Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All references to and citations from Scripture come from the Douay-Rheims Challoner Revision ©1899.

All references to and citations from the Liturgy come from the Traditional Latin Mass, specifically, the New Roman Missal by Fr. Francis X. Lasance ©1947.

On January 31, 2023, the National Catholic Reporter published an article titled, “The Eucharist is About More than the Real Presence.” As a so-called “Catholic” publication this is extremely irresponsible journalism, considering less than 30% of Catholics today believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. Father Thomas Reese, SJ, states in his article, “I believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, I just don’t believe in transubstantiation.” Transubstantiation is how Christ makes Himself present in that tiny little host. Part of Father Reese’s argument is that modern Catholics do not or cannot understand Aristotellian metaphysics. No one is asking anyone to try and grasp Aristotle. The Church, over the centuries, has done a fantastic job of describing the process.

First and foremost, transubstantiation is the mysterium fidei (the mystery of faith) spoken of by the priest in the words of institution when he consecrates the chalice and says, “Hic est enim Calix Sanguinis mei, nobi et aeteri testamenti: mysterium fidei, qui pro nobis et pro multis effundetur in remissionem peccatorum” (For this is the Chalice of My Blood, of the new and everlasting testament: the mystery of faith, which for you and for many shall be shed unto the remission of sins). It is the mystery of faith, through which Christ makes Himself present on the altar and through which He makes Himself food for our physical and spiritual nourishment.

Continued below.