Visit site
✟1,729,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Well, I guess I will say that the point of prayer is not to get stuff, but to have fellowship with the Creator of the Universe. Are we to ask for things from time to time? Yes, but they have to be in the will of God.

Jesus said that if we ask anything in His name, it would be granted. But to ask in His name is more than just adding "in Jesus' name' to the end of a prayer. It is to ask according to His will and for His glory.

So the point is to pray because we love God and want to commune with Him. As the relationship develops, we will learn (by studying Scripture and prayer) what His will is.

Upvote 0

KarrieTex

HOOK EM HORNS
Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2006
Houston, Texas
✟38,214.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
One) All prayer is ANSWERED. God either says no, yes, or wait

Two) The point of prayer is to speak with God and for Him to speak to you.

As your example, you are praying to go to the States. You are unable to go. God clearly said no, or no, not now. Instead of being a child in your walk, grow and ask God why not now or at all.

Upvote 0

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I pray:

God will you help me get money together to go to america.

And God's will is for me not to go to America, then what is the point in prayer?
Quid pro quo isn’t the point of prayer; God isn’t a cosmic vending machine. I suggest you take a look at examples of prayer in the bible…

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟26,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Did you watch the movie Bruce Almighty? In it, Bruce gets to be God for a while. He comes across God's email/prayer list. At first, he just allows everyone to have what they pray for. This ends up in mass chaos. I mean, lets say you pray to get money for America, but someone else prays that America is destroyed, then obviously there is going to be some sort of melt down or something, ya know? God answers every prayer. That is for certain. However, a lot of the time, He answers it contrary to how we feel it should answer. But remember, God knows best, so put your trust in Him.

Oh by the way Rob, I like your avatar of Nas. He is one of my favorite hip hop artists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.