USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Only Bible truth properly taught and understood will the Holy Spirit take hold of, and make you His own in oneness of that truth.

That’s correct and our anchor must be in Him. Not a man or venue.

Good intentions (sincerity in sharing) are fleeting emotions. Truth hitting home is forever.

In my mind, sharing involves mutual engagement where both listen and contribute. And even so, there are subjects which are best covered in counsel and all should be taken to the Lord first.

There’s a holy prompting too which really alters the dialogue. It lifts it from the domain of flesh to the realm of spirit. That’s holy sharing and often yields fruit.

Jesus came to give us life and life more abundantly.... How many superficial seekers even know what that means? Do I even know it?

That would depend on your interpretation of abundance and whether it mirrors His.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,621.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This is a topic that touches on a myriad of subjects - things to do with the nature and role of the Church, the Gospel, sacraments, justification, sanctification, sin, ministry, authority, apostolicity etc - and quite difficult to put into few words.

However, I hold that the Holy Church proper is the communion of saints and true believers in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, our one God and one Lord Jesus Christ, where the Gospel is rightly taught and the Sacraments rightly administered. As such, I believe that a truthful division is better than a dishonest union with anything that compromises the Gospel - which is justification by faith, by God’s grace.

The Church is a complex thing, but if rightly understood, a joyful one — It’s the ark of the Gospel and the glorious bride of Christ! Therefore, even if man is divided, we can have comfort in the certainty that the kingdom of God is not, but that God will bring about salvation and restoration as promised. In the words of our Lord Jesus Christ: “I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Gideons300

Our awakening is beginning. Prepare to be amazed.
Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe a better question is: Who in each denomination is a truly born-again child of God?

So, what about Jesus' remark that "narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and few there are who find it"? (Matthew 7:14) Often the Gospel is preached without having a saving effect. That is not the fault of the Gospel or the one who preached it, necessarily, but simply the reality of what Jesus predicted.

Well, all of these things certainly MAY be the experience of a genuine convert to the faith, and at some point should be, but I recall the apostle Paul scolding the Corinthian believers pretty severely for their carnality, pettiness, sexual immorality and such like. He proclaimed them saved again and again in his letter to them, but described a whole host of serious sins of which they were guilty. Did Paul, then, not preach the Gospel properly to the Corinthian believers? I think that very unlikely. It seems to me, then, that being saved does not ALWAYS immediately result in the kind of living you lay out above.

Sometimes. Sometimes not. See above.

No...

I suppose for some this may be true...But not for me...

If one's heart is crying out for more Jesus in the company of others who are also doing so, is one not in the "right group," by your definition? My point is, being in the "right group" and crying out for more of Christ are not necessarily mutually exclusive things.
What I mean by 'the gospel works' is IF one believes it. Just hearing it, even if it is pure truth, does nothing.

I agree that carnality is often present when first converted to the Lord. And God is gracious and patient to those who may stumble. A father is excited to see his child take their first steps, even if a stumble follows. Amen?

But.... if the child is now 8, and still stumbles and cannot walk properly, should there not be great concern? Of course there should.

We are taught sanctification is a process that takes time. I agree absolutely! But where are those saints who have walked with the Lord for years, decades, and who walk as overcomers, victorious over the sins of the flesh, unaffected by the baubles and pleasures this life offers, and who can stare down satan every time when satan comes tempting?

Something is amiss. Hugely amiss. And it is high time we bowed our knees and sought God as to why, and what is needed on our part to fix it, amen? Is there an answer? A real answer that actually works? Absolutely! But it will be found only when we hunger for it more than our next breath.

God has prepared a walk for us where victory is not only possible, but assured! It is there for both the weak as well as the strong, but.... it will begin with the weak ones who KNOW they are weak.

blessings,

Gids

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That would depend on your interpretation of abundance and whether it mirrors His.

The best interpretation is having the very thing others are still trying to interpret.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,456.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What I mean by 'the gospel works' is IF one believes it. Just hearing it, even if it is pure truth, does nothing.

I agree that carnality is often present when first converted to the Lord. And God is gracious and patient to those who may stumble. A father is excited to see his child take their first steps, even if a stumble follows. Amen?

But.... if the child is now 8, and still stumbles and cannot walk properly, should there not be great concern? Of course there should.

We are taught sanctification is a process that takes time. I agree absolutely! But where are those saints who have walked with the Lord for years, decades, and who walk as overcomers, victorious over the sins of the flesh, unaffected by the baubles and pleasures this life offers, and who can stare down satan every time when satan comes tempting?

Something is amiss. Hugely amiss. And it is high time we bowed our knees and sought God as to why, and what is needed on our part to fix it, amen? Is there an answer? A real answer that actually works? Absolutely! But it will be found only when we hunger for it more than our next breath.

God has prepared a walk for us where victory is not only possible, but assured! It is there for both the weak as well as the strong, but.... it will begin with the weak ones who KNOW they are weak.

blessings,

Gids

Count me as one of the VERY WEAK ones! ;)

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Count me as one of the VERY WEAK ones! ;)
Me too, my dear friend, me too. We are told that God wants to plant our feet on the highway of holiness, where NO evil beast roams and a man, though he be a fool, shall not err therein. Glory to God, we qualify!

Many blessings to you.

Gids

Upvote 0

Peggy Valure

Jul 8, 2019
Seville
✟7,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He set up His church. Peter was the rock on which it was set up.
Church means assembly of people it's not a building or a certain group of people but it's all who follow Jesus as the Messiah..He was talking to the Jews still not the gentiles.

• Winner
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Mainly because mankind, well many Christians, can't accept the Kingdom as an alternate to the will of man. They seek all manner of ways around it and try and make the Kingdom fit into the world of man. The worldly's ears itch the most including within Christianity
That's exactly what the pre-Reformation Eastern Churches say.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,456.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Me too, my dear friend, me too. We are told that God wants to plant our feet on the highway of holiness, where NO evil beast roams and a man, though he be a fool, shall not err therein. Glory to God, we qualify!

Many blessings to you.

Gids

Big difference being is that you won your battle with those sins. Mine is still ongoing.

God bless you friend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,456.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Church means assembly of people it's not a building or a certain group of people but it's all who follow Jesus as the Messiah..He was talking to the Jews still not the gentiles.

I didnt say it was a building

Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟263,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Which denomination is the true one? For both Catholics and Protestants, I am sure each one of you will most likely have an answer, for one reason or another. But.... is it the right answer? The subject matter is important, and I beg you understand. My intent is certainly not to disparage any particular denomination with what I am about to share here. But here is something to ruminate on.

If one is truly preaching the pure unadulterated gospel, what happens? The gospel works! A good tree produces good fruit. Many are convinced that their particular brand of Christianity is the God centered one, as I am sure you do yours. We base this on what we perceive to be what the true gospel is, so we congregate with others of like mind.

But what if we based it on the type of saint that gospel produced? In other words, what if we based our assessment of any split or denomination upon what God had promised us? If we are to know them by their fruits, then shouldn't a major factor in determining who actually possesses.... or in this particular case.... is possessed by the truth?

Here is the sad truth. It is here that things get dicey for every single denomination on the planet. All 500+ of them. Yours. Mine. Ours. Theirs. Catholic. Protestant. Orthodox. Why? Because Jesus said that if we abide in Him, we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. If we are walking in God’s will, we will love Him with our whole heart and our neighbor as ourselves. We will love not the world, nor the things in the world. We will be single eyed, full of joy, and walk as overcomers with our shields of faith up, quenching all the fiery arrows of the enemy. Jesus PROMISED us that. It is our birthright, and it is time we finally possessed it, amen?

We must understand. We see these things as goals. They are not. They are fruits of the truth. Simply put, truly pure teaching of the real gospel WILL produce much fruit, amen? Those who walk the path will find the FREE INDED Jesus spoke of, free of committing sin. (His words, not mine). So how are we doing? How is your particular denomination of choice doing? Mine? Yeah, same as yours.

Now you may be honing in on the purpose of my OP. How do we react when we hear Jesus’s description as to what will happen when the real gospel is proclaimed correctly? Do we not get defensive, a bit angry, frustrated, trying to defend what we have put so much trust in?

Look, I get it. I do. Our identification, our feeling of security, comes from our affiliation with others of the same mindset. But at what point do we say "Something is off." This is what we need to face. Our security is not in Christ. Subtly, it has become our "group" that makes us feel we possess the truth. Ahhh, but does the truth possess us? Do we not see? If our love for our denomination is greater than our love for other believers who perhaps do not see things is the same light as we do is, then according to the word of the God we serve, we are still carnal. No exceptions.

When we finally stop and scratch our heads and really question why this is, instead of defending our group based on our denomination’s long history or our huge size, or our superior teaching, that is a real first step in seeking for and finding the answer we need.

But as long as we continue to worship man-made institutions and place them on nearly equal footing with God Himself, nstead of crying out to our Father to bring our own lives to fulfill the standard listed above, to set us free indeed, sadly we will continue to wallow in our religion. And equally sadly, the world will continue to look at us and call us hypocrites. and rightly so.

Change IS coming. who will see it first? Those who hunger not to be in rbe right group, but those whose hearts are crying out for more of Jesus, those who refuse to accept anything less than abiding in Him and walking pleasibg to the one who bought us.

Blessings,

Gideon

The great truth;

“You shall know them by their fruits.”

Trying and answering the; why the fruit is not good question.

Would that all our hearts would see the “why.”

Blessings as we press into Him that the why might be known.

Much love in Christ, Not me

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
If understanding a church doctrine was the key to salvation we would be all set. I have a pastor who has a Masters degree from Liberty University but who comes off cold and ineffective. Give the same degree to another and he may come off properly motivated and do well.
You know Sister ...i wonder about these degrees . They have a monetary cost and one will not be ordained without a degree . And a degree only means you can pass the exams and you learn "approved doctrines " ( although when Jesus said to call no man rabbi or master for ye are all brothers ) , I am glad he did not include the tern reverend or Doctor
And I shall send you the Holy Ghost ...even the spirit of truth . What degree does the Holy Ghost have ? Who did the Holy Ghost study under ?
I am not against education per se but if we are not careful we will start to think that God is not able to impart wisdom to a man of low degree . ( or no degree )

Reactions: SunAndRain
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,794.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
You know Sister ...i wonder about these degrees . They have a monetary cost and one will not be ordained without a degree . And a degree only means you can pass the exams and you learn "approved doctrines " ( although when Jesus said to call no man rabbi or master for ye are all brothers ) , I am glad he did not include the tern reverend or Doctor
And I shall send you the Holy Ghost ...even the spirit of truth . What degree does the Holy Ghost have ? Who did the Holy Ghost study under ?
I am not against education per se but if we are not careful we will start to think that God is not able to impart wisdom to a man of low degree . ( or no degree )

It is important that we hear two voices speaking. One speaking from the prepared sermon, and the other speaking to the heart. When the Holy Spirit speaks to the heart as the sermon is being delivered, ones ears beg the speaker not to stop his delivery.

But... If the Holy Spirit speaks not it can be very cut and dry!

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Big difference being is that you won your battle with those sins. Mine is still ongoing.

God bless you friend.
You know you are always in my prayers, brother. Having ones eyes opened is not because one is more worthy, but because that soul has finally declared the battle unwinnable if it depends upon him doing it.

Sometimes it takes a while to come to the point you understand that effort will not win the battle. Nor fasting. Nor being a member of the right group.

It only took me 38 years! LOL. I think I was in the remedial brokenness class. But God has a victorious walk for ALL His children, from the least to the greatest.... and in that order!

I will say this. When someone's last shred of hope goes down in flames in battling 'the sins that so easily beset us',
and we see no hope on the horizon, no new thing to try to win the battle, no more leaves to turn over, it is then we are finally desperate enough to. ONLY believe.

Is it necessary to come to that point? Not at all. One can believe for it right now, but human nature being what it is, it seems that most will come to that place only when their face is in the hog trough, just as the prodigal son did.

But until we can admit we ARE prodigal, we still have hope we can do it the next time, if we just try a little bit harder! That is a heart not ready to believe.... yet. ☺️

blessings. You are in my prayers.

Gids

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The great truth;

“You shall know them by their fruits.”

Trying and answering the; why the fruit is not good question.

Would that all our hearts would see the “why.”

Blessings as we press into Him that the why might be known.

Much love in Christ, Not me
Good to see you, my fellow laborer.

Gids

• Friendly
Reactions: Not me
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
"The true church has always been here."

This is true ....

and the true church are those who believe in and who follow Jesus and those people transcend across all churches and denominations and include those who do not attend a organized church at all.

John the Baptist anyone?

Luke 7:28

I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he."

Interesting take on John the Baptist. Never thought whether or not he was part of a congregation? At least at the point he was baptizing people that didn't seem to be the case. But I guess the same could be said for people like Elisha. They went through seasons where they were all by themselves. Sometimes, I guess for various reasons, that's just the way it is.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

We are warned about knowledge for a reason. The man of low/no degree knows what he lacks. But those who are well educated often believe otherwise.

What we need is humility and a willingness to see ourselves as vessels for His use. Whether our stations are high or low. We’re all servants.

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not all will qualify to rule with Him. Only those who follow the Word in accuracy and faithfulness.

That right there shoots down the loyal denominational types. They will be saved. But, saved as seen in
2 Cor 3:11-15. Many will suffer the fate of having lived wood, hay, and stubble lives while saved.

Those who seek and find sound doctrinal teaching pastors... and LIVE by what is taught? These ones.. produced gold, silver, and precious stones. These who endured the pressures that resisted their desire for sound doctrine, will reign with Him forever end ever.

Jesus warned. Only a few find it. For, the majority of the saved will take the 'broad and wide' road of many choices (denominations and religious philosophies) designed to hone in on one's individual personal preferences.
Jesus said concerning the wide road that it does not lead to an economy class condo in Heaven, but to destruction.

The narrow road leads to life.

Blessings, Gene

Gideon

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God bless you friend.
Let me make sure no one mis-understands. Entering the promised land is the beginning of our fight, not the end. I am no exception.

And what is that fight? The good fight of faith! When the Israelites entered in to the land of Promise after forty years of rebellion and wandering in the wilderness, Jericho, mighty Jericho, fell before them. Joshua was so sure no one could stand in their way, that he only set a portion of his army to defeat Ai. Bad mistake.

Likewise, when a man or woman finally stands and declares that they.... the old them.... is dead, it is most definitely a Jericho moment. But this is not sinless perfectionism where we can no longer fall. Not at all.

Our eyes are to be fixed upon Jesus, depending on Him to keep is from falling. Ahh, there it is, our faith battle. We are destined to win it, but fight we must. Yes, there will be many battles, but our God has already given us the land, just as He did to Israel. Every step they took would be their possession, but their trust in God to cause them to walk obediently must GROW. And praise God, it will, to the end we become established in the faith.... our destiny.

blessings,

Gids

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.