• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Who else has succesfully used niacin (vitamin B3) to treat psychosis and hallucinations?

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since October last year I have been using between 2000 and 3000 mg of Niacin in an attempt to treat my life long psychosis.

The interesting thing was that I was in a full-blown psychosis when I started Niacin and with 3000 mg of niacin managed 10 hours sleep after not sleeping for 3 days because of major psychosis in just one day!

I have used Niacin ever since and have stopped taking anti-psychotics because I don't need them anymore because my psychosis is completely treated. The best part is that Niacin doesn't only work better than anti-psychotics, I don't have any bad side effects like with anti-psychotics either.

The only thing that happens is flushing of the skin when saturation levels have been reached. If I don't flush after I take 1000 mg then I take 500 mg more until I flush on 1000 mg again. I take 2000 mg a day unless I don't flush then I take up to 3500 a day. Sometimes I seem to need more than other times according to my flushing skin.

Now I am very interested to hear others who have benefited from supplementing niacin or if people even know about the potential to be cured by it completely like I have been. I have suffered from psychosis and hallucinations since I was a kid and have been hospitalized on many occasions to get my out of major psychosis.

Anyone else who has benefit from this Vitamin?

DoctorYourself.com - Review of VITAMIN B-3 AND SCHIZOPHRENIA

Reactions: Steph23

jaxis

Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2016
Michigan
✟53,030.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Didn't do anything for me I have paranoid schizophrenia bipolar chronic depression anxiety gone fibromyalgia chronic but I'm very happy for you i have had so many psychotic breaks being in 16 mental hospitals and got of a court case not deemed to stand trial. After my first psychotic break at 22 I stayed up nine days two mental hospitals but couldn't work on antipsychotics so I quit fast forward to 27 closing the bar every night workaholic 30 vicodin a day long story stay away from alcohol all narcotics and weed or you will have to take medicationmaybe the rest of your life you fall into the best 33% don't have to take medication 33% take it for quiet a while and get of it 33% yes the last have to take it the rest of there life like me your very blessed man very very very happy for you have a blessed life!!!

Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Didn't do anything for me I have paranoid schizophrenia bipolar chronic depression anxiety gone fibromyalgia chronic but I'm very happy for you i have had so many psychotic breaks being in 16 mental hospitals and got of a court case not deemed to stand trial. After my first psychotic break at 22 I stayed up nine days two mental hospitals but couldn't work on antipsychotics so I quit fast forward to 27 closing the bar every night workaholic 30 vicodin a day long story stay away from alcohol all narcotics and weed or you will have to take medicationmaybe the rest of your life you fall into the best 33% don't have to take medication 33% take it for quiet a while and get of it 33% yes the last have to take it the rest of there life like me your very blessed man very very very happy for you have a blessed life!!!

Thank you for rejoicing with me even though your suffering continues. So sorry to hear you found no relief from your afflictions, as far as psychosis is concerned my sufferings have completely ceased.

My bi-polar I treat with 6x100 mg of 5-HTP, fortified with vitamin B6 and vitamin C, with very good success compared to conventional medicine. It has taken at least 80 percent of my downs away and my manic times have gone altogether though I do get emotionally very sensitive times. It also gives me much more control of myself through my anxious times which are triggered by my P.T.S.D and I never have panic attacks anymore no matter how anxious times press on me. So that is greatest, with my hallucinations gone I reckon that has helped a lot as well. The best part is that it also helps me shed the extra weight I've gained taking psych meds and have no other side effect than an little upset stomach at times.

I agree that for most schizophrenic people excess alcohol or narcotics can cause devastating things to happen in their lives, especially paranoid schizophrenic people can be triggered badly using narcotics. However this is not always true and there are also people who benefit from certain drugs rather than get ill from it.

New research in Australia for example has some interesting news for Schizophrenic people, and I'm not the only one who suffered from psychosis who is excited by such developments.

Now marijuana could be used to TREAT and PREVENT schizophrenia. | Daily Mail Online

Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Since October last year I have been using between 2000 and 3000 mg of Niacin in an attempt to treat my life long psychosis.

The interesting thing was that I was in a full-blown psychosis when I started Niacin and with 3000 mg of niacin managed 10 hours sleep after not sleeping for 3 days because of major psychosis in just one day!

I have used Niacin ever since and have stopped taking anti-psychotics because I don't need them anymore because my psychosis is completely treated. The best part is that Niacin doesn't only work better than anti-psychotics, I don't have any bad side effects like with anti-psychotics either.

The only thing that happens is flushing of the skin when saturation levels have been reached. If I don't flush after I take 1000 mg then I take 500 mg more until I flush on 1000 mg again. I take 2000 mg a day unless I don't flush then I take up to 3500 a day. Sometimes I seem to need more than other times according to my flushing skin.

Now I am very interested to hear others who have benefited from supplementing niacin or if people even know about the potential to be cured by it completely like I have been. I have suffered from psychosis and hallucinations since I was a kid and have been hospitalized on many occasions to get my out of major psychosis.

I might try this if I can get the doctors to stop crawling up my *bleep!

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I might try this if I can get the doctors to stop crawling up my *bleep!

When I started using niacin I simply kept using a lower dosage of my anti-psychotics in a decreasing manner until I was fine without. The whole process took about 3 months I think but I was recovering from a major psychosis at the time, which might explain why it took so long. Plus I don't believe it wise to stop psych meds when we are still unwell.

In the mean time from day one I noticed a fast improvement which only improved as time went on. So I was never in doubt that Niacin was going to be useful in treat my psychosis.

The doctor who found out about niacin reckons good counseling is also an important part of recovery to redirect our thoughts/idea/attitudes/inclinations away from our old psychotic self into the new and healthy one.

Dr. Hoffer's Schizophrenia homepage - Orthomolecular Vitamin Information Centre Inc.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suspect most of the people here have problems that a Flintstone's isn't going to solve.

You could well be right about that most of the time. I don't know how many people will benefit from Niacin. I know I did and I know others have as well. However others haven't it is like that with all remedies I suppose.

I did find that at times I need significantly more niacin than other times. Most of the time 2000mg over 2x1000 a day is fine and I'm completely symptom free when it comes to psychosis or hallucinations, at other times I need as much as 3500 mg a day over 2x1000 and 1x1500 a day and I can barely keep the symptoms at bay - though those racing and distorted and/or confusing thoughts and ideas that always accompany hallucinations seem to stay away hallucinations can still flash by at times.

I know there is a lot of negative stuff on niacin out there, but this is mainly from doctors in pay of big pharmaceutical companies trying to discredit it and not honest research. The initial research was a double blind research - the first of its kind - and came up with very good results. which of course was discredited by big pharma but the fact the Niacin can make very unwell people better again has stoo the test of time.

The account below echoes my own and if you care to read the comments you will find others who have benefited, as well as those who didn't. In this way this account provides some idea about the benefits one can gain.

Schizophrenia cured by Niacin -- update I do need anti psychotics. Niacin alone doesn't helpSchizophrenia cured by Niacin -- update I do need anti psychotics. Niacin alone doesn't help

I have heard of schizophrenic people taking 10,000 mg plus to treat psychotic times, not all the time but at times of major psychotic upheavals. The highest I've taken it is 8000 mg a day and I became very ill, (severe nausea and vomiting,) from doing that. However 3500 mg a day I can tolerate for short times and find added benefit in times of need. However I have poor functioning liver from all the years I've been on psych medications so I can't handle more than about 3500 mg a day, which I take if the need arises.

Have a read of this and see if Flintstones can really useful for treating psychotic people or not. I know I love those Niacin tablets, and I love feeling the flush when they do their magic, for they surely healed me from my battle with psychosis.

Peace.

Optimal Dosing for Schizophrenia | Alternative Mental Health

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, those who speak against niacin and its dangers are out to get you from big pharm.

Big Pharma wasn't happy when this double blind research in the 1950s proved many ill people were helped without their expensive drugs, so they squashed/ridiculed/scare mongered the use of niacin in favour of their drug based treatments. They still do.

http://hsionline.com/2017/02/13/study-finds-easy-way-to-reduce-flush-reaction-to-niacin/
The Knock On Niacin – Big Pharma At It Again

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Big Pharma wasn't happy when this double blind research in the 1950s proved many ill people were helped without their expensive drugs, so they squashed/ridiculed/scare mongered the use of niacin in favour of their drug based treatments. They still do.

So pharmaceutical companies do not do double-blind research? Perhaps you could explain what it is that they do. How was double-blind research the best thing for vitamin companies, and pharmaceutical chose not to do double-blind research. What were they doing instead? Do vitamins even have to pass inspection--for example by the FDA?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So pharmaceutical companies do not do double-blind research? Perhaps you could explain what it is that they do. How was double-blind research the best thing for vitamin companies, and pharmaceutical chose not to do double-blind research. What were they doing instead? Do vitamins even have to pass inspection--for example by the FDA?

The issue is not that pharma companies can't do research but that they are often not honest with their results but serve dollars instead of peolple. The research I posted at first was done by a doctor with real interest in mentally ill people, not in making more money, so his results were not trying to disprove real results as big pharma was doing.

You love those pill makers bro I'm have had my gut full of them. I've sustained major damage taking their stuff with very little to show for it, while niacin has done what their crap at many times the price couldn't do. For example to take Zyprexa costed $475 dollars a month and it didn't work and made me terribly depressed while treating myself with niacin cost me less than around 10 or 11 dollars a month and works better than any psych meds I have ever used.

I know which research I believe. It is for you to make up your own mind with the evidence provided.

Peace.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know which research I believe. It is for you to make up your own mind with the evidence provided.

Peace.

What does your doctor say about the amount of niacin you are taking and stopping your meds?

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does your doctor say about the amount of niacin you are taking and stopping your meds?

He is very happy with the results and keeps a close eye on my liver functions.

Reactions: Steph23
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Niacin.JPG

• Informative
Upvote 0

Steph23

Dec 5, 2017
Cincinnati
✟8,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi Jeshu,

Let me start off by saying that my grandmother and mother are diagnosed with schizophrenia. My son started presenting with auditory hallucinations one year ago at the age of 4. He presented with a list of symptoms such as insomnia, stereotypy, sensory and balance issues, confusion, hyperactivity, etc. I performed a strict removal of grains and dairy from his diet and added a multi strain probiotic to his daily regimen. He improved significantly. I added vitamin b12 to his daily regimen and he is now seemingly whole again. Our diet now is similar to paleo only we have eliminated all dairy. It most closely resembles a diet known as AIP (autoimmune protocol) diet. We have removed all grain, dairy, legumes and nightshade vegetables. Which basically means we eat lots of fruit, nuts, veggies and meat. I'm really impressed by your story. It's what compelled me to share mine. After thousands of dollars spent, travel expenses to Boston and Rochester I've finally found relief for my son from a diet and a $17 bottle of methylated b12. May peace continue to follow you.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Steph23

Dec 5, 2017
Cincinnati
✟8,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jeshu,

Let me start off by saying that my grandmother and mother are diagnosed with schizophrenia. My son started presenting with auditory hallucinations one year ago at the age of 4. He presented with a list of symptoms such as insomnia, stereotypy, sensory and balance issues, confusion, hyperactivity, etc. I performed a strict removal of grains and dairy from his diet and added a multi strain probiotic to his daily regimen. He improved significantly. I added vitamin b12 to his daily regimen and he is now seemingly whole again. Our diet now is similar to paleo only we have eliminated all dairy. It most closely resembles a diet known as AIP (autoimmune protocol) diet. We have removed all grain, dairy, legumes andnightshade vegetables. Which basicallymeans we eat lots of fruit, nuts, veggies and meat. I'm really impressed by yourstory. It's what compelled me to sharemine. After thousands of dollars spent, travel expenses to Boston and Rochester I've finally found relief for my son from a diet and a $17 bottle of methylated b12. It turns out he does have the genetic marker for schizophrenia, but that is the only knowledge we really gained from our many visits.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'll have to circle back with his PCP to inquire about labs for liver enzyme.

May peace continue to follow you.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I suspect most of the people here have problems that a Flintstone's isn't going to solve.
That's why when they used to test a person to see what was actually imbalanced in their bodies and minds, they had much better success than when they don't test.

i.e. finding out what IS MISSING, or what IS TOXIC, by testing, helps everyone.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So, those who speak against niacin and its dangers are out to get you from big pharm.
I checked the AMA and FDA sites.
In the last hour a few hundred people died .....

meanwhile, in the last 25 years, an average of one person per year (yes, that's an average of EVERY 365 DAYS, ONE PERSON DIED (if the AMA and FDA sites were right/ just found them by searching, btw) )
one person per year died from vitamins..... on the FDA and AMA sites...

oh, the few hundred people died in the last hour ..... I probably can't tell you from what .... (too much money and all, ya know ? ) ....

But it is published on FDA and AMA sites (yes, they admit this! Amazing, huh? )
They want MORE MONEY to "fix it" though,
instead of what's needed...

LEGAL BEAGLE: The above facts generally are based on the reports of the offical AMA and FDA of the United States of America that everyone so much loves to trust and claim is watching out for them. They have been thoroughly evalutated by the FDA and AMA (their sites have) ,
and reported by thousands of health clinics around the USA, and many many more in other countries as well (mostly in countries where the right helps are legal to advertise and use) .

Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Are you really comparing Niacin to Flintstone's? 100K people die each year from "properly" prescribed medication. Gods/Natural cures work, and work well. The human body does not have a shortage of prescription drugs. The MSM is a farce at best, its all about the money. They don't care whether you live or die.

Upvote 0