✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reformed Baptist said:
Did God choose you because He knew you were going to choose Him or did God choose you and that’s why you choose Him? :confused:
Romans 9:11
for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls

"Choosing Him" is a work. If we are "chosen" based on the fact that God knew we would choose Him then we were chosen on the basis of our works and would, thus, have something to brag about.

Romans 9:16
So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.

Scripture clearly tells us that our being chosen is the product of the mercy of God. If it were because He saw that we were going to choose Him then it wouldn't be the product of His mercy. It would be the wages of our work and be a debt God was obligated to pay:

Romans 4:1-4
What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh? For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.

If our salvation be by grace then it cannot, by virtue of the meaning of grace, be the result of our works because then we would have something to boast about.

Many will say, "Wait, verse 5 of that very same chapter distinguishes between belief and works so believing cannot be a work." To that I would unequivocably agree. However, "believing" is more than just acknowledging the existance of God, for even the demons believe and tremble (James 2:19). No, "believing" is more than that so we must ask ourselves what it means to truly "believe" on the Lord and whether or not this is something that carnal man is capable of doing.

I believe Scripture is clear that carnal (unregenerate) man is morally incapable of willfully submitting to the sovereign authority of God.

God bless,
Don

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟514,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reformed Baptist said:
Did God choose you because He knew you were going to choose Him or did God choose you and that’s why you choose Him? :confused:
Good Day, RB

God chose me, so that he could give me the capcity to chose Him.

For His Glory Alone!:clap:

BBAS

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
BBAS 64 said:
Good Day, RB

God chose me, so that he could give me the capcity to chose Him.

For His Glory Alone!:clap:

BBAS

If all He did was "give you the capacity to choose Him" then I guess it's not for "His glory alone." ;) You get at least a little of the glory because you made the right decision.

God bless

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟514,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reformationist said:
If all He did was "give you the capacity to choose Him" then I guess it's not for "His glory alone." ;) You get at least a little of the glory because you made the right decision.

God bless
Ref,

LOL ^_^

What was I thinking :blush:

Still His

BBAS

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟514,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AVBunyan said:
Until someone can show me how a dead man can choose God then I might give it some thought at least :sorry:
Good Day, AV

That all depends on how you define "dead" and the application of your deff. ;) I mean after all on whose authority do you claim to have the "correct" understanding.^_^

Peace to u

BBAS

Upvote 0

AVBunyan

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
✟17,676.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Choose
BBAS 64 said:
Good Day, AV

That all depends on how you define "dead" and the application of your deff. ;) ^_^ BBAS
Good day BBAS 64 - I mean dead spiritually according to Eph. 2:1 and blind according to II Cor. 4:3,4 and dead according to our Lord - Mat 8:22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
Can't get much "deader".
wink.gif

Have a nice day
wave.gif

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟514,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AVBunyan said:
Choose
Good day BBAS 64 - I mean dead spiritually according to Eph. 2:1 and blind according to II Cor. 4:3,4 and dead according to our Lord - Mat 8:22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
Can't get much "deader".
wink.gif

Have a nice day
wave.gif
Same to you AV, see you are an Independant Baptist, and a Calvinist thought I might be the only one.

Have a great Christmas

BBAS

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God wooed me and drug me into heaven with his love. He set me up in a family and a situation in which it was natural to choose him. And he came to me and made sure that I would choose him by displaying himself. He was so irresistable I had to choose him. His love was so natural and awesome that I really had and still have no otehr choice but to love and serve my Master all the days of my life. So I chose Him because he is so wonderful that words cannot express. And simply he did not let me choose any other way. I really do not why he chose a broken vessel like me but he did. Everything to his glory alone. Peace out!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AVBunyan

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
✟17,676.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
BBAS 64 said:
Same to you AV, see you are an Independant Baptist, and a Calvinist thought I might be the only one. Have a great Christmas BBAS
BBAS 64 - good to hear from you - yes, I'm a Calvinist and Independent Baptist and 1611 AV, and right division (I'm really whacked, huh!) - looking forward to chatting with you - good to know we are not alone out here - it appears there are some more :clap:

You have a blessed and safe holiday :wave:

Upvote 0

AVBunyan

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
✟17,676.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Blackhawk said:
God wooed me and drug me into heaven with his love. He set me up in a family and a situation in which it was natural to choose him. And he came to me and made sure that I would choose him by displaying himself. He was so irresistable I had to choose him. His love was so natural and awesome that I really had and still have no otehr choice but to love and serve my Master all the days of my life. So I chose Him because he is so wonderful that words cannot express. And simply he did not let me choose any other way. I really do not why he chose a broken vessel like me but he did. Everything to his glory alone. Peace out!
Thanks, Blackhawk - I needed that - May God bless

Upvote 0

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reformationist said:

God bless
I agree, but any glory we take, takes away from God. And will cause others to reject Christ based on our display of self-rightousness. I think, we can't imagine how awesome Christ will be and how humble we will be when we see him.

Believing in Christ and living the Christian life is self-serving b/c of the blessings it brings.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
theseed said:
I agree, but any glory we take, takes away from God.

I agree. My statement was to point out, in jest of course, what I perceived as a theological error in his statement. I do believe it undercuts the role God plays in our regeneration and redemption to claim that His grace merely gives us the "capacity to choose." I am well aware of God's monergistic work within me that sovereignly brought me to life in Him and gave me the desire and ability to be His servant.

And will cause others to reject Christ based on our display of self-rightousness.

If we are blessed enough to acknowledge that our own awakening to His Lordship be the product of His irresistable grace it seems a bit presumptuous to assume that any action we may take would interfere with His divine ability to gather another of His chosen unto His flock. Not only is our own salvation solely by His grace, but our brethren's salvation as well. If we are in no position to take credit for His work for us then we are equally in no position to credit ourselves with thwarting His holy will for another. If someone be elected unto His redemption then our impotent efforts, either for or against Him, will certainly not hinder His cause.

Believing in Christ and living the Christian life is self-serving b/c of the blessings it brings.

Hmmm . . . I must admit that I'm a bit confused by this statement. Up until this point I was of the impression that you were a Christian but, I must say, this seems more in line with what a non-believer would say.

Are you a Christian or have I just misunderstood? :scratch:

God bless

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.