N/A
✟150,555.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's not very clear... Are you saying you need a brain to have a soul or spirit? Do creatures without brains have a soul or spirit? Do all creatures with brains have a soul or spirit?

What does 'general spiritual SW' mean? (I take it SW stands for 'software'). You should be aware that the brain is not like a conventional computer - 'hardware' and 'software' is not an appropriate metaphor.
Brain is a physical representation of one's mind. Mind is a spiritual concept, brain is the physical device on which it is "stored".

By soul I mean the synergy between body and spirit. A synonym to "a living creature".

Body without spirit is dead, brain without mind is just a physical object without experiencing.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
Brain is a physical representation of one's mind. Mind is a spiritual concept, brain is the physical device on which it is "stored".
OK, so if I understand you, the cognitive processes of the brain that we generally call 'mind' are, to you, a 'spiritual concept' - I assume that means mind is spirit. I'm not clear what that adds to the concept of 'mind' itself.

By soul I mean the synergy between body and spirit. A synonym to "a living creature".
But what about living creatures without brains, i.e. without minds? If they don't have minds, they don't have spirits... but they're still living creatures. I don't see how it can be synonymous.

Body without spirit is dead, brain without mind is just a physical object without experiencing.
I agree that a brain without mind, i.e. some level of conscious awareness, doesn't have subjective experience, e.g. under general anaesthesia; but it isn't dead - the experiencing (conscious) mind is just one mode of brain function, and it can be enabled or disabled.

So far, the model you describe seems incoherent - if mind is a spiritual concept, i.e. spirit, and necessary for bodily life, then living creatures without minds, i.e. without brains, and temporarily disabled minds, contradict that idea by still being alive.

But the basic question remains unanswered - why add the concept of 'spirit' to 'mind'? what purpose does it serve?

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,555.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK, so if I understand you, the cognitive processes of the brain that we generally call 'mind' are, to you, a 'spiritual concept' - I assume that means mind is spirit. I'm not clear what that adds to the concept of 'mind' itself.

But what about living creatures without brains, i.e. without minds? If they don't have minds, they don't have spirits... but they're still living creatures. I don't see how it can be synonymous.

I agree that a brain without mind, i.e. some level of conscious awareness, doesn't have subjective experience, e.g. under general anaesthesia; but it isn't dead - the experiencing (conscious) mind is just one mode of brain function, and it can be enabled or disabled.

So far, the model you describe seems incoherent - if mind is a spiritual concept, i.e. spirit, and necessary for bodily life, then living creatures without minds, i.e. without brains, and temporarily disabled minds, contradict that idea by still being alive.

But the basic question remains unanswered - why add the concept of 'spirit' to 'mind'? what purpose does it serve?
I do not equal spirit with mind as I do not equal body with brain. Brain is physical and mind is spiritual, though.

Lower creatures like for example bacterias are living on more primitive level, because their body is more primitive and therefore the spirit in them cannot create a complex experience like in higher creatures.

So, to your point - a human brain without mind would be a living organ in the primitive sense, but not in the higher sense of human personality. Living in the meaning the cells in him will still be alive, but will not create any mindful experience (experience is a spiritual thing).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
I do not equal spirit with mind as I do not equal body with brain. Brain is physical and mind is spiritual, though.
I asked you what spirit was, and you said that mind was a 'spiritual concept' - so, my mistake for assuming you meant it was spirit, but if the mind isn't spirit what is?

The brain is a physical organ of the body, it is part of the body. Are you disputing that?

Lower creatures like for example bacterias are living on more primitive level, because their body is more primitive and therefore the spirit in them cannot create a complex experience like in higher creatures.
So they do have 'spirit' (whatever that is) and so, having bodies, they also have 'soul'.

So, to your point - a human brain without mind would be a living organ in the primitive sense, but not in the higher sense of human personality.
Sure, you have no personality when you're unconscious.

Living in the meaning the cells in him will still be alive, but will not create any mindful experience (experience is a spiritual thing).
OK, so both the mind and experience are 'spiritual things' (which all vertebrates have to some degree), but what does that mean? what does it add to the concepts of thinking and experiencing? is it just an alternative label?

E.T.A. maybe it would be simpler if I just asked you for a full definition of 'spirit', 'spiritual thing', and 'soul'...

Reactions: doubtingmerle
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,555.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
E.T.A. maybe it would be simpler if I just asked you for a full definition of 'spirit', 'spiritual thing', and 'soul'...
Body - a physical substance (for the sake of simplicity lets say matter - particles -> atoms -> molecules -> cells -> complex bodies)
Spirit - a non-physical substance outside of space and time (given by God)
Soul - the composition of the two; an individual creature that is living in this physical world and having some experience

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
Spirit - a non-physical substance outside of space and time (given by God)
OK, so if it's non-physical, how does the soul connect it to the body, i.e. how can it physically influence the body? and if it doesn't physically influence the body, how can it make a difference?

Also, does this mean that creatures that don't have experience don't have spirit, and creatures that do have experience do have spirit? If so, does that mean that someone unconscious has no spirit?

I'm trying to find out what you think spirit actually does that a physical body alone can't do.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr Laurier

Mar 26, 2021
Georgian Bay/Bruce Peninsula
✟31,584.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I am a creature that descended from a speck of magnificently successful blue-green algae, or something like that.

Who are you?
I am me.
The son of parents who did their best.
The boyfriend of a lovely lady.
A beer snob.
A good tenant.
An even better employee.
A higher primate... especially after eating a few of my girlfriend's cannabutter infused cookies.
A sailor, with a goal of circumnavigation..
The writer of a few terrible jazz songs about sex and love.

Upvote 0

Mr Laurier

Mar 26, 2021
Georgian Bay/Bruce Peninsula
✟31,584.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Created any interesting universes lately? If you're equal to God, you should be able to tell me what's on top of my refrigerator...
Lint and mismatched Tupperware. And maybe a cat

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ah, so one of the descendants of that blue-green algae got adopted by God?
If we're descendants from blue-green algae, why is blue-green algae still around?

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I seriously do need the encouragement. It's good practice!
OK. I encourage you to rejoice that all the descendants in that one line from that blue-green slime all the way down to you were winners--every one! Many have lost in the struggle to survive. They never lived to have children. But not so with your ancestors or mine. They were all winners.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If we're descendants from blue-green algae, why is blue-green algae still around?
If you are a child of God, why is God still around?

Upvote 0