Why are there so many atheists on a Christian site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Everyone who willingly got distanciated from Christ is deluded and fell on sin and on pride, the worst sin of them all. I don't say I'm superior for believing.

You don't have to SAY it specifically when it is implied by your statements of belief.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I must say that the atheists in this thread are the kindest atheists that I've ever met, so thank you! :)

Could be, but I'm less impressed by the atheists who pretend to be Christian (if very atypical ones) or a "seeker" in order to post in a range of CF forums that are not open to atheists. This certainly doesn't indicate that they are just interested in discussing ideas, etc., or that they are very content in their atheism.

Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟47,642.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to think they're here to taste the manna from heaven, rather than foist the poison of the earth. But experience reading posts sets me wondering at times. Either way, sooner or later, a couple of them will come to Christ. If even one ever does, has or will, then it is all worth it.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I believe that too, in their hearts they want to believe, even if their mind is still poisoned by atheism and secularism they try to recover and meet God.

You would be mistaken.

Well, okay, maybe...

believe_800.jpg

Seriously, though, no. Just no. That's not my motivation at all.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Because discussions with people who agree with you are boring.

Plus, you never really understand why you believe what you believe if it is never challenged and you don't have to defend it from anything. This site has helped me understand myself and my beliefs better and also the varied beliefs of others, both theist and non-theist. There's several regulars on here (both Christian and non-Christian) that I really look forward to seeing their replies to threads, and so I've really come to like the community here. I'm sure there's more reasons why I keep coming back but those are the few I could come up with on the spot.

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
This site has helped me understand myself and my beliefs better and also the varied beliefs of others, both theist and non-theist.

That's a big reason for me as well.

There's several regulars on here (both Christian and non-Christian) that I really look forward to seeing their replies to threads, and so I've really come to like the community here.

And this as well. The number of regulars after the shutdown of GA several years back is sadly very small, but the few survivors make it worth it.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'd like to think they're here to taste the manna from heaven, rather than foist the poison of the earth. But experience reading posts sets me wondering at times. Either way, sooner or later, a couple of them will come to Christ. If even one ever does, has or will, then it is all worth it.

I know of a few who left Christianity since joining this site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

GrimKingGrim

The Thin Dead Line of sanity
Apr 13, 2015
Isle of Who?
✟10,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Grim, "better" and "harder" aren't synonomous. If we don't have the basic fundamental facts straight then nothing that follows will be valid.

The harder questions are the better questions. I'm not talking about trick questions, I mean hard questions that required serious thought. So yes, they were better.

And my fundamental facts of reality is what I used when I paired it with the bible. When the "facts" weren't adding up with reality I tossed my religion away. I know reality just can't lie, but a book (and religion) certainly can.

Upvote 0

True Scotsman

Objectivist
Jul 26, 2014
✟16,557.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I mean, not that I want them gone, but it just seems strange to me that so many atheists would choose to spend their time and eergy on a site that is antithetical to their worldview. The interesting thing to me is that they don't seem to be here to proselytize, which would make sense to me. I assume that they, or many of them anyway, feela sense of community here if they've been here for a while. So, if not to show the poor theist the freedom of atheism, what is the draw?

Mostly for the entertainment value. You people say the darndest things. Like "when we get to heaven, will we get to visit fictional universes?".

Also, it can get boring reading posts of those who think like you do all the time.

Also to read every one of Eudaimonist's posts.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I mean, not that I want them gone, but it just seems strange to me that so many atheists would choose to spend their time and eergy on a site that is antithetical to their worldview. The interesting thing to me is that they don't seem to be here to proselytize, which would make sense to me. I assume that they, or many of them anyway, feela sense of community here if they've been here for a while. So, if not to show the poor theist the freedom of atheism, what is the draw?

For me, it is the following:

-intellectual discussion is more interesting with people with differing views
-I am deeply interested in human psychology and I don't care so much what people believe in, it is how they justify their belief that interests me and this site provides boatloads of interest, in that regard.
-Lastly, this site can be highly entertaining.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GrimKingGrim

The Thin Dead Line of sanity
Apr 13, 2015
Isle of Who?
✟10,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I find GottServant to be the most entertaining out of anyone, I really get a laugh out of being stumped by pure nonsense. It's like playing Sudoku when YOU KNOW THE NUMBER GOES THERE!

I'm also earnest when it comes to self esteem and I see so many tragic stories and how people don't like themselves. So there's that.

Also, it can get boring reading posts of those who think like you do all the time.

Actually I thought the same too, but the AthiestForums is so far pretty good. I don't mean to advertise them but they actually had a thread about the building of complex societies without the need of an all powerful Deity. It's a fascinating discussion and history lesson.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I´m living in a predominantly Christian environment in real life, as well.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.