Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I received my primary ballot in the mail last week. Where is the option to be an independent voter these days? In Washington State, this article describes our primary voting process.

Secretary of State shares complaints from voters who don’t want to publicly pick a party

In short, for those who don't want to click on the link, on the back of our ballots, we have to choose to declare whether we are a Republican or a Democrat. No option for independent.

Do other states have to declare like this?

According to the news broadcast I saw, this information becomes public information and is also passed on to the political party you choose, presumably for fundraising solicitations and such.

Thoughts?

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The powers that be don't want members of the opposing camp voting to decide who a specific party will nominate. For example, a republican could try to nominate a lessor favored candidate, like Biden for example, in turn giving Trump an advantage. Independents don't get to vote in primaries.But then you don't get fund raising phone calls and junk mail either.

In the not so distant past Rush Limbaugh was calling for republications to switch party affiliation just to be able to vote in the democrat primary. He wanted them to vote for a specific candidate since he considered Her the most beatable. It looks like they still may be at it: https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article239964558.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I received my primary ballot in the mail last week. Where is the option to be an independent voter these days? In Washington State, this article describes our primary voting process.

Secretary of State shares complaints from voters who don’t want to publicly pick a party

In short, for those who don't want to click on the link, on the back of our ballots, we have to choose to declare whether we are a Republican or a Democrat. No option for independent.

According to the news broadcast I saw, this information becomes public information and is also passed on to the political party you choose, presumably for fundraising solicitations and such.

Thoughts?

In NY State you can register to vote as anything you like including as an Independent but you cannot vote in the primary of any political party you do not belong to. I therefore do not get to vote in a primary as I am registered as an Independent.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In NY State you can register to vote as anything you like including as an Independent but you cannot vote in the primary of any political party you do not belong to. I therefore do not get to vote in a primary as I am registered as an Independent.
Not that I would, but I don't think we even have the option to register as an independent. I like the option we've had in years past as being "unaffiliated".

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not that I would, but I don't think we even have the option to register as an independent. I like the option we've had in years past as being "unaffiliated".

IMO one should only register as a voter and a party affiliation ought not be asked of one.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The powers that be don't want members of the opposing camp voting to decide who a specific party will nominate. For example, a republican could try to nominate a lessor favored candidate, like Biden for example, in turn giving Trump an advantage. Independents don't get to vote in primaries.But then you don't get fund raising phone calls and junk mail either.

In the not so distant past Rush Limbaugh was calling for republications to switch party affiliation just to be able to vote in the democrat primary. He wanted them to vote for a specific candidate since he considered Her the most beatable. It looks like they still may be at it: https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article239964558.html
I understand the intent, but what if I liked a primary candidate of one party who does not end up being the nominee? Theoretically, I cannot vote for any other party candidate. It says "any party", so I could not vote for a Green, Libertarian, or other Independent party candidate if my preferred D or R candidate didn't make the final cut.

For example, if I were to like Bloomberg and vote for him in the primary, but Sanders ends up the nominee. And if Bloomberg decides to run as an Independent, I couldn't vote for him.

I don't like this system.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IMO one should only register as a voter and a party affiliation ought not be asked of one.
Right. If I want to declare I'm a Republican or Democrat, then I can register as one if I like. I shouldn't be forced to declare for my vote to count. Otherwise, it's none of their business.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is a state by state thing. I am registered as unaffiliated in my state. This year is the first presidential primary where those who are not registered with the D or R parties can vote. We receive both party ballots and can choose only one to send in.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Since we do not have a Presidential system in the UK there is no need to associate oneself with a specific party. The idea strikes me as a little odd, though I understand the need. I suspect, were an attempt made to introduce such a form of registration in the UK, there would be widespread objections from members of all parties large and small. The attitude would be "Mind your own business", expressed more vigorously.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is a state by state thing. I am registered as unaffiliated in my state. This year is the first presidential primary where those who are not registered with the D or R parties can vote. We receive both party ballots and can choose only one to send in.

Why is it that these parties have been allowed to dominate the process?

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is the primary, not the general election. If you want to vote for one of the many Democratic presidential candidates you will have to declare Democrat. I am sure the Republicans would not like Democrats writing in someone other than Trump, and nor would the Democrats like a Republican voting in their primary.

It is an inter party thing, one they dont have to open up to outside the party. I know for a fact you dont declare in the general election. The Primary is the exception.

And by the way, this is the first year the primary is counting for the Democrats in the state of Washington. Last time is was by caucus.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is the primary, not the general election. If you want to vote for one of the many Democratic presidential candidates you will have to declare Democrat. I am sure the Republicans would not like Democrats writing in someone other than Trump, and nor would the Democrats like a Republican voting in their primary.

It is an inter party thing, one they dont have to open up to outside the party. I know for a fact you dont declare in the general election. The Primary is the exception.

And by the way, this is the first year the primary is counting for the Democrats in the state of Washington. Last time is was by caucus.

Do the political parties fund these primaries? If not why not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do the political parties fund these primaries? If not why not?
The state does, and under the law only major parties get on the primary presidential ballot. A major party is a party that ran candidates for president and vice president and got more than 5 percent of the vote in the last election.

Also want to add, this is like two elections for the two major parties. And they decided that declaring the party on the envelope was the best way to indicate party before looking at the ballot.

Not agreeing this is a good system.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
I'm in Washington State too. I don't want to sign up as a Democrat or Republican. I'm an independent middle-of-the-road type.

I'm tempted to sign up as Democrat and vote for Bloomberg or Klobuchar, just because I don't ever want to vote for the Trump Party. It just doesn't sit right with me, though, and the Republicans might make a comeback some day.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Thoughts?
In New Hampshire, it is to prevent independents voting in both the Democratic and the Republican primaries (you can choose to do neither). Independents can choose which to vote in, then immediately revert to independent status after voting. Obviously, anyone of any party can vote for whoever hey wish in the general elections, but the primaries are for party members to vote for their candidate of choice, so it does make sense to have to pick one (or abstain from voting in the primary).

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I live in Pennsylvania which has its primary on April 28, it is usually a done deal by the time I get my voice heard.

....another reason to re-do the entire primary system. Why should the early states determine who is viable?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you are in Washington state it is considered a "Mixed" primary. That is you can pick your party at the time of voting, but it is public. Here is a good list of state primary dates and types and what all the different terms mean. It is pretty confusing and probably not the best approach. It's like it was put together by a lot of independent committees, that didn't talk with each-other. Now that I think about it, that is probably exactly how it has come about!

Upvote 0