• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Who is your favorite Pope

Discussion in 'Christian History' started by David Cabrera, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Davidnic

Davidnic Well-Known Member Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+10,153
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    ADVISOR HAT

This thread was taken off topic by a troll. It has been cleaned.

ADVISOR HAT

2. Blade

Blade Veteran Supporter

+1,401
    Christian
    Married
    Not Catholic..and there have been a few.. and to do all that.. wow what a job.. I have read about some that REALLY moved me.. great question.,

3. Root of Jesse

Root of Jesse Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord Supporter CF Ambassadors

+3,136
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    But the first pope.

4. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,242
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    The Pope is a bishop, is he not? So no, Peter is an Apostle, not a bishop/pope.

5. Lost4words

Lost4words Like a puppy, i need guidance. Supporter

+2,965
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    :doh:

6. prodromos

+5,242
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I understand why Catholics disagree, but the whole theology of the papacy being built on Peter has been retroactively applied. Anyway, this is not the thread to discuss this.

7. Lost4words

Lost4words Like a puppy, i need guidance. Supporter

+2,965
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Exactly, so there was no need for you to bring it up in thread no:66 above :doh:

8. prodromos

+5,242
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I brought it up in post #28 in response to a question. It was Jesse who wanted to argue with one of those "just so" statements.

9. Root of Jesse

+3,136
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Apostles were the first bishops. Peter was the bishop of Antioch, then the Bishop of Rome. James was the bishop of Jerusalem. And so on. But Popes don't need to be bishops to be pope, though that is generally the way they are chosen. In fact, you don't have to be a priest to be named a bishop, either, though it is generally done that way.
    The Pope is the head of the Universal Christian Church (whether or not you recognize that fact). Jesus named Peter the head of the Church, and so he was.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Root of Jesse

+3,136
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    It has not been retroactively applied, other than what we call him. We didn't call Peter 'pope', but there is a clear succession from Peter to Francis today. What title he held is of no consequence. I know it is true that the function of pope has changed. That happened when Constantine moved his capital to Constantinople an left government of Rome to the only knowledgeable left. The Church filled the void, and the Pope became governor of Rome and surrounds, until WWII or somewhat before. So the job of the pope changed, sadly, but what his responsibilities are to the flock has never changed-feed my sheep, tend my lambs, feed my sheep.

11. Neostarwcc

Neostarwcc Eternal life is a free gift. Amen. Supporter

+2,250
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Gregory the great. He wrote many things that are interesting.

12. Ayenew

Ayenew New Member

+17
    Ethiopia
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    Thank you for your comprehensive response. I agree with you in all except that I don't think HH has any problem of properly understanding Deification (Theosis). He simply got it hard to accept (I know it may be improper to say so, but that's what I feel and what one can see from his writings). And...so do I. I even doubt whether Theosis is really in the OO theology. I hope we will discuss more on it in a proper thread.