Which is more viable for space colonization? (poll)

Which is more viable for space colonization?

• Total voters

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Ever since the earliest days of science fiction, people have dreamed of going in to space. After the Space Race and the resultant moon landings, the idea that man would eventually leave Earth and settle on to distant moons and planets in colonies of giant Plexiglas domes, underground cities or terra-formed planets.

Now, unfortunately, these sorts of dreams were put on to the far back-burner after the Cold War when no-one basically cared about going in to space anymore, even though this idea still permeates modern science-fiction (Battlestar Galactica, Halo, Star Trek, to name a few), and is very much the talk of scientists and engineers who dream of man going back in to space.

So I'd like to ask: which do you think, of the options given above, is more viable for space colonization?
Personally, I think the best idea would be some form of colony ship that could, upon arrival at a suitable planet, become the start of a planetary colony.

Please note: this whole thread is based on hypothetical ideas/wishful thinking. Please do not take it as attempts to bash science, preach your religious beliefs or just be a generally annoying person. I want this thread to be something fun.

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I think that might qualify as small scale terra-forming.
And I still need to see that film! And/or read the book as well.
It's very good, you should see it.

Well they have a little space base on the planet, and then start growing stuff in the soil, looks pretty reasonable. Start off with some sort of base and slowly expand by planting stuff.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
It's very good, you should see it.

Well they have a little space base on the planet, and then start growing stuff in the soil, looks pretty reasonable. Start off with some sort of base and slowly expand by planting stuff.

I'll probably buy the DVD in the coming weeks.

And I think I've heard some reviews saying that is quite scientifically viable. And it is. It's basically the same principle as a greenhouse: build crops/plants capable of surviving in non-Earth soil (obviously after a tonne of trial and error), then when you find which one's work, just expand the size of the greenhouse as you get capable of growing more plants.
Although obviously, you'd have to do controlled experiments to find which plants can survive in non-Earth atmospheres to see if terra-forming via introduced plants is viable or not.

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'll probably buy the DVD in the coming weeks.

And I think I've heard some reviews saying that is quite scientifically viable. And it is. It's basically the same principle as a greenhouse: build crops/plants capable of surviving in non-Earth soil (obviously after a tonne of trial and error), then when you find which one's work, just expand the size of the greenhouse as you get capable of growing more plants.
Although obviously, you'd have to do controlled experiments to find which plants can survive in non-Earth atmospheres to see if terra-forming via introduced plants is viable or not.
Still, you have to expand the greenhouse to keep the plants in. Not sure how they'd actually make Mars viable without a big greenhouse protecting you.

I guess cos all the plants emit oxygen, that could slowly change the atmospheric makeup? Not sure where they'd get all the CO2 to begin with though.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Still, you have to expand the greenhouse to keep the plants in. Not sure how they'd actually make Mars viable without a big greenhouse protecting you.

I guess cos all the plants emit oxygen, that could slowly change the atmospheric makeup? Not sure where they'd get all the CO2 to begin with though.

Unless someone invents some kind of terra-former which can make the planet's atmosphere breathable to humans and plants, then we introduce plants in to the soil, then we work from there.

Although looking it up, even Mar's atmosphere is 10 times thinner than Earth's, it is 95% CO2 (well, 95.32%). Although I'm not sure how much an impact such a high amount of CO2 would have on plants.

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Unless someone invents some kind of terra-former which can make the planet's atmosphere breathable to humans and plants, then we introduce plants in to the soil, then we work from there.

Although looking it up, even Mar's atmosphere is 10 times thinner than Earth's, it is 95% CO2 (well, 95.32%). Although I'm not sure how much an impact such a high amount of CO2 would have on plants.
Well if you managed to have entire forests going on Mars that would hopefully start making the atmosphere more breathable.

What do you think is the chief benefit of people living on Mars though? Just an insurance policy if the earth goes kaput? Otherwise I don't really see the appeal of living on an arid dry rock, not sure who'd actually move there apart from space enthusiasts.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Well if you managed to have entire forests going on Mars that would hopefully start making the atmosphere more breathable.

What do you think is the chief benefit of people living on Mars though? Just an insurance policy if the earth goes kaput? Otherwise I don't really see the appeal of living on an arid dry rock, not sure who'd actually move there apart from space enthusiasts.

As I said before, you'd need to do controlled experiments to be sure that the plants can survive in both the CO2 rich atmosphere AND the Martian soil.

As for the main benefits, it's quite a few things. The insurance policy is a valid one, but we've also got the fact that Mars could potentially be host to numerous metals and heavy elements which could help heavy industry on Earth, and possibly Mars itself if we get large cities going. Plus, we could also use Mars as a sort of way station for any more extra-planetary expeditions.

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
As I said before, you'd need to do controlled experiments to be sure that the plants can survive in both the CO2 rich atmosphere AND the Martian soil.

As for the main benefits, it's quite a few things. The insurance policy is a valid one, but we've also got the fact that Mars could potentially be host to numerous metals and heavy elements which could help heavy industry on Earth, and possibly Mars itself if we get large cities going. Plus, we could also use Mars as a sort of way station for any more extra-planetary expeditions.
Not gonna lie, the boy inside me gets pretty excited at the prospect of colonising the solar system and who knows how much further.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Not gonna lie, the boy inside me gets pretty excited at the prospect of colonising the solar system and who knows how much further.

I have a good feeling that everyone that likes science fiction does. Although for now, I'd settle for power armour.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
It isn't going to happen. Not so long ago people were fretting about a hole in the ozone layer doing irreparable damage to the fragile biology of life on Earth.

Just imagine it was going to happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Much as I'd love colony ships filling the galaxy, I'm not sure it'll ever be feasible.

I think the space stations will be possible (we've had a couple of primitive ones already), but they E probably difficulties in getting them to the size of something like Elysium.

Tera forming is an awesome concept, but most versions seem to need millennia at the least, so maybe a back burner issue.

However i think we could make some awesome dome colonies on Mars, Mercury and the larger dwarf planets in the asteroid belt.

So that's how I interpret a mixed answer.

It isn't going to happen. Not so long ago people were fretting about a hole in the ozone layer doing irreparable damage to the fragile biology of life on Earth.
It's still a problem. The thin section of the ozone layer leaves the southern hemisphere with more danger of skin cancer. That said it is slowly getting better after we all just stopped using fluro carbon in our spray cans.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Underground...with the directive to move to the surface when it is feasible to, both technologically and environmentally,even if it under a dome.

Plus near constant access to geothermal energy and resources.

Upvote 0