Who here is a Christian fundamentalist?

Are you a Christian fundamentalist defined by the forum?

• Yes

• No

• Almost

• Nowhere near

• Need more time to study the subject

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Fundamentalist by the forum rules below:

A Fundamentalist Christian is a born again believer in Lord Jesus Christ who:
  1. Maintains an immovable allegiance to the inerrant, infallible, and verbally Inspired Bible;
  2. Believes whatever the Bible says is so;
  3. Judges all things by the Bible, and is judged only by the Bible, aka - "Sola Scriptura";
  4. Affirms the foundational truths of the historic Christian Faith:
    a. The doctrine of the Trinity
    b. The incarnation, virgin birth, substitutionary atonement, bodily resurrection, ascension into Heaven, and Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ
    c. The new birth through regeneration of the Holy Spirit
    d. The resurrection of saints to life eternal
    e. The resurrection of the ungodly to final judgment and eternal death
    f. The fellowship of the saints, who are the body of Christ;
  5. Practices fidelity to that faith, and endeavors to preach it to every creature;
  6. Exposes and separates from all ecclesiastical denial of that Faith, compromise with error, and apostasy from the Truth; and
  7. Earnestly contends for the Faith once delivered.
  8. Therefore, Fundamentalism is a militant orthodoxy with a soulwinning zeal. While Fundamentalists may differ on certain interpretations of Scripture, we join in unity of heart and common purpose for the defense of the Faith and the preaching of the Gospel, without compromise or division.
Thus a Fundamentalist can be from quite a few Protestant denominations, even nondenominational. Those that defer to a view that sacred tradition is equal to scripture (not sola scriptura) would not. For more information, see Fundamentalism.

Homosexuality and Same Sex Marriage:
Homosexuality and same sex marriage may be discussed in this forum, however, no promotion of these topics is allowed. Promotion is defined as encouragement of the progress, growth, or acceptance of something including advertising and publicity.

I would say that describes me accurately. Anyone else?

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think many are but don't claim the title because of "Fundamentalism" equalling "radicalized" in the minds of many.
Perhaps that is why we are admonished by the living God right here in this verse to heed His voice rather than "man's" or man's "opinions". There are many many more verses that emphasize the same exact thing, but let's just focus on this one for now:

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil." ~Pr 3:5-7

Now, my inclination is to believe these verses, and thus taking God at His Word (believing Him, which is what Abraham did, and thus why God called Abraham His "friend").

Is that being "fundamentalist"?

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I would fall under your definition of "fundamentalist".

I would agree with @Dave L that the word tends to evoke negative reactions in society in general.

For me personally also; those who claim the title of "fundamentalist" tend to evoke images of people who are also rather legalistic. My personal experience though.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps that is why we are admonished by the living God right here in this verse to heed His voice rather than "man's" or man's "opinions". There are many many more verses that emphasize the same exact thing, but let's just focus on this one for now:

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil." ~Pr 3:5-7

Now, my inclination is to believe these verses, and thus taking God at His Word (believing Him, which is what Abraham did, and thus why God called Abraham His "friend").

HI Brinny!

:clap::ebil::wave::wave::wave:

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I stir up lots more trouble telling people I'm a Calvinist than just saying Christian. So unless necessary, I remain silent.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
HI Brinny!

:clap::ebil::wave::wave::wave:

Hi!!!! Hahaaaa! What a DELIGHTFUL greeting!!!!
running-around-smiley-emoticon.gif

Hey, ya' got yer tree up yet?

iu

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I stir up lots more trouble telling people I'm a Calvinist than just saying Christian. So unless necessary, I remain silent.

If you are CRYSTAL CLEAR that it lines up with God's Word, and thus the Holy Spirit guides your thoughts and words, why be silent, brother?

Are we not to be salt and light, and our words tempered with God's own grace and thus a magnet for ears longing to and needing to hear the truth like a deer in a parched and dry desert?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I too agree with Dave L's point in post #2. However, I also think that few people--even those who call themselves Fundamentalists--see the term as meaning what it originally meant.

Far from being a body of people united on every doctrine, it started out to mean an inter-denominational movement aimed at countering religious liberalism, even if that meant bringing together people who disagreed on a lot of the items that Christians argue over, so long as that didn't include the absolute "fundamentals" of the faith that are enumerated in the statement that's included in the OP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
A bottom line comes to mind as i think on and ponder on what "fundamentalism" is, and as i think on this thread, and that is "fear" and what is the "proper fear" that we MUST all possess if we are to KNOW the living God?

For it is written in Proverbs 9:10 that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. iT is also written that the "fear of man" is a "snare" and our very "downfall".

This comes to mind:

iu

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I too agree with Dave L's point. However, I also think that few people--even those who call themselves Fundamentalists--see the term as meaning what it originally meant.

Far from being a body of people united on every doctrine, it started out to mean an inter-denominational movement aimed at countering religious liberalism, even if that meant bringing together people who disagreed on a lot of the items that Christians argue over, so long as that didn't include the absolute "fundamentals" of the faith that are enumerated in the statement that's included in the OP.

Ok but the thread is not about the past meaning or events of fundamentalism. The thread is about the current identity of Christians and who views themselves as a fundamentalist,defined by the forum.

Do you fit that description? That's the question the thread is asking?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ok but the thread is not about the past meaning or events of fundamentalism. The thread is about the current identity of Christians and who views themselves as a fundamentalist,defined by the forum.
The forum's definition is fine; it is taken from the Fundamentalists' historic statement. As has been noted by others before me, what is taken by the average person to be the meaning of "Fundamentalism" nowadays, however, is quite different and, in most cases, is the exact opposite of that.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Fundamentalist by the forum rules below:

A Fundamentalist Christian is a born again believer in Lord Jesus Christ who:
  1. Maintains an immovable allegiance to the inerrant, infallible, and verbally Inspired Bible;
  2. Believes whatever the Bible says is so;
  3. Judges all things by the Bible, and is judged only by the Bible, aka - "Sola Scriptura";
  4. Affirms the foundational truths of the historic Christian Faith:
    a. The doctrine of the Trinity
    b. The incarnation, virgin birth, substitutionary atonement, bodily resurrection, ascension into Heaven, and Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ
    c. The new birth through regeneration of the Holy Spirit
    d. The resurrection of saints to life eternal
    e. The resurrection of the ungodly to final judgment and eternal death
    f. The fellowship of the saints, who are the body of Christ;
  5. Practices fidelity to that faith, and endeavors to preach it to every creature;
  6. Exposes and separates from all ecclesiastical denial of that Faith, compromise with error, and apostasy from the Truth; and
  7. Earnestly contends for the Faith once delivered.
  8. Therefore, Fundamentalism is a militant orthodoxy with a soulwinning zeal. While Fundamentalists may differ on certain interpretations of Scripture, we join in unity of heart and common purpose for the defense of the Faith and the preaching of the Gospel, without compromise or division.
Thus a Fundamentalist can be from quite a few Protestant denominations, even nondenominational. Those that defer to a view that sacred tradition is equal to scripture (not sola scriptura) would not. For more information, see Fundamentalism.

Homosexuality and Same Sex Marriage:
Homosexuality and same sex marriage may be discussed in this forum, however, no promotion of these topics is allowed. Promotion is defined as encouragement of the progress, growth, or acceptance of something including advertising and publicity.

I would say that describes me accurately. Anyone else?

I kind of thought that I was a Christian funamentalist but........

I am of the belief that near death experience accounts may fulfill this promise which means that maybe I am not????

Jhn 16:25 - These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I kind of thought that I was a Christian funamentalist but........

I am of the belief that near death experience accounts may fulfill this promise which means that maybe I am not????

Jhn 16:25 - These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.

I think that refers to the fact the Apostles often did not understand what Christ was saying to them,including his foreknowledge of the cross. This verse is continuation of your quoted scripture:

John 16:29
29 His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ok but the thread is not about the past meaning or events of fundamentalism.
The statement we read here is essentially the statement of the people who started Fundamentalism and it's been little changed through the years. Other people have derived their own view of what Fundamentalism is like, but Fundamentalism remains Fundamentalism.

Do you fit that description? That's the question the thread is asking?
I agree. That IS the question, so once again I am wondering what the objection to it is. I entered the discussion by saying that Dave was right that many people have a bad impression of Fundamentalists and have their own view of what the term means, but that we have what the official definition is and has always been. As for myself, I think I do meet the definition, but again, I have almost nothing in common with what the average person thinks that Fundamentalism is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think that refers to the fact the Apostles often did not understand what Christ was saying to them,including his foreknowledge of the cross. This verse is continuation of your quoted scripture:

John 16:29
29 His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb.

Now I could be wrong.....
but I believe that IF.....
in at least many cases Messiah Yeshua - Jesus is reviewing lives with Christians or others who report having a brush with death plus a near death experience..... then.......

..... what is shown to those Christians could well be a modern clarification of scripture to make the scriptures more understandable.

Here is what I consider a brilliant update on many scriptures in Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and the minor prophets.

(Howard Storm, My Descent Into Death):

The image of the future that they gave me then, and it was their image, not one that I created, surprised me. My image had previously been sort of like Star Wars, where everything was space age, plastics, and technology.

The future that they showed me was almost no technology at all. What everybody, absolutely everybody, in this euphoric future spent most of their time doing was raising children. The chief concern of people was children, and everybody considered children to be the most precious commodity in the world.

And when a person became an adult, there was no sense of anxiety, nor hatred, nor competition.

There was this enormous sense of trust and mutual respect. If a person, in this view of the future, became disturbed, then the community of people all cared about the disturbed person falling away from the harmony of the group. Spiritually, through prayer and love, the others would elevate the afflicted person.

What people did with the rest of their time was that they gardened, with almost no physical effort. They showed me that plants, with prayer, would produce huge fruits and vegetables.

People, in unison, could control the climate of the planet through prayer. Everybody would work with mutual trust and the people would call the rain, when needed, and the sun to shine.

Animals lived with people, in harmony.

People, in this best of all worlds, weren't interested in knowledge; they were interested in wisdom. This was because they were in a position where anything they needed to know, in the knowledge category, they could receive simply through prayer. Everything, to them, was solvable. They could do anything they wanted to do.

In this future, people had no wanderlust, because they could, spiritually, communicate with everyone else in the world. There was no need to go elsewhere. They were so engrossed with where they were and the people around them that they didn't have to go on vacation. Vacation from what? They were completely fulfilled and happy.

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Now I could be wrong.....
but I believe that IF.....
in at least many cases Messiah Yeshua - Jesus is reviewing lives with Christians or others who report having a brush with death plus a near death experience..... then.......

..... what is shown to those Christians could well be a modern clarification of scripture to make the scriptures more understandable.

Here is what I consider a brilliant update on many scriptures in Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and the minor prophets.

Oh I think I know what you're saying. Sort of God speaking to you or a calling etc.

Well the main thing is a personal experience that happens can be legitimate,as long as it does not contradict the scripture. If anybodies spiritual experience is in opposition with scripture at that point you're not really following the God of the Bible are you? Because if God promised to preserve his word and a person contradicts his word they made God a liar. And a just loving God isn't a liar or corrupt is he?

Anyway the fundamentalist definition is there for you to consider,you know what you believe. :)

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

I get this too. But of course my profile says "reformed". And most people who are familiar with theological terms know what that means.

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Hi!!!! Hahaaaa! What a DELIGHTFUL greeting!!!!
running-around-smiley-emoticon.gif

Hey, ya' got yer tree up yet?

iu

Yeah I do.

I actually never took mine down last year. (I don't usually leave the tree up all year round!) This past year has been kind of tough (lot of medical stuff happening with my son) and it was just one of those things I "never really got to".

Also though, I realized when I plugged it back in the lights were dead. That was probably the cat. She tends to chew on wires. So, I spent a good chunk of time taking the old lights off so I could put new lights on. It was one of those "tree comes pre-lit" scenarios and I was glad to figure out how to get the lights off of it. (That I didn't have to get a new tree.) It's not a very big tree. It sits on a table.

I also replaced some other decorations. The tree skirt, the greenery on the fireplace mantel, and a couple other decorations.

I've also got most of my Christmas shopping done; (other than what am I going to stick in the stockings). I got a couple of collector's figures from the Destiny video game for my son; but they aren't going to be released until February. So, I've bought a couple of small things and I might get him a Lego set too.

Other then that; Christmas is usually pretty low key around here.

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0