Why are there so many atheists on a Christian site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Songsmith

May 3, 2015
✟9,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I mean, not that I want them gone, but it just seems strange to me that so many atheists would choose to spend their time and eergy on a site that is antithetical to their worldview. The interesting thing to me is that they don't seem to be here to proselytize, which would make sense to me. I assume that they, or many of them anyway, feela sense of community here if they've been here for a while. So, if not to show the poor theist the freedom of atheism, what is the draw?

Grafted In

Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟52,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe they are here because In their hearts they are seeking the truth. Their disdain of spiritual matters is a smoke screen as they continue to glean evidence they so desparatly desire. They dog this website, throwing every imaginable trick they can at believers to achieve clarification on matters that haunt them. After all, they are cold....not lukewarm. A lukewarm person would not waste their time. They are the ones who have been inoculated with just enough of The Good News to prevent becoming infected. But not these guys.
I say stay in there swinging, guys. You know if you hang around a barbershop long enough, eventually you're going to get a haircut.
To believers I say they may very well someday be some of the most powerful and effective preachers of the Gospel among us.
Besides, they do a great job of honing our faith. What would we do without them?

Upvote 0

GrimKingGrim

The Thin Dead Line of sanity
Apr 13, 2015
Isle of Who?
✟10,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe they are here because In their hearts they are seeking the truth.

Actually let me give you some rope here, you're right. I seek answers I never got as a theist, now I'm atheist and I still seek the exact same answers.

Their disdain of spiritual matters is a smoke screen as they continue to glean evidence they so desperately desire.

You're right again, almost. I scan the evidence given, be it what little you do give.

They dog this website, throwing every imaginable trick they can at believers to achieve clarification on matters that haunt them.

We seek some clarification, but where's the trick?

After all, they are cold....not lukewarm.

Oh come on I'm warm and loving. Do you want a hug? Have a hug.

A lukewarm person would not waste their time.

Sorta right?

They are the ones who have been inoculated with just enough of The Good News to prevent becoming infected. But not these guys.

Infected? Noice.

I say stay in there swinging, guys. You know if you hang around a barbershop long enough, eventually you're going to get a haircut.

Uh... ahaha. No. There's an lukewarm analogy.

To believers I say they may very well someday be some of the most powerful and effective preachers of the Gospel among us.

Atheists who become believers again generally feel IMMENSE guilt about it and go off the rails with the preaching.

Besides, they do a great job of honing our faith. What would we do without them?

I mean sure, everyone needs an enemy.

I believe that too, in their hearts they want to believe

You're right you know. I do, now make me believe it.

even if their mind is still poisoned by atheism and secularism

More like polluted with common sense and dignity.

they try to recover and meet God.

Just present a credible case and we'll consider it. We come here to discuss, it's why we're here. If we actually didn't care enough to get questions answered we literally wouldn't have come. Sadly we have to all deal with usually poorly designed arguments and rhetoric and senseless bickering that leads nowhere. It feels like wasted effort but seriously it's a forum.

And we're here also to give a reasonable, non-theistic view here on your topics. It gives you insights, you give us insights. We are mutually beneficial here.

Reactions: In situ
Upvote 0

GrimKingGrim

The Thin Dead Line of sanity
Apr 13, 2015
Isle of Who?
✟10,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If it's the questions that put you in your box then wouldn't it be more rational to ask better questions?

We did why do you think we're atheist?

We asked the hard questions and didn't settle for a terrible answer for comfort. And when we came up short, faith melted away. (Speaking for people like me)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I mean, not that I want them gone, but it just seems strange to me that so many atheists would choose to spend their time and eergy on a site that is antithetical to their worldview. The interesting thing to me is that they don't seem to be here to proselytize, which would make sense to me. I assume that they, or many of them anyway, feela sense of community here if they've been here for a while. So, if not to show the poor theist the freedom of atheism, what is the draw?

I originally joined this forum in 2007 as a Christian. In those early days I mainly discussed my faith, conspiracy theories, and politics. Since then my perspective has shifted significantly; I am no longer a Christian, or even a theist. Yet I stay because I enjoy the conversation that goes on here. It's sometimes illuminating, often amusing, and never dull.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'll agree it is well moderated and very civil if a little annoying sometimes.

There's that also. The discussion is sufficiently civil, sometimes to a fault. ;) A cursory glance at the comments section on YouTube is enough to make one appreciate the tone of the discourse here.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I believe that too, in their hearts they want to believe, even if their mind is still poisoned by atheism and secularism they try to recover and meet God.

Why do some believers feel the need to pathologise nonbelief? We aren't here because we're sick and searching for a cure. We're here because we are interested in the discourse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Conscious Z

Oct 23, 2012
✟8,363.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Most atheists enjoy talking about theism and atheism. They enjoy getting into debates with theists. This is a good place to do those things.

I feel no sense of community here.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Everyone who willingly got distanciated from Christ is deluded and fell on sin and on pride, the worst sin of them all.

Or they seriously examined their beliefs and discovered that they were unfounded.

I don't say I'm superior for believing.

The sentence just before this one suggests you think otherwise.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.