Whites Need Not Apply

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No, it's part of an effort to reduce and eliminate racism.

I don't know what that means - they didn't take a job opportunity because there weren't enough white people at the company? In the field? In the department? If a white person told me they didn't take a job because there weren't "enough white people" I'd say they are racist because there are plenty of white people in every job, field, company, position, etc. Yeah, they'd have to be pretty racist to say there aren't enough white people out there when there are tons of us all over the place.

I'd be like "Wow you need more white people in your life despite being surrounded by a majority of white people? Tell me what severe problems you have from being white, because I'm a white person and I know I have way more privilege and almost no disadvantages because of my being white. This I gotta hear!" And I'd probably laugh at whatever they'd tell me because it would probably be a ridiculous explanation.

I'd hear out his complaints first but I'm pretty sure they'd be completely invalid, insipid, inane complaints and I'd probably laugh at them and then set them straight.

Yeah, I agree - any white person who says they have those problems is most likely racist and needs to work on those problems.

I can’t speak for your personal experiences, but If you are under the impression that all white people have all the privileges, are never discriminated against because of their race, and black and brown people are constantly discriminated against, and have no privileges because of their race, you are mistaken. Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Most of the ones already in the field have come to terms with feeling that they "belong", so most of them more question why they are the only one, what's going on that they're the only one (or two or ten). It's the people who have an interest in the field and investigate or are new to the field who question their "belonging". And many of them become discouraged and never start or transition to a different field. I've seen it happen.

We recently had about 3 huge socials, 3 weeks apart, that our top officer put together so we could mingle with everyone under our departmental umbrella and network and get to know each other better. About 130 people... One black guy, one black woman (who is an admin, not actually a "tech" person). The black guy, who I'm friends with, was making jokes about it - he always does. But he's right, and we all told him, "yeah, it's weird man, how are you still the only one? What the....?" I mean, what else can you say when it stares you in the face like that? It IS weird. Black people are what, over 10% of the population, but we have less than 1% in our group? Weird. Institutional racism.

And then my manager, the only female officer in our 130 person group. Other females are about 30, most of them are contract workers, not employees, and no other officer is female. Women make up roughly HALF the population and we have less than 1% represented?

Those numbers are crazy. It is undoubtedly institutional racism and sexism that's to blame. My manager has confided in me the things that she's seen and how it's perpetuated. That's why we have symposiums and events to encourage blacks and women primarily to become involved in tech.

It's not like "Oh, the Department is only 10% black" or "only 40% female" - no, it's like less than 1% black and less than 20% female with less than 1% female officers.

My company is a huge, conservative, Wall St. investment bank and they do this, even they recognize the imbalance.
Are you saying the company you work for refuses to hire more black people and more women? That they are constantly turning away such qualified applicants? What do you base this on?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, it's part of an effort to reduce and eliminate racism.

No....it's just racism.

I don't know what that means - they didn't take a job opportunity because there weren't enough white people at the company? In the field? In the department?

Let's say they had an opportunity to join a NBA team that is 90% black.

Let's also drop all your previous biases and assumptions and say they group up in a neighborhood with a white minority.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,501.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
By being racist? You believe racism caused this problem and racism can now fix it? Truly?
YOU call it racist but I think it is only people who would (in their hearts) deny people of color equal opportunity that think it is.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,120.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Comment rescinded because, oh well what's the point?
That's a good question.
Now I'd like you to ask it again, but this time with the inner sense that there really is no point, or need, rather than the implied (and perhaps snide) frustration. :)

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Members of underrepresented minorities often find themselves isolated in professional settings: they may be the only African American, or Latinx, or Pacific Islander, etc., in their classroom or department, and that can lead to a feeling of wondering if you belong in this field, if maybe you should just give up and go somewhere else where you belong better.

IMO only a complete loser would conclude he does not belong in a professional environment because he doesn’t see enough people who share his skin color in such an environment, and uses that as an excuse to regress himself to an unprofessional environment full of losers in order to be around people he is more comfortable with.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,501.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why do you make such an assumption? What do you base this on?
It is not an assumption. It is based on the activities of white supremacists all over the country.Have you not seen it or do you approve it.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
YOU call it racist but I think it is only people who would (in their hearts) deny people of color equal opportunity that think it is.

What does it have to do with equal opportunity? It's not like there's some "whites only" version of this going on at the university.

It's racism...any way you slice it. One has to wonder why you're so quick to excuse racism against whites.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Whites need not apply: Campus sci-tech symposium to only feature scholars of color | The College Fix

An upcoming science and technology symposium slated to take place at Williams College promises a unique feature: it will showcase “new” voices in the field, and those voices will only come from scholars of color.

The
call for papers specifies that means either “African Americans, Alaska Natives, Arab Americans, Asian Americans, Latinx, Native Americans, Native Hawaiians, and other Pacific Islanders.”

Part of the application process asked applicants to write a couple sentences proving themselves as a member of a “historically underrepresented group.” Yet the application also provides an equal employment opportunity statement that people from all backgrounds are welcome.

Somehow, I can't imagine the college having a symposium that requires the applicants be white. I can just hear the protesting.
It's not racism and sounds a lot like howling. This sounds like a scenario where men had 100% and women had 0% of the time. Laws and regulations finally change and now women get 50% of the time, but this sets off a group of men who complain, they don't think it's fair. They want to divide the time in half... meaning they want women to cede half her time. They scream about this until they get half and then they call it fair. In the end, the men have 75% of the time and the women have 25% of the time.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It is not an assumption. It is based on the activities of white supremacists all over the country.Have you not seen it or do you approve it.
So you are saying only a white supremacist would say it is wrong to treat white people unfairly? You jokin' right? You can't be serious! Are you???

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Members of underrepresented minorities often find themselves isolated in professional settings: they may be the only African American, or Latinx, or Pacific Islander, etc., in their classroom or department, and that can lead to a feeling of wondering if you belong in this field, if maybe you should just give up and go somewhere else where you belong better. A conference like this gives these minority scholars a place where, just for a couple of days, they're seeing lots of faces that look like theirs, an encouraging reassurance that, yes, they belong in this field.

There are plenty of conferences dominated by white people. Let our ethnic-minority colleagues have a day once in a while where they get to be in charge.

I'm a woman in a male dominated field. I often attend business meetings and I'm either the only woman or one of 2 or 3 in the room. I have NEVER felt that I didn't belong. I don't need to see other women to validate my presence or worth.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's not racism and sounds a lot like howling. This sounds like a scenario where men had 100% and women had 0% of the time. Laws and regulations finally change and now women get 50% of the time, but this sets off a group of men who complain, they don't think it's fair. They want to divide the time in half... meaning they want women to cede half her time. They scream about this until they get half and then they call it fair. In the end, the men have 75% of the time and the women have 25% of the time.
Sounds like your scenario is a little off. This would be like a scenario where men had 100%, women had 0%, then they changed it so women have 100% and men have 0% and the men (and fair minded women) complain.

• Agree
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,501.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So you are saying only a white supremacist would say it is wrong to treat white people unfairly? You jokin' right? You can't be serious! Are you???
I did not say that.That is your assumption.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,501.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What does it have to do with equal opportunity? It's not like there's some "whites only" version of this going on at the university.

It's racism...any way you slice it. One has to wonder why you're so quick to excuse racism against whites.
The only whites I see complaining about racism against whites are those who are ok with racism against people of color.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The only whites I see complaining about racism against whites are those who are ok with racism against people of color.

Well that's racist. What's wrong with calling out racism against whites?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nothing. If you feel it you feel it.

You just said any white person who points out racism is racist.

Also, this has nothing to do with feelings. It's racial discrimination by definition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,501.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You just said any white person who points out racism is racist.

Also, this has nothing to do with feelings. It's racial discrimination by definition.
You feel something, otherwise you would not be complaining.

Upvote 0