Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
In a similar way, face masks are tied to the political conflict over our response to the coronavirus. Those who lean left politically tend to see the virus as a more dire threat; those on the right are more likely to downplay its seriousness or compare it to less deadly strains like the flu, often following the lead of conservative politicians.

Accordingly, masks may be seen as a marker of political loyalty, triggering feelings of us-versus-them. A politically liberal person may assume that someone wearing a mask is “on their team,” while those who don’t wear masks must be Fox News-watching Republicans. The anger they feel is not simply about the mask, but about believing the non-mask wearer is a certain type of person.

On the flip side, the politically conservative might interpret calls for masks as politically-driven efforts to play up the seriousness of the coronavirus. Being asked to don a mask then becomes not just a request to protect the health of others, but to give up their worldview and political allegiance. It may feel like asking a Red Sox fan to put on a Yankees jersey.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...05/why-are-masks-triggering-conflict-and-rage

--------------------

This an article I thought was poignant. Don't shoot the messenger please :).

Because people don't know or care about what is happening is ritualistic/spiritual. We spent a long time refining what we think is possible into a nice closed-off limited box. That's not how reality works; truth is stranger than fiction.

It is a spiritual issue, and since most people don't actually believe in spirits, it is easy to direct them to do things by influencing the thing no one actually believes exists (yet, is THE very thing piloting the vessels we call a body).

The leaders of the world, the prejudice and racism, the activities of this pandemic, love waxing cold - all spiritual dress rehersals and tests.

Upvote 0

jardiniere

Oct 14, 2006
✟152,266.00
Faith
Pantheist
We are forced to do lots of things by force of government decree. We wear seat belts in autos, and follow traffic laws. We wear shoes and shirts in stores (let's not even get into not wearing pants, right?) We can't drink and drive without a threat of government sanctions. And all those things are because our individual behaviors will negatively affect those we come in contact with were we to pursue them.

Why is this so different? Because our whole government is divided on the issue. The federal government says not needed, the state governments say needed, the local governments are...divided. When there is not a united front to deal with a national threat, it appears to become a political issue. And as we have recently learned, the federal government was the first to deal with this threat as a political threat, not a national threat to our nation's welfare. So in that way, we have sort of goofed up on our response, and made our own situation worse than necessary.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
So in that way, we have sort of goofed up on our response, and made our own situation worse than necessary.

Yes.

We begged for our demise by consistently remaining divided as a nation. A handful of nations realized the answer to collapse America was right in their faces: use the long-standing American prejudice, racism, and unresolved history of violence against their own citizens to implode the States. Not one shot has to be fired, because we are doing all of the work. We can't even put our prejudices down for a minute to realize there is an enemy exploiting it - we double down. Wearing a mask is the last piece of "choice" Americans feel they have (in other words, without saying it we "know" we are not free, and we are desperately trying to hold on to an illusion of it by exercising our "right" to wear a mask).

So, it's good you realize we did this to ourselves; that will be a spiritual advantage you will have in general.

• Agree
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
conservatives were put in a position where they have to respond in kind.

Right, conservatives can't help it. They are forced to be foolish. It is not their fault. It is the fault of liberals that conservatives are foolish. I got it now.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The population doesn't know who to believe or what to do because away from the liberal/conservative nonsense and silliness there have been many lies. It would have been nice if the scientist just said we just don't know but no they had to have an ego trip because they been treated like gods and acted like they knew everything and made it political instantly when it hit our shores. Anyway my feelings and I am sick of both stupid sides

Our population isn't confused, it's stupid.

The people politicizing the virus and spreading misinformation about it are evil.

However "lets take this seriously" isn't a liberal position it is a rational one.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If this COVID is like the Ebola virus, or Rabies we wouldn't have to debate about wearing a mask. People will be locking themselves up in their homes. And if they want to come out of their houses, they will be wearing full bio hazard suits with an oxygen tank.

That's just the thing. Rabies or Ebola would be easier to contain because people would take it seriously.

Neither of those viruses are properly airborne though, so containing this one is doubly hard because people refuse to take it seriously and it spreads much more easily.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
In a similar way, face masks are tied to the political conflict over our response to the coronavirus. Those who lean left politically tend to see the virus as a more dire threat; those on the right are more likely to downplay its seriousness or compare it to less deadly strains like the flu, often following the lead of conservative politicians.

Accordingly, masks may be seen as a marker of political loyalty, triggering feelings of us-versus-them. A politically liberal person may assume that someone wearing a mask is “on their team,” while those who don’t wear masks must be Fox News-watching Republicans. The anger they feel is not simply about the mask, but about believing the non-mask wearer is a certain type of person.

On the flip side, the politically conservative might interpret calls for masks as politically-driven efforts to play up the seriousness of the coronavirus. Being asked to don a mask then becomes not just a request to protect the health of others, but to give up their worldview and political allegiance. It may feel like asking a Red Sox fan to put on a Yankees jersey.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...05/why-are-masks-triggering-conflict-and-rage

--------------------

This an article I thought was poignant. Don't shoot the messenger please :).
A major part of the problem as I see it is that there are
people who would politicize a dust bunny if you gave
'em half a chance. So attaching politics to a piece of
fabric across the face is going to come waaaay too easily
for them. God forbid there be a non-political reason for
doing something. :D

-

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A major part of the problem as I see it is that there are
people who would politicize a dust bunny if you gave
'em half a chance. So attaching politics to a piece of
fabric across the face is going to come waaaay too easily
for them. God forbid there be a non-political reason for
doing something. :D

-

That be true!

I see people claiming the liberal and conservative badge that feel the same way about the piece of cloth, but then again the ones that use those badges as slurs? They love to pretend it isn't so. Seeing the political is like a drug to them. It must be exhausting.

Upvote 0

Searching1God

Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2017
Denver
✟94,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, we are fat and lazy for the most part. I went for a run in our local park and everyone that was just walking and stopping and walking were always looking down at there phones- and most were fat. I even asked another runner what was wrong? He said he didn't know, but then I realized it was just Saturday in the park, I'm usually there on weekdays. :doh:

Sadly we are reaping our lifestyle choices here. If you lose weight and raise your V02 Max through training, you are adding endurance and the ability to ventilate. Thus you can fight any sickness better and you will have better quality of life.

But that would mean people would actually have to do some work on theimselves, which would involve tackling their gluttony and lack of self control in order to better their health. It is so much easier to point the finger at others for not wearing a mask.

Upvote 0

jollybear

Nov 22, 2007
✟12,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I dont wear a mask going to grocery stores.

Reason?
1, the death rate is less then 1%
2, my freedom is more important then the risk.
3, if others are afraid of the virus, THEY can wear a mask and stay away from me and if there REAL afraid, they can homeshop. Why should i be the one to have to home shop because there afraid of me not wearing a mask? And if there wearing a mask, then they should feel secure enough behind it without demanding i wear one too. I should not have to sacrifice my freedom to cater to there fears. Aspeasally fears that are irrational at that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you look at the rest of the world, and the Coronavirus tallies, well this is a highly contagious and deadly pandemic.

Many countries have flattened their curve, they did it by taking the pandemic seriously, social distancing, masks, whatever. For the world it isn't a Democratic vs Republican thing, it isn't a left vs right thing. It is merely taking the health of society seriously.

I have no idea why Trump and the right in USA have down played it, and largely refused to wear masks and protested lockdowns. You have 150,000 dead and counting. If your right wing parties are pro-life, then why aren't they fighting to save lives?

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Reason?
3, if others are afraid of the virus, THEY can wear a mask and stay away from me and if there REAL afraid, they can homeshop. Why should i be the one to have to home shop because there afraid of me not wearing a mask? And if there wearing a mask, then they should feel secure enough behind it without demanding i wear one too. I should not have to sacrifice my freedom to cater to there fears. Aspeasally fears that are irrational at that.
This is the problem though. When people take a selfish perspective to it.

"I'm not worried, I'm in a group where the death rate is low-ish."
But contagious diseases spread, if you catch it and spread it around then people will die who otherwise wouldn't have.
150,000 have died already and you call that an irrational fear.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Reason?

Because were not selfish people like some seem to be, masks HELP OTHERS for the 414917391 time, your wearing a masks saves other peoples lives, god it's really disgusting how many so called Christians on this site seem to be quiet happy to kill others over freedom.

The irational people are those that seem quiet happy to kill people.

Upvote 0

RushMAN

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
West Coast
✟101,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We as Christians have to ask ourselves what is more important out freedoms that can be transitory or our Christian duty to others and placing ourselves second with humility. Can we really be Christians first or is that gone?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jollybear

Nov 22, 2007
✟12,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you look at the rest of the world, and the Coronavirus tallies, well this is a highly contagious and deadly pandemic.

Many countries have flattened their curve, they did it by taking the pandemic seriously, social distancing, masks, whatever. For the world it isn't a Democratic vs Republican thing, it isn't a left vs right thing. It is merely taking the health of society seriously.

I have no idea why Trump and the right in USA have down played it, and largely refused to wear masks and protested lockdowns. You have 150,000 dead and counting. If your right wing parties are pro-life, then why aren't they fighting to save lives?
Because were not selfish people like some seem to be, masks HELP OTHERS for the 414917391 time, your wearing a masks saves other peoples lives, god it's really disgusting how many so called Christians on this site seem to be quiet happy to kill others over freedom.

The irational people are those that seem quiet happy to kill people.

Its not selfish for me to refuse to cater to others fears of the virus, its selfish for them to demand i wear a mask to relieve there fears when THEY should feel secure behind there own mask or they can stay home and home shop.

Over half a million people die of the regular flu every year, yet people wer not wearing masks for that. Where wer all the VERTUE SIGNALLERS then?

Ah ya, the news didn't tell them to wear one then.

Its selfish to require us to wear a mask under the threat of no service, fines or worse jail.

My freedom and YOUR freedom and your children's freedom is much more important then living in a bubble. Where does the madness stop?

We have businesses being destroyed in the name of health and you call us selfish?

Give me a break.

• Agree
Reactions: Running2win
Upvote 0

RushMAN

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
West Coast
✟101,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My freedom pales in comparison to my Christian duty and eternity. We must all decide is it more important to be a Christian or to be inconvenienced for a time and that can harm others (Matthew 7:12). You see a mask is not to help you it is to help others from getting something and it works as in the Missouri hair style who had covid and wore and the customers did also and no one got the disease. If a mask really the hill people want to die on when there are much more important things.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Over half a million people die of the regular flu every year, yet people wer not wearing masks for that.
Good point.

And it's not as though it should take a pandemic to consider the safety of others. I often wonder how many dutiful mask-wearers have been as concerned about others' safety in other areas of life, such as whenever they've indulged in some reckless driving. Or, another example -- smoking. If concern for others' well-being was that ingrained in their character, it will show outside of just wearing masks during a pandemic.

Also, the fear. Fear lowers ones immune system. If I truly care about the other guy's health, I will do everything possible to keep my fight-or-flight response in check, because otherwise I could get sick and give that illness to the other guy, or make him fearful enough to get sick. In that light, being fearful -- and promoting fear in others with the help of media brainwashing -- could be construed as being equally selfish.

The Narrative doesn't take that into consideration, though. We must obey The Narrative. ;)

-

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its not selfish for me to refuse to cater to others fears of the virus, its selfish for them to demand i wear a mask to relieve there fears when THEY should feel secure behind there own mask or they can stay home and home shop.

Over half a million people die of the regular flu every year, yet people wer not wearing masks for that. Where wer all the VERTUE SIGNALLERS then?

Ah ya, the news didn't tell them to wear one then.

Its selfish to require us to wear a mask under the threat of no service, fines or worse jail.

My freedom and YOUR freedom and your children's freedom is much more important then living in a bubble. Where does the madness stop?

We have businesses being destroyed in the name of health and you call us selfish?

Give me a break.

My family and your families lives are more important then self important selfish people that kill others.

Ohhhh half a million die every year.....good thing Covid hasn't done that in half a ...oh wait.

Well I'm sure in the USA it isn't that ba....oh wait 2X's that in half a year.

I can never take you guys seriously, all about your FRITUM!!!! while a thousand people are dying every day and this isn't even close to being a quarter finished. you better believe people with covid should be arrested for homicide if they knowingly spread it.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good point.

And it's not as though it should take a pandemic to consider the safety of others. I often wonder how many dutiful mask-wearers have been as concerned about others' safety in other areas of life, such as whenever they've indulged in some reckless driving. Or, another example -- smoking. If concern for others' well-being was that ingrained in their character, it will show outside of just wearing masks during a pandemic.

Also, the fear. Fear lowers ones immune system. If I truly care about the other guy's health, I will do everything possible to keep my fight-or-flight response in check, because otherwise I could get sick and give that illness to the other guy, or make him fearful enough to get sick. In that light, being fearful -- and promoting fear in others with the help of media brainwashing -- could be construed as being equally selfish.

The Narrative doesn't take that into consideration, though. We must obey The Narrative. ;)

-

Yeah.....you guys are so much better with promoting selfishness, complacency that just spreads the fear even further by making this disease a thousand times worse then it should have been if people were not children.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.