Why didn't God ban slavery outright instead of creating laws to regulate it?

zijincheng

Jan 9, 2013
Thunder Bay
✟16,540.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
A better translation of the word "slave" in the original greek is I believe servant, bondservant etc. Taking on that meaning of the word slave instead of our currently inferred definition of black slavery in the USA, we are to treat our slaves (bondservants) with respect.

However, why didn't God outright ban slavery, especially when fighting wars? Why did God allow the Israelites to take slaves at all? Sure they might have treated them real well compared to other nations, but that doesn't change the fundamental fact that you took a "lifetime bondservant".

To be clear, I'm not talking about slavery due to debts, that one makes complete sense, you owe me money, come work for me for 6 years and you even get fed and housed.

I have heard the position that preventing slavery during those times was impossible, thus God sought to curb its sinful effects. I'm not too convinced by that, but if someone could explain that in more detail that would be nice, or another position or argument about why God didn't do what he could.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A better translation of the word "slave" in the original greek is I believe servant, bondservant etc. Taking on that meaning of the word slave instead of our currently inferred definition of black slavery in the USA, we are to treat our slaves (bondservants) with respect.

However, why didn't God outright ban slavery, especially when fighting wars? Why did God allow the Israelites to take slaves at all? Sure they might have treated them real well compared to other nations, but that doesn't change the fundamental fact that you took a "lifetime bondservant".

To be clear, I'm not talking about slavery due to debts, that one makes complete sense, you owe me money, come work for me for 6 years and you even get fed and housed.

I have heard the position that preventing slavery during those times was impossible, thus God sought to curb its sinful effects. I'm not too convinced by that, but if someone could explain that in more detail that would be nice, or another position or argument about why God didn't do what he could.

In all things, treat other people just as you would have them treat you.
God was quite clear about that in "the Law and the Prophets."

Matthew 7:12
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you,
do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

This goes far past just the slavery issue.

• Winner
Reactions: dcalling
Upvote 0

zijincheng

Jan 9, 2013
Thunder Bay
✟16,540.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In all things, treat other people just as you would have them treat you.
God was quite clear about that in "the Law and the Prophets."

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you,
do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

This goes far past just the slavery issue.

Yes and that is central to my point. War is not a sin the same way murder is (I'm pretty sure), so does everything that happens under that umbrella of "war" automatically OK enough for the Israelites to do? I mean is being invaded and captured as an indentured servant really something you want done to you? Capturing an enemy non-combatant and making them your servant really isn't honouring Matthew 7:12

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Employing what is referred to as "slaves" in the Bible and "slavery" as it is (rightfully) condemned in our culture, are 2 rather different things.
Here's an excellent (i.m.o.) video about the slaves and masters in Scripture:

Upvote 0

zijincheng

Jan 9, 2013
Thunder Bay
✟16,540.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Employing what is referred to as "slaves" in the Bible and "slavery" as it is (rightfully) condemned in our culture, are 2 rather different things.
Here's an excellent (i.m.o.) video about the slaves and masters in Scripture:

I'm quite sure I addressed your comment in the first sentence of my post, differentiating the two. My question is more addressing why didn't God ban indentured servitude due to "unfair" circumstances, like war (not including debt because that's fair).

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes and that is central to my point. War is not a sin the same way murder is (I'm pretty sure), so does everything that happens under that umbrella of "war" automatically OK enough for the Israelites to do? I mean is being invaded and captured as an indentured servant really something you want done to you? Capturing an enemy non-combatant and making them your servant really isn't honouring Matthew 7:12

In those days Honoring would mean laying down your weapons
and offering your services to the enemy as a gift. I can only
defend the OT by saying that God knows the outcome of everything so,

it was what it was. I repeat my refrain, "The scriptures are a good
measure History, and there are no requests that we repeat any of
the events we read about."

Why didn't God ban slavery? He did.

Ephesians 4:32
Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Ephesians 4:29-32
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Luke 6:31
And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

John 15:12
“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 John 4:20-21
If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.

Romans 12:10
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.

Proverbs 24:17
Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles,

Romans 15:1-2
We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm quite sure I addressed your comment in the first sentence of my post, differentiating the two.
Yes you did.
My question is why didn't God ban indentured servitude due to "unfair" circumstances, like war (not including debt because that's fair).
I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to as being unfair circumstances.
Is it unfair to employ people who weren't killed in a war, rather than leaving them to their own devices?
But i guess you're (also) asking a much broader question: "Why does God allow evil?"
I have no good answer to that though, other than that God lets things play out as the players play it.
But then the question remains: "Why?"

Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
there is a misunderstanding in christianity that the law of moses was somhow gods will. It definitly is not gods will as the old testament itself denies such a thing. God later condemns the killing of animals as sacrifices etc, even if it was regulated with over 100 commandmends in leviticus! Jesus, who is the perfect will of god in flesh, came to redeem us from the law, very clearly spelling out that the law was something god SAVED US FROM, not to help us.
Youll find that even the jewish ppl in sinai was invited to live directly by the living word of god not from a written law, but they rejected the voice that spoke from them from sinai, and so the law was given until the promised came, and the law is given to make the all stand guilty before god, so that they can repent and beleive, not to show gods will in any direct way.

BUT the law is designed in a way that theres a lot of shadow imagiry in the law of moses, that points to the gospel. And the gospel IS the will of God
For instance: As slavery was forced labor, God commanded that on the 7th year of any person in slavery (pointing to the day of the lord, the 7th day) all salves had to be set free. There is gods will for you.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Slavery still exists today. It's just called something else, in the US it is called mandatory sentencing, and giving poor people a bail that is too high for them to pay, it's an extension of indentured servitude. In Canada, I'd say human trafficking, though illegal, still occurs.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God enacted the laws regarding slavery to preserve life at that time, for those people, in that culture. If a conquered enemy was not made a slave, their life was forfeit, they had no citizenship rights, i.e. they were not allowed to have a job to support themselves as a free conquered enemy, nor to own property or a home. Without slavery, the conquered person had no protector. Without a job (or slavery) they would have died from starvation or other enemies who would kill them without pause. With the laws of slavery, the conquered person held a position where the "Master" was required to provide them housing and feed them and care for them and protect them. But because of the fallen nature of man, the slavery system was corrupt and there was great abuse.

This, by no means, is a validation for slavery to exist today. And slavery in the colonial period of America was utterly destructive and corrupt and no comparable to the slavery in the Bible.

Upvote 0

zijincheng

Jan 9, 2013
Thunder Bay
✟16,540.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
God enacted the laws regarding slavery to preserve life at that time, for those people, in that culture. If a conquered enemy was not made a slave, their life was forfeit, they had no citizenship rights, i.e. they were not allowed to have a job to support themselves as a free conquered enemy, nor to own property or a home. Without slavery, the conquered person had no protector. Without a job (or slavery) they would have died from starvation or other enemies who would kill them without pause. With the laws of slavery, the conquered person held a position where the "Master" was required to provide them housing and feed them and care for them and protect them. But because of the fallen nature of man, the slavery system was corrupt and there was great abuse.

This, by no means, is a validation for slavery to exist today. And slavery in the colonial period of America was utterly destructive and corrupt and no comparable to the slavery in the Bible.

Thanks for all your replies, but this is the best reply I've heard all day.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
there is a misunderstanding in christianity that the law of moses was somhow gods will. It definitly is not gods will as the old testament itself denies such a thing.

Interesting. Where is that?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,954.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Judaism isn't Christianity. The Old Testament scriptures is a major part of Judaism and is seemingly often at odds with the teachings of Christ.

Christ once told the Jews (Pharisees then becoming Judaists) in the Book John that their father is the devil.

This brings doubts regarding if the Old Testament should be part of Christian teaching or disregarded completely. In fact, there's many OT teachings we don't do that Jews does.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for all your replies, but this is the best reply I've heard all day.
I basically agree.
One of the major differences of black slavery in this country and slavery (Not bond servant/indentured servant) in the OT is that black slaves were abducted/kidnapped, which was against Moses' Law.

Exo 21:16 And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.

1Ti 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
1Ti 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For instance: As slavery was forced labor, God commanded that on the 7th year of any person in slavery (pointing to the day of the lord, the 7th day) all salves had to be set free. There is gods will for you.
I am only aware that, that was true for a Hebrew servant, not slaves of other nations who were taken in war.
Exo 21:2 If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.
through verse 11.

Could you lead me to a scripture that says all slaves? Thanks

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

First, the surprisingly radical new law in that appeared in the Old Covenant time for Israel:

15 If a slave has taken refuge with you, do not hand them over to their master. 16 Let them live among you wherever they like and in whatever town they choose. Do not oppress them. -- Deu ch 23 (Old Covenant, Israel)

Makes us think of the Underground Railroad? Like the U.S. before 1863?....

No, stronger. Unlike the U.S. in the 1850s, this was law from God, and such slaves could not be recaptured.

This practically makes this bondservanthood voluntary. You could just leave! That's radical.

Some additional context:
1) Slavery was universal, worldwide.
2) Israel had escaped slavery in Eygpt, only a generation or so before this.
3) Israel would become enslaved again, due to profoundly evil idolatry (sacrificing their children in fire to idols!).
4) Bondservants were freed at the end of 6 years (Deu 15:12, etc.)

But what of the New Covenant, where we know Paul and Peter wrote to believers in servanthood to be good servants even to harsh masters?

Answer: as in the chapter 1 Cor 8, the aim is to bear burdens for others -- so that slave owners themselves would be converted!

Goal: convert and save souls into eternal life!

But, after the owner was converted...then we have the surprising 1 page letter to Philemon! Philemon 1 NIV

Making an escaped slave equal to his owner. Not a lower class. Not merely free, but equal!

Better than the U.S. in the 1950s.... Before our civil rights movement, and some will say, even today....

Yes?

Last edited:
Reactions: dcalling
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Slavery is addressed above, but I realize you have a big picture question too --

Why not end all slavery in the world (or even just for Israel?), all at once?

When you read through the Old Testamanet, you see that over and over man cannot obey the Law from God.

At first, in paradise, the law was simply like: trust Me and don't eat of the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil, even though you are able.

Broke that of course.

Then the law became in time a simple list of 10 Commandments.

Broke those, excessively, over and over, universally practically, hardly any exceptions!

Could not keep.

So...next, detailed little micro rules to regulate in detail.

Could not keep that well, and when they did they ended up like the Pharisees in the time of Christ -- arrogant and like a pretty tomb -- pretty on the outside and evil on the inside, in the heart.

"...whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean."

The problem is true change, under the situation of real freedom.

Love is not forced. Therefore, we have to have freedom here. A necessary situation.
Love is a voluntary choice, and also from the heart too.

So, a way had to be made to convert us.

The Old Testament Law seems like a progression, like incremental steps.

Christ is the sudden fulfillment! The fulfillment of the Law. In spirit and in truth.

The culmination -- Love.

"God is Love." (1 John)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First, the surprisingly radical new law in that appeared in the Old Covenant time for Israel:

15 If a slave has taken refuge with you, do not hand them over to their master. 16 Let them live among you wherever they like and in whatever town they choose. Do not oppress them. -- Deu ch 23 (Old Covenant, Israel)
I think these two verses need to be read in the context of verse 14.

Deu 23:14 For the LORD thy God walketh in the midst of thy camp, to deliver thee, and to give up thine enemies before thee; therefore shall thy camp be holy: that he see no unclean thing in thee, and turn away from thee.
Deu 23:15 Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee:
Deu 23:16 He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him.

The slave spoken of here was one who had escaped an unholy master and he/she had chosen to live in Israel under the laws of Israel. Where it says, "even among you" that 'you' is the nation of Israel, 'one of thy gates' would be a tribe, Judah, Benjamin, etc. each having their own land within Israel.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think these two verses need to be read in the context of verse 14.

Deu 23:14 For the LORD thy God walketh in the midst of thy camp, to deliver thee, and to give up thine enemies before thee; therefore shall thy camp be holy: that he see no unclean thing in thee, and turn away from thee.
Deu 23:15 Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee:
Deu 23:16 He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him.

The slave spoken of here was one who had escaped an unholy master and he/she had chosen to live in Israel under the laws of Israel. Where it says, "even among you" that 'you' is the nation of Israel, 'one of thy gates' would be a tribe, Judah, Benjamin, etc. each having their own land within Israel.

Just continue reading in that post. (but first, one can and should read all of Bible Gateway passage: Deuteronomy 23 - New International Version (and also chapters before are alike in that they are ) -- a list of laws, and God says He knows when they break these laws, He sees their actions, none hidden) Paul took that law, and applied it, and then did more.

You should notice that Paul, Peter instruct believers to remain cheerful servants even to harsh masters. Why? See above post for reason.

Upvote 0