✟7,612.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Black has the advantage over white.
first move leave uncertainty as which pawn (or knight) to move.
first white moves, black now knows what (in general) white might do and therefor has a slight advantage.
Lets say white moves: from D.2. to D.4.
exposing the queen, the bishop & the king.

so now black knows:

white can only move (without wasting a turn)-
B1 to A3 or C3
G1 to f3 or H3
C1 to n+1
and
D1 to D2 or D3.

what i would do is move from E.7. to E.6.
allowing my bishop to be free.
At this point it would be easy to get him in check if he makes any of these moves about but D1 to D2 or D3.
Im not going to play this :D because that would just be boreing.

White goes first, therefor black always one step ahead... if that makes since :D

Upvote 0

Tissue

Aug 3, 2004
Houghton, New York
Visit site
✟18,406.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, White has the advantage, for exactly the reason you've stated. White gets a whole extra move, as it were. Roughly 54-55% of all games that are won, are won by White (at top level, I mean). If White plays sharply (that is, in ways that keeps the 'initiative'), then White can make the most of that extra move, and that advantage can be all the difference.

Upvote 0

Breckmin

Sep 23, 2008
Gresham, OR USA
✟17,883.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Attacking players like Kasparov, Nakamura, or Judit Pulgar always start with the
advantage until they give up initiative. White moves first and this is critical when
it comes to opening analysis (particularly since the mid 1980's and Kasparov's rise
to change the way the game needs to be played in the opening and mid-game
transition). Until computers solve the game of chess, based on current theory,
black should always be able to draw (or win if white makes a weak move).

As Tissue says, white wins more games than black in tournament play....

It is often easier to attack than to defend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marklbernard

Mar 9, 2010
✟509.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you prefer to be the white player or black player in chess? Some people say White always has an advantage over black, but I'm not really sure about this. I have always preferred to be white though :)

I think white has an initial advantage only becasue they have the oportunity to control tempo, but if they do loose that advantage, then its anyones game, whoever controls the tempo in the game is in the winning position (this can be true even if materially they are loosing)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
A

aruchan

White vs. Black. The everlasting battle between light and darkness, yin and yang, and all that... if you ask philosophically, white trumps black eventually and always. It's true; white has an advantage because, since it has the first move, it can set the primary course of the game. However, white needs to preserve said advantage, and since chess usually turns into anyone's-game by the middle, the advantage is usually small. :D

Upvote 0

Gummug

Dec 9, 2009
✟16,121.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
My 2 cents worth, I am always more concerned about the strength of the opposing player than whether I am white or black. As has already been stated, the only time the slight advantage of white makes much difference if all else is equal (= both players have same rating imo) and the odds that both players have the same rating is small, usually I think even among grandmasters playing each other there is a small difference in rating and imo that is more important than the color they choose, although the small advantage white has can and does make a difference based on the statistics of white winning slightly more than 50% of the time. OK, stop yawning now, please! :)

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2011
✟7,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you prefer to be the white player or black player in chess? Some people say White always has an advantage over black, but I'm not really sure about this. I have always preferred to be white though :)

Correct. white always has the advantage coz white moves first than black. Its a big advantage specially for your defence..:)

Upvote 0

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I actually prefer black. I seem much better at exposing the weaknesses of an attack strategy rather than trying to break a through defense strategy. White has the move advantage, though as it is already stated, white reveals its general strategy before black's ever made a move.

Upvote 0