White Lawmaker Tells Black Lawyer she may ‘go missing’ if Confederate statues are removed

GondwanaLand

Dec 8, 2013
✟44,972.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Very disturbing. This is an elected official straight up threatening a citizen with murder.

LaDawn Jones is a black Democrat from Atlanta. For four years, her seatmate in the Georgia House of Representatives was Jason Spencer, a white Republican from the southern tip of the state. They see the world differently and, she concedes, there were many conversations where “we’ve had to walk away from each other because the debate was so intense.”

Those debates didn’t end when Jones left the legislature to resume practicing law last year — they were still frenemies on social media. And this week, the pair got into an online scuffle in which some say Spencer made a violent, racist threat.

It involved two of the most emotionally volatile issues in the American South: Confederate monuments and lynching.

The discussion started when Spencer posted a picture of himself next to a memorial of Confederate President Jefferson Davis. Jones, who has advocated for removing Confederate memorials from the state’s most vaunted places, posted a comment warning her former colleague that he should “get it in … before it is torn down.”

The lowest point was when Spencer told her that if she and others kept up their fight to rid the state of Confederate monuments, “I cant guarantee you won’t be met with torches but something a lot more definitive.”

Later, removing any doubt, he said the people who want the statues gone “will go missing in the Okefenokee,” referring to a swamp and national wildlife refuge near his home town. “To many necks they are red around here. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”
So not just her, but anyone who wants the statues gone just got threatened with murder by a state lawmaker. Classy.
White lawmaker warns black attorney she may ‘go missing’ if Confederate statues are threatened

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I don't think the representative made a direct threat but an indirect threat that his ignorant "red neck" constituents could and would murder the opposition. He didn't say he would though. However the way he worded it gave the impression he wouldn't disapprove their actions in they did.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Stupid know no race, Don't let the stupid infect you.

Stupid and violent is a bad combination -- but probably one that'll get re-elected.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Guy sounds like a red neck mafioso.

And some folks here are arguing racism in 2017 is just a relic of the past.

Who said that? Most just seem to consider all forms of bigotry equally bad. You're the one who argued that it isn't racist to dismiss someone’s opinion just because they're white, remember?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
or give them law enforcement jobs.

In all fairness, that cop got fired. I'm sure our lawmaker friend would give him a job with... "missing persons," however.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sad and sick.

They're statues...inanimate objects.
They aren't worth threatening people over and they can't hurt anybody.
They must be protected and worshiped at all cost.

Upvote 0