Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nice article. But it also fails to discuss the White Society's penchant for rampant crime and victimization!

Point to the man who hurt you:

hoodie11.jpg

wall-street-grey.jpg

Which one is MORE LIKELY to hurt you and bad in a lasting way? :)

Neither. One's a bad actor and the other is a model.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wow! There isn't 2nd and 3rd generation poverty in Appalachia? There isn't a drug epidemic in the hills of Tennessee?

Did someone say there wasn't? You are the one who confined this discussion to the inner cities.

Now you are surprised we aren't talking about Appalachia.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Did someone say there wasn't? You are the one who confined this discussion to the inner cities.

Now you are surprised we aren't talking about Appalachia.

Where did I do that Terry? I suppose I'm just tired of reading the same DC stat over and over again. You actually hear very little about poor whites and drug use and manufacture by whites. Why is that? Why didn't Ryan include them in his statement? Is it because they vote for his ilk already and he dare not offend them?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Where did I do that Terry? I suppose I'm just tired of reading the same DC stat over and over again. You actually hear very little about poor whites and drug use and manufacture by whites. Why is that? Why didn't Ryan include them in his statement? Is it because they vote for his ilk already and he dare not offend them?

Okay, if the DC stats somehow offend you...

Federal law and CalWORKs require that 50% of adults participate in Welfare-to-Work activities, such as job training, job search, parenting classes and educational classes including classes toward earning a 4-year college degree. The federal government can sanction states for failing to meet Welfare-to-Work requirements, up to 5 percent of its federal block grant. California, which currently receives $3.7 billion annually from the federal government for welfare services, has failed to meet the work requirement since 2007.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Okay, if the DC stats somehow offend you...

Federal law and CalWORKs require that 50% of adults participate in Welfare-to-Work activities, such as job training, job search, parenting classes and educational classes including classes toward earning a 4-year college degree. The federal government can sanction states for failing to meet Welfare-to-Work requirements, up to 5 percent of its federal block grant. California, which currently receives $3.7 billion annually from the federal government for welfare services, has failed to meet the work requirement since 2007.
Oh, I'm not offended by your DC stats, just tired of seeing only them. Glad you were able to come up with something else. Got links?

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
White people are poor because of their culture
Paul Ryan has been in trouble recently because of his comments about the “inner city” poor and their culture of laziness and dependency. Ryan’s courage in standing up to the PC Nazis is admirable. His stand may finally open up the potential for Americans to confront poverty without hiding behind euphemisms or dodging uncomfortable facts.
Thanks to Rep. Ryan, we may at last be able to confront the last taboo in political correctness. We may finally be able to address the culture of poverty that keeps white people poor.
Take it and do with it what you will.

What if, imagine the horror, there may be some truth, not necessarily to Paul Ryan's remark, but to the notion socialization is a contributing factor to being poor?

This is not to suggest there aren't other causes for the indigency of people.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Such sweet naivete! You may have missed it in the 1960's when SUBURBS were being developed there was a thing called "white flight" leaving MANY inner city areas largely african American.

Most people over the age of 30 have heard about this. It was a real thing.

Only recently have whites started moving back into the inner city in large numbers, usually in a form of "gentrification" (a term almost no one uses for african americans moving into a neighborhood).

Now, obviously you are quite young and may be completely unaware of the fact that even today the inner cities are populated more by minorities. And you ask a reasonable question for a newborn babe to the planet earth.

It is quite painful to see someone dodging the kind of rhetoric the Right partakes of because we ALL know what was meant. We do! We are NOT IDIOTS, despite what the GOP and Tea Party would have us think.

I assume that Paul Ryan is somewhat older and probably knows the score. He KNEW what he was saying. And if was thinking about whites or non-minorities when he said it, he should have made that clear....because almost NO ONE ON EARTH means that when they utter "inner city" and "poor" in the same sentence.

Welcome to earth!

Perhaps you should have done some research into this topic before deriding a poster as being naive.

Paul Ryan's remarks, when taken into context, indicate he was not necessarily equivocating the word "inner-city" with any particular race. Paul Ryan was basing his remarks on a Harvard study of inner-city people based on "class" and not "race."

During his radio interview, Ryan cited a Harvard study finding that youth from lower-class backgrounds tended to be more isolated from society and civil institutions. Ryan's office noted that the study's authors themselves emphasized that their work focused on class and not race. (The study controlled for a variety of factors, including "urbanicity," suggesting an "inner city" environment predicted less about young people's civic engagement than their class background.)

Ryan immediately pushed back, saying, "There was nothing whatsoever about race in my comments at all. It had nothing to do with race." Paul Ryan Laments Inner-City Culture Of Not Working
Welcome to earth!

The rest of your post is garbage, speculating about what Paul Ryan "knew," and guessing as to how a particular segment of people "almost NO ONE ON EARTH" would mean when using the same words as Paul Ryan. You are no pythia or a mindreader.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Another thread on racism started by a liberal. Gee, why am I not shocked?

If you followed the story to its origins, then you would notice that this story comes from the words of Paul Ryan.

So far this is your only post in the thread, and if you have nothing better to post than hurling insults at other members, perhaps it is best you post in threads which don't anger you so much.

I am a white guy with roots in the banjo belt, and nothing said or posted by the OP was racist. The thread is simply correcting Ryan and expanding the borders of the culture of poverty to include places other than just the inner city.

Upvote 0

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Ryan cited a Harvard study finding that youth from lower-class backgrounds

Not Found

The requested URL /var/ezp_site/storage/[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]editor/file/SaguaroReport_DivergingSocialConnectedness_20120808.pdf was not found on this server.

LOL taken down by the profanity filter!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reminds me of the Reagan lies about "welfare queens". It's been the hot strategy for conservatives for the past four years. A strategy of repeating myth after myth about those who are on welfare or food stamps until the entire conservative base is singing the same tune. People on welfare are lazy! Most people on welfare don't want to work! The government wants everyone to be dependent upon them so they keep voting democrats in office! Welfare doesn't actually help anyone....after all, there's still poverty! And so on until even the conservatives on welfare are agreeing with them. The great hypocrisy in this is whenever a democrat speaks about "corporate welfare", "fixing tax loopholes for the rich", or "paying your fair share"....suddenly the conservatives start crying about "class warfare".

It's about time someone makes a thread dispelling all these right wing lies about the social safety nets in our society. I really thought someone would've made it by now, but since it hasn't happened...look for mine soon.

Given your strawman argument of Paul Ryan's position, and your unsupported generalization of the conservative position, few people should be looking for your thread anytime soon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh, I'm not offended by your DC stats, just tired of seeing only them. Glad you were able to come up with something else. Got links?

California Budget Fact Check

Has someone else besides me posted the DC stats?

I've posted them in two different threads, but they were two threads about the exact same subject matter so I felt it was appropriate.

I make a habit of doing that for spin off threads simply because there are a few specific people on these forums (not talking about you, you seem to stay and fight it out in a thread...which is good BTW) that often times move to another thread when they don't want to address stats I've posted. I like to follow those types of people around with the stats to make sure they can't dodge them :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟511,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not Found

The requested URL /var/ezp_site/storage/[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]editor/file/SaguaroReport_DivergingSocialConnectedness_20120808.pdf was not found on this server.

LOL taken down by the profanity filter!

Use the Huffpost link I provided to read the Harvard study.

Upvote 0

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Use the Huffpost link I provided to read the Harvard study.

It doesn't matter. CF profanity filter is filtering out part of the URL. I am not questioning the study or you, I am laughing at a profanity filter which has gone too far :D I found the study. thanks

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

While the cartoon is amusing, couple of a logic flaws I see in there...

Why is it mentioning the bank bailouts in particular and not just bailouts in general?
(Hint: Because Paul Ryan also voted for auto bailouts -- one of just 32 republicans to do so -- which the Democrats consider a "win for the middle class" so that would destroy the "Paul Ryan hates middle class and poor" narrative)

Why is the slide for "trying to figure out ways to get more from the government" only including the "Tax Dept" and the "Lobbyist Dept"? Why isn't it showing the Medicare Dept? Ryan voted for the largest Medicare expansion in US history
(Hint: Democrats like the idea of expanding Medicare so acknowledging that Paul Ryan voted in favor of it that would destroy their narrative)

The Long Lunches and Golf Outings slide pertaining to "self sufficiency" is a Non sequitur. A person who takes long lunches, but supports themselves financially is not the same as a welfare recipient who receives government money under certain obligations, then fails to meet those obligations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
While the cartoon is amusing, couple of a logic flaws I see in there...

Why is it mentioning the bank bailouts in particular and not just bailouts in general?
(Hint: Because Paul Ryan also voted for auto bailouts -- one of just 32 republicans to do so -- which the Democrats consider a "win for the middle class" so that would destroy the "Paul Ryan hates middle class and poor" narrative)

Why is the slide for "trying to figure out ways to get more from the government" only including the "Tax Dept" and the "Lobbyist Dept"? Why isn't it showing the Medicare Dept? Ryan voted for the largest Medicare expansion in US history
(Hint: Democrats like the idea of expanding Medicare so acknowledging that Paul Ryan voted in favor of it that would destroy their narrative)

The Long Lunches and Golf Outings slide pertaining to "self sufficiency" is a Non sequitur. A person who takes long lunches, but supports themselves financially is not the same as a welfare recipient who receives government money under certain obligations, then fails to meet those obligations.

The cartoon was meant to be amusing, and you've just read waaaaay too far into it.

Please take a step back, then have a laugh....

Upvote 0

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps you should have done some research into this topic before deriding a poster as being naive.

Paul Ryan's remarks, when taken into context, indicate he was not necessarily equivocating the word "inner-city" with any particular race. Paul Ryan was basing his remarks on a Harvard study of inner-city people based on "class" and not "race."

The only problem with your beatdown on Mike is that the study in question says nothing about inner-city people!

The study simply shows that children who have greater participation in extracurricular activities, volunteering, church and involvement with parents tend to be better equipped to succeed than those who are more isolated and withdrawn. Nothing in there about inner-city people. Ryan used inner-city as an example, and the criticism he received has been well deserved. The OP shows that the banjo belt people can be just as isolated and withdrawn and can be described as the people in the study.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The cartoon was meant to be amusing, and you've just read waaaaay too far into it.

Please take a step back, then have a laugh....

I said it was amusing :wave:

If people just took it as a joke it would be fine. However, in a nutshell, this is what certain media outlets are telling the public (in a non-comedic way) and the public is accepting it as gospel truth.

Upvote 0

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I said it was amusing :wave:

If people just took it as a joke it would be fine. However, in a nutshell, this is what certain media outlets are telling the public (in a non-comedic way) and the public is accepting it as gospel truth.
Still thinking waaaaaay too hard.

I suppose that is the problem when the conservatives attack liberals because they watch Stewart or Colbert. The conservatives think that liberals get their news from comedians. I have news for you that we the liberals understand that Stewart and Colbert's comedy (the same comedy as in the cartoon) is made from 'out of context' information, stereotypes, innuendo and stuff simply made up!

The only people who don't get it seem to be conservatives.

Upvote 0