Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Science requires a reproducible event.
We don't know the date or the severity.
Only the extent and time frame.

Science needs evidence. We don't have evidence of a flooded earth.

We don't know how much water came
from above, how much below, how
turbulent it was, or the conditions
of the earths crust before or during.

We know how much water it would take, we know how much water there is on and in the earth. The two do not match.

Upvote 0
J

Jazer

We know how much water it would take, we know how much water there is on and in the earth. The two do not match.
There does seem to be overwelming evidence that Noah's flood was what we would now call local in nature. Not world wide as was once suggested. From Noah's perspective things may have been a little different then today from our perspective.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Science needs evidence. We don't have evidence of a flooded earth.

I agree. My faith includes a large number of stories that Science is unable to confirm. Those things that have been confirmed, are sufficient for me do take the rest on Faith. I don't claim my beliefs to be based on the abilities on modern science to confirm them. Some have that much confidence in modern science created in the last 200 years (man started using tools oh..3.4 million y.a?) , I don't. What percent would that be? 200/3.4m years x 100 = ?

That is based on a number of assumptions that may not be correct. The flood may have altered the earth's crust. As I stated.
Theorize the sea floor dropping 10% and the land raising 20%. That might eliminate the volume missing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree. My faith includes a large number of stories that Science is unable to confirm. Those things that have been confirmed, are sufficient for me do take the rest on Faith. I don't claim my beliefs to be based on the abilities on modern science to confirm them. Some have that much confidence in modern science created in the last 200 years (man started using tools oh..3.4 million y.a?) , I don't. What percent would that be? 200/3.4m years x 100 = ?

Not to derail the thread, but I would like to see some evidence of things that have been confirmed from the Bible. I haven't seen enough confirmed to keep my faith.

That said, science as a process has proven to be the best way to find out things. Sometimes it gets it wrong, but it self corrects. I really don't see anyone correcting the Bible when details are found wrong. Just because something is old doesn't make it correct.

That is based on a number of assumptions that may not be correct. The flood may have altered the earth's crust. As I stated.
Theorize the sea floor dropping 10% and the land raising 20%. That might eliminate the volume missing.

Again, what evidence for a flood. There isn't enough water on or in the Earth. There isn't a massive disturbance of dirt and debris. There isn't a large collection of bones at one level due to animals and plants being drowned. There isn't any evidence that there was a massive shifting of the entire Earth's crust to lower or raise the land by 20% in such a short time. Such an event would leave evidence in the geologic column and to my knowledge there isn't any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Tiberius

Jun 28, 2005
✟6,911.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not to derail the thread, but I would like to see some evidence of things that have been confirmed from the Bible. I haven't seen enough confirmed to keep my faith.

Typically, the things that are in the Bible that have been confirmed by science are the things that the people of the time would have known about, even if they didn't understand the processes underlying those things.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Typically, the things that are in the Bible that have been confirmed by science are the things that the people of the time would have known about, even if they didn't understand the processes underlying those things.
Like the universe expanding ...

Psalm 104:2b ... who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain:

... or electronic communications?

Job 38:35 Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we are?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can stretch out a blanket on the ground. Does that mean the blanket is constantly getting larger?
It doesn't mean you're God, either.

You can't stretch a blanked like God stretched the universe.

Upvote 0

SplendidTree

Legend
Aug 8, 2009
✟53,000.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Mod Hat On

9sru46.jpg

This thread has undergone a cleanup due to the violation of CF rules.

Flaming and Harassment: Do not insult, belittle, mock, goad, personally attack, threaten, harass, or use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members or groups of members. Address the context of the post, not the poster.

Please remember to stick to the rules and stay on topic. Happy posting! :)

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NailsII

Life-long student of biological science
Jul 25, 2007
UK
✟9,647.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This is from a college biology course:
scimeth.gif
The Scientific Process
Ok, so your observation is that the bible says the whole world was flooded around 4,000 years ago.
From this you make a hypothesis that confirms your faith.
Then you need to experiment.

You are the one making the claim, you need to back it up - you have already been told this several times in this thread, but you have not acknowledged this point.
Evolutionism is spiritual, intellectual, and moral vandalism. It's goal is to prevent the discovery of truth.
Got any evidence to back up that claim?
Otherwise this is just slander, and quite possibly in direct violation of the 9th commandment.
The real evidence is in the research they have done looking for off shore oil in the coral reef. 12,000 years ago the water level was 300 feet lower then what it is now. The Biodiversity of all the various islands means there could not have been a world wide flood. Noah could not have gone all over the world picking up all the various animals and then returning them to exactly where he got them from.

The story of Noah and the Ark is still a true story. It just was not a world wide flood as some people believe. The flood just involved the land of Eden.
Sounds more plausible, but you will still need to provide evidence to support your position.

The ball is in your court. You are the one making the claims!
Absolutely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok, so your observation is that the bible says the whole world was flooded around 4,000 years ago.
From this you make a hypothesis that confirms your faith.
Then you need to experiment.
You are the one making the claim, you need to back it up - you have already been told this several times in this thread, but you have not acknowledged this point.

Because it's not a valid point.
If God acts on this world, the result is a miraculous event. Science CAN only draw natural conclusions.

Science is not allowed to say "God did this" or provide evidence of such. If it could, it would be "natural."

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NailsII

Jul 25, 2007
UK
✟9,647.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Because it's not a valid point.
If God acts on this world, the result is a miraculous event. Science CAN only draw natural conclusions.

Science is not allowed to say "God did this" or provide evidence of such. If it could, it would be "natural."
So why would anyone in their right minds ask for science to disprove something supernatural?
BTW, god is only supernatural because there is no evidence of him existing - the same could be said for the devil, ghosts, fairies.....

For an interventionist god to be supernatural would require him to embark on a clean-up job after the event - so if he flooded the entire earth, then hid the evidence.

The non-existant and the supernatural look very similar.

Upvote 0

NailsII

Jul 25, 2007
UK
✟9,647.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
Then why on earth do you believe them and where do you draw the line on what you are prepared to believe?
There is a LOT LOT LOT of the Bible that we can verify is true. Both subjective and objective. There is NONE of the Bible that anyone can disprove. So there is no reason NOT to believe all of the Bible. That is not even the issue. The issue is to understand the message God has for us today in His written word. There are people that do not believe the flood story in the Bible. The real problem is they do not believe their understanding of Noah's flood. Perhaps the problem is not the Bible, perhaps the problem is they have not learned how to trust in God to help them understand the Bible and it's message for them in their lives today.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaSun

Feb 24, 2011
✟2,613.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There is a LOT LOT LOT of the Bible that we can verify is true. Both subjective and objective. There is NONE of the Bible that anyone can disprove. So there is no reason NOT to believe all of the Bible. That is not even the issue. The issue is to understand the message God has for us today in His written word. There are people that do not believe the flood story in the Bible. The real problem is they do not believe their understanding of Noah's flood. Perhaps the problem is not the Bible, perhaps the problem is they have not learned how to trust in God to help them understand the Bible and it's message for them in their lives today.
I'd be happy to see corroborating evidence that the Romans or Quirinius ever ordered a census of the Jews. Seems it was all fabrication to get Jesus to Bethelem so "prophecy" could be fulfilled.

Upvote 0

Tiberius

Jun 28, 2005
✟6,911.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0