What is the relationship between the God the Father and Son?

Runningman

Christian
Feb 13, 2023
USA
✟30,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What is the relationship between the Father and Son? An excellent question for anyone to begin their understanding of who God is.

Most English translation refers to the Son of God as Jesus Christ, but you will see me refer to him as Yeshua.

Yeshua taught that God is a Spirit (John 4:24)
Though Yeshua himself is a man (John 8:40)
God said He is not a man or a son of man (Numbers 23:19, Hosea 11:9, 1 Samuel 15:29)

With all of that being said, Yeshua said that his God and Father (John 20:17) dwelled in him. He spoke nothing of himself nor did the miraculous works he did come from himself, but from God (John 14:20)

Yeshua prayed that his disciples would be one in the exact way he is one with his Father so that he give the glory God gave him to his disciples. (John 17:21-22)

God put everything except Himself under the feet of Yeshua (1 Corinthians 15:27)

God designated the man Yeshua as the mediator between Himself and people (1 Timothy 2:5-6)

God the Father raised Yeshua from the dead (Galatians 1:1, Hebrews 5:7-9)

Paul identified God the Father as the God of Yeshua (Ephesians 1:15-17)

Yeshua doesn't know what God knows (Matthew 24:34-36)

Yeshua has a different will that God (Matthew 26:39)

Yeshua thanks his God for hearing him (John 11:41-42)

Yeshua said that only God is good (Luke 18:18-19)

Yeshua identified his Father as the only true God (John 17:3)

Yeshua identified himself as the Son of God (Matthew 16:15-17)

Yeshua did not anoint himself, but was anointed by God (Hebrews 5:4-5)

Yeshua and God are two distinct persons (Acts 7:55-56)

Paul taught we have only one God, the Father (1 Corinthians 8:5-6)

The gospel of the kingdom of God is that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16) For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. (John 3:17)

If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)

By this gospel you are saved if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. (1 Corinthians 15:2-4)

1. Christ died for our sins
2. Christ was buried
3. Christ rose again the third day

Last edited:

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What is the relationship between the Father and Son? An excellent question for anyone to begin their understanding of who God is.

Most English translation refers to the Son of God as Jesus Christ, but you will see me refer to him as Yeshua.

God said He is not a man or a son of man (Numbers 23:19, Hosea 11:9, 1 Samuel 15:29)

With all of that being said, Yeshua said that his God and Father (John 20:17) dwelled in him. He spoke nothing of himself nor did the miraculous works he did come from himself, but from God (John 14:20)

Yeshua prayed that his disciples would be one in the exact way he is one with his Father so that he give the glory God gave him to his disciples. (John 17:21-22)

God put everything except Himself under the feet of Yeshua (1 Corinthians 15:27)

God designated the man Yeshua as the mediator between Himself and people (1 Timothy 2:5-6)

The gospel of the kingdom of God is that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16) For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. (John 3:17)

If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)

By this gospel you are saved if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. (1 Corinthians 15:2-4)

2. Christ was buried

The relationship between the Father and the Son is generational, just as the relationship between a human father and his son. The difference being that as a human son there was a time that the son did not exist, and a time that the son was generated into the generational relationship with his father. The Son of God, being 'the first born Son of God", is the creative and sustaining power of God, the Word. By His Word God created all things. The Word of God was with God in the beginning and is God, therefore there was no time that the Word of God was generated. No beginning, no end. Eternal.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The relationship between the Father and the Son couldn't be any more clear than in the gospel of John, where

"In the beginning, was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God (Jn 1:1),

through which
Word all things were made,
in which Word was life,
which life was THE light of men,
though made by the Word, the world did not recognize him,
the Word came to his own, but his own received him not,
but to those who received the Word, who believed in his name, the Word gave the right to become children of God,
not children by natural descent of flesh and blood, or by a husband's will, but born of God.

This Word became flesh and dwelt among us,

John himself saw the glory of this Word (when Jesus was transfigured before him, Mt 17:1-5),
the glory of an only begotten (sired) from the Father, full of grace and truth.
(Jn 1:2-14)

Thus does the apostle John reveal and testify that
the Son of God, Jesus, who became flesh and dwelt among us, the Word, was God.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

2. Christ was buried
Heb 1:6
"Let ALL the angels of God WORSHIP Him" -- is said of both YHWH in the OT and of Christ in Hebrews 1.

John 1 - Jesus is the Creator of everything
Col 1 - Jesus is the Creator of everything
Rev 14:7 WORSHIP Him who created the heavens and the earth and the springs of water" (Jesus)

Rev 22:9 Worship God alone

John 17 shows us Jesus praying to His Father -- so then Jesus is not praying to Himself - they are two different persons.

One God Deut 6:4 in Three Persons Matt 28:19

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From my book "A Revelation of Who Jesus Is."

The scripture says that the Son came forth out of the Father much like a child comes out of a mother.

John 17:
8. For I have given to them the words which you gave me;
and they have received them, and have known surely that
I came out from you, and they have believed that you did send me.

JFB
“they ... have known surely that I came out from thee

Psalms 103 is universally accepted by all scholars, teachers, and students as referring to Jesus.

Psalms 103 (Brenton - Septuagint).
"The Lord said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
The Lord shall send out a rod of power for thee out of Sion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies.
With thee is dominion in the day of thy power, in the splendours of thy saints:
I have begotten thee from the womb
before the morning."

New American Bible
"Yours is princely power from the day of your birth.
In holy splendor before the daystar, like the dew I begot you."

George M. Lamsa translation: (from the Aramaic).
"Thy people shall be glorious in the day of thy power; arrayed in the beauty of holiness
from the womb, I have begotten thee as a child from the ages."

John 1:14
14. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,
(and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,)
full of grace and truth.

This was the understanding of early Church fathers.

"From the womb, before the morning star, have I begotten thee."
Justin Martyr, Dialogue with Trypho

"In the splendors of Thy holiness have I begotten Thee from the womb,
before the morning star."
Justin Martyr, Dialogue with Trypho

"'Awake, thou that sleepest,' He cries, 'and arise from the dead,
and there shall shine upon thee Christ the Lord,' the sun of the resurrection,
He that is begotten 'before the morning star [pro heosphorou],'
He that dispenses life by His own rays."
Clement, Exhortation to the Greeks

John 8 (CLV)
42 Jesus, then, said to them, "If God were your Father, you would have loved Me.
For out of God I came forth and am arriving. For neither have I come of Myself,
but He commissions Me."

John 8 (JM-NT)
42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you folks would have been loving Me,
for I came forth and am arrived here from out of the midst of God. For neither have I come from
Myself (=on My own initiative), but rather that One sent Me away with a mission
(commissions and sends Me forth as an Emissary: an Apostle).

John 8: (Beck)
42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would have loved me;
for I came out of God and am present; for I have not come from myself,
but that one sent me.

John 8: (The Greek NT, Kurt Aland)
42 Jesus said to them, “If God was your father you would love me [unconditionally],
for I came out of God and I am here; for I have not spoken of myself but
rather of that one, who sent me

John 8: Twentieth Century NT
42 "If God were your Father," Jesus replied, "you would have loved me,
for I came out from God, and now am here; and I have not come of myself,
but he sent me as his Messenger.

Pulpit Commentary John 8:42
“But Jesus will not allow them to claim the full privilege of sons of God. Said unto them,
If God were your Father, ye would be loving me, not seeking to slay me. Seeing that you do
not love me, God is not your Father in the sense in which you are boasting such relation to him.
he reason is: For I came forth out (ek) of God.

Alford Great Greek Commentary
42.] ‘If you were the children of God, the ethical proof (as Lutbardt well calls it) of such descent would be, that you would love Me, who am κατʼ ἐξοχήν the Son of God, and who am come by the mission, and bearing the character, of God.’ ἥκω conveys the result of ἐξῆλθον, as Meyer; who also remarks that mere sending will not exhaust ἐξῆλθον, which must be taken metaphysically, of the proceeding forth of the Eternal Son from the essence of the Father.

Vincent's Word Studies
John 8:42
“…Ἑξελθεῖν ἐκ, here, emphasizes the idea of essential, community of being:I came forth out of.

“A Commentary on the Old and New Testaments” by Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown
John 8:42-43
If God were your Father, ye would love me — “If ye had anything of His moral image,
as children have their father’s likeness, ye would love Me,
for I am immediately of Him and directly from Him.”

The context is that Word/Son/Jesus came “out of” the Father and is currently “here.” “Here,” meaning somewhere other than only within the Father. He is speaking of location and identity. He is no longer solely within God as He was when they existed as the Word/Son before creation. He is “here,” which means an exterior and localized presence outside of the Father.

Too much more to post here.

Upvote 0