Huntsville
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I explained in detail about Acts 2:38 as i understand.

and if you say

"well, they did it in Acts, so I better do it"then you have to do animal sacrifices, keep the Mosaic law zealously, the customs of the Jews, circumcision, etc etc.

do you do that, ? well Peter and the other Jews did for almost the entire book of Acts. I would guess right until the destruction of the temple in 70 Ad.

Always ask, who is Peter talking to in Acts 2, and why were the jews still going to the temple and under the Old Covenant for a while, a.

Also ask why was Johns water baptism program for israel and how long was that old covenant that John was under to last for?
I'm just going to keep following the whole Bible. My point is my opinion or yours isn't needed. I'll just let people keep reading these if they don't agree. Acts 2:37-41, Romans 6:3-6, Matthew 28:18-20, Mark 16:16, Acts 22:16, 1 Peter 3:21-22, Galatians 3:26-27, Colossians 2:11-12, Titus 3:5, John 3:5, Matthew 3:13-17 and Hebrews 10:22.

I always agree to look at context. Who Peter was talking to does not negate the command. If you want to try that tactic I would ask you who Paul was talking to in Romans 10:9-13 (of which I still agree with by the way). The answer is Christians who had been baptized (Romans 6:3-4), to wash away their sins (Acts 22:16) and since they had been baptized by water (Acts 8:36) into Christ Jesus (Romans 6:3) they knew that there was no condemnation for them because they were in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1). What a beautiful truth!

Upvote 0

manoffiji

Dec 31, 2017
Huntsville
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I explained in detail about Acts 2:38 as i understand.

and if you say

"well, they did it in Acts, so I better do it"then you have to do animal sacrifices, keep the Mosaic law zealously, the customs of the Jews, circumcision, etc etc.

do you do that, ? well Peter and the other Jews did for almost the entire book of Acts. I would guess right until the destruction of the temple in 70 Ad.

Always ask, who is Peter talking to in Acts 2, and why were the jews still going to the temple and under the Old Covenant for a while, a.

Also ask why was Johns water baptism program for israel and how long was that old covenant that John was under to last for?
I also thought it might be important to point out that since you choose not to believe in the command of Acts 2:37-38 because you think it applies to Jews only that you might also want to read verse 39. I'll go ahead and just copy and paste. "The promise is for you and your children and for ALL who are far off—for ALL whom the Lord our God will call." Good thing that Peter clarified for us huh? I'm glad that I can repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of my sins and then receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, not just the Jews. What a blessing!

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yep, I agree with those verses, and then I follow the rest as well. Acts 2:37-41, Romans 6:3-6, Matthew 28:18-20, Mark 16:16, Acts 22:16, 1 Peter 3:21-22, Galatians 3:26-27, Colossians 2:11-12, Titus 3:5, John 3:5, Matthew 3:13-17 and Hebrews 10:22.
Interestingly none of those verses say the word "water". It is on your part to prove that water baptism for salvation was meant. Especially that John 3:5 is water baptism for salvation.

Interestingly, we read in the verses i gave about faith and belief in jesus and His blood for the remission of sins. Because he had finished the work and that is the only way remission could truly come for sin.

When we read of John the baptist and his water baptism we read.

"4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins."(Mark 1:4 KJV)

So we see that his water baptism was for the remission of sins. But Christ had not died yet and shed His blood so no the person would not have a purged conscience from sin yet and still have to do the animal sacrifices as we read in hebrews 8-10 etc.

Water baptism of John was for repentance and to manifest jesus to Israel. All the apostles also went about doing this. This was Israels OT program and Peter and others still followed this for a time.

If we say that Johns water baptism was for the remission of sins without Jesus shed blood in time, then what does that mean?

In a sense if those who repented and looked for Gods righteousness to save them, they would have their sins forgiven. But the reality of that full salvation would come on the cross with jesus dying and shedding his blood. John pointed to jesus and said to behold the lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world.

We can also say that the animal sacrifices of the OT were "for sin" even though the blood of animals was not what saved them. But it pointed to the work of Jesus Christ who would die for the sin of the world.

There is more to say about Johns water baptism, maybe later.

But ember that John said he must decrease and this would mean his whole ministry.

and jesus told them about Johns water baptism and said

"For John truly baptized [past tense and is finished] with water; but ye shall be [future tense and is to come] baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence."( Acts 1:5 KJV)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I also thought it might be important to point out that since you choose not to believe in the command of Acts 2:37-38 because you think it applies to Jews only that you might also want to read verse 39. I'll go ahead and just copy and paste. "The promise is for you and your children and for ALL who are far off—for ALL whom the Lord our God will call." Good thing that Peter clarified for us huh? I'm glad that I can repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of my sins and then receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, not just the Jews. What a blessing!
I didn't say salvation was only for the Jews and Peter was talking to Israel, and they also had the promise and to all their descendants. But the verse does not mean what you say it does. I think I already expounded on it.

and Peter said clearly in the text

"But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you..."

and who are their (the Jewish) children?

also on Peter would understand more about the saving baptism ( 1 peter 3:21) which is not water or not the putting away of the filth of the flesh.

Also Peter did not go to the gentiles for a long time he had to have a vision to do so. In His mind he was going to the Jews and speaking to them.

We read that peter had the gospel of the circumcision and paul had the gospel of the uncircumcision in Galatians 2.

Upvote 0

manoffiji

Dec 31, 2017
Huntsville
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say salvation was only for the Jews and Peter was talking to Israel, and they also had the promise and to all their descendants. But the verse does not mean what you say it does. I think I already expounded on it.

and Peter said clearly in the text

"But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you..."

and who are their (the Jewish) children?

also on Peter would understand more about the saving baptism ( 1 peter 3:21) which is not water or not the putting away of the filth of the flesh.

Also Peter did not go to the gentiles for a long time he had to have a vision to do so. In His mind he was going to the Jews and speaking to them.

We read that peter had the gospel of the circumcision and paul had the gospel of the uncircumcision in Galatians 2.
Sigh. 1 Peter 3:21 specifically mentions water and then says baptism saves you. Your whole argument is that baptism in my verses has nothing to do with water. A simple word study in Greek would show you that immersion refers to water.

For those who want to learn the truth about New Testament baptism being in water and not referring to spirit you can go here and read this wonderful and clear article. It refutes everything this gentleman is trying to say:

New Testament Baptism: In Water or the Spirit?

You still haven't told me why I'm lost for being baptized into water. If I'm a saved Christian, and you believe you're a saved Christian, are you not happy for me? I know that you will not answer this again and I'm pretty sure you won't read the article as I'm pretty sure you didn't want to pay attention to mine. Pray this article helps you!

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A simple word study in Greek would show you that immersion refers to water.
The word baptism, does not always refer to water baptism. This is clearly seen in scripture. For example Jesus said,

"38 But Jesus said unto them, Ye know not what ye ask: can ye drink of the cup that I drink of? and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? 39 And they said unto him, We can. And Jesus said unto them, Ye shall indeed drink of the cup that I drink of; and with the baptism that I am baptized withal shall ye be baptized:"[future tense] (Mark 10:38,39 KJV)

Here we see that Jesus speaks to them of another baptism besides the water baptism . They had already had water baptism of John.

also we read

Matthew 3:11
"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:"

This is future baptism ( Immersion) not into water..

Clearly we can see that baptism ( immersion) is not always into water.

Also when Paul says

"3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?"(Romans 6:3 KJV)

and

"27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ."( Galatians 3:27)

When a person is baptized immersed) into Jesus Christ or into Christ, they are not immersed into water, but actually into Jesus Christ. This is a spiritual immersion into him in the spirit at new birth. The element one is being baptized into defines the baptism spoken of.

To be baptized into Christ is to put on Christ, not to "put on water". No man puts on Christ by dunking under water.

Jesus said
" Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me."(John 15:4 KJV)

John 14:23
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him."

"5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?"(2 Cor 13:5 KJV)

also we read

"And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;"(2 Cor 10:2 KJV)

Baptized unto Moses, does not say baptized unto water. None had Johns water baptism for repentance.

Upvote 0