Huntsville
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe the water has some magical power that actually saves you or does God save you?
God saves you :) He's pretty magical though isn't he? Acts 22:16 Just want people to see that God wants us to wash our sins away!

Upvote 0

manoffiji

Dec 31, 2017
Huntsville
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Water symbolizes the cleansing of sin, it doesn't cleanse sin.
It symbolizes a spiritual transformation, being born again from above.
Getting water baptized is an act of obedience, a response and pledge to God for a clear conscience
Scripture states that it is symbolic to represent Jesus' death and resurrection.
The belief in Jesus death and resurrection is what saves you. We are justified by faith through grace and this is not of ourselves.

What of the many people on their death bed who reach out for Christ for forgiveness as the man did next to Christ? They are water baptized.
What you are saying is that all those people never got saved because -- oops there was no water around at the time.

It's apparent that you will stick to your belief no matter how many of us try to convince you otherwise.
You didn't read my article. And yes, I will stick to my belief that when the Bible says to do something for the forgiveness of my sins, you better believe I'm going to obey! I'm not judging anyone, only trying my best to open eyes. Acts 22:16. Thanks!

Upvote 0

manoffiji

Dec 31, 2017
Huntsville
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, and I am glad you are open to consider what is said. I may have to deal with one or two verses at a time. There is lots to say.

in 1 Cor 15;1-4 Paul defines the saving gospel. if you notice clearly there is no water baptism, or circumcision, or sabbaths or the Lord's supper added to the gospel for salvation.

This is the what Paul preached and they believed but some heard the gospel by faith believed and received the spirit, then they tried to add to the word heard by faith works of the law and to be made perfect by the flesh. This was an error. Paul said

and he said in Galatians 3

"2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? 4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain. 5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?"(Galatians 3:2-5 KJV)

So they "heard" and believed and rec lived the spirit. It was not any works they could do, or any ordinances or diverse washings or carnal ordinances. But they heard believed and were saved. paul says this much in 1 Cor 15:1,2 KJV)

"
Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain." Then Paul goes on to explain what he preached the very gospel.

as far as your other verses lets look at them and the context of when they were said and in what understanding.This is the main focus

" 37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost...."(Acts 2:37,38 KJV)

The first thing to be aware of is that Peter was still going to the temple and was still somewhat under the law and the Old Covenant was slowly fading away. It had not come to their understanding yet some of the freedoms that were part of the new covenant.

Also we read that peter was speaking specifically to the Jewish nation. Not the gentiles yet. He said

"Ye men of Judaea, and all
ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you,...Ye men of Israel,...Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ."(Acts 2:14, 22, 36 KJV)

Peter had the "gospel of the circumcision" or primarily to the Jews who were coming out of the old into the new covenant and from under the law and diverse washings etc. and Paul had the "gospel of the uncircumcision" or primarily to the Gentiles who were not coming out of the law and old covenant and so did not have the same issues.

Then Peter said for them to "repent
"and be baptized" every one of them "in the name of Jesus Christ" for the remission of sins.

The expression "for" the remission of sins. The word "for" in Greek can mean, "to or into", so to or into the remission of sins can be the understanding so it could read that when they have faith and are immersed into Jesus Christ because of this or into this they have remission of sins.

But to me there is a more important word. Peter said "be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ". The expression "In the name of or into the name of Jesus Christ" is to be immersed into his character and life and authority in our lives. The word "name" here means character or authority).

Paul said another place

" Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?"(Romans 6:3 KJV)

This being immersed "into Jesus Christ" is far more than a outward washing with water. This expression "in the name of Jesus Christ is also not a mere formula. Paul said

"17 And
whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him."(Colossians 3:17 KJV)

This expression "In the name of Jesus Christ" does not mean that every time you say a word or do an action you have to say the phrase "in the name of Jesus Christ".No that would be absurd. Imagine every time we speak we say. "Hello" in the name of Jesus Christ", my "in the name of Jesus Christ", name "In the name of Jesus Christ" is "in the name of Jesus Christ"...obviously that is not the meaning. It is not a formal but a reality in the character life power and authority of Jesus Christ in us. To be immersed (baptized) into the name is to be in the character of Jesus Christ and to be in him and he in you.

Jesus said that when he was in the world he "manifested" the Fathers "name" (John 17:6 KJV) and he "kept them" in His "name" (John 17:12 KJV). This means he kept them in the character life and power of the Father and His word.

"10 The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe."( Proverbs 18:10 KJV)

How do the righteous run into a name? So when Peter said to be baptized ( immersed into) the name of Jesus Christ.He had the right words by the Spirit, even if he was still following Johns water baptism. God allowed the diverse washings and carnal ordinances for a time of reformation to the Jews. But Jesus told them right in Acts 1 that John baptized with water, but thy would be baptized with the Holy Ghost. When Peter was told to go to the Gentiles (Cornelius) he at first was reluctant, and was still under the law and dietary laws and Halakah law. He saw that the Gentiles can come in and be saved and have the Holy Ghost given, without any water baptism. Yet he still water baptized them. Why did he do this. It would seen he did it for two possible reasons.

1, He was following Johns water baptism which was very close to them at that time and even though Johns water baptism was for Israels program, they still followed that and many other aspects of the law for a time.

2 He was following the Halakah law for the Gentile converts which h required under their customs that the Gentile convert be fully submerged in water and circumcised. We see the Jewish believers wanting this second aspect for gentiles in Acts 15:1 etc.

But it seems that Peter was following Johns water baptism still because as jesus told them in Acts 1 that Johns water baptism was past and to be replace ed by the Baptism with the Holy Ghost. Jesus reminded Peter here again, many years after the first time he said it of the same words. I can imagine peter is questioning and saying "who can forbid water?" and as they water baptized the Gentiles who were already saved and had the Spirit Peter heard these words,

"15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. 16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. 17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?"( Acts 11:15-17 KJV)

It seems as if Peter was trying to make the gentiles follow the Jewish program but God was showing him otherwise. We see this when Paul accused Peter of such in Galatians and said,

"14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews? 15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,"(Galatians 2:14,15 KJV)

So when Peter says to "be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ" he is speaking of a deep reality of being
immersed into him and He in them. "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body" (1 Cor 12;13 KJV). That body is the body of Christ. This one baptism that ALL must have, is by the Spirit. It is not a water baptism. But they did practice many ordinances of the law for a time. However it would not make sense to bring the Gentiles under the law and the Old Covenant that was fading away and ready to vanish, then to bring them out of it.

I believe God was showing Peter that the Gentiles do not need to come under the law as they still were. Paul even said he was the apostle to the gentiles and he said that Christ sent him not to baptism , but to preach the gospel". This may have been because he was going to Gentiles and it did not make sense to bring them under Israels program of the Old Testament. Jesus aid he had many tins to say and to judge of them, but at that time they were not able to bear it. He said the Holy Ghost would guide them into all truth. This took time. They were nursed up in the law and customs for so long, that the time of reformation was slow going.

Also we read the expression "for the remission of sins". The remiss of sins is truly when believers are in Christ and through faith believe the gospel. And we read

Revelation 1:5
"And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,"

we also read

Hebrews 9:22
"And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission."

So to say that "remission of sins" does not come through water baptism. Peters words cannot mean that. If a person truly repents and believes in Jesus Christ who died for their sins and was buried and rose again, they will be immersed into Jesus Christ and have remission of sins through faith in His blood. As we read.

Romans 3:25
"Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;"

Matthew 26:28
"For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."

Peter may have had Johns water baptism in mind when he said his words in Acts 2, for we read of Johns water baptism;

Mark 1:4
"John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins."

Now we know that without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins.So when John was preaching repentance, he was preparing men to have a right heart to trust in God's righteousness and the shed blood for their sins. John also said of Jesus.

John 1:29
"The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world"

This would be accomplished at his death on the cross and shed blood as we saw already Jesus said ""For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.".

Only when Jesus shed his blood on the cross could remission of sins truly be known. Peter came to know this later in 1 Peter 3:21 when he said the saving baptism is not the putting away of the filth of the flesh (or as if to say it is not an outward washing with water). But the saving baptism is the answer of a good conscience by the resurrection of Jesus Christ. This expression "the answer of a good conscience", is telling. The word conscience seems to imply with knowledge and they did not have such knowledge. It means "co-perception". The knowledge of how they can be clean was not given yet., They had to have a reminder of their sins (Hebrews 10:3 KJV) until it was finished. The conscience cannot be clean by outward ordinances and diverse washings as we read

"9 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; 10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation."(Hebrews 9:9,10 KJV)

So no outward washing or ordinance can make the conscience perfect. It is only by faith in the blood of Jesus Christ death for sin and his resurrection as we read

"14 How much more shall
the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?"Hebrews 9:14 KJV)

So when Peter says

"21 The like figure whereunto even
baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer [inquiry] of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:"

He is saying that in the Ot the conscience would inquire how to be perfect and clean and purged, but no understanding was fully given, for Christ had not come yet and the way into the holiest was not known yet.But when Christ came and shed his blood we now have our conscience clean and purged from dead works. This is because we have a full assurance of hope believing in the finished work of Jesus Christ and we are also risen with him . By His resurrection God confirmed him as scripture says.

Acts 17:31
"Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, inthat he hath raised him from the dead."

So to sum it up. Peter had the right words but was still speaking only to Israel and he was under the law. He added Johns water baptism to his message all of which they may have done before Jesus died and rose again when they baptized other Jews as John did. But Jesus told them Johns water baptism program was ended but they did not understand for a while. Peter eventually came to understand the saving baptism into Christ however and wrote it in 1 Peter 3:21.
I'm sorry that you are so vehemently against water baptism. Let's say there are four things that are mentioned in the Bible that are requirements for our salvation: Belief, repentance, faith, and baptism. I've chosen to commit to all of them for the cleansing of my sins. If I'm right about all four, I'm saved. If I'm wrong about baptism, I'm still saved. Since you refuse to believe in water baptism having anything to do with your salvation, if you're right about the first three requirements, then you're saved. If you're wrong, then you've condemned yourself. Maybe you're right, but I certainly am going to do everything I can to go to heaven, including this 'silly' thing called baptism :) Praying for you!

Upvote 0

manoffiji

Dec 31, 2017
Huntsville
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about the guy who was crucified next to Christ? He believed when he was hanging on a cross. Don't remember him coming down to get baptized before Jesus said "Today you will be with me in paradise"

39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.
Just like many, you didn't read my article. You read the headline and stopped there. I address this argument. Acts 22:16. Thanks!

Upvote 0

manoffiji

Dec 31, 2017
Huntsville
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Baptism is not salvific, otherwise, someone repenting on their deathbed wouldn't be able to be saved apart from their own works (Ephesians 2:8-9). However everyone filled with the Holy Ghost, will get baptized as soon as possible! It is a very important step of obedience and Baptism in water is not just symbolic (that's a lie, it's a VERY IMPORTANT part of our walk of faith)...I have seen the POWER that can come out of full immersion water baptism. 1 Peter 3:21

Get Baptized!!! :)
1 Peter 3:21 says that baptism saves you twice so yes it is a part of salvation. I address Eph 2:8-9 in my article of which I don't believe you read. Thanks!

• Friendly
Reactions: Victor E.
Upvote 0

manoffiji

Dec 31, 2017
Huntsville
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just a curious question to all of you who are so opposed to the idea that baptism must be part of your salvation. If I go about teaching the gospel that you need to be baptized for the forgiveness of sins like it says in many scriptures, why are you so offended and feel you need to express yourself in the first place? I'm also teaching the whole of the New Covenant commands of discipleship, belief, repentance, faith and so on. If you think baptism for forgiveness of sins is silly, then why do you care to try and get people not to do it? In your opinion, I'm adding to the requirements, which doesn't condemn anyone since we're just doing what Acts 2:38 tells us to do. Thank you all for the great conversation and rejuvenating my belief in the washing of sins through baptism! Acts 22:16

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just a curious question to all of you who are so opposed to the idea that baptism must be part of your salvation. If I go about teaching the gospel that you need to be baptized for the forgiveness of sins like it says in many scriptures, why are you so offended and feel you need to express yourself in the first place? I'm also teaching the whole of the New Covenant commands of discipleship, belief, repentance, faith and so on. If you think baptism for forgiveness of sins is silly, then why do you care to try and get people not to do it? In your opinion, I'm adding to the requirements, which doesn't condemn anyone since we're just doing what Acts 2:38 tells us to do. Thank you all for the great conversation and rejuvenating my belief in the washing of sins through baptism! Acts 22:16
I lost count of how many people addressing your post disagreed with you.
John the Baptist was really a prophet still under the Old Covenant, still under the Law, pre - death and Resurrection. He baptized with water, but Jesus baptized with the Holy Spirit. Baptized means to be emmerced into. We are emmerced INTO THE NAME IF THE FATHER AND OF THE SON AND OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. IT IS ALL SPIRITUAL. Our act of obedience is a demonstration of our belief that is symbolic of our sins being washed. The water doesn't wash sins, Jesus does with His Blood, SPIRITUALLY.

Last edited:
Reactions: iwbswiaihl2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

manoffiji

Dec 31, 2017
Huntsville
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I lost count of how many people addressing your post disagreed with you. There's something in Proverbs about a prideful man will not listen to seven men giving wise counsel.
John the Baptist was really a prophet still under the Old Covenant, still under the Law, pre - death and Resurrection. He baptized with water, but Jesus baptized with the Holy Spirit. Baptized means to be emmerced into. We are emmerced INTO THE NAME IF THE FATHER AND OF THE SON AND OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. IT IS ALL SPIRITUAL. Our act of obedience is a demonstration of our belief that is symbolic of our sins being washed. The water doesn't wash sins, Jesus does with His Blood, SPIRITUALLY.
Acts 22:16! Quantity does not beat quality sir. Just because the masses believe something does not make it right. Also, you're still arguing with me and I'm still confused why you care. Am I lost because I was baptized for the forgiveness of my sins and received the Holy Spirit when doing so? Acts 2:37-38. Always perplexes me why you care to argue, if I'm not lost. My former "faith-only" wife who was raised around people like yourself said that it's because you'd rather be right than care if I'm saved. If I'm lost then please tell me why following Acts 2:38 (which is talking about a water baptism, not just a spiritual baptism unlike what you said) is leading me to hell. Otherwise, I will always be curious as why you care to argue at all, if not just to be right rather than care about whether I'm saved. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟32,887.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why r u telling us how why u r right and then u ask why someone else is arguing and why they care? Which begs the question why did u start the post if you wonder why someone would answer? It seems like u just wanted to get your views out so that we could learn the right answer about baptism:scratch: at least u have learned one thing, that everyone didnt believe u were right.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Last time, Acts 2:38 says to repent (turn to God and ask for forgiveness), be baptized in the name of Jesus, (meaning believe in Jesus, be emmerced in Jesus). This is why we say we are in Christ, baptized by His Spirit. No one is saying not to be water baptized, it's like when we confess with our mouth or take communion, these rituals confirm our faith. Again, many people are saved without these rituals, we are saved by grace through faith and this is not of ourselves.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟164,105.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I certainly am going to do everything I can to go to heaven,

thats just the issue, without Jesus we can do nothing. It is not by works of righteousness which we have done.We are saved by grace through faith and not of ourselves, not of works lest any man should boast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Focus on spiritual baptism. 1 Corinthians 12:13:

13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit....1 Cor. (Nasb)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 Peter 3:21 says that baptism saves you twice so yes it is a part of salvation. I address Eph 2:8-9 in my article of which I don't believe you read. Thanks!

Right, a part of salvation...I'm in agreement with that, I was addressing the small outlier that tends to propagate a demonic fear toward new believers (that if you die without water baptism, and you had no way to get water baptized after repentance, you would go to hell...which is not true). You may be right about me missing your part on Eph. 2:8-9). Thanks!

Upvote 0

manoffiji

Dec 31, 2017
Huntsville
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last time, Acts 2:38 says to repent (turn to God and ask for forgiveness), be baptized in the name of Jesus, (meaning believe in Jesus, be emmerced in Jesus). This is why we say we are in Christ, baptized by His Spirit. No one is saying not to be water baptized, it's like when we confess with our mouth or take communion, these rituals confirm our faith. Again, many people are saved without these rituals, we are saved by grace through faith and this is not of ourselves.
They were baptized with water in Acts 2:37-41. So I do it for the forgiveness of my sins, you do not, or so you seem to explain. If I'm wrong then I'm still saved and am just misguided in your opinion (I'm not misguided because I'm doing exactly what the Bible says, not my interpretation of what I think it should say like in your case) but if you're wrong then you condemn yourself. But if you're COMPLETLY sure that you're saved by only a spirit baptism unlike every baptism in Acts, then why are you arguing still if I'm saved? Shouldn't you be glad for me, even if you think I'm misguided?

Upvote 0

manoffiji

Dec 31, 2017
Huntsville
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thats just the issue, without Jesus we can do nothing. It os not by works of righteousness which we have done.We are saved by grace through faith and not of ourselves, not of works lest any man should boast.
If I'm still saved even though you think I'm misguided by water baptism (unlike every baptism in Acts), shouldn't you be happy for me? I've done everything you've done, you just chose to nix water baptism from your belief in it having to do with your salvation. If you're CERTAIN you're saved, then why argue with me at all?

Upvote 0

manoffiji

Dec 31, 2017
Huntsville
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Focus on spiritual baptism. 1 Corinthians 12:13:

13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit....1 Cor. (Nasb)
Acts 8:36. I'll let you read it for yourself. There's a little water involved though so just beware :)

Upvote 0

manoffiji

Dec 31, 2017
Huntsville
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right, a part of salvation...I'm in agreement with that, I was addressing the small outlier that tends to propagate a demonic fear toward new believers (that if you die without water baptism, and you had no way to get water baptized after repentance, you would go to hell...which is not true). You may be right about me missing your part on Eph. 2:8-9). Thanks!
I guess I misunderstood that you believe in water baptism being essential to salvation and I apologize. I address in my article the fact that God knows each person's situation and will judge them accordingly, but my focus is on the person who can read simple scriptures, and simply follow it, not the person on the death bed. I don't judge any dead person, even if they only repented on their death bed and weren't baptized. I am only concerned about the individual who chooses to turn their head away from water baptism based on a preset bias, especially when the Bible is all the guidance we need to live a happy and saved life! Thanks!

• Friendly
Reactions: Victor E.
Upvote 0