Why do people believe RCC is the anti-christ?

• Thread starter matthewmarklukejohn
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

matthewmarklukejohn

I am trying to discern the truth.

Allot of people tell me they think RCC is the anti-christ and all wrong(even people on this board).

The common denominator with them seems to be the book of revelation. I don't really get it though. This book does not "speak" this idea to me...altho I can honestly say that this book is kinda hard to grasp(for me).

I guess my question is, did you grapple with this before and what credible info leads you to believe this idea is wrong?

No offense intended I am trying to learn the truth...that's all... I have a yearning to receive the Eucharist but my friends ideas has placed some doubt on me. I want to please the Lord - that's all.

Thank you.

winsome

English, not British
Dec 15, 2005
England
✟19,011.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Allot of people tell me they think RCC is the anti-christ and all wrong(even people on this board).

The common denominator with them seems to be the book of revelation. I don't really get it though. This book does not "speak" this idea to me...altho I can honestly say that this book is kinda hard to grasp(for me).

I guess my question is, did you grapple with this before and what credible info leads you to believe this idea is wrong?

No offense intended I am trying to learn the truth...that's all... I have a yearning to receive the Eucharist but my friends ideas has placed some doubt on me. I want to please the Lord - that's all.

Thank you.

I don't know about the anti-christ. The more usual charge from the book of revelation is that the Catholic Church is the harlot of Babylon, though why they claim that is a bit of a mystery. Possibly because Babylon is a code for Rome.

But when Peter says he is writing from Babylon (i.e. Rome) it suddenly isn't a code for Rome any more. :scratch:

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,818.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

Many Early Christian were persecuted and killed by the Roman Empire, and so in the Revelation the antichrist have some signs of the Roman Empire.
In the I century therewas the myth (also among the pagan) that Nero (the Roman Emperor who persecued lots of christian and martirizes St Peter and St Paul) was not died but he would came back from the East to conquest the world.

Anyway il was only Mr Luther that applyed the title of antichrist to the pope for his political aims. And still many protestants (see the official web page of the LCMS about the antichrist) believe this falsity.

Why? there are many psicological reasons, but I think the main reason is a reasoning like "The pope is the antichrist. You are a protestant and you dont follow the pope -> so you are saint" (that is obviously false, but it gratifies the self, and it was the way Mr Luther used to proselytize to his own-founded denomination )

You can partake with us the True Body and Blood of Christ (the Holy Eucharist) only if you are Catholic or Orthodox

Upvote 0

Brother Simon

And His name shall be called Wonderful...
Aug 2, 2004
Texas
✟9,744.00
Faith
Catholic
Because they've never looked into Catholicism. They take their pastor's word, or their parents word. I have a friend who all of her arguments against the Church begin with: "Well, daddy says priests try to lure people to church with booze and money..." I weep for my generation which puts their blind trust in other people, specifically in the media.

With love,
Simon

Upvote 0

Brother_Justin

Warrior of Our Lady
Apr 10, 2005
Iowa
✟4,587.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Frankly it is because these denominations choose to take an eisigetical analyses of the Bible instead of an exegetical. Meaning they make meaning come out of the Bible in order to fulfill their own personal agenda, instead of reading it and putting it into a context and reading it for what it really says. This is not uncommon for many protestant denominations. This stems primarily from their wonderful(I use this term loosely) Martin Luther. Luther had a terrible time actualy using the scripture appropriatly. A little bit of education and some study and one finds that such a proclomation is unfounded and simply absord. I would tell your friends to think about what they are saying. I would also urge them to think for themselves and stop listening to a pastor or group of pastors who do not have the interest of the entire Christian body in mind. It is a smoke screen for the real problem. That problem being the protestant church lacks the fulness of truth and they lack fulfillment. Usualy this becomes our fault, and we quickly become the harlot of Babylon and the anti Christ. Oh well, no one said that being the salt of the earth and a light on the hill would be easy. You need to decide for yourself if you believe this non-sense. Do not let your friends stop you from becoming part of the one true church.

Brother Justin <><

Upvote 0

millerrod

Contributor
Dec 10, 2005
I try to live in obidence to god some days i fail
✟15,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This link defends the RCC and scripturally shows that the thoughts of many concerning the RCC is in error an error which has sadly caused a division within the Body of Christ and a division that can and should be healed by the Truth shown in this link. of coarse there are eyes that see and some that do not.
http://www.freewebs.com/urldownloads/Setting_the_Seal_of_Truth_of_Rev.pdf

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most of the people who try to tell me that my Catholicism is Satanic, say some silly thing about the Catholic veneration of Saints is idolatry... but when I try to explain that Catholics don't PRAY to saints, as they would to a god, but ask for their intercession WITH God, it seems to fall on deaf ears.

They also seem to think the Catholic tendency towards iconography is somehow sinful... even though, as you know, a Catholic mass is just as valid in a bare walled concrete room as it is in St Peter's Basilica

Upvote 0

DiaconoGuillermo

May 19, 2007
✟15,265.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I tried to reply earlier but ran afoul of the rule that as a "newbie" I can't post an external link.

The long and short of its that calling one another the "AntiChrist" has become an almost intermural sport among Christians. There was (to me at least) a very interesting two part special on the AntiChrist on the History Channel recently. If you are really interested in the subject it has been made available on DVD by the History Channel.

I tried to include a link to the appropriate page - obviously a no, no. Sigh!!

Upvote 0

Maggie893

It is what it is.
Sep 13, 2004
Maine
✟28,951.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi MMLJ!

As you can see from prior responses there is not a lot of substance to the claims that the Church is somehow the Antichrist or the harlot of Babylon.

I find it intriguing that you desire the Eucharist and the very thing keeping you from it is someone's interpretation of Revelation. There is great irony there if not a little spiritual battle going on.

Scott Hahn is an author of a book called The Lamb's Supper which I would recommend to you. While it is not a complete study on Revelation, it is a thorough study on the Eucharist and Revelation is shown to have provided an unbelievable amount of insight into the early Church's Mass and the intent of God to fulfill His mission on earth through the Eucharist.

I'm attaching a link that gives a brief excerpt from the book. In the last paragraph he says, "This, in fact, gives us the whole interpretive key to the Book of Revelation. Many non-Catholic as well as Catholic scholars have noticed that the whole structure of Revelation is a big Passover liturgy where Christ, the Priest King, the firstborn Son and the Lamb looking as though it's been slain conducts and celebrates the heavenly liturgy. And the earthly liturgy is meant to be a reflection in that, a participation in that, and the early Church took it for granted. There is the Lamb looking as though it's been slain and making all of the people in heaven priests so they can assist in the offering of the firstborn son of God to the Father and join themselves with it."
http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/euchc3.htm

Scott Hahn himself was a Protestant pastor who had heard and somewhat believed the inaccuracies about the Church that you are hearing as well. It wasn't until he actually attended a Mass with bible in hand that he understood Revelations as he had never before and that began his journey to the Catholic Church.

I highly recommend that you take the time to investigate for yourself so that you will have a full knowledge and be able to share with your friends where they may not yet fully understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What if this st malachi guy is legit and the last pope does turn bad and lead a chunk of the flock astray..The apostate protestants would link up and you would have the false church...He would call true believers to come out of it..Just a thought....pax..Kim

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
What if this st malachi guy is legit and the last pope does turn bad and lead a chunk of the flock astray..The apostate protestants would link up and you would have the false church...He would call true believers to come out of it..Just a thought....pax..Kim

Prophecies don't say the last Pope will do that. For the record I don't believe in them. But what they say is:

In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations, at the term of which the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the formidable Judge will judge his people

That could just mean Christian persecution at the end of the world and the second comming. None of that paints the Pope of the prophecy as bad. In fact he "will feed the sheep through many tribulations". That could be read as a good Pope keeping his people faithful. So those prophecies do not say anyting negative about the papacy at all.

Where the last Pope of those prophecies is identified with the Anti-Christ is again by those who try to use Daniel 9:27 and Revelation Chapters 13 and 17 to refer to the Catholic Church. It is Scriptural esigesis for the purpose of viewing something the way somone wants to and not by what is in Scripture.

But Christians hurl invectives at each other at times, Catholics and non-Catholics alike. And what greater invective that "Antichrist"?

Respond with love, patience and scholarship to such accusations.

Some may not be able to delve into theological points on the issue.

Some may be short on patience.

But in Christ...love is available to us all. And it is the one thing that any "Antichrist" can not exhibit. And the strongest proof that we are brothers and sisters in the Lord.

Upvote 0

Maggie893

It is what it is.
Sep 13, 2004
Maine
✟28,951.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

With so many contrary commentaries on St. Malachy's prophecies, I don't think it's wise to assume that Peterus Romanus will be the next Pope or necessarily turn bad. That the end of time will come is no surprise, but never could the Church be destroyed by man or by Satan. What Jesus established, He will fulfill. He is the bridegroom and the Church is His bride. If a Pope did "turn bad" (we've had disgraces before) and people follow his lead, the Church will still stand and be guided by Tradition and the Magisterium. A Pope does not rule the Church, his role is to protect it but he does so strictly by the Will of God.

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,818.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

Such a prophecy is nothing.
Noone can know the future but the Father.

Christ protects His Church: there will always be some bishop with a true apostolic succession, there will always be the True Eucharist, there will always be the true moral teached.
Our Immaculate Mother is always praing the Lord for us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes..God will protect the "church" ie the body of Christ, the bride. But the tares among us( protest and catholic) will be able to be deceived and will blindly follow a charismatic leader where ever he comes from..pax..kim

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I've heard some say the pope is the anti-Christ because of the inverted cross on his chair. Of course the inverted cross represents St Peter who was crucified upside down -at his own request- because he felt unworthy to die in the same manner as Christ.

Upvote 0

PolskiKrol

Teemo support OP
Jun 16, 2004
✟2,437.00
Faith
Catholic
I've also heard Bill Gates is the anti-christ and so is muhammed, every american president, charles darwin, orville redenbacher, the 1967 green bay packers, anyone who wears socks with sandals, ect.

There are a lot of psychos out there who will tell you elvis hangs out in 7-11s and aliens landed in roswell and the pope is the anti-christ. A tiny bit of common sense is all one needs for such occasions.

Reactions: Brother Simon
Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've also heard Bill Gates is the anti-christ and so is muhammed, every american president, charles darwin, orville redenbacher, the 1967 green bay packers, anyone who wears socks with sandals, ect.

There are a lot of psychos out there who will tell you elvis hangs out in 7-11s and aliens landed in roswell and the pope is the anti-christ. A tiny bit of common sense is all one needs for such occasions.

:thumbsup: :D :clap:

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yes..God will protect the "church" ie the body of Christ, the bride. But the tares among us( protest and catholic) will be able to be deceived and will blindly follow a charismatic leader where ever he comes from..pax..kim
kim the HS is going to protect the Church by not allowing any error to be taught through the Mageisterium. So if we do end up with a corrupt pope, whatever, no doctrinal error will ever be taught by him. This is a promise we have from the HS when Jesus said he would not leave us orphans that he would leave us with an authority we can trust. and yes, He will protect his believers from damnation, provided the believeres are walking in repentance. a tare can be come a wheat through repentance and a wheat can become a tare through disobedience. That's why we follow the infallbible teaching of the Church, or at least we try.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.