Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Whites need not apply: Campus sci-tech symposium to only feature scholars of color | The College Fix

An upcoming science and technology symposium slated to take place at Williams College promises a unique feature: it will showcase “new” voices in the field, and those voices will only come from scholars of color.

The
call for papers specifies that means either “African Americans, Alaska Natives, Arab Americans, Asian Americans, Latinx, Native Americans, Native Hawaiians, and other Pacific Islanders.”

Part of the application process asked applicants to write a couple sentences proving themselves as a member of a “historically underrepresented group.” Yet the application also provides an equal employment opportunity statement that people from all backgrounds are welcome.

Somehow, I can't imagine the college having a symposium that requires the applicants be white. I can just hear the protesting.

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whites need not apply: Campus sci-tech symposium to only feature scholars of color | The College Fix

An upcoming science and technology symposium slated to take place at Williams College promises a unique feature: it will showcase “new” voices in the field, and those voices will only come from scholars of color.

The
call for papers specifies that means either “African Americans, Alaska Natives, Arab Americans, Asian Americans, Latinx, Native Americans, Native Hawaiians, and other Pacific Islanders.”

Part of the application process asked applicants to write a couple sentences proving themselves as a member of a “historically underrepresented group.” Yet the application also provides an equal employment opportunity statement that people from all backgrounds are welcome.

Somehow, I can't imagine the college having a symposium that requires the applicants be white. I can just hear the protesting.
Like I said before, government has decreed that only white males can be racist.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,799.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Could the reason for this be that people of color were under represented in previous symposiums ? Just asking.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Members of underrepresented minorities often find themselves isolated in professional settings: they may be the only African American, or Latinx, or Pacific Islander, etc., in their classroom or department, and that can lead to a feeling of wondering if you belong in this field, if maybe you should just give up and go somewhere else where you belong better. A conference like this gives these minority scholars a place where, just for a couple of days, they're seeing lots of faces that look like theirs, an encouraging reassurance that, yes, they belong in this field.

There are plenty of conferences dominated by white people. Let our ethnic-minority colleagues have a day once in a while where they get to be in charge.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'd disagree but I have heard people say it.

That is incorrect.

Problems with the Census’ Racial Categories

Ignore the content of the page (or not) . but the page shows not only is "are you a Latino" . a question, it gives you 4 options, and then asks about ethnicity separately.
Well, Americans of Hispanic ascendence consider "Latino/Hispanic" their race even when it is not technically correct. As I came from a Latin American country, I always thought of myself as "mixed-race".

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
This Latinx stuff is really ridiculous. Sorry to harp on that, but I am old enough to remember when the 'progressive' thing to do in writing would be to use the @ symbol, i.e., Latin@, because it would include Latinos and Latinas -- in other words, men and women. The two categories of people that there are, and that everyone always recognized that there are. And this was only 20 years ago! I have the "anarchist punk" fanzines from back then (written all in Spanish) to prove it. That was the vanguard. The @ symbol, which is at least understandable if you know anything about Spanish grammar, unlike this "Latinx" idiocy.

And now the amorphous ever growing gender-blob is even attempting to take over entire languages which have their own developed systems of grammatical gender, which is not some kind of conspiracy to silence people who think that they are pansexual starfish or whatever. It's just how the language works, but these insane people can't handle it. What served human communication (y'know, the purpose of language...) perfectly fine since the creation of the Romance languages is now suddenly confining, and homophobic, and transphobic, and all of these other fake phobias.

How small of a minority does some group have to be before it becomes reasonable to point out how unreasonable their demands are? If I think I'm some kind of 17th gender from the planet Nibiru and you all have to address me as Royal Highness Cardinal Beachball, and my pronoun is Ɣ, which you now have to incorporate into your languages at your own cognitive, typological, and typographic expense whether or not it makes any sense that you do so, isn't that kinda on me? Why does anyone else have to do anything in response to that?

I'm sorry...I think I have to say it: I don't think everyone's feelings should be acknowledged all of the time. Or rather, you can acknowledge that they have those feelings and then you should be able to say you're done with this forever, without changing anything that you do. "Okay, you say you're Latin-x, whatever that is. That's not going to become part of my vocabulary, because that's not an actual part of the language. You just made that up, and nobody else needs to accept it. If that hurts your feelings, then it sounds like that's a problem for you and your feelings to deal with, far away from me. Goodbye."

Enough already.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Members of underrepresented minorities often find themselves isolated in professional settings: they may be the only African American, or Latinx, or Pacific Islander, etc., in their classroom or department, and that can lead to a feeling of wondering if you belong in this field, if maybe you should just give up and go somewhere else where you belong better. A conference like this gives these minority scholars a place where, just for a couple of days, they're seeing lots of faces that look like theirs, an encouraging reassurance that, yes, they belong in this field.

There are plenty of conferences dominated by white people. Let our ethnic-minority colleagues have a day once in a while where they get to be in charge.
Comment rescinded because, oh well what's the point?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I can empathize with the desire of some minorities to only want to be around other minorities in certain life situations. Speaking as a woman, I think it's very comforting to be in a group of other women and talk about what we experience as women, without having the presence of men hanging around or having to deal with some disgruntled men interjecting their personal opinions on what they thinks women should or shouldn't do. I've attended several ladies only meetings and luncheons over the years and not one disgruntled man ever insisted that men should be allowed into the meetings or the luncheons. Not one man whined about discrimination against men because the meetings were for ladies only. There have also been men's only breakfast meetings and other fellowship gatherings for men and not one disgruntled woman whined about discrimination against women or insisted women should be allowed to attend the breakfast or the other fellowship gatherings designated for men.

Reactions: Emmylouwho
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can empathize with the desire of some minorities to only want to be around other minorities in certain life situations. Speaking as a woman, I think it's very comforting to be in a group of other women and talk about what we experience as women, without having the presence of men hanging around or having to deal with some disgruntled men interjecting their personal opinions on what they thinks women should or shouldn't do. I've attended several ladies only meetings and luncheons over the years and not one disgruntled man ever insisted that men should be allowed into the meetings or the luncheons. Not one man whined about discrimination against men because the meetings were for ladies only. There have also been men's only breakfast meetings and other fellowship gatherings for men and not one disgruntled woman whined about discrimination against women or insisted women should be allowed to attend the breakfast or the other fellowship gatherings designated for men.
Except that an all-white anything event will bring national uproar.

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I thought race was a social construct and the US census calls Latino (not calling it Latinx) and Arabs white.

That's the view of the Census Bureau, and the Federal Government. It also has to be used for affirmative action. Other than that, I guess a college can do what it likes.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

The

Us white people have such thin skins we can feel the prick before the pin even gets close.

The world will easily survive this symposium. And, quite frankly, so will white people even if we can't pass up any reason to whine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

That wouldn't really be analogous. How about a symposium open to people of all races - except blacks.

zephcom said:
Us white people have such thin skins we can feel the prick before the pin even gets close.

Speak for yourself.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Sorry but minorities are stronger than that. I do not see them as this frail weak peoples that need every opportunity to get ahead. They are more than smart enough and even tough enough to forge ahead of their own merit, and there is pride in that. That is devalued everytime they are treated like some frail object that needs our protection. Like as if they can't make it in this world if they were not helped. Just the way I see it. Women had to do it for years. Now there are more fortune 500 female executives than ever before.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

This is correct.

I work in Tech for a major Wall St. firm and within our company we do have these kinds of symposiums and events and seminars for certain underrepresented groups. Most underrepresented in Tech, at least where I work, are blacks and women. I think these events are a great step towards encouraging more from these underrepresented groups to become engaged in the Technology field, in any capacity. We have seen results, too, from these - so they do work. I've participated in several of these events for women - it is invaluable and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Upvote 0