Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Who says the Holy Spirit is a masculine force? You can't just say that without backing up your statement with sources, James. Maybe it is, but you need to show from whom you've borrowed that idea.

Made me think. I speak several languages and whereas in English there’s no grammatical gender, in some other languages I speak there’s gender, and in them the Holy Spirit is masculine and is never referred to or understood to be female. The Godhead is taken to be masculine through and through: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy He-Spirit.

Is the Spirit understood to be a neutral person in gender? Kind of non-binary as they say today. Which pronoun would normally be used in English referring to the Spirit? He or She or It? I realized I have never paid close attention.

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Who says the Holy Spirit is a masculine force? You can't just say that without backing up your statement with sources, James. Maybe it is, but you need to show from whom you've borrowed that idea.

I read that when the Spirit is called Counsellor or Comforter in the NT, those nouns are masculine and so masculine pronouns are used. Also Jesus brakes the grammatical rules to refer to the neutral Holy Pneuma (breath) as masculine Ekeinos i.e. the [masculine] one…

Also the Catholic Church commanded to use He for the Holy Spirit in liturgy except in languages where it’s customary to say She.

It was interesting to learn that in Syriac as in Hebrew the spirit is feminine and so in the 4th century the Syriac church used Maternal imagery to render the Spirit.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Made me think. I speak several languages and whereas in English there’s no grammatical gender, in some other languages I speak there’s gender, and in them the Holy Spirit is masculine and is never referred to or understood to be female. The Godhead is taken to be masculine through and through: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy He-Spirit.

Is the Spirit understood to be a neutral person in gender? Kind of non-binary as they say today. Which pronoun would normally be used in English referring to the Spirit? He or She or It? I realized I have never paid close attention.

It's interesting to know that you speak several languages, but regardless of what our modern languages do in attempting to handle a Jewish concept of God from a by-gone era, language and culture, I'm going to remain with my existential perspective in viewing the Holy Spirit in an more neutral, non-binary way and without projecting anthropomorphic attributes to "Him."

I especially want to combine my perspective with my inclination to think that there any historical anthropomorphizing of the Holy Spirit within various sectors of Christianity was never a license for those who affiliate and identify with this faith ... to assert themselves violently in the world (such as was seen, for instance, in the Crusades).

Reactions: James_Lai
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read that when the Spirit is called Counsellor or Comforter in the NT, those nouns are masculine and so masculine pronouns are used. Also Jesus brakes the grammatical rules to refer to the neutral Holy Pneuma (breath) as masculine Ekeinos i.e. the [masculine] one…
Right. But from this, we aren't justified in projecting onto the Holy Spirit any factual masculinity. The Holy Spirit isn't male, female or an 'it.' But being that our concepts incorporate the idea that God the Spirit has power and authority, we default to referring to Him as "Him."

Also the Catholic Church commanded to use He for the Holy Spirit in liturgy except in languages where it’s customary to say She.
Well, James, that may be, but so what? Are my making an allusion to the Latin Vulgate here?

It was interesting to learn that in Syriac as in Hebrew the spirit is feminine and so in the 4th century the Syriac church used Maternal imagery to render the Spirit.
Yep.

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's interesting to know that you speak several languages, but regardless of what our modern languages do in attempting to handle a Jewish concept of God from a by-gone era, language and culture, I'm going to remain with my existential perspective in viewing the Holy Spirit in an more neutral, non-binary way and without projecting anthropomorphic attributes to "Him."

I especially want to combine my perspective with my inclination to think that there any historical anthropomorphizing of the Holy Spirit within various sectors of Christianity was never a license for those who affiliate and identify with this faith ... to assert themselves violently in the world (such as was seen, for instance, in the Crusades).

I grew up in a multi-lingual environment so picked up several languages, then there are closely related languages, easy to learn. Then in Canada kept learning European languages English and French. I love linguistics.

So you prefer dynamistic, not animistic understanding of the Holy Ghost

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I grew up in a multi-lingual environment so picked up several languages, then there are closely related languages, easy to learn. Then in Canada kept learning European languages English and French. I love linguistics.

So you prefer dynamistic, not animistic understanding of the Holy Ghost

Right. I think applying a more dynamic mode of thought is beneficial in this field of inquiry.

And I do so by keeping various conceptual developments and handlings of the 'sexual identity' of God, or even specifically of the Holy Spirit, which we find in the Church's history.

And as Kärkkäinen has pointed out in his book on Pneumatology, we can draw upon our ability to scrutinize such things as Augustine's influences regarding God's sexualized conceptualization in the Church. We can look at these usages from the past all the way up to those in the present day where some Feminist theologians point out other linguistic inconsistencies which we may succumb to in using and appropriating our sexualized concepts of God.

Reference

Kärkkäinen, V. M. (2018). Pneumatology: The Holy Spirit in ecumenical, international, and contextual perspective. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello.
In the non-Christian non-Western world people love developed science, economics etc of the West. However, they see the Christian West as an epitome of evil on the global scene…. Wars, occupations, colonizations, robbing the nations, exploitation, slavery, opium trade, genocide, etc

There’s a disconnect between Christian teaching and actions of governments for many centuries up until today.

Why do you think there’s such stark contrast?

I think the perception you describe here is greatly distorted and in some respects quite false. In the case of the Muslim world, for example, the democratic, secular West is bound together with Christianity which is, in the view of the Islamic community, a false religion that through Jihad needs to be destroyed. There is a constantly-nourished, entirely theological, hatred of the West generally as a great enemy of the Muslim and his/her faith. This hatred is, though, more an institutional thing than the fruit of personal bad experience with western Christians that the individual Muslim has had.

The political "progressive" Left has also worked to distort the history of the West, making more of its failures than is warranted, massaging those failures into atrocities and asserting underlying, incorrigible systemic corruption of Western democracies that is beyond remediation. The grotesque 1619 Project is a good example of this sort of massive distortion of the facts, at some points, completely rewriting history, or the infamous Critical Race Theory stuff that boils down into the very thing it sets out to defeat: bald-faced racism.

All of the violence, colonization, theft, exploitation, genocide and so on laid at the feet of western enlightened democracies can also be laid at the feet of every other nation and political/ideological system that exists. As has been pointed out many times, Communism has killed far, far, far more people than institutionalized Christianity ever did. For many centuries, African tribes were notorious for slavery of their fellow Africans - and Europeans, too. The Japanese have a long history of oppression of women, xenophobia, and during the time of the second World War, violent, rapacious expansionism into China, Korea and the Philippines.

And so it goes. There is no failing in western democracies that is unique to them. Human hearts are the same regardless of politics, ideologies or religions - selfish, and cruel, and corrupt, as the Bible declares. This reality of human nature always, inevitably, manifests in the myriad and horrendous ways in which humans abuse, and have abused, each other.

Christianity is not supposed to serve as a political system. It's values and ethics may inform political systems, as in the case of the American Constitution, but Christianity is concerned with eternal, spiritual matters ultimately and chiefly, not dictating the foreign policy of a nation, or creating governmental bureaucracies. When Christianity is institutionalized and politicized, it quickly becomes a very ugly, dangerous thing. Think: The Inquisition, or papal indulgences, or the murderous opposition of Roman Catholic clerisy to the printing of the Bible for public use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for sharing your path and your honesty to tell things how they were and still are! I appreciate it very much. You tell this matter-of-factly today, but I bet it hasn’t been easy… I can’t imagine working through ideas that have been ingrained in you since birth… You still struggle with them as you said … Like fear of hell…

How about the second part of my question? Losing your old circle of friends and family, have you found a new community of like-minded people or are you like John a lonely voice in the wilderness?

Thanks for appreciating my story. Yep, things are not easy but I find that I can’t really believe in God anymore. It’s like discovering there’s no Santa Claus over on the North Pole. Can’t really will to believe.

I’m married, with a very religious family on my and wife’s side, so our friends are mostly religious, but we don’t usually debate religion with our friends or with wife’s family. I’d say my family is into debates but they are becoming less frequent now. I find there’s psychology involved and it feels like I need validation from my family. My dad was critical and seldom if ever affirming or supportive of me, even when I was a believer. And so, I feel that I’m longing for that affirmation today in the debates.

Upvote 0

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As has been pointed out many times, Communism has killed far, far, far more people than institutionalized Christianity ever did.

Im not sure I agree with this, although you do compare “institutionalized” Christianity vs Communists. Interestingly enough, communism came from the democratic Western Europe. Karl Marx was German. And I’m of the opinion that communism was a western project/plan aimed at destroying the Russian Empire. This project was successful. Vladimir Lenin was sponsored by the West, similar to how Hillary Clinton said “we are fighting the people we funded previously” regarding the war in Afghanistan. So, the Christian Orthodox Russian empire fell to the Bolsheviks, and this was followed by the Russian civil war. Many people have died during that conflict and, those numbers are all counted as victims of Communism. I’d say it’s not so simple.

Look at the current conflict in the Middle East. George W Bush invaded Iraq, which then caused destabilization there, and brought Islamist terrorism to the region. Many thousands of people died. But are they victims of Christian leaders building democracy or Islamist terrorism?

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Im not sure I agree with this, although you do compare “institutionalized” Christianity vs Communists. Interestingly enough, communism came from the democratic Western Europe. Karl Marx was German. And I’m of the opinion that communism was a western project/plan aimed at destroying the Russian Empire. This project was successful. Vladimir Lenin was sponsored by the West, similar to how Hillary Clinton said “we are fighting the people we funded previously” regarding the war in Afghanistan. So, the Christian Orthodox Russian empire fell to the Bolsheviks, and this was followed by the Russian civil war. Many people have died during that conflict and, those numbers are all counted as victims of Communism. I’d say it’s not so simple.

Look at the current conflict in the Middle East. George W Bush invaded Iraq, which then caused destabilization there, and brought Islamist terrorism to the region. Many thousands of people died. But are they victims of Christian leaders building democracy or Islamist terrorism?

I love love history. It’s funny how numbers are manipulated, such as the “victims of communism”. Solzhanitsyn claimed “Stalin killed 60 million” so they hear nonsense like that and believe it. For that to be true, all adult population of the USSR would have to be killed… It’s so easy to check census data in the Russian Empire and then USSR to see that such slaughter simply never happened. Not to minimize the Stalinist horror. The real deaths as the result of Stalinist executions were in the area of 1 million during 1924-1953, including actual murderers, terrorists etc Those were probably most challenging years in all of Russian history post the bloodiest civil war, country devastated, then devastated once again by the Nazis etc etc

Winston Churchill caused the death of 2 million Bengalies in 1943 by famine…. Who talks about “the victims of capitalism”? Or Churchillist regime?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
As has been pointed out many times, Communism has killed far, far, far more people than institutionalized Christianity ever did.

"Pointing something out" does not make it true. Perhaps you have some numbers that would back up the mind boggling statement that a political philosophy of the last hundred year could possible challenge the death count of the unholy union of church and state that has persisted since the days of Constantine.

Upvote 0

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Winston Churchill caused the death of 2 million Bengalies in 1943 by famine…. Who talks about “the victims of capitalism”? Or Churchillist regime?

That’s a great point. And nobody really counts lynched African Americans or killed Native American Indians in the US. It’s basically a double standard. Look at how American Gov today blames Putin for crackdowns on protesters in Russia even as the FBI is cracking down Jan 6 protesters. The US lectures the world on democracy, while many Americans believe the last election was stolen, etc…. There seems to be an ingrained way of thinking in double standards. When Putins police kills somebody, it is evidence of a rotten system. When American police kill’s unarmed citizen, it’s evidence of that one officer being rotten.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Im not sure I agree with this, although you do compare “institutionalized” Christianity vs Communists. Interestingly enough, communism came from the democratic Western Europe. Karl Marx was German. And I’m of the opinion that communism was a western project/plan aimed at destroying the Russian Empire.

Yes, I'm aware of Marx's cultural extraction. Was Karl Marx a democratic western European? Geographically, yes, but not ideologically/politically. Did Marx write as a representative of western Europe? Was he under the aegis of some democratic political body that had tasked him with the undermining of Russia? I've never seen concrete evidence of this, have you? From the accounts I've read of his life and thought (most notably by one-time Marxist, Thomas Sowell), Marx was a bit of a nut, hyper-narcissistic, contentious and shiftless, regularly alienating himself from those around him, manic about the destruction of western political systems, economic structures, and religion.

So, the Christian Orthodox Russian empire fell to the Bolsheviks, and this was followed by the Russian civil war. Many people have died during that conflict and, those numbers are all counted as victims of Communism. I’d say it’s not so simple.

Okay. You're entitled to your view, of course.

Your question here seems to rely upon a certain equivocation of the term "Christian." Bush might have enacted policies in the Middle East that fomented Islamic antagonism toward America, but did he do so as a representative of Christianity? Were his policies particularly Christian, serving Christian ethics and purposes? Only if you stretch the term "Christian" to include a sort of convenient religious nominalism that encompasses behavior and thought that often goes directly against the teachings of Christ and his apostles. Classic, orthodox, biblical Christianity, though, misaligns frequently and profoundly with much of what "Christian" political leaders in North America have done professionally and personally.

Regardless of Bush's political policies, orthodox Islamic doctrine places all non-believers in a position of fundamental enmity with Islam, all of whom must be brought into subjugation to Islam (or killed) through various forms of jihad. Under such belief, it doesn't take much for any unbeliever to incur the militant animosity of Muslims. And so, Muslims have frequently entered into bloody conflicts with non-Muslim group they believe they can dominate, which includes Hindus, Buddhists, and secularists, not just Christians.

It is almost axiomatic that Muslims kill each other nearly as much as the non-Muslim. Many are the "in-house" conflicts that have become violent and murderous. The recent deadly Shi'a vs. Sunni contest in Syria is a good example. Death is also a commonplace consequence of contravention of various Islamic laws (blasphemy, infidelity, homosexuality, etc). In light of this, it seems to me mistaken to lay Islamic violence solely, or even primarily, at the feet of provocative western (Christian) democracies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
"Pointing something out" does not make it true. Perhaps you have some numbers that would back up the mind boggling statement that a political philosophy of the last hundred year could possible challenge the death count of the unholy union of church and state that has persisted since the days of Constantine.

https://www.cato.org/commentary/100-years-communism-death-deprivation

Can you offer anything concrete in support of the assertion that the "unholy union of Church and State that has persisted since the days of Constantine" exceeds the death count achieved by Communism? Not vague, convoluted attributions of death to the "unholy union" you wrote of, mind you, but a direct, line-of-sight relationship between this union and the deaths of people, as in the case of Stalin's "Holodomor," or Mao's "Great Leap," or Pol Pot's "Killing Fields."

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It’s so easy to check census data in the Russian Empire and then USSR to see that such slaughter simply never happened.

This is naive in the extreme. Willfully so, it seems, given your carefulness and skepticism in other areas.

It isn't a denial of destructive policies enacted by western political leaders to point out the destruction caused by Communist regimes. As I observed in an earlier post, across-the-board, the human heart is "deceitful above all things and desperately wicked." This can be observed around the world, regardless of political system, religion or ideology. Death-dealing evil is not the peculiar domain of Communism - though, I think societies retaining at least some vestige of their Judeo-Christian heritage do not fall into wholesale slaughter and oppression of the citizenry, as has occurred in Communist countries. Any society that fails to take into account the natural depravity of mankind, guarding against it in its governing structures and laws, eventually descends into darkness and cruel savagery. This seems very evident to me throughout human history.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you offer anything concrete in support of the assertion that the "unholy union of Church and State that has persisted since the days of Constantine" exceeds the death count achieved by Communism?

From your link:
“The Black Book of Communism,” a postmortem of communist atrocities compiled by European and American academics in 1997, concluded that the human cost of genocides, extrajudicial executions, deportations, and artificial famines stood at over 94 million."

This is fuzzy math, that includes WW2 deaths. This is an example of unfair accounting. Think about it. Did the Soviet Union have mass killers? Of course it did. But, if a mass killer killed 10 people and was himself executed, that's 11 more victims of Stalin. That is, I repeat, fuzzy math.

And Holodomor was not Stalin's. The issue for the young USSR was sanctions and gold blockade. It just so happened in the 1930s, that the capitalist west, only wanted grains but not gold from Stalin's USSR. You can apply a simple logic to this. IF the holodomor was deliberate, why did it cease in by 1933/1934? Did Stalin die or stop ruling USSR? there is more to the history than just the narrative of the West.

Now, we need to be precise as to how we appropriate responsibility for the deaths. For instance, in a 1996 60 Minutes interview, Madeline Albright, the Secretary of State from 1997 to January 2001, and Ambassador to the UN from 1993 to 1997, during the Clinton administration, answered, “the price is worth it,” in response to the claim that 500,000 children have died due to the United States sanctions on Iraq, followed by the question, “Is the price worth it?”

So, who's responsible for the deaths of 500,000 Iraqi children if not Christians in America? If this was Russian operation and Russian boycott, I know that Putin would be blamed. No doubt. While after American bombings that destabilize Middle East, and that result in terrorism there, the blame for the outcome is always on someone else. Of course you can make non Americans look like evil villains.

Only if you stretch the term "Christian" to include a sort of convenient religious nominalism that encompasses behavior and thought that often goes directly against the teachings of Christ and his apostles.

Nobody follows Christianity or Christ's teachings. Even you don't follow them, because Christ was a communist. He preached against possessions (Luke 14:33) and taught that woe to the rich and blessed are the poor (Luke 6:20). Christianity is actually "Paulinism". Paul preached personal responsibility (if one should not work, then they should not eat, 2 These. 3:10). While Jesus was saying.. "give to everyone who asks of you", Luke 6:30.

Another feature of Paulinism, is dividing between state and personal responsibility. Romans 13 says that all authority is basically from God, including possible punishment by death (Romans 13:4 says the gov authority carries a sword for a reason, my paraphrase). This is the root of Christianity today. Christians who have authority, and have command of the military find no issues with using the military to support American interests, even as they worship and pray to Jesus, who "was a man of peace and not of sword".

But, and this is perhaps off topic, but I think it highlights the double thinking in Christians. Supposedly, Stalin killed 60million+ people, and that makes him evil. And yet, Christians worship a God who would torture trillions of people in Hell. For eternity. And this God will remain good and holy forever and ever. With these standards, it's no doubt there exists this duality of thought among Westerners.

Upvote 0

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
though, I think societies retaining at least some vestige of their Judeo-Christian heritage do not fall into wholesale slaughter and oppression of the citizenry, as has occurred in Communist countries.

I suggest you find an average African American living in the US, and ask them if they believe they are oppressed or slaughtered or otherwise targeted.

You see, there is another element of human psychology. Jordan Peterson, a Canadian Christian, has a video where he tells people that they too would have been a Nazi during WW2. Here is a 3 min video on this:

What happened in the Soviet Union was basically a civil war. Remember that in most cases, when a power change happens without a vote, via a revolution or rebellion, a civil war almost inevitably happens. Part of the population supports the rebels, another part doesn't support them. In the USSR, you basically had a revolution. Some people, especially the lower classes, were very happy, while others, the upper elites, were not happy. Some in the middle class had different opinions on the matter. And so, what does a decent person do in that case? It's a lose lose situation. And I blame external forces who meddled into Russian empire. Stalin was brutal, but he achieved something that has never done before. He transformed mostly agrarian nation into an industrial powerhouse. As part of the transition, there were pains. The people did not want to move from the villages to the cities where the job was. Force had to be used, sometimes deadly force. Unfortunate, but there was no alternative. Stalin was smart enough to foresee a coming war. Later, historians will say that Stalin's industrialization was responsible for the victory of the Soviet Union in the ww2. The same industrialization that resulted in some people going to the Gulag. Without industrialization, there would be no Soviet Union. Russian territories would become Nazi Germany's colonies similar to how America became a British colony, after the Native Americans were killed or otherwise pushed out from their lands.

Edit. Look at today's Ukraine. America sponsored a coup in 2013/2014 that ousted a legitimately elected Ukraine's leader, Pres Yanukovych. As a result, many people were happy, but some were not happy. Crimea decided to join Russia, while other parts of Eastern Ukraine rebelled against the new regime. Btw, another evidence the US was behind the coup, is the fact that America recognized the interim government, which came in power by force. Thousands of people lost their lives. They can't be blamed on the communism, so they are blamed on Russia. Now, Ukraine is a relatively small country. But imagine bringing order to it today. How would you do it? Part of the population wants to join the EU, others want closer ties to Russia. Before 2013, the people didn't have to make a choice. They were all part of one country with different ideas, having different representatives. But the outside forces came in and forced a hard choice. Now there is a war there that appears to have no end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello.
In the non-Christian non-Western world people love developed science, economics etc of the West. However, they see the Christian West as an epitome of evil on the global scene…. Wars, occupations, colonizations, robbing the nations, exploitation, slavery, opium trade, genocide, etc

There’s a disconnect between Christian teaching and actions of governments for many centuries up until today.

Why do you think there’s such stark contrast?

I wouldn’t say there’s a stark contrast but rather many imperfections. Most western governments do also uphold some of God’s commandments. So it’s not a complete absence of Godly influence.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
From your link:
“The Black Book of Communism,” a postmortem of communist atrocities compiled by European and American academics in 1997, concluded that the human cost of genocides, extrajudicial executions, deportations, and artificial famines stood at over 94 million."

This is fuzzy math, that includes WW2 deaths. This is an example of unfair accounting. Think about it. Did the Soviet Union have mass killers? Of course it did. But, if a mass killer killed 10 people and was himself executed, that's 11 more victims of Stalin. That is, I repeat, fuzzy math.

And Holodomor was not Stalin's. The issue for the young USSR was sanctions and gold blockade. It just so happened in the 1930s, that the capitalist west, only wanted grains but not gold from Stalin's USSR. You can apply a simple logic to this. IF the holodomor was deliberate, why did it cease in by 1933/1934? Did Stalin die or stop ruling USSR? there is more to the history than just the narrative of the West.

Now, we need to be precise as to how we appropriate responsibility for the deaths. For instance, in a 1996 60 Minutes interview, Madeline Albright, the Secretary of State from 1997 to January 2001, and Ambassador to the UN from 1993 to 1997, during the Clinton administration, answered, “the price is worth it,” in response to the claim that 500,000 children have died due to the United States sanctions on Iraq, followed by the question, “Is the price worth it?”

So, who's responsible for the deaths of 500,000 Iraqi children if not Christians in America? If this was Russian operation and Russian boycott, I know that Putin would be blamed. No doubt. While after American bombings that destabilize Middle East, and that result in terrorism there, the blame for the outcome is always on someone else. Of course you can make non Americans look like evil villains.

Again, as I have stated in other posts in this thread, the debate over actual numbers of dead under various political/ideological regimes misses my point about the human heart being fundamentally corrupt and reflecting that corruption in and through any society, communist, democratic or theocratic. This number-crunching, is, in my view, a red-herring - at least as far as my greater point is concerned.
There seems to be this idea you and others have that pointing out the evil in a Communist regime somehow gives a pass to the evil in capitalist/democratic ones. I've never stated nor implied such a thing.

Nobody follows Christianity or Christ's teachings. Even you don't follow them, because Christ was a communist.

You have no idea of the actual character of my living. Why, then, are you so quick to make confident assertions about it? You erode your statements when you are so rapid in making them from a basis of ignorance.

Christ was not a communist. I expect, though, you're relying on equivocation in making this statement, adjusting what is typically meant by "communist" to achieve your assertion.

He preached against possessions (Luke 14:33) and taught that woe to the rich and blessed are the poor (Luke 6:20).

No, in fact, Christ did not preach against having private, personal property, only of the making of exclusive, myopic, selfish investment in earthly possessions. As I expected, you have reduced Communism down to this one thing, in the process wildly over-simplifying both Christ's teachings and the nature of Communism.

Luke 14:33
33 So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.

You've adopted a very literal reading of this verse in service to your assertion above, but what about the following statement given by Christ:

Luke 14:26-27
26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.
27 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.

Reading in the highly literal way you have with Luke 14:33, one would have to conclude Jesus was promoting religious suicide in these verses. A Christian is not merely a communist, he's got to hate himself and execute himself on a cross if he wants to be a disciple of Jesus! Of course, this is not at all what Christ was really indicating. A hyper-literal interpretation of Christ's words, though, leads directly to such a silly interpretation - just as it has in your interpretation of verse 33.

Did Christ renounce all that he had? How about his disciples? Did he renounce them? Wouldn't "all" necessarily include them? How about his robe? Doesn't it fall under the universal category of "all," too? Did Jesus renounce his clothing, walking around naked, instead? Do we see the early disciples of Jesus renouncing all they had in emulation of Christ? No, the NT describes Christians owning various possessions, including houses. Lydia had house. So did Ananias (Acts 16). And Titius Justus (Acts 18:7). And Nymphus (Colossians 4:15). And so on.

The same sort of interpretive mishandling has occurred with your use of Luke 6:20. The verse does not offer a prescription, does it? No. It makes a statement/promise concerning a particular state-of-affairs but does not enjoin poverty as a way of life.

Christianity is actually "Paulinism". Paul preached personal responsibility (if one should not work, then they should not eat, 2 These. 3:10). While Jesus was saying.. "give to everyone who asks of you", Luke 6:30.

??? These are not necessarily mutually-exclusive statements. As a general rule, one should work in order to supply to themselves the means to buy food. But doing so does not prohibit charitable giving of the sort commanded by Christ. Paul himself was the object of charitable giving many times, as he acknowledged in various of his NT letters, urging such giving of his fellow Christians. (Romans 12:8; 2 Corinthians 8:1-15; 2 Corinthians 9:5-11, etc.)

Another feature of Paulinism, is dividing between state and personal responsibility. Romans 13 says that all authority is basically from God, including possible punishment by death (Romans 13:4 says the gov authority carries a sword for a reason, my paraphrase). This is the root of Christianity today. Christians who have authority, and have command of the military find no issues with using the military to support American interests, even as they worship and pray to Jesus, who "was a man of peace and not of sword".

This may be your view, but can you anchor it in concrete examples that clearly show the relationship between Paul's teachings and American military expansionism? I very much doubt it.

But, and this is perhaps off topic, but I think it highlights the double thinking in Christians. Supposedly, Stalin killed 60million+ people, and that makes him evil. And yet, Christians worship a God who would torture trillions of people in Hell. For eternity. And this God will remain good and holy forever and ever. With these standards, it's no doubt there exists this duality of thought among Westerners.

This, obviously, rests upon a glaring category error. People may be murderers, genocidal killers of one another, but God, as the Creator and Sustainer of all life, has a unique corresponding prerogative to be the Taker of life, as well. No human stands in this category with God. When God ends a person's temporal existence, then, He isn't ever guilty of murder; He merely exercises His divine prerogative as Creator and Sovereign over all things.

The Bible never says God tortures people in hell. They suffer torment, yes, but one can be deeply tormented without ever being tortured by another. In any case, as with human law, the severity of the punishment generally acknowledges the severity of the crime. So, too, with God. Hell indicates to us, not God's cruel intemperance, but the full awfulness of our sinful rebellion toward Him. Hell is so horrendous because our sin is so horrendous.

"But our sin is merely temporal, finite!" you might retort. "It's unfair to punish such evil forever!" To which I reply simply that our sin is not finite insofar as it is always ultimately against God Himself, in defiance of the infinite, holy Maker of Everything.

Upvote 0