Who here is a Christian fundamentalist?

Are you a Christian fundamentalist defined by the forum?

• Yes

• No

• Almost

• Nowhere near

• Need more time to study the subject

Results are only viewable after voting.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeah I do.

I actually never took mine down last year. (I don't usually leave the tree up all year round!) This past year has been kind of tough (lot of medical stuff happening with my son) and it was just one of those things I "never really got to".

Also though, I realized when I plugged it back in the lights were dead. That was probably the cat. She tends to chew on wires. So, I spent a good chunk of time taking the old lights off so I could put new lights on. It was one of those "tree comes pre-lit" scenarios and I was glad to figure out how to get the lights off of it. (That I didn't have to get a new tree.) It's not a very big tree. It sits on a table.

I also replaced some other decorations. The tree skirt, the greenery on the fireplace mantel, and a couple other decorations.

I've also got most of my Christmas shopping done; (other than what am I going to stick in the stockings). I got a couple of collector's figures from the Destiny video game for my son; but they aren't going to be released until February. So, I've bought a couple of small things and I might get him a Lego set too.

Other then that; Christmas is usually pretty low key around here.
:heart: How is your son?

i've got a tree, in sections, in a couple of boxes that i need to dig out of the closet. It's a large utility closet....and i gotta wonder how all that stuff got in there hahaaa

Low key Christmases are the best. All of the hysteria that erupts around the holidays i try to avoid.

Huggs and prayers for your son and you too. (((hug)))

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A Fundamentalist Christian is a born again believer in Lord Jesus Christ who:
Believes in:-
The inerrancy of the Bible
The literal nature of the biblical accounts, especially regarding Christ's miracles and the Creation account in Genesis
The virgin birth of Christ
The bodily resurrection and physical return of Christ
The substitutionary atonement of Christ on the cross.

I'm a fundamentalist on these basic fundamental aspecs of Christianity.

• Agree
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Believes in:-
The inerrancy of the Bible
The literal nature of the biblical accounts, especially regarding Christ's miracles and the Creation account in Genesis
The virgin birth of Christ
The bodily resurrection and physical return of Christ
The substitutionary atonement of Christ on the cross.

I'm a fundamentalist on these basic fundamental aspecs of Christianity.

And the Trinity. And this part of the forum definition I presume? Very important:

Homosexuality and Same Sex Marriage:
Homosexuality and same sex marriage may be discussed in this forum, however, no promotion of these topics is allowed. Promotion is defined as encouragement of the progress, growth, or acceptance of something including advertising and publicity.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Evan Jellicoe

Aug 2, 2016
downstate Illinois
✟22,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe in contending for the faith. However, what I see self-described as contending for the faith too often looks more like contending for a particular church view or legalistic interpretation. In particular, I totally reject the notion that contending for the faith includes demanding that all true Christians must vote for a particular American political party. Many ordinary Christians, and a few pastors, seem to actively promote this view. There is no political requirement in any church's statement of faith that I have ever seen.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know if people would describe me as fundamentalist.

I don't have a deep knowledge of what "inerrant, infallible, and verbally Inspired" means.
I think the bible is very deep, spiritual literature. I think it is inspired by God. I don't think it is correctly interpreted all the time and I don't believe it's wielded correctly all the time either.
For example - some will read Genesis creation story and think it's message is to tell you how the world was created - so they think it's was made in "x" days. I don't think that was the point of the story - and that's not what I think God wants us to know in that story.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if people would describe me as fundamentalist.

I don't have a deep knowledge of what "inerrant, infallible, and verbally Inspired" means.
I think the bible is very deep, spiritual literature. I think it is inspired by God. I don't think it is correctly interpreted all the time and I don't believe it's wielded correctly all the time either.
For example - some will read Genesis creation story and think it's message is to tell you how the world was created - so they think it's was made in "x" days. I don't think that was the point of the story - and that's not what I think God wants us to know in that story.
Hi. The main problem with this issue -- "fundamentalism" -- is that people don't have a clear view of what the term means. And it's made worse by people who are unsympathetic to what they think it refers to and have taken to using the word as an insult.

But the term actually has remained basically the same since its start over a century ago, and you can find essentially that same definition by consulting the "Statement of Purpose" for this subforum here on CF.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
.......is that people don't have a clear view of what the term means. And it's made worse by people who are unsympathetic to what they think it refers to and have taken to using the word as an insult.
I suppose lots of people perceive Christians / Christian fundamentalists - to be hypocritical - hiding hatred in their hearts.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's part of the stereotyping that goes on. But only part of it.
It would be interesting to know just how significant it is. I'd like to know what people really think of christians, especially in the UK.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
It would be interesting to know just how significant it is. I'd like to know what people really think of christians, especially in the UK.

Well, you'll know based on what they think of a sovereign God. Most people are agreeable to a god who "loves everyone"; but as soon as God expresses some expectations in regards to our motivations and behavior, you'll see the tune changes pretty quickly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, you'll know based on what they think of a sovereign God. Most people are agreeable to a god who "loves everyone"; but as soon as God expresses some expectations in regards to our motivations and behavior, you'll see the tune changes pretty quickly.
I've only heard of one person in my life who had an experience of God and said "No". He told God he wasn't ready yet and that was the end of the experience. He said after that he could feel he was being looked after.
I've seen a lot of people behave as you described, but only against Christian's behaving a certain way. This makes me think those people weren't against God - but rather against that person and their method.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I've only heard of one person in my life who had an experience of God and said "No". He told God he wasn't ready yet and that was the end of the experience. He said after that he could feel he was being looked after.
I've seen a lot of people behave as you described, but only against Christian's behaving a certain way. This makes me think those people weren't against God - but rather against that person and their method.

The key here is "sovereign God". As soon as God declares that only those who are elect become saved; that's usually where you meet the opposition.

The god who "loves everyone" and gives everyone control of their destiny with a "free will" is much more palatable to the pride of man.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The key here is "sovereign God". As soon as God declares that only those who are elect become saved; that's usually where you meet the opposition.

The god who "loves everyone" and gives everyone control of their destiny with a "free will" is much more palatable to the pride of man.
I think the key here is 1) how Christian's and secular people interact, 2) what both sides really have in their hearts as motives. 3) What's actually being promoted from the bible, and, said about God or faith.

But yes - if you said we get God's love, you don't, and there is nothing you can do about it - I expect people will oppose that person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟46,421.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scriptura Primera And not Sola Scriptura...
God is Sovereign but restrains himself from making robots. But the path that all men are on is decided by God...there is no thwarting God.
Many are called to life...many reject that call. Few...very few are chosen to lead. I've seen thousands follow those leaders.
Zeal? Salt is good...so is grace. I season my words with grace AND zeal.

So I'm an almost fundamentalist...
I believe in the miracle that is scripture...but it takes proper Hermeneutics to understand what is being related. But that doesn't mean that there wasn't a literal Adam and that there was a flood...and Jesus died and rose from the dead.
Jesus ascended to Heaven and is coming back; not as a lowly person but as the Sovereign of the Universe He is. Not with anything to prove but He is coming back to pick up His Kids... Good luck on that day.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Scriptura Primera And not Sola Scriptura...
God is Sovereign but restrains himself from making robots. But the path that all men are on is decided by God...there is no thwarting God.
Many are called to life...many reject that call. Few...very few are chosen to lead. I've seen thousands follow those leaders.
Zeal? Salt is good...so is grace. I season my words with grace AND zeal.

So I'm an almost fundamentalist...
I believe in the miracle that is scripture...but it takes proper Hermeneutics to understand what is being related. But that doesn't mean that there wasn't a literal Adam and that there was a flood...and Jesus died and rose from the dead.
Jesus ascended to Heaven and is coming back; not as a lowly person but as the Sovereign of the Universe He is. Not with anything to prove but He is coming back to pick up His Kids... Good luck on that day.
The literal "Adam" bit is interesting.

The Bible Project says "Adam" means humanity. It's not the name of a man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟46,421.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The literal "Adam" bit is interesting.

The Bible Project says "Adam" means humanity. It's not the name of a man.
There was a literal guy named Adam that was as the title Adam suggests.

It's one of those things that comes from hard core study of the scriptures...there are places where the scriptures are very literal and places with hyperbole and others metaphoric...
Many are confused and lead others astray with their teaching. It's not easy to know the difference.
I'm not a fundamentalist but am almost there.

• Agree
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There was a literal guy named Adam that was as the title Adam suggests.

It's one of those things that comes from hard core study of the scriptures...there are places where the scriptures are very literal and places with hyperbole and others metaphoric...
Many are confused and lead others astray with their teaching. It's not easy to know the difference.
I'm not a fundamentalist but am almost there.
I guess you have to pick who you believe and rely on God's grace for the mistakes you make along the way.
Between now and then - I suppose one could try as hard as possible to understand the truth from the scriptures and about them.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟46,421.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess you have to pick who you believe and rely on God's grace for the mistakes you make along the way.
Between now and then - I suppose one could try as hard as possible to understand the truth from the scriptures and about them.

It's not impossible... just difficult.
But even the last scriptures were written almost 2,000 years ago and we're started being written over 3500 years ago
Life and lifestyles and cultural norms were really different then. So it takes a bit of learning. Things were written in a very concentrated format because pen, ink, and especially paper were hard to come by.
Unpacking all that to where we might say something similar today takes a bit.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
But yes - if you said we get God's love, you don't, and there is nothing you can do about it - I expect people will oppose that person.

And even if I said; Yeah, I got God's love. I don't know why and I don't know if you will get it or not. Would you still oppose me?

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And even if I said; Yeah, I got God's love. I don't know why and I don't know if you will get it or not. Would you still oppose me?
Can you clarify your position please?

What I think you're saying is: People are OK with a "sugary sweet" God - but not ok with the side of God that requires the hard changes in your own life.

Am I understanding your argument correctly?

Upvote 0