Why are most shooters men?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Female hormones promote social bonding. Not so with males.
Yeah, that's why there's never any hate within women's groups, and why it's always war within men's groups...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Female hormones promote social bonding. Not so with males.
So argued the women who wanted to kill off all males back 30-40 years ago.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mental health issues are a big factor. True, one does not want a mentally ill person walking around with a gun, but one also does not want a mentally ill person walking around without treatment.

That is a huge problem around here. Mentally disabled homeless, none of them get their disability because of the hardened judges in SSI courts. I've talked to my counselors about it and they all agree no one is getting their disability benefits these days, they all end up homeless and violent and in jail. I guarantee if you gave the mentally disabled homeless people in my area guns, the mass shootings would spike :(

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Indeed. But I am very concerned about the definition of mass shooting used in this stat. This USA Today Article has over 300 mass shootings in the US just in 2018

Thousand Oaks makes 307 mass shootings in 311 days

USA today is operating on a definition of "mass shooting" as any situation where 4 or more people are injured. Their stats include all forms of crime, as well as accidental shootings.

That's not the definition the government uses.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's not the definition the government uses.
The Gov’t (FBI) does not have an official definition of mass shootings; only mass killings.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
USA today is operating on a definition of "mass shooting" as any situation where 4 or more people are injured. Their stats include all forms of crime, as well as accidental shootings.

How can 4 or more persons be shot by accident ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can 4 or more persons be shot by accident ?

When a child picks up a semiautomatic pistol, for example.

Or, as @Sabertooth says, a shotgun.

The USA Today definition also includes cases where four or more people are injured by shooting during a robbery or other crime.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,056.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You might also ask, why do men commit suicide four times as often as women?

Good point. I'd hate to keep pointing this out but mass/entertainment media have a strong accountability in this.

For portraying men as "lovers of violence", for portraying that violence or high adrenaline acivities is a cool thing. Violent men are cool. Men who lead needlessly dangerous lives, ready to kill are sexy even if they might be involved in organized crime.

I don't have to prove the strong influence of mass/entertainment media to public opinion/sentiments, they set the trends and thinking, what's cool or not, etc. Just look at teenagers.

Mass/entertainment media needs to be made aware their irresponsible use of their position of influence for the love and worship of money is leading the many to senselessness - inability to think rationally which includes the love of money and glorification of violence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Gov’t (FBI) does not have an official definition of mass shootings; only mass killings.

The Congressional Research Service (CRS) defines mass shootings as events where more than four people are killed with a firearm “within one event, and in one or more locations in close proximity.” Congress uses the term “mass killings” and describes these events as “three or more killings in a single incident.” The FBI uses the term “Active Shooter,” which it defines as “an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area.” -- from https://ovc.ncjrs.gov/ncvrw2018/info_flyers/fact_sheets/2018NCVRW_MassCasualty_508_QC.pdf

From the same source: The decision to include gang- or drug-related incidents, the accidental discharge of a firearm, or family- and intimate partner-related shootings further complicates the definition of a mass shooting. Mother Jones, the FBI, CRS, the MSA, and Congress do not include these incidents in their definitions, while USA Today does.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Congressional Research Service (CRS) defines mass shootings as events where more than four people are killed with a firearm “within one event, and in one or more locations in close proximity.”
That is mass killing, not mass shooting.
The FBI uses the term “Active Shooter,” which it defines as “an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area.” -
Again, mass KILLING. “Mass shooting” includes the number of people injured in gun fire, not just killed. The government does not define or track that.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is mass killing, not mass shooting.

Again, mass KILLING. “Mass shooting” includes the number of people injured in gun fire, not just killed. The government does not define or track that.

The FBI uses the term “Active Shooter,” which it defines as “an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The FBI uses the term “Active Shooter,” which it defines as “an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area.”
But there are no numbers associated with it.

Mass shooting stats have numbers of people actually wounded.

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Us had additional mass shootings over the past few days. Three innocent people were shot and killed in State College, Pennsylvania; a forth remains in the hospital. That shooter later killed himself. Five women were gunned down in a Florida bank; that shooter is in police custody. The most recent in Louisiana resulted in five deaths; that shooter is still at large.

The one thing that connects all these shootings is that the killer was male. In fact, men have been responsible for almost all mass shootings.

What is wrong here? What are we teaching (or not teaching) our sons that we are apparently teaching (or not teaching) our daughters? More importantly, how do we stop this?

At least two of these shootings involved girlfriends/ex-girlfriends. Again, what are we teaching our young men that apparently makes them think that they have an ownership interest in their girlfriend/ex-girlfriend?

I would ask why we make guns, particularly semi-automatic guns, so readily available in our nation but I know where those discussions go, so please keep away from that issue.
This is a great question, that our culture currently is not addressing.
Our culture wants to ask why women are so oppressed and kept out of decision making.

There is a simple answer to this question. Men like logical structures of belief, reasons to live and are less empathetic to those around them and keeping them happy.

This dislocation has the advantage if it is a good image or goal, it will be fought for through terrible situations. The downside is if an image or goal is painted where everyone is evil and out to get the individual, like in paranoia, it becomes very easy to then go out and kill these same people, because they are no longer people, but part of the reason the person is rejected.

In my family I had a classic problem that shows up the difference between men and women.
My daughter was having too much attention by someone in our church who I have contact with. This contact is fairly public but also has been rebuffed privately. I said it would affect my contact with this young man, and was told I was not allowed to "get involved" etc. and I was being sexist etc. and off they flew in a rage. What I meant was simply I needed to be careful how I approached this young man, nothing more, as I speak to them weekly at church.

Now my daughter was reacting emotionally and in an involved way with a very personal issue. I was just saying from a contact point of view, I should be careful what I say. Guys understand what I mean, women tend to side with my daughter, because any contact would be "weird". But the facts are I have weekly contact. It is this difference and how we are wired, that is so important to recognise. Too often women see only their way of relating, and not intrinsically men are different. But get a group of women as a group and men as a group and you will see it displayed all the differences how they groups function and how this is true everywhere in every culture. And this is a God given difference that we should celebrate and also recognise the weaknesses and strengths both have.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You might also ask, why do men commit suicide four times as often as women?

A commentator who does research into these situations Jordan Peterson said something profound.
It is not that more men attempt suicide than women, but men when they attempt suicide are better at it and have the real intention to die, and women tend to fail at the mechanics.
On this basis there is no difference between the sexes other than in ability to succeed.

This highlights why statistics alone are not enough to draw meaningful conclusions from.
I thought immediately that men have a serious depression issue, rather than it is a social depression issue working out differently between the sexes.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics