Why do I find Christians unlike the Christ?

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I think the problems the OP sees with Christianity is not how we are dissimilar to Christ, but how we reflect His teaching. If we recognize sin as sin we are called judgmental, but Jesus recognized sin and called it what it was. If we call homosexuality a sin we are called intolerant, but Jesus recognized it as such and warned against the destruction of the sodomite. If we speak out against false teaching and pastors who teach the lie of evolution we are called creationists as if believing in the word of God is a failing. Jesus said that if you didn't believe the worlds of Moses you would not believe in Him. “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?” (John 5: 46-47) How tolerant was Jesus when He drove the money lenders from the temple?

Those who do not know Jesus and are going to Hell don't like it when you warn them they will go to Hell without Jesus, but Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the light. Nobody comes to the Father but by me." If Jesus said the only way to Heaven is by believing in Him and being re-born, then all the other religions that teach you will go to Heaven by hating this group or killing that group are false. Jesus warned of false teachers like Mohammed who would deliver a false message and lead many to their destruction. That doesn't make Mohammed a great prophet, but a Pied Piper of destruction leading millions to damnation.

Let's face it. You really want us to be LESS like Jesus and more like you.
It's by being like him, not just believing in him. Any person can believe anything, that doesn't necessarily mean you will end up being the thing you believe in.

Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
What I don't understand about some Christians is why they don't care about anything except getting into heaven.

They don't seem to care what happens to anybody as long as they themselves get into heaven.

And they seem to want to trigger the End Times, bring on disaster...

They sell their soul...to get into heaven?
I don't get it.
That I don't understand too, they will step over their mothers graves to get to heaven.

Here a quick question:

Would you believe and follow Jesus even if you only had one life and no after life?

Upvote 0

The Brown Brink

Apr 9, 2017
Kentucky
✟27,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That I don't understand too, they will step over their mothers graves to get to heaven.

Here a quick question:

Would you believe and follow Jesus even if you only had one life and no after life?

Yes.
Jesus was a genius.

Upvote 0

fliperacci901

May 18, 2017
Memphis
✟12,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have read the bible from cover to cover, and what I see written there I don't see in Christians.

Why is it so hard for Christians to become like Jesus?
I agree 100 percent. Well never measure up to Jesus. But we need to do better. I used to go to another forum I wont call its name, it was a circus. I felt like non Christians were more righteous then Christians when I went there.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have read the bible from cover to cover, and what I see written there I don't see in Christians.

Why is it so hard for Christians to become like Jesus?
For one thing, Jesus was God and was sinless by nature. No human can just copy that.

But I actually doubt the commonly-heard argument that "Christians" aren't living up to their calling. Many are, although many are not. Christian societies, even in our somewhat post-Christian age have shown the world more charity, worked for more freedom and equality, and promoted more dignity for the individual person than any other culture in the world.

Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
For one thing, Jesus was God and was sinless by nature. No human can just copy that.

But I actually doubt the commonly-heard argument that "Christians" aren't living up to their calling. Many are, although many are not. Christian societies, even in our somewhat post-Christian age have shown the world more charity, worked for more freedom and equality, and promoted more dignity for the individual person than any other culture in the world.
Jesus was not God, no one is or has been God. Many people are mistaken in thinking some humans are God, but they'd be wrong.

Jesus is no exception, even the old testament records that God is "Not" a man. Yet people persist in thinking frail humans are Gods.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was not God, no one is or has been God.

Well then, you are answering your own question to your own satisfaction, aren't you?

If the question is put to Christians (which was my understanding when I read it) my answer explains the matter.

Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Well then, you are answering your own question to your own satisfaction, aren't you?

If the question is put to Christians (which was my understanding when I read it) my answer explains the matter.
I think so many Christians fail to live up to Jesus because he set too a higher standards. He expects too much and gives little or no demonstration of how to become like him.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think so many Christians fail to live up to Jesus because he set too a higher standards. He expects too much and gives little or no demonstration of how to become like him.

The Acts of the Apostles and the epistles give plenty of information about normal people being Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,545.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The Acts of the Apostles and the epistles give plenty of information about normal people being Christians.

Do they or are they more like an adventure story with dragons and great foes to face?

Seems to me the vast majority of Scripture is about those in extraordinary circumstances and precious little about simply doing the right thing day to day.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do they or are they more like an adventure story with dragons and great foes to face?

Seems to me the vast majority of Scripture is about those in extraordinary circumstances and precious little about simply doing the right thing day to day.

Sure there is. Maybe it takes an intel analyst to see it.

One of the things I pay attention to in Paul's letters are his salutations to the "little people." There are dots there to connect with points in Acts, for instance.

I saw one of the Clinton emails that got hacked and released. It was about some stuff in Benghazi. But I didn't pay attention to the body of the email--that was perishible stuff with little remaining value.

I did, however, pay attention to the addressees. Not the "To:" names--those are high-level appointees that were already out on their ears as soon as Trump started cleaning house. Rather, I paid attention to the "CC:" names.

Those are members of the permanent bureaucracy. Those folk will stay at their desks from administration to administration. That email told me who they are and that when I see those names on a document in the future that I've got real information, not just chatter.

That is, in fact, how bin Laden was finally nailed...the equivalent of a "CC:" name that was finally tracked down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor

Where's the instructions for being like Jesus I say, love your neighbour it says. But how? Saying love your neighbour doesn't help me unless you provide step by step instructions.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where's the instructions for being like Jesus I say, love your neighbour it says. But how? Saying love your neighbour doesn't help me unless you provide step by step instructions.

Do we really need 'more' lessons than something simple like the parable of the Good Samaritan to point us in the right direction?

This isn't rocket science:
Somebody falls; help them get back up.
Somebody is hungry; get them some food.
Somebody is without clothing; provide them some clothing.
Somebody is in need in one way or another; do your best to assist them as you can...
etc., etc.​

No, I rather think Jesus taught more than enough for us to 'get the idea.' We're just too stubborn to do it and too enamored with our own 'rights' to really be bothered with doing what God wants us to do.

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I can understand why somebody would be frustrated looking at what passes for Christianity in the US. Alot of it has little or nothing to do with the ethic of Jesus of Nazareth.

Upvote 0