Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I looked around the room, sunlight pouring in from the one outside wall were the sounds of cars and trucks that could still also be heard. It was a white room with wooden paneling all around. Once it was probably beautiful but it seen many years. Bookcases lined some of the walls were we, twelve sat at a large wooden table in uncomfortable chairs with a board on the far side.

At the head Paul Pearson stood trying to make sure everyone was heard. He wrote down each point and I could tell most if not all were leaning to believe William Gardner did kill Jennifer Douglas his girl friend. Problem, was, I was sure he was innocent but did not know why.

The conversation was dying down so I looked up to see Paul looking around and hearing him say, “If no one has anything else to say, we can vote.”

I raised my hand tentatively. I’m not shy, but being already with so many people this morning and that trial was causing me to become highly stressed out and I needed to focus if I was to save this innocent man.

“Katherine, you have something to say?” Paul asked.

“Yes, I’m not sure he’s guilty...” I started to say when Sam Clurg exclaim angrily, “He was caught read handed or good enough. That fight, his own knife used, that neighbors testimony its a shut and closed case. She heard his voice around the time of the killing.”

“Actually when she was cross examined she retracted that claim and only admitted she heard a mans voice,” I stated back.

“Whatever, it was him.” Sam growled, “I don’t have time to quibble, I have to get back to work.”

“But His mom...” I tried but Dr. Timothy Ambrose broke in, “and the prosecution proved quite soundly how he could sneak out and commit that crime and return without her even knowing he was gone, Hell, she admitted like he hadn’t slept and that also strengthens there case.”

I signed, something was wrong, very wrong but I was too tired out to see it, I had to focus, “the...card...” I said, “I think that what is bothering me”.

“That playing card?” Sam laughed disdainfully, “Its a red Herring. He likely used it to throw guilt off him or its something personal. It was the seven of hearts....”

“That it!” I exclaim making him jump.

“What’s it?” Millie Walters said.

“Everything at that crime scene,” I said standing up, “Looked premeditated, careful and well practiced.”

“What do you mean,” Paul stated to ask me when Sam voice rolled right over his.

“This is nonsense,” Sam exclaimed, “We already went over everything while she day dreamed.” That caused me to color and sit down but what Paul said next gave me hope, “Actually this is new, what makes you think it premeditated? And Sam don’t interrupt nor you, David. She has a right to explain this.”

The two he name sat back angrily and Paul motioned me to the where he stood. I made my way over feeling every eye on me and sure I’d stumble or make a bigger fool out of myself but I made it to him without incident.

“So show us why you see this as premeditated,” Paul said handing me the chalk.

I drew and elongated oval and then interposed a rectangle on it saying, “I’m no artist,” which got a chuckle from several of them.

Then I made the x marks where each knife would went in then formed hearts to that seven of hearts card purposely drawing one at a time only finishing with the one at the center last. “This is what I see as premeditated that just does not fit a crime of passion.”

“Oh come on.” David growled, “the prosecution said clearly he did it because he loved her, he’s psycho!”

“Actually, there was no evidence of this according to the defense, he tested normal, a little neurotic but nor more than most people. Besides crimes of passion are violent and chaotic not practiced and smooth.”

“I don’t understand what we mean,” Wong Lee said.

I signed, writing was so much easier, you had time to work things out, but speaking, I’m just not as good at communicating as my husband. Sam quip up, “except we always are ready of crazies being among us at least till they snap.”

“This”, as I already explained, “has the feel of a practiced sadistic undertones, one like that can hide among us but they are always reclusive even to their wives and children. This is because their minds are so far removed from our reality into their own. One cannot keep that kind of mindset completely hidden so they control those they can and distance themselves from those they cannot.”

“How do you know all this?” Duncan Wilcox stated, “Are you a physiologist or something?”

“I’m a writer actually...” I said as my face reddened. My mom always regaled me that writing was a waste of time, her brother wasted his life trying to write “the big one” as did her father’s father.

“You’re serious,” Sam sneered but Dr. Ambrose broke in, “Actually, writers particularly those writing fiction need to do a tremendous amount of research if that fiction is to be any good.”

I looked over and smiled to him gratefully, saying, “Thank you, professor, what you say is very true which is why so much modern fantasy is rather poor. Yet I myself wrote a story fairly recently about a sadistic murder. I did a great deal a research which is likely why this case has troubled me so much.”

“Why?” Paul asked, “is it that card only?”

“Its the feel of it, the practiced feel, like that killer took his time savoring Jennifer's pain. I can almost make out that scene and it makes me want to shiver and gets me sick, both.”

“But nothing in that act suggests anything like that,” David exclaimed, “it only your imagination, nothing more.”

“I have a good imagination, but this is not! It is because she was awake during those seven stabbings. That card was at the center of her breast and she likely felt as each knife went in,” I saw several people growing increasingly uncomfortable. Still I went on relentlessly, “She was bound but barely able to move and gagged with great efficiency so she could not cry out. Why else, unless he wanted her awake as he killed her. Why else if he wanted to savor her fear and pain?”

“What you are suggesting, “Duncan put in, “should have a number of bodies similarly murdered. Where are they?”

“We are a very small town. The nearest city is over a hour away in both directions. Our police force usually does not deal with murder except for those of domestic violence or hunting accidents. There even evidence he set William Gardener up; that fight was caused by those strange calls she thought came from him. That strange voice whispered her pet name. This means he was watching her, stalking her for a long time. Then he used those messages to drive William away and maybe set him up as well. Then that murderer came in, killed her and left the rest to follow.”

“Still even if he only showed up in small towns those unique, elements should come forward in time,” Lee said.

“Not if he a drifter, going from state to state, killing only in small towns with limited police, no local news paper, and leaving potential pawns to pay for his crimes. It may be a long time before someone makes this connection if ever,” I argued.

Paul was shaking his head, I thought he thought my idea crazy but he said, “You worked that out from just those few details? A serial killer striking small towns and killing using the seven of hearts card.”

“It was that card and exactly how she died that clued me in that this was no murder of passion but one of careful sadistic design,” I replied.

“It does makes more sense,” Moira Morris said softly, “All his church is there, as were all those from his veterinary clinic. Besides animal lovers or doctors usually are are not usually the ones killing people. Though there have been a few.”

“True yet in William’s case that shows he is grounded in his community, not a recluse, he just does not fit the model of this kind of killing,” I replied.

“But if she been shot by his rifle that would be different?” Sam asked.

“Exactly, then the prosecutions assertion might have moved even me, but not with that other evidence.”

“And you got all that from researching a book?” David ask.

“Yes,” I admitted, “It was a murder mystery, I choose a far different model, but I researched them all before I made my decision. I never thought I’d use that information now to help solve this mysterious murder, but at least I’d hope it will save that poor man innocent life and thwart the evil man plans.”

“I don’t know about that but I think we know enough to vote, all agreed?” Paul asked and all nodded. I returned to my seat next to Millie, who whispered, “I’m impressed, you did a great job.”

“Thank you,” I whispered back as Paul called out, “raise your hands if you think he is guilty,” no hands, not even Sam’s or Dave’s went up. “Not Guilty,” and most of the hands went up but a few hesitated, looked around then slowly joined the rest till all hands are raised.

Paul wrote down the verdict pleased it was unanimous. He too had hoped William was innocent but found it hard to accept. The evidence seemed so compelling only now it no longer was As he now went to the door to let the guard know we were finished, he also was glad he gotten me to talk. Now an innocent man would not die but what of the guilty one?

We sat together waiting till the guard looked in and told us to follow. Then we followed her to another narrow hall we exited the court from. We waited there a while.

I do not know how long but then we were filing back into the court room. The verdict surprised everyone but the strange thing was after the euphoria William began to weep, Then I realized as we were ushered out, it was likely because now he could truly mourn the woman he loved! At least till now he knew he was not joining her.

It was several months later when an News article from the Buffalo News caught my eye. The Seven Heart Assassin is Finally Caught. The seven Heart Assassin? I started reading that story, apparently a private detective name Malfort got involved in this case because his friend Kale Valero fiancee was getting strange calls and feared someone was stalking her.

It seems Kal too had someone stalking him five years back and, a friends who was a scientist who was kidnapped and almost killed, and his employer at the time. So when his girlfriend started complaining he contacted the same detective who solved that case. The detective then who traveled to that country town of Warsaw and found a place to stay in East Aurora which turned out better in the end.

The story said Kale was struck by a car soon after his friend got there, hit and run and ended up hospitalized with a broken leg and concussion. So now his fiancee was alone in her families house on Jefferson Street in Warsaw.

Yet somehow this detective knew she was targeted by a killer because he also staked the placed out some how, undetected and when the man seemed to be making his move, the detective said, he moved in with his dog.

Sheriff Howard said they were called even before Malfort entered her house but when they got there the dog, who had been wounded, pinned the assailant to the ground growling threateningly, ignoring the slashing cut in his leg and chest. Also when they came in Sally Hulme Kale fiancee was free though ropes were still visible beneath her rob and she held a cloth under that robe where she been stabbed.

Detective Malfort had a gun also trained on the assailant but when the sheriff and his men came toward the room he called his dog off the man and put away his gun which he had trained on him.

That man was taken away as Sally went to Warsaw General were Kale was. Detective Malfort then informed them the man had an apartment in East Aurora and where and what number, saying his room was on the same floor. They got a warrant only to find dozens of black bags, like the empty one they saw at the scene of the crime.

Inside each bag was Jewelry, photographs and books, all sorts of things belonging a pictured women, taken from her obituary. They then contacted each community were these obituaries originated and this opened up the reality that this man was a serial killer!

This fact also freed several innocent men that evil man framed for his crimes but sadly two died with the death penalty in two of those places before their innocents was discovered.

I was pleased to hear a small town had those people were able to finally solve this crime and put poor Jenifer parents at peace and stop those killings. I said a quick prayer of thanks for all those poor men freed from prison, and those two less fortunate victims as well as all those innocent women, then returned to reading the paper. I needed the comics just then.