name ... to accept the grace and pardon offered. ...

7 EGW 1911
progressbar_frame.png
AA 519.2 edit (The Acts of the Apostles)
to purchase the salvation of men, how ... , “Ye know the grace of our Lord ...

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
There are way, way too many passages to quote stating salvation is by grace.
. This is just a tiny sample.

We must learn in the school of Christ. Nothing but His righteousness can entitle us to one of the blessings of the covenant of grace. We have long desired and tried to obtain these blessings but have not received them because we have cherished the idea that we could do something to make ourselves worthy of them. We have not looked away from ourselves, believing that Jesus is a living Saviour. We must not think that our own grace and merits will save us; the grace of Christ is our only hope of salvation.CCh 47.4CCh 47.4
progressbar_frame.png
AA 9.1 edit (The Acts of the Apostles)
... agency for the salvation of men. It ... riches of the grace of Christ; and ...

2 EGW 1911
progressbar_frame.png
AA 205.3 edit (The Acts of the Apostles)
... blessing. “For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to ...

3 EGW 1911
progressbar_frame.png
AA 298.1 edit (The Acts of the Apostles)
only means of salvation, and urging them ... power of His grace. Before accepting ...

4 EGW 1911
progressbar_frame.png
AA 324.3 edit (The Acts of the Apostles)
... worketh repentance to salvation not to be ... influence of divine grace upon the ...

5 EGW 1911
progressbar_frame.png
AA 330.1 edit (The Acts of the Apostles)
... magnified the grace and mercy of ... truths essential to salvation in order to ...

6 EGW 1911
progressbar_frame.png
AA 438.3 edit (The Acts of the Apostles)
the offer of salvation through the name ... to accept the grace and pardon offered. ...

7 EGW 1911
progressbar_frame.png
AA 519.2 edit (The Acts of the Apostles)
to purchase the salvation of men, how ... , “Ye know the grace of our Lord ...

Wouldn't a great prophet of the Lord be consistent?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

The thread title is a question "why do people..." it does not mean that you join those people and it means you could be someone who questions why people do like SDAs.

Christianity Today last year stated that the SDA church is the fastest grown Christian church and the 5th largest in the world. It is indisputable that at almost 20 million world wide - there are indeed people that like the SDA church.

The question is why -and bringing out your own reasons for or against is a legitimate on-topic thing to do.

Let's take a look at the Gospel in Romans 2 and compare it with the statement you are quoting.

Romans 2
4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will render to each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; 8 but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.
12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

That is not a case of "Salvation by works" rather it is demonstration of the truth of Matthew 7 "you shall know them by their fruits" the good tree produces good fruits. The bad tree does not "produce good fruit to become a good tree".

It is pretty hard NOT to see this - in the quote you are giving --

7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Fact Check

Yay we outnumber the Anglicans! Another glorious moment for the ever obscure Oriental Orthodox.
But alas there are only two of us on CF.com. :(

Christianity Today could not list what you provide because you include categories that are not one single form of Church government - no single body as the organization's managing financial and policy administrator. The RCC has it, the SDA church has it - the Anglican church has it... the Eastern Orthodox etc and all of them are listed by Christianity Today ...

But there is no such thing as one organizing administration managing finances and policy for entire group in the case of your "Protestantism" and your "Restorationism and Nontrinitarianism" - it is a "grouping" of different denominations not one church.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alawishis
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There is one thing else to mention.
No one who understands the truth of the Christian Gospel and follows it can wake up one morning and decide they don't want God in their life anymore.
Many go to church who sadly do not know the truth. They do not understand the truth of the message.
I have chatted to muslims who claim they were once christians, but when pressed could not tell me the truth of the Gospel message:
They went out from us but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us they would have remained with us. But their going showed Tha none of them belonged to us
1 john: 2:19

That is OSAS - once saved always saved.

A great many Christians do not accept that particular tradition.

One reason can be quickly demonstrated - and it is in Matthew 18

the "I FORGAVE YOU ALL that debt" statement is followed by having the unforgiving servant repay ALL his own original debt. And Christ ends his teaching outside the parable with "SO Shall My Father do to each one of you if you do not forgive your brother from your heart"

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The thread title is a question "why do people..." it does not mean that you join those people and it means you could be someone who questions why people do like SDAs.

Christianity Today last year stated that the SDA church is the fastest grown Christian church and the 5th largest in the world. It is indisputable that at almost 20 million world wide - there are indeed people that like the SDA church.

The question is why -and bringing out your own reasons for or against is a legitimate on-topic thing to do.

Let's take a look at the Gospel in Romans 2 and compare it with the statement you are quoting.

Romans 2
4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will render to each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; 8 but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.
12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

That is not a case of "Salvation by works" rather it is demonstration of the truth of Matthew 7 "you shall know them by their fruits" the good tree produces good fruits. The bad tree does not "produce good fruit to become a good tree".

7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life;

So, you are OK with people posting in opposition to your theories and the SDA as well?

Upvote 0

mark wright

Dec 3, 2016
england
✟1,803.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do people like SDA doctrine?
They claim to follow the letter of the commandments closer than most others( I e the fourth)
That may appeal to many.
Avoiding the levitical unclean foods to be physically healthier may also appeal
And the majority of church goers in reality believe they will attain heaven by obeying the commandments, the sda much stresses this.
The natural mind of man knows in the earthly world you get what you earn, you get what you strive for, what you deserve.
Unfortunately that mindset takes you further away from the true gospel message

Upvote 0

mark wright

Dec 3, 2016
england
✟1,803.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

the "I FORGAVE YOU ALL that debt" statement is followed by having the unforgiving servant repay ALL his own original debt. And Christ ends his teaching outside the parable with "SO Shall My Father do to each one of you if you do not forgive your brother from your heart"
I like the parable of the sower. In the second example they accepted the message and set out on the path with joy. But their roots didn't go deep, it was a shallow commitment. When persecution came they gave up.
In the third example they accepted the message and set out on the christian path. However they never matured in the faith due to continually being sidetracked by worldly things. But they did not walk away from the faith, just couldn't mature in it

• Agree
Reactions: ADisciple
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There is one thing else to mention.
No one who understands the truth of the Christian Gospel and follows it can wake up one morning and decide they don't want God in their life anymore.
Many go to church who sadly do not know the truth. They do not understand the truth of the message.
I have chatted to muslims who claim they were once christians, but when pressed could not tell me the truth of the Gospel message:
They went out from us but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us they would have remained with us. But their going showed Tha none of them belonged to us
1 john: 2:19

I like the parable of the sower. In the second example they accepted the message and set out on the path with joy. But their roots didn't go deep, it was a shallow commitment. When persecution came they gave up.
In the third example they accepted the message and set out on the christian path. However they never matured in the faith due to continually being sidetracked by worldly things. But they did not walk away from the faith, just couldn't mature in it

True those various kinds are very helpful. but the rocky soil example is a pretty good example of why OSAS does not work. The dead comes to life - the seed brings forth life and in the initial stages it is all just as good - but since there is not a great depth eventually it runs out of soil. The life is real - but it does not last. there is no "perseverance".

Now lets take the idea of 'not persevering in being lost' -- that is a good thing.
But "not persevering in being saved" would be a bad thing.

In order for this to even be seen as a "bad thing" the issue has to be that they did not 'persevere in being and staying saved' --

It cannot possibly be that it was bad to "not persevere in being lost".

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Why do people like SDA doctrine?
They claim to follow the letter of the commandments closer than most others( I e the fourth)
That may appeal to many.
Avoiding the levitical unclean foods to be physically healthier may also appeal
And the majority of church goers in reality believe they will attain heaven by obeying the commandments, the sda much stresses this.
The natural mind of man knows in the earthly world you get what you earn, you get what you strive for, what you deserve.

1. There is an entire section of the board under General Theology for the Sabbath discussion and a great many Bible Sabbath accepting non-SDA groups post there.

2. The list I give here - shows that even the majority of pro-Sunday scholars agree that all TEN of the TEN Commandments apply to all Christians today.

For example -

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism.

And of course 7th day groups

Seventh-day Baptists
Seventh-day Adventists
(and 100's of others)

Upvote 0

mark wright

Dec 3, 2016
england
✟1,803.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1. There is an entire section of the board under General Theology for the Sabbath discussion and a great many Bible Sabbath accepting non-SDA groups post there.

2. The list I give here - shows that even the majority of pro-Sunday scholars agree that all TEN of the TEN Commandments apply to all Christians today.

For example -

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism.

And of course 7th day groups

Seventh-day Baptists
Seventh-day Adventists
(and 100's of others)
The law God desires you to keep is written on your mind and placed on your heart under the new covenant. What is in your mind you instinctively know, and what is on your heart you in your heart want to obey. There is no hiding from That law, no ignorance of it.
Through the law we become conscious of sin rom3:20

Therefore if a person has no conscience they sin by failing to observe a specific seventh day Sabbath only two things are possible.
Either God has not written that law on their mind and placed it on their heart or they are not a Christian.
I would sincerely ask you to contemplate on that much before responding. It is scripturally the correct deduction

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Romans 2

While it is true that salvation-by-work like pride and selfishness is a part of the "human condition" and so go across all denominations regardless of their actual doctrine.

it is not true that Romans 2 is promoting that sort of thing - which I am sure we would both agree to.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.