Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Psalm 103:20–21 “Bless the Lord, O you his angels, you mighty ones who do his word, hearkening to the voice of his word! Bless the Lord, all his hosts, his ministers that do his will!”

Wow, that's powerful. The Bible, showing prayers directly to angels to bless God?

...That's very interesting.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Psalm 103:20–21 “Bless the Lord, O you his angels, you mighty ones who do his word, hearkening to the voice of his word! Bless the Lord, all his hosts, his ministers that do his will!”

Thanks. That is a classic example. The Psalmist is addressing angels, along with all created beings, who do God's will, for the purpose of encouraging them to bless the Lord. Psalm 150 is a classic example. My point remains that prayers in the Psalms are ultimately addressed to God for His glory.

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks. That is a classic example. The Psalmist is addressing angels, along with all created beings, who do God's will, for the purpose of encouraging them to bless the Lord. Psalm 150 is a classic example. My point remains that prayers in the Psalms are ultimately addressed to God for His glory.

Hmm... That's what I hear a lot of Catholics say about their prayers to the saints - that they're ultimately addressed to God.

• Winner
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hmm... That's what I hear a lot of Catholics say about their prayers to the saints - that they're ultimately addressed to God.

If the Psalms are an example, as shown here, then one can hardly go wrong. If, on the other hand, angels and saints are understood as the means to effecting requests from God one is on shaky ground.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,302.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For Roman Catholics, Mary is the only one who can save them from their sins and eternity in hell. God has to do what Mary tells him to do. This means that Mary is the only one who determines who gets mercy. So it is important for Catholics to always be in well with Mary.
false again.

• Winner
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,302.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Vicar of Christ
What this means is that because Christ has given His power and authority to the Pope, every person who receives Christ as Saviour must recognise the Pope as the one who represents Christ on earth.
ugh, there is no Catholic Dogma that says this.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Belinda Cooper

I am called to be salt & light
Jul 26, 2022
Houston
✟18,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why do you think it’s right to pray to Mary and other saints? What Bible verse has gave you the right to that?
I don't believe it to be right. Jesus became our lamb to pay for our sins, the veil was torn so that belief in Him we can go directly to God The Father. We can ask others to pray for us but the fact that catholics look to Mary as an idol is wrong according to Biblical teaching. Kneeling to a statue, creating "jewerly", lighting candles to Mary is not glorifying God- Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

An analogy, as a parent, I want me kids to come to me when they need something, not to thy neighbor and if they went to someone else and that person came to me I would feel awful that my own child didn't know they could come to me directly.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe it to be right. Jesus became our lamb to pay for our sins, the veil was torn so that belief in Him we can go directly to God The Father. We can ask others to pray for us but the fact that catholics look to Mary as an idol is wrong according to Biblical teaching. Kneeling to a statue, creating "jewerly", lighting candles to Mary is not glorifying God- Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

An analogy, as a parent, I want me kids to come to me when they need something, not to thy neighbor and if they went to someone else and that person came to me I would feel awful that my own child didn't know they could come to me directly.
That anyone might look to a person as an idol is wrong, the Catholic church denounces such behavior. You seem to be confusing kneeling to pray with kneeling "to" a statue, the truth is many Catholics kneel and pray at the drop of a hat. Statues are just one kind of reminder of Christ's Church. Praying like Catholics is one thing many Christians denominations would do well to emulate. Candles are popular to remind us that Jesus is the light of the world. Catholics absolutely spend a lot of time praying to Jesus directly, if you read the Bible you will see that Jesus often worked through people and even material, and since Jesus gave us other avenues we feel it is wrong to reject those avenues. Catholics do not feel that we should reject anything that God gave us.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Belinda Cooper

Jul 26, 2022
Houston
✟18,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That anyone might look to a person as an idol is wrong, the Catholic church denounces such behavior. You seem to be confusing kneeling to pray with kneeling "to" a statue, the truth is many Catholics kneel and pray at the drop of a hat. Statues are just one kind of reminder of Christ's Church. Praying like Catholics is one thing many Christians denominations would do well to emulate. Candles are popular to remind us that Jesus is the light of the world. Catholics absolutely spend a lot of time praying to Jesus directly, if you read the Bible you will see that Jesus often worked through people and even material, and since Jesus gave us other avenues we feel it is wrong to reject those avenues. Catholics do not feel that we should reject anything that God gave us.
I was born to a mother that is catholic. I went to catholic church until I was 10 and The Holy Spirit gave me understanding how what was being taught was wrong. I am not saying every catholic is bad but I am strongly against the Catholic religion. I am saved and read my Bible on a regular basis, teach/lead 3 Bible Studies, and I have devoted my life to serve God. Many of the members of my groups were catholics as they too have been reading and growing in relationship with Jesus and now denounce catholicism.

Catholicism is about works and following traditions. Jesus came for a new covenant- A relationship based on belief.

You are free to believe what you want. I call on the name of Jesus, the name greater than any other name.

God Bless

Reactions: TheShire
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was born to a mother that is catholic. I went to catholic church until I was 10 and The Holy Spirit gave me understanding how what was being taught was wrong. I am not saying every catholic is bad but I am strongly against the Catholic religion. I am saved and read my Bible on a regular basis, teach/lead 3 Bible Studies, and I have devoted my life to serve God. Many of the members of my groups were catholics as they too have been reading and growing in relationship with Jesus and now denounce catholicism.

Catholicism is about works and following traditions. Jesus came for a new covenant- A relationship based on belief.

You are free to believe what you want. I call on the name of Jesus, the name greater than any other name.

God Bless

Well, we can't really say that we denounce "Catholicism", because Catholicism includes adherence to the scriptures, as well as water baptism in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit... Among other totally Christian things, such as faith in the Holy Trinity, etc.

To do so would be insulting to the whole of Christianity in that regard.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

God Bless
I was saved too, at Baptism, and I continue to be saved by Jesus. That's sad, if people denounce Catholicism it means they don't understand the Bible. People have lost so much of what has been passed down from Jesus over these almost 2000 years. Jesus in the Holy Eucharist is our New Covenant, or "New Testament," in fact, as the Catholic Church was in the process of choosing the new books of the Bible it was then that Catholics first began to refer to those books as "books of the New Testament."
I will keep you and them in my prayers. God Bless.

Upvote 0

Belinda Cooper

Jul 26, 2022
Houston
✟18,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, we can't really say that we denounce "Catholicism", because Catholicism includes adherence to the scriptures, as well as water baptism in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit... Among other totally Christian things, such as faith in the Holy Trinity, etc.

To do so would be insulting to the whole of Christianity in that regard.

plenty of religions have some Biblical background but misinterpret the meaning of scripture, God's Word. I believe there is enough taught by the catholic religion that contradict the teachings of Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

Belinda Cooper

Jul 26, 2022
Houston
✟18,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was saved too, at Baptism, and I continue to be saved by Jesus. That's sad, if people denounce Catholicism it means they don't understand the Bible. People have lost so much of what has been passed down from Jesus over these almost 2000 years. Jesus in the Holy Eucharist is our New Covenant, or "New Testament," in fact, as the Catholic Church was in the process of choosing the new books of the Bible it was then that Catholics first began to refer to those books as "books of the New Testament."
I will keep you and them in my prayers. God Bless.
Can I ask you why do you consider yourself as Catholic over Christian?

Upvote 0

Belinda Cooper

Jul 26, 2022
Houston
✟18,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Please don't create this false dichotomy.

both your profile details state Catholic and I am asking why you chose to Catholic or Christian? It is an honest question to understand your thought process. Discussion, I believe is what will bridge the gap of our understanding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
both your profile details state Catholic and I am asking why you chose to Catholic or Christian? It is an honest question to understand your thought process. Discussion, I believe is what will bridge the gap of our understanding.

But your question revolved around why someone would consider themselves Catholic *over* Christian... No Catholic does...

I can be called a Christian or a Catholic and both would be right.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Can I ask you why do you consider yourself as Catholic over Christian?
I know that "Christian" was the pagan name used to refer to followers of Christ, the first usage is in the Bible. That does not bother me at all and I have no problem also identifying as a Christian. "Catholic" means "universal" and it is well accepted that the term came into use to differentiate from the various heretical religions that sprung up.

Upvote 0

Belinda Cooper

Jul 26, 2022
Houston
✟18,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But your question revolved around why someone would consider themselves Catholic *over* Christian... No Catholic does...

I can be called a Christian or a Catholic and both would be right.

I can say I could have asked the question in a different way. I will say that in a Christian forum I will say Christian and will most likely attend Baptist Churches however, I do not want my identity to be Baptist. To the world that sees Christians as hypocrites, I will say I am a follower of Christ Jesus. I will correct people when they call me religious and explain that I am in relationship with Jesus as He is my Lord and Savior and God in the Flesh.

Above all my identity is in and through Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

Belinda Cooper

Jul 26, 2022
Houston
✟18,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know that "Christian" was the pagan name used to refer to followers of Christ, the first usage is in the Bible. That does not bother me at all and I have no problem also identifying as a Christian. "Catholic" means "universal" and it is well accepted that the term came into use to differentiate from the various heretical religions that sprung up.

yes the unbelievers used the term "Christian" meaning little Christ as an insult. But as we know the world rejects God and God uses what people reject.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think one of the difficulties is when Christians appropriate other labels and claim them exclusively. There is no doubt in my mind that all Christians are catholic, including the EOC and related branches and most Protestant branches. However, the branch of Christians which submit to the chap in Rome have attempted with a great deal of success to distance themselves from other branches of Christianity in their claims to be THE ONE TRUE and CATHOLIC CHURCH.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.