Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“Love is Love” is an oft heard phrase among those who wish to justify inappropriate expressions of love. To the world around us, it may sound marvelously reasonable, even genteel, like the old phrase “Live and Let Live;” but of the phrase’s subtlety beware, for love is not love when the action is wrong. Take for example the 1972 song, “(If loving you is wrong), I don’t want to be right.” The theme is about an adulterous relationship where the feeling of the person first questions, and then rejects correct moral reasoning. It supports the common idea that love is somehow subjective; that because it is valid in the mind of the person, it can’t be wrong. “Love is Love” is a slick form of propaganda to candy-coat a poisonous pill; sin. And what is sin but disobedience to a known law.

As Catholics, we are taught right from wrong. We acknowledge this in The Penitential Act that precedes the Mass where we confess to almighty God and our brothers and sisters, that we have greatly sinned, in thoughts, words, and deeds (done or failed to do). Yet even non-believers understand what it means to obey or disobey a law, and because of that very knowledge, this particular pill is flavor-coated to pass over discerning tastebuds. How better to skirt a law than to declare it subjective to feelings? Or rename it to sound more acceptable?

Continued below.

• Agree
Reactions: WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
“Love is Love” is an oft heard phrase among those who wish to justify inappropriate expressions of love. To the world around us, it may sound marvelously reasonable, even genteel, like the old phrase “Live and Let Live;” but of the phrase’s subtlety beware, for love is not love when the action is wrong. Take for example the 1972 song, “(If loving you is wrong), I don’t want to be right.” The theme is about an adulterous relationship where the feeling of the person first questions, and then rejects correct moral reasoning. It supports the common idea that love is somehow subjective; that because it is valid in the mind of the person, it can’t be wrong. “Love is Love” is a slick form of propaganda to candy-coat a poisonous pill; sin. And what is sin but disobedience to a known law.

As Catholics, we are taught right from wrong. We acknowledge this in The Penitential Act that precedes the Mass where we confess to almighty God and our brothers and sisters, that we have greatly sinned, in thoughts, words, and deeds (done or failed to do). Yet even non-believers understand what it means to obey or disobey a law, and because of that very knowledge, this particular pill is flavor-coated to pass over discerning tastebuds. How better to skirt a law than to declare it subjective to feelings? Or rename it to sound more acceptable?

Continued below.
Even "love" among men and women can be wrong even outside of adultery.
Lust, yes lust makes people think they are in love.
It's the sin that disguises itself so well as love.
But it fades as the attractiveness changes. Or the 'newness' fades.

IF you make a list why you are with someone: handsome, hard worker, makes money, generous, compliments me,... can all be included in lust because love does not have an explanation [imho] whereas LUST is more than sexual.
It's a list of reasons to be with someone... lust for money, fame, recognition, materials, power, connections etc etc etc

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Explain that one please. Seriously, I thought so too.
Love is a choice. It takes work. You want what’s best for the beloved. Lust is none of that. Lust is about what the person lusting wants. Once they get it, it’s over. It only lasts so long.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Love is a choice. It takes work. You want what’s best for the beloved. Lust is none of that. Lust is about what the person lusting wants. Once they get it, it’s over. It only lasts so long.
:oldthumbsup: It's uncanny is all.

Upvote 0