Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟723,375.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
What’s wrong with serving good, truthfully?
To truthfully serve God, a person MUST serve humanity and the Earth which is our home. To do anything less is to fall flat in having God as one's reality in life.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟230,865.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
I have followed this subject carefully being one of the few people I know who have actually read all of Darwin's books and I don't believe it.

Very well, then. Which of Darwin's books contains a description of a tektite?

Since you didn't answer my question, I should explain that the description and the image (see below) of a tektite (an australite, to be precise) are in Chapter 3 of Volcanic Islands. Darwin describes it a a volcanic bomb and as 'what at first appears to be the half of a much flattened oval ball of obsidian', and says that it was given to him by Sir Thomas Mitchell.

Be honest. Have you actually read Volcanic Islands, and do you disbelieve all of it?

1844_VolcanicIslands_F272_fig06.jpg

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Where do you think this perfect, (scientifically), world exists?
Nowhere - nobody that I am aware of has staked out such a position.
If you cannot make it, who are you to criticize my God?

I can read:

Hosea 13:16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Your God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
God is good. Do you call the one you serve good or bad?

If all people come from Adam, literally speaking, who do you think is better or worse?

So if I say that God, Creator of all, is good, do you agree with me?
Considering the amount of suffering in the world, I think there's a good case to be made that if the world was created by a god, it would be an evil god.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟329,323.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Considering the amount of suffering in the world, I think there's a good case to be made that if the world was created by a god, it would be an evil god.

Or at the very least, an indifferent god.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
It is just very common sense and those who hate goodness, cannot understand truth.
Common sense is an unreliable guide to the world - and the rest is a multiple non-sequitur. Who 'hates' goodness, and what has that to do with truth or the understanding of it?

It looks like a long-winded and insulting way of saying that people that don't accept your worldview are bad people and wrong...

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Common sense is an unreliable guide to the world - and the rest is a multiple non-sequitur. Who 'hates' goodness, and what has that to do with truth or the understanding of it?

It looks like a long-winded and insulting way of saying that people that don't accept your worldview are bad people and wrong...

Agreed. Common sense would suggest that a heavy object falls faster than a light one.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟230,865.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
Agreed. Common sense would suggest that a heavy object falls faster than a light one.

O'er the rugged mountain's brow
Clara threw the twins she nursed,
And remarked, 'I wonder now,
Which will reach the bottom first'.

If Clara had learnt Newtonian physics rather than childcare she would have known that the twins would reach the ground at the same time. Indeed, since the children were twins and presumably weighed about the same, Aristotle would have predicted that they would reach the ground at the same time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If Clara had learnt Newtonian physics rather than childcare she would have known that the twins would reach the ground at the same time.
It wouldn't matter.

She got what she really wanted.

She just made it look like a scientific experiment.

Upvote 0

Oneiric1975

Apr 23, 2021
Seattle
✟15,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
More people believe in evolution as time goes by. Is it because they have studied it and understand it, or is it because so many others believe it so they might as well too?

For me it seems obvious. Just look at the fossil record and you see live changing over time. It's kind of hard to make sense of the earth's history without it. And then there's the whole commonality of living things. We all share so much in common that either God was lazy and just re-used modules or we all share common ancestors in the distant, distant past.

Evolution is a really beautiful system that explains SO MUCH!

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
More people believe in evolution as time goes by. Is it because they have studied it and understand it, or is it because so many others believe it so they might as well too?
For the same reasons I don’t believe in fairies. Also, I’ve studied it and understand it.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟145,226.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Or at the very least, an indifferent god.

Theodicy by G.W. Leibniz is a very good reading on this topic.

This book (and author) is unique in the area of "how can there be a good God and still an evil in the creation".

Upvote 0