Anti-Christ European Who is the harlot (harlot) in Revelation 17?

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Well the experts on this subject have given us two front runners 1. The Catholic Church or 2. Isreal

But Im keeping my eye on the aitheists lol

(As you can tell I don't know what I am talking about)

Experts! lol

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Some say the 'Harlot' is a City.

Rome has been mentioned but the Vatican sits on a different part of Rome than the 7 hills are! They are on the other side of the river!

Jerusalem has also been mentioned as the Harlot!

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 17:1-2 tells us, “Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and talked with me, saying to me, ‘Come, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters, with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication.’” Revelation 17:5 goes on to say, “And on her forehead a name was written: MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.” Who is this “harlot of Babylon” and what is “mystery Babylon”?

Revelation 17:3 gives this description: “Then the angel carried me away in the Spirit into a desert. There I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast that was covered with blasphemous names and had seven heads and ten horns.” The beast mentioned in this verse is the same beast as in Revelation chapter 13:1, “And I saw a beast coming out of the sea. He had ten horns and seven heads, with ten crowns on his horns, and on each head a blasphemous name.” The beast in Revelation chapter 13 is understood to refer to the Antichrist, the man of lawlessness (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4; Daniel 9:27). So, the harlot of Babylon, whoever it is, is closely affiliated with the end-times Antichrist.

The fact that the harlot of Babylon is referred to as a mystery means that we cannot be completely certain as to her identity. The passage does give us some clues, however. Revelation 17:9 explains, “This calls for a mind with wisdom. The seven heads are seven hills on which the woman sits.” Many commentators link this passage with the Roman Catholic Church because in ancient times, the city of Rome was known as “the city on seven hills” because there are seven prominent hills that surround the city. However, verse 10 goes on to explain that the seven hills represent 7 kings or kingdoms, five of which have fallen, one that is and one that is to come. Therefore, the "harlot of Babylon" cannot refer exclusively to Rome. Revelation 17:15 tells us, “Then the angel said to me, ‘The waters you saw, where the prostitute sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations and languages.’” The harlot of Babylon will have great worldwide influence over people and nations. Verses 10-14 describe a series of eight and then ten kings who affiliate with the beast. The harlot of Babylon will at one time have control over these kings (Revelation 17:18), but at some point the kings will turn on her and destroy her (Revelation 17:16).

So, can the mystery of the harlot of Babylon be solved? Yes, at least partially. The harlot of Babylon is an evil world system, controlled by the Antichrist, during the last days before Jesus’ return. The harlot of Babylon also has religious connotations – spiritual adultery with the beast being the focus of an ungodly, end-times religious system.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some say the 'Harlot' is a City.

Rome has been mentioned but the Vatican sits on a different part of Rome than the 7 hills are! They are on the other side of the river!

Jerusalem has also been mentioned as the Harlot!
See, for the record I did defend the catholic church in post 109

Upvote 0

Tina W

Dec 24, 2014
Arizona, USA
✟20,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well the experts on this subject have given us two front runners 1. The Catholic Church or 2. Isreal

But Im keeping my eye on the aitheists lol

(As you can tell I don't know what I am talking about)

LOL! I like the atheists idea! :D

Upvote 0

ihavefoundgod951

Mar 4, 2014
✟11,909.00
Faith
Christian
Revelation 17:1-2 tells us, “Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and talked with me, saying to me, ‘Come, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters, with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication.’” Revelation 17:5 goes on to say, “And on her forehead a name was written: MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.” Who is this “harlot of Babylon” and what is “mystery Babylon”?

Revelation 17:3 gives this description: “Then the angel carried me away in the Spirit into a desert. There I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast that was covered with blasphemous names and had seven heads and ten horns.” The beast mentioned in this verse is the same beast as in Revelation chapter 13:1, “And I saw a beast coming out of the sea. He had ten horns and seven heads, with ten crowns on his horns, and on each head a blasphemous name.” The beast in Revelation chapter 13 is understood to refer to the Antichrist, the man of lawlessness (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4; Daniel 9:27). So, the harlot of Babylon, whoever it is, is closely affiliated with the end-times Antichrist.

The fact that the harlot of Babylon is referred to as a mystery means that we cannot be completely certain as to her identity. The passage does give us some clues, however. Revelation 17:9 explains, “This calls for a mind with wisdom. The seven heads are seven hills on which the woman sits.” Many commentators link this passage with the Roman Catholic Church because in ancient times, the city of Rome was known as “the city on seven hills” because there are seven prominent hills that surround the city. However, verse 10 goes on to explain that the seven hills represent 7 kings or kingdoms, five of which have fallen, one that is and one that is to come. Therefore, the "harlot of Babylon" cannot refer exclusively to Rome. Revelation 17:15 tells us, “Then the angel said to me, ‘The waters you saw, where the prostitute sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations and languages.’” The harlot of Babylon will have great worldwide influence over people and nations. Verses 10-14 describe a series of eight and then ten kings who affiliate with the beast. The harlot of Babylon will at one time have control over these kings (Revelation 17:18), but at some point the kings will turn on her and destroy her (Revelation 17:16).

So, can the mystery of the harlot of Babylon be solved? Yes, at least partially. The harlot of Babylon is an evil world system, controlled by the Antichrist, during the last days before Jesus’ return. The harlot of Babylon also has religious connotations – spiritual adultery with the beast being the focus of an ungodly, end-times religious system.
Darwinism?

Upvote 0

ihavefoundgod951

Mar 4, 2014
✟11,909.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think it's the Catholics, Jesus said "the gates of hell will not prevail" now the enemy is at the gate, but it will not prevail. If it gets close to doing so Jesus will return (so says scripture)

The devil is a liar, he wants you to believe it is anyone but who it really is!

The truth hurts, that's why people get persecuted for the truth, because the truth hurts.

The "truth" is the word and the word is God

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ihavefoundgod951

Mar 4, 2014
✟11,909.00
Faith
Christian
Book of Enoch

Chapter 24

I went from there to another place, and saw a mountain of fire flashing both by day and night. I proceeded towards it; and perceived seven splendid mountains, which were all different from each other.

2Their stones were brilliant and beautiful; all were brilliant and splendid to behold; and beautiful was their surface. Three mountainswere towards the east, and strengthened by being placed one upon another; and three were towards the south, strengthened in a similar manner. There were likewise deep valleys, which did not approach each other. And the seventh mountain was in the midst of them. In length they all resembled the seat of a throne, and odoriferous trees surrounded them.

3Among these there was a tree of an unceasing smell; nor of those which were in Eden was there one of all the fragrant trees which smelt like this. Its leaf, its flower, and its bark never withered, and its fruit was beautiful.

4Its fruit resembled the cluster of the palm. I exclaimed, Behold! This tree is goodly in aspect, pleasing in its leaf, and the sight of its fruit is delightful to the eye. Then Michael, one of the holy and glorious angels who were with me, and one who presided over them, answered,

5And said: Enoch, why do you inquire respecting the odour of this tree?

6Why are you inquisitive to know it?

7Then I, Enoch, replied to him, and said, Concerning everything I am desirous of instruction, but particularly concerning this tree.

8He answered me, saying, That mountain which you behold, the extent of whose head resembles the seat of the Lord, will be the seat on which shall sit the holy and great Lord of glory, the everlasting King, when he shall come and descend to visit the earth with goodness.

9And that tree of an agreeable smell, not one of carnal odor, there shall be no power to touch, until the period of the great judgment. When all shall be punished and consumed for ever, this shall be bestowed on the righteous and humble. The fruit of the tree shall be given to the elect. For towards the north life shall be planted in the holy place, towards the habitation of the everlasting King.

10Then shall they greatly rejoice and exult in the Holy One. The sweet odor shall enter into their bones; and they shall live a long life on the earth as your forefathers have lived; neither in their days shall sorrow, distress, trouble, and punishment afflict them.

11And I blessed the Lord of glory, the everlasting King, because He has prepared this tree for the saints, formed it, and declared that He would give it to them.

Upvote 0

ihavefoundgod951

Mar 4, 2014
✟11,909.00
Faith
Christian
Book of Enoch

Chapter 24

I went from there to another place, and saw a mountain of fire flashing both by day and night. I proceeded towards it; and perceived seven splendid mountains, which were all different from each other.

2Their stones were brilliant and beautiful; all were brilliant and splendid to behold; and beautiful was their surface. Three mountainswere towards the east, and strengthened by being placed one upon another; and three were towards the south, strengthened in a similar manner. There were likewise deep valleys, which did not approach each other. And the seventh mountain was in the midst of them. In length they all resembled the seat of a throne, and odoriferous trees surrounded them.

3Among these there was a tree of an unceasing smell; nor of those which were in Eden was there one of all the fragrant trees which smelt like this. Its leaf, its flower, and its bark never withered, and its fruit was beautiful.

4Its fruit resembled the cluster of the palm. I exclaimed, Behold! This tree is goodly in aspect, pleasing in its leaf, and the sight of its fruit is delightful to the eye. Then Michael, one of the holy and glorious angels who were with me, and one who presided over them, answered,

5And said: Enoch, why do you inquire respecting the odour of this tree?

6Why are you inquisitive to know it?

7Then I, Enoch, replied to him, and said, Concerning everything I am desirous of instruction, but particularly concerning this tree.

8He answered me, saying, That mountain which you behold, the extent of whose head resembles the seat of the Lord, will be the seat on which shall sit the holy and great Lord of glory, the everlasting King, when he shall come and descend to visit the earth with goodness.

9And that tree of an agreeable smell, not one of carnal odor, there shall be no power to touch, until the period of the great judgment. When all shall be punished and consumed for ever, this shall be bestowed on the righteous and humble. The fruit of the tree shall be given to the elect. For towards the north life shall be planted in the holy place, towards the habitation of the everlasting King.

10Then shall they greatly rejoice and exult in the Holy One. The sweet odor shall enter into their bones; and they shall live a long life on the earth as your forefathers have lived; neither in their days shall sorrow, distress, trouble, and punishment afflict them.

11And I blessed the Lord of glory, the everlasting King, because He has prepared this tree for the saints, formed it, and declared that He would give it to them.
sorry could be wrong about this one, think this is talking about heaven.

My bad

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In a generic sense, I believe the harlot represents the lot of humanity that is not in communion with God while the beast represents the entire system humanity has built for itself to 'ride on'... and unfortunately I believe we are about to witness the mortal wound of this beast.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't think it's the Catholics, Jesus said "the gates of hell will not prevail" now the enemy is at the gate, but it will not prevail. If it gets close to doing so Jesus will return (so says scripture)

The devil is a liar, he wants you to believe it is anyone but who it really is!

The truth hurts, that's why people get persecuted for the truth, because the truth hurts.

The "truth" is the word and the word is God

I agree. Jesus would never tell an untruth. The gates of Hell would never prevail against Our Lords Church.

Upvote 0

Dave Watchman

Jan 10, 2014
✟67,573.00
Faith
Christian
In a generic sense, I believe the harlot represents the lot of humanity that is not in communion with God while the beast represents the entire system humanity has built for itself to 'ride on'...

That's not bad. Like the members belonging to a group. A great city is made up of citi - zens.

and unfortunately I believe we are about to witness the mortal wound of this beast.

We are about to witness the mortal wound of this beast? That would be fun. I wonder how do you think that you know? I'm afraid that we're already at the other end of the "mortal wound". The "mortal wound" was in February 1798, we are about to witness: "but the fatal wound had been healed".

The harlot is tough to explain because she's not here yet. She rides and therefore directs or steers the first beast that rises from the sea. When she arrives it will be bad news for Christians again because she will supply the necessary teeth to the first beast.

A woman in Revelation is a church. I am a virgin who is not defiled by women, it means that I've never been a member of any church group. The Bride of Christ is a good woman, the Harlot is a bad woman. The Harlot will be the religious authority, image of the first beast, or Lucifer's theocratic end time church/state. The harlot will appear after the Antichrist because it is he who is given the power to set her up and it will be he who forces us to worship her image. He gives his "breath" to the image.

The "earth" who helped the woman is America who became the "holy place" after 1798. The founding fathers made sure that church and state were separate. This was also how God organized the governmental process during the Exodus. Moses was in charge of the "laws" and Aaron was responsible for the Temple. Unfortunately, this "earth" is the same place where the second beast will rise from. He is the Antichrist.

So we've got: 1.) the sea beast, 2.) the earth beast and 3.) the image of the first beast. The sea beast has seven heads with names of blasphemy written on them (religion), and ten horns (kings). That's a combination of church and state right? Keep in mind that the dragon gives his power and his great authority to this 1st sea beast.

Next the earth beast rises who exercises all the authority of the first beast, he forces the world to worship the first beast and causes fire to come down from heaven to the earth. Then this second beast will order the world to set up an image in honor of the 1st beast who was wounded by the sword and yet lived. This image will be our end time harlot, she will be a carbon copy image of the church from the dark ages who had the civil authority over the nations. Just like back in the middle ages when the church had the legal power to knock on our front door, charge us with heresy and then burn us at the stake. I believe that this 2nd earth beast who has two horns like a lamb but speaks like a dragon IS the dragon or Lucifer in the form of a man.

Everything hums along fine for the harlot and the ten kings of end time Babylon during the 42 months of their authority. Then in the days of the trumpet call to be sounded by the 7th angel things take a bad turn for them. Michael stands up for His people. Jesus takes His great power and begins to reign. Babylon watches as the 144,000 are resurrected. Then all of the rest of God's people are raised up while the wicked watch on in terror.

Now while the kingdom of the beast is suffering from the painful sores of the 1st vial, the second beast (Lucifer) is now powerless to do anything about it. The ten kings can't understand why this man who stood on the mount of the congregation and called himself God cannot stop these painful and destructive judgments. Lucifer will send his 3 best demons to meet with the ten kings. They will be told that the individual claiming to be Jesus (God) was actually Lucifer in disguise and that the real God is on His way to kill them all. Their only chance at survival is to combine all their forces at a place called Armageddon and attempt to kill the Creator as He arrives. The ten kings will hate the harlot now and proceed to sever their relationship (with extreme prejudice) which they've enjoyed for the past 42 months.

"and their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city that symbolically is called Sodom and Egypt, where their Lord was crucified."

"The woman you saw is the great city that rules over the kings of the earth.”

Great cities are composed of citi - zens. Or as you say "the lot of humanity that is not in communion with God".

From Ch.9,Pg.32 Larry Wilson, Jesus' Final Victory:

The phrase “the great city that is figuratively called Sodom and
Egypt, where also their Lord was crucified” is symbolic and the
Bible defines this symbol with a relevant text.
The Bible says “the woman is the great city that rules over the kings of
the Earth.”The book of Revelation contrasts two women.
One is pure and gives birth to the Savior of the world.
The other woman is a wealthy harlot. The pure woman represents
the people of God (His holy city). The harlot represents
the wicked (a great city containing people who worship Lucifer).

The pure woman is called “the bride of Christ.” The corrupt
woman is called “Mystery, Babylon the Great, the Mother of
Prostitutes and of the Abominations of the Earth.” The harlot
has no conscience. She sits on a beast having seven heads and
ten horns (Babylon), drinking the blood of God’s prophets and
saints.

Corporately speaking, the wicked who join Lucifer’s
theocracy will make up “the great city.” When the Bible says
the bodies of the Two Witnesses will lie in the street of the great
city (the harlot), the Bible is not talking about a geographical
location. It is talking about a worldwide group of defiant people
described as Sodom (sexual perverts), Egypt (hard hearts) and
Jerusalem (people who rejected the clearest evidences of truth).

https://wake-up.org/Commentary/Chapter9.pdf

Upvote 0

Dave Watchman

Jan 10, 2014
✟67,573.00
Faith
Christian
Jerusalem is the harlot.

She can be if you want her to be.

“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it!

"from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah the son of Barachiah, whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar."

Then after Jesus spoke these words an estimated 75 million saints were killed in the Fox book style by the Holy Roman Church during the dark ages of Europe.

Jerusalem was long gone at that time.

The fifth seal serves as a line of demarcation which separates two groups of martyred saints which occupy two different prophetic time periods from the book of Revelation.

We have been lucky to have been living in the intermission that separates these two unfortunate times.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0