Who was the first to know that Yeshua was the Son of God?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yahweh and Yahshua first, then the good angels, then the devil and his angels,
then Mary and Joseph (of course), then Elizabeth and Yochanan the immerser in her womb still, then perhaps some of those faithful ones who were praying daily in the Temple.... (when Jesus was brought as a baby)

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,173.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Mary says, "For, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed." I think Mary knew before the Christ was born.

28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
29 And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be.
30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name Jesus.
32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?
35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
36 And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.
37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.
38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.
39 And Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Juda;
40 And entered into the house of Zacharias, and saluted Elisabeth.
41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:
42 And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.
43 And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
44 For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.
45 And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord.
46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,
47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: For, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.
50 And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation.
51 He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
52 He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree.
53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.
54 He hath helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy;
55 As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever.
56 And Mary abode with her about three months, and returned to her own house. - Luke 1

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Some say Peter, but is that accurate?
I think Peter was third in line:
(John the Baptist) Joh 1:34 "And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God."
(Nathanael) Joh 1:49 Nathanael answered and said to Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!"

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some say Peter, but is that accurate?
I would think if we can rely on what Luke records, although he wasn't there and we don't know how he got his info, it would have to be his mother, Miriam as she was told by the angel.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Read Isaiah Ch's 9, 11, 52 & 53. He is the first to know.
The title of this thread is

Not, who was the first to know that G-d had a son?

I'm being picky here, but I'm always detail oriented. Since specifically Yeshua was named (and that wasn't one of the things he would be called in Is. 9) then it would have to be his mother.

30 So the angel told her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with G-d.
31 Behold, you will conceive and give birth to a son, and you shall give Him the name Jesus (Yeshua).
32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High.
The L-rd G-d will give Him the throne of His father David,…

Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's interesting that John the Baptist, Nathaniel, and Peter all recognized Yeshua as the Son of God by a different way.

Joh 1:29-34 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. (30) This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me. (31) And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water. (32) And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him. (33) And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. (34) And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

Joh 1:47-51 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile! (48) Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee. (49) Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel. (50) Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these. (51) And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

Mat 16:15-17 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? (16) And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. (17) And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think many people understood the Messiah to be the Son of God, so they proclaimed it to him when the Spirit revealed to them that Jesus of Nazareth was the Son of God. Seems to me that it was a common understanding of the day that the Messiah was the Son of God.

John 11:25-27 NIV
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

“Yes, Master,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

Even the demons knew

Matthew 8:28-29
And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way.

And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is odd that Mary and the brothers of Jesus forgot all about his calling and came to take him away because they thought that he was insane (beside himself). Additionally the Jews of that time understood the concept of "son of God" as a political rather than a religious concept.

• Agree
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Not, who was the first to know that G-d had a son?

I'm being picky here, but I'm always detail oriented. Since specifically Yeshua was named (and that wasn't one of the things he would be called in Is. 9) then it would have to be his mother.

30 So the angel told her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with G-d.
31 Behold, you will conceive and give birth to a son, and you shall give Him the name Jesus (Yeshua).
32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High.
The L-rd G-d will give Him the throne of His father David,…

You are right, that is being really picky. :) You created a thread on here, recently, showing how his name (Yeshua) was to be found buried in the Tanach; that validates my response that Isaiah, inspired by G_d, knew who he was speaking of without actually naming him in print - he didn't need to, as John 7:42 also indicates. :)

The OP doesn't restrict your question to a written name in the Christian Testament; G_d only had one son, so no dispute as to 'which one'. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is odd that Mary and the brothers of Jesus forgot all about his calling and came to take him away because they thought that he was insane (beside himself).

I've wondered about that myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Title of this Thread doesn't say "first Human" so the angel that told Miriam had to know before Miriam.
You are right, that is being really picky. :) You created a thread on here, recently, showing how his name (Yeshua) was to be found buried in the Tanach; that validates my response that Isaiah, inspired by G_d, knew who he was speaking of without actually naming him in print - he didn't need to, as John 7:42 also indicates. :)
And if we want to be even more precise then Father YHVH was the "first to know that Yeshua was the Son of God."

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

The OP doesn't restrict your question to a written name in the Christian Testament; G_d only had one son, so no dispute as to 'which one'. :)
Well that is arguable, remember that Daniel was told things and he didn't understand them? :) I don't think we can say that the prophets that were given words from G-d necessarily understood what they meant and I don't think Isaiah, who preceded Yeshua by many years 'knew' him.

I guess we would have to then disect the word in the OP of what 'knew' is defined as. ;)

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well that is arguable, remember that Daniel was told things and he didn't understand them? :) I don't think we can say that the prophets that were given words from G-d necessarily understood what they meant and I don't think Isaiah, who preceded Yeshua by many years 'knew' him.

I guess we would have to then disect the word in the OP of what 'knew' is defined as. ;)

Feel free to define 'knew'. 'Not necessarily' leaves open the fact that some did - I am sure Isaiah did as he described him so well. To say he didn't know G_d, makes Isaiah's claim that the son would be El Gibbor a nonsense; Isaiah knew G_d - they had spoken together (Is. 6) :)

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Feel free to define 'knew'. 'Not necessarily' leaves open the fact that some did - I am sure Isaiah did as he described him so well. To say he didn't know G_d, makes Isaiah's claim that the son would be El Gibbor a nonsense; Isaiah knew G_d - they had spoken together (Is. 6) :)
So you think that he saw Him on the throne as in Revelation?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0