Who did that?

Lord Emsworth

Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves.
Oct 10, 2004
Through the cables and the underground ...
✟61,459.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Kinda of like every human being is an activity of God?

Now people can see the unedited version of my post. :blush:

But as to your question, can you be a bit more specific? You have lost me a little. I don't know if every human is an activity of God. I guess it depends a lot on your definitions.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Here is a little something from the first creation story.
Genesis 1.30
And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.’ And it was so.
I am not entirely sure if it fits exactly what you are looking for, as you seem to be talking about literal breath. (And make no mistake, that episode where God picks up dust, forms Adam and breathes the breath of life into his nostrils, has only indirectly to do with literal breathing. It is in Genesis 2:7)
That,s what I said, that it does not say that God breathed the soul of life into birds and animals and yet they were breathing air anyway, or supposedly.
If you notice in the creation story, God said and it was, collective, when it came to mans turn, who was last, it was individualy. And man became a living soul.

Upvote 0

Lord Emsworth

Oct 10, 2004
✟61,459.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That,s what I said, that it does not say that God breathed the soul of life into birds and animals and yet they were breathing air anyway, or supposedly.
If you notice in the creation story, God said and it was, collective, when it came to mans turn, who was last, it was individualy. And man became a living soul.

Strictly speaking there are two creation stories in Genesis. The first has the seven days creation week, and all the filling and forming (and resting), while the second has the garden of Eden and Adam and Eve and all that. I would be careful not to conflate them.

Although, in the first creation story too, man and woman are somewhat special; they are created last*, are created "in the image of God" and are given dominion over all those animals.

* discounting the Sabbath

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I don't like giving such secrets away to people I don't know. Try to make out a hebrew name in the sound of one inhale/exhale cycle, (with a clear nose).

Hhhhhhhhh-phhhhhhh? (And that's reading MUCH into it. Breathing doesn't exactly generate much noise unless you're asthmatic.)

Anyway, it doesn't bear too much of a resemblance to the Tetragrammaton YHVH.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hear nothing.

Picture this:

Pharaoh, who is worshipped as a god, is seated in his own Temple, on his own throne. In walks this most vile of all sorts per local custom, a herder of sheep. He asks Moses who sent him, and all he gets in reply is the sound of breathing.

Tell me Pharaoh wasn't freaked out!

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did Cain know if Abel stopped breathing he would die (physically), no one had died before.

God breathed into the nostrils of man the soul of life, so man became a living soul. Breath, soul, spirit must have a connection in some way, Does it not say somewhere, He breathed upon them, and said, recieve......

BINGO!

"Then said Jesus to them again, Peace [be] unto you: as [my] Father hath sent me, even so send I you. (John 20:22) And when he had said this, he breathed on [them], and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; [and] whose soever [sins] ye retain, they are retained."

With these words Jesus is clearly identifying Himself as G-d in the flesh, both as Creator and in that only God can forgive sins. This is only one of many times He does this pre-crucifixion, and Muslims deny them all ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In English, that's what we have in some versions. I amuse myself when my own knee-jerk reaction kicks in, concluding somebody "mangled it" with a version that renders it very differently. But what did Pharaoh actually hear? I think it is most likely the sound of breathing, I honestly think he was freaked, and I honestly think this began the process of his heart hardening against the Lord, which is a subject I have had much revelation on.

Anyway the meaning is awkward to try to express in English, but the only self-sufficient one may be my best effort today, recognizing it serves mainly as a prefix for specific things to be revealed as we come to know Him better. In Pharaoh's case that was the one self-sufficient to cause the lost of his firstborn. (etc)

Upvote 0

Lord Emsworth

Oct 10, 2004
✟61,459.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Picture this:

Pharaoh, who is worshipped as a god, is seated in his own Temple, on his own throne. In walks this most vile of all sorts per local custom, a herder of sheep. He asks Moses who sent him, and all he gets in reply is the sound of breathing.

Tell me Pharaoh wasn't freaked out!

Depends on your story I guess. If in your story Pharao was freaked out, then he was freaked out. If not, then not. You could easily tell a story in which "a herder of sheeps" is not even admitted before the pharao, in much the same way that sheep aren't either.

Upvote 0

Lord Emsworth

Oct 10, 2004
✟61,459.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hhhhhhhhh-phhhhhhh? (And that's reading MUCH into it. Breathing doesn't exactly generate much noise unless you're asthmatic.)

Anyway, it doesn't bear too much of a resemblance to the Tetragrammaton YHVH.

Ah, so you are supposed to hear "Yahweh" (/ˈjɑː.weɪ/). I guess that is an acquired skill, which may work just as well with Mary (/'mer.i/).*

(And as an aside, whether it is Yahweh or Jehova or even something else is not even certainly known.)

ETA:
* Or "Emsworth". :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You could easily tell a story in which "a herder of sheeps" is not even admitted before the pharao, in much the same way that sheep aren't either.

That would be the expected version, which again shows the novelty / non-humanness of YWHW. Btw, how many sheep does it take before you have "sheeps?" :p

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(And as an aside, whether it is Yahweh or Jehova or even something else is not even certainly known.)

True. The original pronunciation is lost, ironically (or intentionally?) due to their rather odd customs. There is no reason to think there was ever any vowel, which would leave us with ... the sound of breathing. Which would line up perfectly with everything He had revealed about Himself to date!

Upvote 0